Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

just tried final fantasy 14, lol, what is this forums obsession with that game, it's just wow with a more busy interface and a victory fanfare whenever you win a battle

yeah but unlike wow it has actual moderation so there aren't people shouting slurs in yell-chat in the newbie zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I just want to know what tragic event occurred in JollyBoy's life that made him hate just about every genre of videogame. It's gotta be a struggle coming up with new complaints after all this time.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Hector Delgado posted:

I just want to know what tragic event occurred in JollyBoy's life that made him hate just about every genre of videogame. It's gotta be a struggle coming up with new complaints after all this time.

He's just Scottish.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hector Delgado posted:

playing dota

Rascar Capac posted:

He's just Scottish.

also valid

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hector Delgado posted:

One time, my friend Alex got slapped in the head while we were playing Konami MoCap Boxing on the boardwalk.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
also while i agree i make too many posts in this thread and in general am addicted to playing videogames despite seeming to hate them, i will never say a slur against a first person shooter

genuinely think i love the bioshock games more than anyone on this forum

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't let them get you down fellow video game disliker, it's okay to not like bad video games (almost all of them)

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

FF14 defenders unironically write "the first 40 hours suck but then it gets really good".

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

KonvexKonkav posted:

FF14 defenders unironically write "the first 40 hours suck but then it gets really good".

I was tricked by this selling point and by the time I was through the second expansion I said "wait this poo poo sucks, it's still not getting any better". The only way this is true is if you like garbage anime cutscenes where there's maybe a sum total of 10 minutes of cool poo poo happening and the rest is just unbelievable tedium. Even if you skip all the cutscenes it takes forever to bounce from one dungeon to the next without much of anything fun happening inbetween

Granted I was a broke brained FFXI player but in that game you could just mash skip through the garbage anime cutscenes and there was an actual game to play even if everything about it was a bad idea. You actually had to make decisions and consider your build and communicate with your party members, you know, like a game

In FFXIV the lovely cutscenes seem to be the appeal because it's definitely not the very very mindless gameplay where you just do your classes optimized rotations over and over, maybe it gets better closer to end game but I'm not putting in another 200 hours on the off chance the gameplay becomes good

Edit: I almost forgot, sometimes the game will be like "dude make sure you have plenty of time set aside for these next cutscenes, they're super important poo poo'S GONNA GO OFF THE RAILS" and every single time it was so, so boring to sit through that I started skipping those too

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 6, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zil posted:

Is there really any other option?

There is also potato

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ff14 owns cuz it is just a chill place to hang out. Gameplay is not demanding, anime cutscenes are inoffensive and vaguely entertaining. But the mus9c is so sick and owns so much that it's nice to just be in the game and do whatever hang out, do a dungeon, do some story, listen to the sick tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evRptEAB808

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7K_BowsTtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ascfjJXDWjo

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 6, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pretty soft girl posted:

I was tricked by this selling point and by the time I was through the second expansion I said "wait this poo poo sucks, it's still not getting any better". The only way this is true is if you like garbage anime cutscenes where there's maybe a sum total of 10 minutes of cool poo poo happening and the rest is just unbelievable tedium. Even if you skip all the cutscenes it takes forever to bounce from one dungeon to the next without much of anything fun happening inbetween

Granted I was a broke brained FFXI player but in that game you could just mash skip through the garbage anime cutscenes and there was an actual game to play even if everything about it was a bad idea. You actually had to make decisions and consider your build and communicate with your party members, you know, like a game

In FFXIV the lovely cutscenes seem to be the appeal because it's definitely not the very very mindless gameplay where you just do your classes optimized rotations over and over, maybe it gets better closer to end game but I'm not putting in another 200 hours on the off chance the gameplay becomes good

Edit: I almost forgot, sometimes the game will be like "dude make sure you have plenty of time set aside for these next cutscenes, they're super important poo poo'S GONNA GO OFF THE RAILS" and every single time it was so, so boring to sit through that I started skipping those too

FFXIV has the problem where your character's skillset while leveling gets worse and more simplified every expansion
they keep each job around ~30 total skills so it's not total overload at endgame but that means to make room for the cool new buttons and mechanics added in the latest expansion they're always cutting stuff out and simplifying the skillset in everywhere but the last 10 levels
so you end up spending the first 50 levels pressing like 3 buttons in combat max because all the complexity got pushed to the latest expansion

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

fridge corn posted:

Ff14 owns cuz it is just a chill place to hang out. Gameplay is not demanding, anime cutscenes are inoffensive and vaguely entertaining. But the mus9c is so sick and owns so much that it's nice to just be in the game and do whatever hang out, do a dungeon, do some story, listen to the sick tunes.

This is true, it is definitely a good looking and good sounding game and not just in a "for an mmo" kind of way, which is a genre where it's almost required by law that everything be ugly as sin (and unlike FFXI which had a similar contemporary reputation for looking and sounding good, it doesn't repeatedly punch you in the balls for trying to play it)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 is an extremely long-form Final Fantasy JRPG first and an MMO, like, fourth.

If you had access to NPC companions for dungeons (and raids) it would be an entirely single-player experience and the game itself (or, rather, the players’ experience of the world and story) wouldn’t really be diminished in any way.

You’d miss out on the excellent community though, and it’s funner to do dungeons and raids with real people.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
FFXI was such an awful game lol. I used to be a big time FF weeb as a kid, and it was so bad I never played any (newer) FF since then. Don't even want to try them

itry
Aug 23, 2019

KonvexKonkav posted:

I thought that was FF13

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can be a cat. You can be a dragon. You can be little person with BIG attitude.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

itry posted:

I thought that was FF13

its every jrpg

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

FF14 is an extremely long-form Final Fantasy JRPG first and an MMO, like, fourth.

If you had access to NPC companions for dungeons (and raids) it would be an entirely single-player experience and the game itself (or, rather, the players’ experience of the world and story) wouldn’t really be diminished in any way.

You’d miss out on the excellent community though, and it’s funner to do dungeons and raids with real people.

This post is a lie.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KonvexKonkav posted:

it takes about 40 hours to finish the msq, which is why this is considered "the part where it gets good." however, you have to do another 40 hours of fetch quests to actually start the story part of the first expansion. most veteran players memory-holed this, because in 2014 or 2015 or whenever heavensward came out, this was exciting and engaging for them on account of they were pumped to finally have new major content. but in retrospect, this busywork is so bad that enix keeps talking about, and pushing back, a total fat-trimming overhaul of this interlude segment.

in actual practice, they just sell a one-time pass per account that lets you skip that part and get straight to the meat of the expansion content for $20 :thunk:

also what excellent community the only part of the community i ever saw was horny dudes pming my dragon lady character to get me to join their erp linkshells or whatever

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fur20 posted:

it takes about 40 hours to finish the msq, which is why this is considered "the part where it gets good." however, you have to do another 40 hours of fetch quests to actually start the story part of the first expansion. most veteran players memory-holed this, because in 2014 or 2015 or whenever heavensward came out, this was exciting and engaging for them on account of they were pumped to finally have new major content. but in retrospect, this busywork is so bad that enix keeps talking about, and pushing back, a total fat-trimming overhaul of this interlude segment.

in actual practice, they just sell a one-time pass per account that lets you skip that part and get straight to the meat of the expansion content for $20 :thunk:

also what excellent community the only part of the community i ever saw was horny dudes pming my dragon lady character to get me to join their erp linkshells or whatever

Veteran players memory holed it because they didn't do those 40 hours of fetch quests all at once.
they were spread out over like 2 years of post-release content patches before the next expansion dropped.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: nvm, play games or don’t just try to have fun guys

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 6, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah but unlike wow it has actual moderation so there aren't people shouting slurs in yell-chat in the newbie zone

Can you at least shout memes, because what the gently caress is the point of wow if there is no barrens chat

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Is there still a goon crew in Furcadia?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked ffxiv for awhile but I skipped most of the cutscenes because lol video game story. I quit when I realized that white mage was the only class I really loved playing.

It was fun. I played a catboy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a game so good you can pay money to not play it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

Can you at least shout memes, because what the gently caress is the point of wow if there is no barrens chat

Yes you can shout as many memes as you want
overall it has a much less toxic/aggressive community than wow from what i can tell
people in random queue dungeons are chill too and won't harass you over suboptimal dps

on the other hand every world will have 1 or 2 adds for ERP brothels at the bottom of the "other" section in the partyfinder
afaik wow only has that on moongarden

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The only time I see people getting aggro in FFXIV is in Extreme raids where the boss has a unique instakill gimmick and not everyone is really understanding the instructions given by more experienced players. Even then it's just them begging everyone to give up after X amount of party wipes, and frankly it's probably for the best so everyone involved can take a break and maybe just look up what they did wrong.

The only MMO community I would say is friendlier in my experience is Fallout 76, but they're so generous with giving random newbies stuff that it just ends up overloading your carry limit.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 7, 2022

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've seen people get aggro over daily random dungeons, but while totally unacceptable to subject other players to, it's usually for places like loving aurum vale

which speaks more to poor level design than poor player base really

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'd be curious to compare how it felt before and after the mass WoW exodus

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

You can be a cat. You can be a dragon. You can be little person with BIG attitude.

I don't want to play as Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
What's ERP in this context?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Erotic role play

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

people want to bang the catgirls and the bunnygirls its very unwholesome

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
sounds lucrative

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

kntfkr posted:

What's ERP in this context?

Exposure and Response Prevention therapy.

Expose yourself to videogames and prevent the usual gamer response. I think a lot of gamers need this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

people want to bang the catgirls and the bunnygirls its very unwholesome

Not the dragon girls????

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
banging the dragongirls is okay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIV is so much busy work for a story that I couldn't begin to give a poo poo about because it itself, felt like busy work. Like all MMOs the promise of "this is when you have fun" is off in the future somewhere except instead of just mindlessly grinding Im also mindlessly sitting through cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I only play two MMOs. Elder Scrolls Online (rarely tbh) which is basically played like any other Elder Scrolls to me, and Destiny 2, which is less an MMO and more just a bang bang shooty game.

I tried playing WoW and got to like level 7 and said gently caress this. Same with TOR. And every other MMO. My brain likes the idea of MMOs but in practice I just don't vibe with many.