Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What did you think of the interview? How did people at that office seem?

The office was actually cool as poo poo, I noticed a guy duel-screening 34" ultra-wide curved monitors - sitting on what looked like a La-Z-Boy recliner with speakers (no joke).

Everybody looked like they belonged in a 10-man indie studio, it's difficult to spot a dude without a tattoo or a beard - or both, and there was way more women than I expected.

I was only 25% trying to get the job - 75% certain I would turn it down, the interview was very relaxed over coffee - more of a meet and greet, I was asked to explain my skills and why I wanted the role, and they told me some baseline information about their projects and ambitions.

I basically just did it for the experience when I discovered that Cloud Imperium had a site less than 5 miles from where I live - I was also welcomed to re-apply after I told them I wouldn't be attending the second interview.

Laserpig fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

G0RF posted:

I hear you. I'm definitely going to revisit this and refine over time.

For me, trying visually model and language psychographics, and to do it efficiently, is trickier than typical information design. Especially just using observational references. I realized even once zeroing in on 9, and committing to the symmetry of Skeptics/Believers, Heretics/Evangelists, Haters/Zealots, Trolls/Shills, that it wasn't going to be entirely comprehensive nor completely precise.

Also clear about halfway through was were the harsh design constraints imposed by commiting myself Pac-man piechart approach. It was well-suited to emphasize the mirror-like parallels between these approximate types, but highly constrictive, too. But as with Chris and CryEngine I was like, "well I'm committed now I'll just use this Pac-man chart. At least it'll look good."

But there are exceptions, outliers, people fitting multiple categories, people not fitting at all. Guys like you just got clipped right out of the engine.

"I don't know what happened -- I swear this was working before!"

:gary: -- "PAAAAARP!"

Having a 1.0 version finished helps though. It covers many and some especially well. Having time to reflect on outliers and exceptions, on the insufficiencies of the overall representation, well help shape the refinement pass. It's not ever going to be perfect, it really can't be given the conceptual territory. But the better it gets as a shorthand reference the more useful it will be, especially as a basic primer for those confused about the controversy that seems to animate such divisive discussion these days.

Which reminds me. I noticed that /DS didn't archive Derek's tweet of the graphic, even though he called himself a Heretic, Hater, and Troll in the process, which is exactly what they believe of him. Very interesting.

So you're saying that alpha v1.0 was for testing and you're gonna layer on the fidelity for v2.0? :smuggo:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

OK, come watch me gently caress about in the snow and try not to get eaten within the first 10 mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/xaerael_endiel

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only orbiting star citizen will do is around the drain

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Are they literally 428 people now?

Holy moly.

That $3 million per month bare minimum estimate needs an update.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

I hear you. I'm definitely going to revisit this and refine over time.

Just to add to the validation sandwich: what I liked were the "subheadings" you also used, the bias focus and pie names. The idea could be extended to adding a passive/active overlay, eg that the extremes are more active than the centre but each pie piece has its own overlay of active/passive. I'm being very yin/yang/i ching about this, it already has the oracular feel to it :D

quote:

Which reminds me. I noticed that /DS didn't archive Derek's tweet of the graphic, even though he called himself a Heretic, Hater, and Troll in the process, which is exactly what they believe of him. Very interesting.

They're afraid of the implications of accepting it, and probably feel trolled by it, since it's not a direct reference to the One True Game but to them. If they accept it, they're accepting a form of branding and also that they are practically Prester Jane's Narrativists. They're a good candidate for that idea because they have very strong Narrative Dysphoria right now and have had a few compaction cycles already, and I'm thinking the next major tipping point will be the con, after which they really will get hysterical.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They were burning 22+ million on the UK foundry last year and they have like 200 people and those are probably more efficient than something LA. Easily upwards of 4.4m a month right now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Chris Roberts creates hologram technology at a CIG meeting:

:smuggo: Guys, after the cafeteria scene I want a briefing scene... with the mission giver as a hologram!

:gonk: (Development team nods, somebody dares to say "ok")

:smuggo: Hologram technology.

:gonk: Yes, we'll do some transparent model-

:smuggo: I said a hologram you stupid fuckers.

:gonk: Not a problem, we can make a shader-

:smuggo: That's not a loving hologram. I want a real hologram.

:gonk: Mass Effect had-

:smuggo: You dense motherfuckers. I am not going to cheat the digital hologram. We're going to make a real genuine system for a hologram.

:gonk: :gonk:!

:smuggo: Lets discuss how we're going to invent hologram technology for the game here. My briefing scene loving needs this before GamesCon for our cinematic experience, I just wrote the script for it yesterday, and we need it now. After you fucks understand what I want, I'm off to the Imaginarum to start motion capturing the briefing scene.

:gonk: Yes sir.

:smuggo: I will be pissed if this is not ready, and somebody will be fired, and I swear you will never work in this industry again. I have connections everywhere.

:gonk: Yes sir. We'll stop building out the trade and economy systems and work on the new cinematic technology immediately.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lazrin posted:

maybe the project has less of a chance of finishing because of his involvement... but he's the only one who started making a star citizen, so i gave him money.

i gave jc at dual universe money too.

it's not faith at all... someone's trying to do something i want to play, so i give them a financial hand. that's the beginning and end of it.

You did fine, friend. :)

This is how things work. People want a thing and they'll pay for it.

My opinion is that funding should have stopped to help the people making it realize if they want more money, they need to finish the thing. Getting more money is sort of the "trained dog" reward. Most people work because they want money; even if they love their job, I don't think think people would do it for free day in and day out.

SC has this "perpetual funding" mechanism that has basically invalidated the reward at the end of the tunnel.

It's a good project for a group to work on; very challenging! But because of the circumstances surrounding it, and all the moral dark sides happening, it's unlikely it will succeed.

I too hope it does because the concept of SC sounds cool; I'd try to play it. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

Star Citizen will fail because Crobberts was cruising the space sim highway and saw an offramp called fidelity street that led him to a forest with hundreds of roads. Instead of turning around, he points triumphantly ahead at each fork and yells THIS WAY PEOPLE! and mashes the gas petal. He's running on fumes, the snacks are gone, and the highway has long since vanished over multiple horizons.

Also his passengers have been seriously busting for a piss since they went past 'reality' but Crobblers can't hear their cries of "Oh my god, why won't he just stop!".

Their back teeth are floating, that's how bad this stuff is. :)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Hologram Stuff

You know, Croberto might actually be onto something here. Holograms are an answer to many of his problems. Can't get your animated commandos to sit at the lunch table without clipping through the table and each other? It's okay, they are holograms!

Commandos clipping through the floor of their chariots? Turns out it was a hologram chariot, placed by another devious player. An example of stealth emergent gameplay!

Port Olisar rings twisting themselves around at thousands of miles per hour before flying off into the (flat) sun? Not a bug at all, that just means that you as a very clever commando have figured out you are in the *Hologram* universe! Very emergent gameplay right there commando!

Worried about real life fiscal responsibilities? Don't worry commando, open your wallet, because those are just holograms!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You know, Croberto might actually be onto something here. Holograms are an answer to many of his problems.
Yeah. Like doors.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/relay_sc is live soon :yarg:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

So you're saying that alpha v1.0 was for testing and you're gonna layer on the fidelity for v2.0? :smuggo:

quote:

"So ahh what we're building towards, ahh -- so right now maybe if you're limited to say 9 psychographic profiles, right? But with the nested design approach of PacChart Engine 2.0, you could potentially have maybe 40, 50 sub-profiles nested within those 9, working out to, what's that like 450 psychographic profiles all working together inside the model. 50 variants of Troll, or ahh 50 variants of Shill, and all basically working together inside the model at once. To scale.

We're not quite there yet, still a little work to go to get there, but when we do get there, ha, well, I don't see how anybody will be able to compete. Maybe Tufte could do it? Ahh.

But yeah, so, heh, that's where we are..."

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Xaerael posted:

OK, come watch me gently caress about in the snow and try not to get eaten within the first 10 mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/xaerael_endiel

Sorry man, that game sucks. Not a good stream game.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
So their ships move at either 350mph or 0.2C right?

How the gently caress does that work in a 1:10 scale solar system that has orbiting planets? You'd have to quantum leap everywhere which basically turns travelling into clicking on a target and then twiddling your thumbs until you arrive many minutes later. If you take off and leave orbit does the planet shoot away in the blink of an eye leaving you to quantum leap back to it again if you decide you want to go back?

Is this how they do their seamless landings? You must quantum to 'orbit' which is really just loading the planet map? If you want to travel across a solar system from one side to another to reach a different planet will you end up in empty space as the planet is no longer where is was after 30 minutes of quantum jerking?

If the planet rotates, how fast can you travel in orbit? If it's just 350mph, good luck reaching anything without having to quantum up, around and back down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen feels as though a contractor was hired to build a small and perfectly reasonable addition to the existing kitchen in your house for X amount of money, then they asked some random guy walking past on the street if they could expand the project.
Now, they are trying to add a parking garage in the backyard (which is inaccessible from the street), three new bedrooms above the existing attic and renovating your entire bathroom, all the while they have cut a bunch of holes through your load bearing beams (compromising the structure of the existing house) and are now asking for more money so they can keep going and install a sink in your bedroom. They never got permits for anything, so there is no oversight, and your backyard now looks like a warzone, but they will "come back to fix this later".

ahhh, the perfect goon project.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Truga posted:

ahhh, the perfect goon project.

:grovertoot:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen is the death blow to the myth of the rock star developer. It shows how modern game design has truly moved on from the era of Chris Roberts and John Romero, and how modern development is about collaboration and coordination. Thanks to Chris whatever they poo poo out before calling it done and running away will be just as buggy and terrible as everything they've released.

As long as we keep our monkey brains we will continue to think like monkeys and the rock-star developer mindset will live on. Sure, companies and publishers will not fall for it -just like they didn't fall for SC- but regular people will, so as long as they can be monetized future Chris Romero is set.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We're now 2/3 the way through 2017 sc out yet

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Phi230 posted:

We're now 2/3 the way through 2017 sc out yet

It's coming! 2 more weeks...or two more weeks from THAT time...or another 2 weeks...

"Star Citizen: The Amazing Perpetual 2 Week Release Delay Machine"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

it's pretty amazing they're so incompetent they can't even get a character creator running or just simply add female character models

Imagine being the guys in charge of developing a female character. You work your rear end off, pour your soul into it, acreate a perfectly fine character and then whooops! CR saw it! Her hips don't animate the right way, they have to have some "bounce", her earlobes don't have the proper physics, and her breathing animation is all wrong. So you fix all those things and hen whooops! CR had been busy dreaming so now you also have to make animations for her vacuuming the floor, playing basketball, and doing ballet. So you get to it and... gently caress! CR saw it! Is that the Cecchetti method? You uncultured swine! He wanted Vaganova! start over! Also, why the gently caress do her hips bounce?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

XK posted:

Sorry man, that game sucks. Not a good stream game.

Sorry, being ill probably didn't help with making it interesting. In retrospect, it's quite a slow burn game, so you're probably right it being not great for streaming.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

As long as we keep our monkey brains we will continue to think like monkeys and the rock-star developer mindset will live on. Sure, companies and publishers will not fall for it -just like they didn't fall for SC- but regular people will, so as long as they can be monetized future Chris Romero is set.

Who is the modern day game developer rock star? I can't think of anyone who I would consider checking out a game based on their name alone.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Laserpig posted:

The office was actually cool as poo poo, I noticed a guy duel-screening 34" ultra-wide curved monitors - sitting on what looked like a La-Z-Boy recliner with speakers (no joke).

Everybody looked like they belonged in a 10-man indie studio, it's difficult to spot a dude without a tattoo or a beard - or both, and there was way more women than I expected.

I was only 25% trying to get the job - 75% certain I would turn it down, the interview was very relaxed over coffee - more of a meet and greet, I was asked to explain my skills and why I wanted the role, and they told me some baseline information about their projects and ambitions.

I basically just did it for the experience when I discovered that Cloud Imperium had a site less than 5 miles from where I live - I was also welcomed to re-apply after I told them I wouldn't be attending the second interview.

Sounds a lot like my interview (not at CIG). I moved from an older company to a newer startup and the cultural difference is shocking. I wonder what it's like to do IT in the CIG offices. I'm curious what their inventory management and (user) directory choices are.

One of the best aspects of joining a successful start-up is you get to implement the infrastructure from the ground-up. With experience you can prep things to make life so much easier for future IT team-mates.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164676343?t=32m33s

:gary: :gary: :gary: :gary:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

It's coming! 2 more weeks...or two more weeks from THAT time...or another 2 weeks...

"Star Citizen: The Amazing Perpetual 2 Week Release Delay Machine"

They even had to Archer that off Dr Smart.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who is the modern day game developer rock star? I can't think of anyone who I would consider checking out a game based on their name alone.

Yeah, it's a relic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The field is too wide and varied for there to be only one that outshines everybody else. So there are groups that idolize famous guys like Kojima and groups that like more obscure guys like Miyazaki, the dark souls dude (and anti-CR incarnate, as far as directing his staff goes). You would seriously not check a game made by Hideo Kojima?

But yeah, it's kind of a relic overall. (But those guys could scam millions out of people, if they so wished).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 5, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who is the modern day game developer rock star?

Is there really any question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V117Ycxb6a0

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

ironically, Rockstar imo

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 5, 2017

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think as games are now far too complex to be the responsibility of just one person the reputation thing has shifted from the individual to the company.

Rockstar. CD Projekt Red, Bethesda they all have their share of brand worship.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd still buy a game if John Carmack put his name to it, the rest of those lot - Moleniuex, Garriot, Roberts, Romero etc are like Kryptonite to me, if I see their names on something it will make me not buy it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Druckmann

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Taro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goichi_Suda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideo_Kojima

Asema fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 5, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Suda51 and Taro are more like indie band leaders.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
There's a few. So far CliffyB is the biggest name I don't see mentioned yet. And the weirdo Japanese guy who wears a big mask? Sid Meier's name continue to show up as a selling point in game titles so he might count.

There's a lot more designers the next tier down known but not marketed on the back of their name. Miyamoto e.g. is not seen as a rockstar. I'll personally look for games with Warren Spector or Harvey Smith on them. There's Will Wright, though he's faded lately.

In the indie world, there are more personalities. Christine Love, Phil Fish, Jonathan Blow.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Suda51 and Taro are more like indie band leaders.

I still love them equally

doingitwrong posted:

And the weirdo Japanese guy who wears a big mask?

This is Yoko Taro

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris Metzen, though he's retired now. He was straight up described as such by his co-workers.

There was also the part about him being, you know, a literal rock star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Forgot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Smart