Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah training. Fortunately there's a counter on our system for total number of training "items" completed. I'm at 480.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Training is one leg of the tripod that is slowly driving me insane. The other two are document control and yearly review.

They're the reason I have a document that is now two pages long and up to version 19.7 that is unchanged in principle since 1984.

The subject of this document is how to pour out a bottle of liquor.

Later this quarter I will have to verify nothing has changed in the past year, update the version to 19.8, and re-upload it to the document control software.

Later that day the document control software will email my boss and tell him I have not been trained yet on document version 19.8.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

tumblr hype man fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 19, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Ah training. Fortunately there's a counter on our system for total number of training "items" completed. I'm at 480.

730, not counting up-version "delta trainings" (e.g., SOP updated from v1.0 to v2.0 & here's what changed)

Corporate training is such a mess. Nobody remembers 480 separate procedures or training programs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sure, I'll present our project to the larger group. I'll just sign us up for a slot on Thursday so I have plenty of time to prepare.

"Oh, hey, no one signed up to present today, can you do today can you can you can you"

...it actually went fine but I was not happy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Perfect opportunity to play the hero without having to actually do anything hard imo. No one pays any attention to presentations anyway, you can just throw together the world's dullest slide deck in half an hour and say whatever as long as you sound confident.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Perfect opportunity to play the hero without having to actually do anything hard imo. No one pays any attention to presentations anyway, you can just throw together the world's dullest slide deck in half an hour and say whatever as long as you sound confident.

Yup, that's pretty much what happened, so it worked out.

I am much less nervous about public speaking than I was when I was younger (though it's also much easier when I'm doing it over a headset rather than in person) but I still get nailed with anxiety when I'm put on the spot like I was today. Oh well!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I’ve apparently gotten really good at winging it for slide presentations that I have to do. Or my co-workers are just so bad that me cherry picking important sounding stuff off a slide and literally not just reading verbatim is considered “excellent” by multiple study managers and more importantly, they’ve told my boss and my boss^2 that I’m the best at them and they only want me to do them. I don’t think I’m doing anything very well and I spend about 10 minutes before the meetings reading through them, but I’ll take the compliments.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

I’ve apparently gotten really good at winging it for slide presentations that I have to do. Or my co-workers are just so bad that me cherry picking important sounding stuff off a slide and literally not just reading verbatim is considered “excellent” by multiple study managers and more importantly, they’ve told my boss and my boss^2 that I’m the best at them and they only want me to do them. I don’t think I’m doing anything very well and I spend about 10 minutes before the meetings reading through them, but I’ll take the compliments.

Apparently I've developed a reputation for being good at running meetings too, which is funny because I rarely intentionally run a meeting at my current job.

Maybe that's why.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

has anyone ever repeatedly sent warnings about a high impending workload months in advance, that more resources and manpower are needed, and this is completely ignored by higher ups and they just charge forward into a hosed up megadisaster? asking for a friend

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

has anyone ever repeatedly sent warnings about a high impending workload months in advance, that more resources and manpower are needed, and this is completely ignored by higher ups and they just charge forward into a hosed up megadisaster? asking for a friend

I think that's called a job

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Yep, it led me to apply to new jobs and saddle the poor sap who took over from me when I quit with the huge (entirely visible, explained multiple times months in advance) mess

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

The best part about having a reputation as the Super Presenter, if you play it right, is you can gently caress around for like 2 days and tell everyone you're preparing for your presentation.

Lockback posted:

I think that's called a job

lol. So very true.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Absolutely core to my corporate existence.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best part about having a reputation as the Super Presenter, if you play it right, is you can gently caress around for like 2 days and tell everyone you're preparing for your presentation.

I've gotten a reputation as doing well when airdropped into any presentation room on zero notice so I sadly don't get even that benefit.

Edit:vvvvv yep. Though in at least one case I knew the project better than the pm did.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 19, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

Careful. If you get too good of a reputation for this, they'll absolutely start tagging you to do presentations for other people. I had a few of those this year and they're not fun, especially if you're not the expert on the content and are also having to cover Q&A.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I should not care but I truly want to know what my teammate is doing.

They are simultaneously underperforming, underutilized, and somehow still taking lunches at their desk and logging off an hour late.

They literally told my manager they're only billing 30-35 out of 40 hours, so why the gently caress are they online after hours?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dpkg chopra posted:

They are simultaneously underperforming, underutilized, and somehow still taking lunches at their desk and logging off an hour late.

They literally told my manager they're only billing 30-35 out of 40 hours, so why the gently caress are they online after hours?

so they suck at their job and also suck at keeping track of it, and maybe post a lot about it throughout the day

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Enough about me, we’re talking about my teammate.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

dpkg chopra posted:

Which of their two jobs are you at?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dpkg chopra posted:

ADHD most likely

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Midjack posted:

I've gotten a reputation as doing well when airdropped into any presentation room on zero notice so I sadly don't get even that benefit.

Edit:vvvvv yep. Though in at least one case I knew the project better than the pm did.

Kind of same. Somewhere along the line I became good at these things but fortunately I haven't ever been parachuted into anything.

Mostly so far at my new job I've been farting out PowerPoints but seeing as almost everybody else is on another continent I haven't had to do any in person yet.

In other news, my boss apparently had to do the equivalent of an exam to explain the entire department and why it needs to exist that you literally get graded on and the grade is public. This happens every year and the department would quite literally prevent us from doing business if it didn't exist, and everyone on the "review board" knows this which makes it all the more weird.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

dpkg chopra posted:

2nding armchair adhd diagnosis but they possibly also haven’t caught on to correct charging of billed hours

Ask ‘em if they’re billing thought, meetings, and email time related to projects correctly. If they’re only charging when they’re physically processing the deliverable they are undercharging. I know people that did this well into seniority. If they’re doing all those right they’re being saddled with unbillable tasks, which is a management issue

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

knox_harrington posted:

ADHD most likely

Not a Children posted:

2nding armchair adhd diagnosis but they possibly also haven’t caught on to correct charging of billed hours

The first post's description combined with the other two analysis makes me feel like I just got read extremely hard here. I'm on generic adderall and it works... sometimes, but I still have an incredible amount of trouble switching from "having to actively support other groups" mode to "daily reports and wrap up," further compounded by the fact that the two can be done somewhat concurrently. I can't tell you why I struggle with it but I manage to do so while being actively aware that I'm doing so, which doesn't help matters.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Guy Axlerod posted:

Just got assigned hours and hours of training on our company's products. There is no way this will ever be useful to me. I don't use or sell our products.

when I joined big defense co i had to do a sum total of 120 hours of CBT (dual meaning). 40 of those hours were because they dropped a satellite 10 years ago because some QA idiot didnt check the bolts. I did the math of the number of people who took the training and figured out that the cost of that accident was less than the CBT cost assuming a burdened rate of $200/hr.

it's literally more expensive to train people not to gently caress up than to just gently caress up

but settlements are what they are

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 21, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

ADHD most likely

Dang, this actually makes sense.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

CarForumPoster posted:

when I joined big defense co i had to do a sum total of 120 hours of CBT (dual meaning). 40 of those hours were because they dropped a satellite 10 years ago because some QA idiot didnt check the bolts. I did the math of the number of people who took the training and figured out that the cost of that accident was less than the CBT cost assuming a burdened rate of $200/hr.

it's literally more expensive to train people not to gently caress up than to just gently caress up

but settlements are what they are

I had to do that training too! Well, mine wasn’t 40 hours of bullshit, just one CBT about don’t skip critical steps in your job. The annual one I used to do in the DoD about espionage was always pretty cool though. “Here, learn about a bunch of spies and what they did” like yeah I’ll learn about all of them even if it wasn’t required

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hotel Kpro posted:

I had to do that training too! Well, mine wasn’t 40 hours of bullshit, just one CBT about don’t skip critical steps in your job. The annual one I used to do in the DoD about espionage was always pretty cool though. “Here, learn about a bunch of spies and what they did” like yeah I’ll learn about all of them even if it wasn’t required

Here's the things we know to look out for, make sure not to do them in particular.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So had an update from my previous company with the (interim) manager who had a freakout when everyone quit. Someone from his team was waiting for her mat leave to end before giving her notice and he sent her a vaguely threatening email about how "it is a small community" and "actions like this will be remembered" lmao. He's still got it!

If anything he's even worse now because with me he sent that poo poo out to everyone BUT me but this he just sent to her. I think he was probably afraid of me yelling at him for being a loving rear end in a top hat whereas she would probably not. What a loving dick! Man I'm all annoyed again now.

Apparently they have signed a lease on a place that wasn't even one of the places we were looking at and it is a total poo poo office in comparison with no possibility for a lab. So it's good they have learned nothing!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Happy Christmas everyone. You know when I read the story of the three kings I feel it has a lot of parallels to my journey as a founder and CEO of ByteFart and when I look at how Christ was eventually crucified this is very much like where I am now following the allegations of sexual harassment and furthermore...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinkedInLunatics/

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Alas my only regret is that I got caught

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"Proudly independent and thriving" providing a lot of unintentional comedy there.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
“Due to a glitch with my phone”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well played by Susan making him humiliate himself on LinkedIn before divorcing him anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Please read my stupid, long, shaggy dog post about how I stopped to help sext someone on my way to an interview, and when I got there they were my interviewer.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I wish my org hated powerpoint as much as jeff bezos

https://twitter.com/nurijanian/status/1735431541273264545?s=20

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

I wish my org hated powerpoint as much as jeff bezos

https://twitter.com/nurijanian/status/1735431541273264545?s=20

I work as a UX designer, and I’ve heard that when you discuss or pitch features at Amazon you have to write an incredibly detailed word document detailing all of the features, functionality, and tech specs. Then you have a meeting with a lot of devs and everyone sits around together and reads the document and then they all grill you on the specifics.

I’ve also heard Amazon blows to work at.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Awkward Davies posted:

Good news! lots of companies are importing Amazon ideas and managers, so lots of companies will also suck for the same reasons!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Awkward Davies posted:

I work as a UX designer, and I’ve heard that when you discuss or pitch features at Amazon you have to write an incredibly detailed word document detailing all of the features, functionality, and tech specs. Then you have a meeting with a lot of devs and everyone sits around together and reads the document and then they all grill you on the specifics.

The idea is that people should read the design documents ahead of time, instead of skimming it at a review meeting.

The problem is that no one reads the design document ahead of time.

This is one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" compromises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This is a shameful admission but I've kind of grown to like PowerPoint for some things. It kind of forces me to be brief instead of rambling on.

That said there is definitely a place for proper documents ("but we're agile now!" The PMs scream into their kanban boards), unfortunately our template docs are completely poo poo.

Also you get a lol when someone spends a 10 page 2000 word specification document and it's actually 90% the template stuff that they haven't removed or just wrote "this section does not apply".