Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

pinned build thread works best for such postings.
AFAIK liquid metal gets absorbed into pure copper surfaces and dries out after a few months, works better with nickel IHS. maybe you used paste though :shrug:

e: oh no, a new page! Vega 7! 16GB HBM! esports esports esports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

eames posted:

pinned build thread works best for such postings.
AFAIK liquid metal gets absorbed into pure copper surfaces and dries out after a few months, works better with nickel IHS. maybe you used paste though :shrug:

e: oh no, a new page! Vega 7! 16GB HBM! esports esports esports!

Lol I didn't know that existed sorry. Well this is my favorite thread : p I guess I'll leave it for the SG13 bracket mod stuff. That info really wasn't out there anywhere. Another weird quirk about that is the G12 bracket isn't supposed to work with 2000 series cards but the AMD bracket fits perfectly on it. It's not even half assed, it's like it was specifically designed for it. I wonder why NVidia switched to an AMD pattern

I forgot to mention but I did think about the IHS over time. I opted for Kryonaut instead of liquid metal for longevity, and it's advertised as non curing. I did that for resale purposes more than anything

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MagusDraco posted:

Feeling pretty good about spending $520 on a barely used 1080ti and selling my 1070 for like $220 to a friend and just sitting on this for the next couple years. Upgrade to zen2 at some point I guess

Kinda stuck with Nvidia gpus though between the gsync monitor and gamestream on a shield tv.

Same here, my $400 1080 from September is proving to be a pretty decent choice. The whole being locked into Gsync kinda sucks though

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Same here, my $400 1080 from September is proving to be a pretty decent choice. The whole being locked into Gsync kinda sucks though

Next week you can use Freesync, maybe

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

At least they're supporting adaptive sync finally on the off chance I ever update my monitor (Acer xb271hu). Probably won't until it dies/4k HDR gaming becomes very mainstream on pcs.

Not really expecting gpus to get strong enough for it for awhile though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

Next week you can use Freesync, maybe

People who bought cards are fine, people who got tired of waiting and bought a monitor are locked in to Nvidia for the next decade/however long the display is relevant. Given that Nvidia isn't exactly dropping the entire idea of Gsync and are pushing it into HDR etc, it's not like they're completely out of the woods. You're just a cornered audience hoping that AMD does not crush Nvidia on card prices while Nvidia refuses to budge.

Fortunately it looks like AMD realized they could just Make More Money if they just collude and raise the price of flagship PC gaming to $1700+.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
16gb of hbm2 seems a bit overkill, doesn't it? I'd gladly take half that if it knocked $75 off the price of the card

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Craptacular! posted:

People who bought cards are fine, people who got tired of waiting and bought a monitor are locked in to Nvidia for the next decade/however long the display is relevant.
They could you know, sell it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If I cared that much I would just buy a new monitor tbh

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Had the unfortunate circumstance of having a monitor poo poo the bed AND needing a new GPU at the same time, and wasn't in a position to wait.
So, I bought both GSync and an Nvidia GPU approx a week ago. Feels bad, man! :smith:
(I'm consoling myself with at least getting a decent deal on them.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sounds like you're in the return period

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

betterinsodapop posted:

Had the unfortunate circumstance of having a monitor poo poo the bed AND needing a new GPU at the same time, and wasn't in a position to wait.
So, I bought both GSync and an Nvidia GPU approx a week ago. Feels bad, man! :smith:
(I'm consoling myself with at least getting a decent deal on them.)

you still bought the best gpu for the most current popular games and the best version of gsync

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
According to Jim (AdoredTV)'s sources AMD wanted to announce Navi today but they still don't have it in a working state so rebranding Vega 7nm as a consumer product was their backup plan:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/1083082508307218433

E: that's probably also why we got the RX 590 as well, so they would have something for the mid range.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 9, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea seems a bit goofy, but Vega on 7nm shouldn't be too bad should it? Would the reason they went with 16GB be because the HBM is not made in smaller chunks (4G per chip vs like 1-2G)? So they put 4 on there just to get that 1TB/s transfer rate to feed that GPU even if you're never going to use all 16G in a game with that card.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Fauxtool posted:

you still bought the best gpu for the most current popular games and the best version of gsync
That post felt like a hug. Thank you. :unsmith:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

chami posted:

lol @ people who bought the leak that it would be $300

That was Navi which probably won't be released for quite some time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good to see AMD keeping the tradition alive of GPU naming making no dang sense.

Sure this is a product that we already named Vega, and sure we already had a product named Radeon 7. How about we call it Radeon VII!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Probably late to this party but +35% (claimed) over presumably Vega 64 on BF5 at 4k would put it kinda on par with a 2080. At the same basic price...

Still, if true, options are nice. Feels like forever since both companies had two new products competing with each other rather than panic price cuts

I have exactly zero faith in early marketing with AMD anymore though. I am glad to see the release date so soon though, cuts out a lot of that really early bs, at least we'll know soon enough

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

1gnoirents posted:

Probably late to this party but +35% (claimed) over presumably Vega 64 on BF5 at 4k would put it kinda on par with a 2080. At the same basic price...

Still, if true, options are nice. Feels like forever since both companies had two new products competing with each other rather than panic price cuts

I have exactly zero faith in early marketing with AMD anymore though. I am glad to see the release date so soon though, cuts out a lot of that really early bs, at least we'll know soon enough

That's if it hits claimed perf or AMD doesn't play games with the price again like they did with the "rebates" to resellers.

Plus, it's still the same price for two GPUs in the same perf bracket but one has Ray Tracing. I dunno, not seeing a big change in the market....

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Vega VII, sure, whatever.

What I want to know is that AMD does at the 2070 and 2060 tier.

Does AMD have anything NEW that they can just cut Nvidia off at the knees with their $350 2060 MSRP?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm gonna be in the market for a 2070 level amd solution when buying my zen2 machine, very interested in vega7 56 or whatever right now.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea seems a bit goofy, but Vega on 7nm shouldn't be too bad should it? Would the reason they went with 16GB be because the HBM is not made in smaller chunks (4G per chip vs like 1-2G)? So they put 4 on there just to get that 1TB/s transfer rate to feed that GPU even if you're never going to use all 16G in a game with that card.

Well, ~30% faster than a Vega 64 is...fine, I guess - the problem is they want $700 for it, same as a 2080. So at best, you get 2080 performance in DX12 titles, likely lesser in DX11, and no RTX for the same price.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Is it logical for the 7nm process to make its way down the product stack? An actually improved 480 580 590 seems like it would be a hit as well

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

1gnoirents posted:

Is it logical for the 7nm process to make its way down the product stack? An actually improved 480 580 590 seems like it would be a hit as well

That's what Navi is supposed to be but it sounds like RTG is having issues making it work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boy, RTG must be a pretty tense place right now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Boy, RTG must be a pretty tense place right now.
Stay in a house on fire or get poached by Intel; they'd better have some mean ping pong tables there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Well, ~30% faster than a Vega 64 is...fine, I guess - the problem is they want $700 for it, same as a 2080. So at best, you get 2080 performance in DX12 titles, likely lesser in DX11, and no RTX for the same price.

RTX has to actually prove it’s anything beyond buzzwords and hype that doesn’t get adoption.

With the monitor wars largely over, and DX12 looking decent, I’m not sure why people expect AMD to price less and not make it up on pack-in games and such. The only people who need to buy Nvidia if the products are apples-to-apples comparison are the people who need CUDA.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t like it either. But ever since the 1080 was released, too many fuckers bought $700-800 video cards. So here we are. This is what PC gaming solipsism costs now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 10, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Radeon VII is already cutdown from the full die size apparently. The die (Vega 20) has the same number of CUs as Vega 10, but 4 are disabled. It's a 'Vega 60' but on 7nm and with higher clocks. I assume yields aren't great on TSMC 7nm yet which explains the move, but its interesting. Of course, the 2080 and 2080 Ti aren't using their full TU104/TU102 dies either.

But AMD WILL sell you a full 64CU Radeon VII with 32gb of HBM2 if you run big iron... but if you have to ask the price, you cant afford it :grin:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

RTX has to actually prove it’s anything beyond buzzwords and hype that doesn’t get adoption.

With the monitor wars largely over, and DX12 looking decent, I’m not sure why people expect AMD to price less and not make it up on pack-in games and such. The only people who need to buy Nvidia if the products are apples-to-apples comparison are the people who need CUDA.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t like it either. But ever since the 1080 was released, too many fuckers bought $700-800 video cards. So here we are. This is what PC gaming solipsism costs now.

(still dont get it lol)

Honestly I am surprised at the $700 price tag. AMD's main tool to stay competitive in ...years jesus... is their pricing and, though not directly related, very aggressive reactionary pricing . Now I guess on one hand they can just be taking advantage of the huge inflation Nvidia dumped on everybody due to lack of competition from ... AMD... and trying to get some presumably sorely needed extra cash. But if we can remember this far back anymore Nvidia already had a big market advantage even with all things were equal and thriving with both companies. For whatever reasons im sure everybody could argue about for eternity, Nvidia already has the fanbase. I fell like nobody at AMD could really think they'd win an apples to apples product in terms of market share just based on that history alone, not to mention the much worse situation they are in now.

So a $700 product that seemingly at best directly competes with a 2080 in price/performance seems like something is going wrong. Maybe the powers that be are so desperate for revenue they're just risking it for short term relief. Maybe the process is very expensive or something and there aren't any margins to be had. Maybe AMD's marketing division is retarded.

Im still glad there will be something there that is at least nominally competitive if all goes well (lol) but again given the situation I think $700 is a bad omen of some sort

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is the memory shortage still a thing or are these prices for video cards still meant to bleed crypto miners dry?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

These prices exist as they are because we've demonstrated that we're willing to pay too much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

These prices exist as they are because we've demonstrated that we're willing to pay too much.

Where’s the solipsism, though?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I think DLSS will be the tipping factor in the Radeon 7 vs 2080 assuming the prices stay close to each other and you don’t get 16gb of VRAM. Freesync won’t be as big of a deal once nvidia drops its new driver in a couple of weeks. 7nm plus 16gb of HBM2 has been expensive to make though, I thought maybe $600 or $650 when Su started talking about but welp. I guess we will see come February.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

VelociBacon posted:

These prices exist as they are because we've miners have demonstrated that we're miners are willing to pay too much.

FTFY

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, i feel like AMD is going to have to go to bat on pricing a little.

Assuming AMD's supplied numbers are right and the performance is basically the same vs the 2080, the comparison will be that the Radeon VII has twice the ram. Thats good! But the 2080 uses 85w less power so it will run cooler and quieter, supports Gsync and Freesync (theoretically), has RT/Tensor cores for RT Ray Tracing/DLSS for whatever that ends up being worth, will have more partner board variety, and is already purchasable at that price like... right now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The only thing this turd is good for is confirming exactly how crushingly good Nvidia's own die-shrink will be, especially because Nvidia isn't hobbling themselves with expensive HBM.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/3dmark-port-royal-ray-tracing-benchmark-now-available

3dmarks dxr benchmark is out if you rtx havers want some raytraced pixels to look at

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
AMD can barely pull market share from Nvidia when their GPUs have a clear performance/$ advantage, certainly not when they're at the same price. I'm inclined to believe the AdoredTV rumor that this product only exists because of issues with Navi. Putting 16GB of HBM2 on the card and therefor having to price it too high to be very competitive doesn't make much sense in any other context.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/3dmark-port-royal-ray-tracing-benchmark-now-available

3dmarks dxr benchmark is out if you rtx havers want some raytraced pixels to look at

Sick going to run this when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What is the RTX secret sauce besides the API and why couldn't AMD build something to compete with it?