Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

MrYenko posted:

...Meanwhile, at Bombardier...

Man, you don't even have to go that far. Other than the Concorde and the Concordski, there has never been an airliner faster than the Convair 990 in 1963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Man, you don't even have to go that far. Other than the Concorde and the Concordski, there has never been an airliner faster than the Convair 990 in 1963

I blame the Beatles.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Arson Daily posted:

The weather channel followed an old employer of mine around and literally nothing about that show was true. None of the airplane shots were real, none of the patient shots were real (a huge HIPAA violation, they shot footage of the medical crew shocking a dummy for b-roll) and there was so much drama I’m sure that was all a setup too.

Then again, HIPAA doesn't always stop them: https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2018/09/24/reality-show

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

...Meanwhile, at Bombardier...

When I flew the crj if we were cruising at less than .80 it was because ATC told us to. It's still the only plane I've hit 500+ knots true in.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

When I flew the crj if we were cruising at less than .80 it was because ATC told us to. It's still the only plane I've hit 500+ knots true in.

subtle not a -200 post

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, and even back then, the Convairs would routinely beat their arrival time and get stuck waiting for their gate slot to open. I wonder how long that 'supersonic' 747 flight had to wait on the tarmac at Heathrow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

subtle not a -200 post

Me: Skywest 5565 say mach number

SKW5565: Uh, mach 62, what do you need?

Me: :negative:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I remember about 4-5 years ago when Skywest essentially stalled a CRJ-200 (the airline insisted it was a "less than optimal airspeed", not a stall) and lost 14,000ft in the recovery, which resulted in the FAA restricting the Skywest -200's to a maximim FL280, and imposing a minimum cruise speed on that airplane as well until the airline got their poo poo together.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I remember that event, have they officially got their poo poo together yet?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

vessbot posted:

I remember that event, have they officially got their poo poo together yet?

There's a colossal amount of low speed avoidance training now

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Edit: wrong thread

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 3, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo.

https://youtu.be/ZP-9mWqFh3c

That taxiway looks like a bikepath, let alone a driveway or taxiway. The plane rolls out of the hangar because the surface is inclined.

Don't want your brakes to fail going back down the taxiway because it is a 90 degree turn on a slope.

Oh yeah, it is a mountain valley with trees beside the runway. Good luck.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

drunkill posted:

Holy poo poo.

That taxiway looks like a bikepath, let alone a driveway or taxiway. The plane rolls out of the hangar because the surface is inclined.

Don't want your brakes to fail going back down the taxiway because it is a 90 degree turn on a slope.

I've played golf courses with better taxiways.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Airport in Nashville got hit by the tornado:

https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/1234885861810020356

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

two_beer_bishes posted:

There's a colossal amount of low speed avoidance training now

I'm sure there is. I meant to ask specifically if the altitude restriction is lifted.

Not dog piling on Skywest, I'm at the airline that's the descendant of the one with a somewhat famous Pepsi-involved crash. And we have since had at least one event that's an exact duplicate. Our colossal amount of avoidance is just an ironclad emphasis on monitoring.

Good, but not enough it itself. I'd also like to see it paired with a deeper teaching of the drag curve and it's relationship to AOA, but no such luck.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

drunkill posted:

Holy poo poo.

Why would you do this to yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43OXzp40Y_A

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve got a bit over 600 hours in a PC12 and would 100% fly into there, that’s rad as hell.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’ve got a bit over 0.1 hours in a PC12 and would 100% fly into there, that’s rad as hell.

(I sat in the cockpit and loaded a flight plan once, it was cool as gently caress)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There's gotta be a cheaper way to mow the grass but probably none as enjoyable

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This is how to start a PC12 if anyone wants to steal one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOP771TH5yM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

gently caress that, I still have to pay for fuel and maintenance if I want to go on more than one flight. Much better to have a rich guy own it, and pay me to fly it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i have like 40 hours in the PC12 (in MSFS2020) and will fly there (in MSFS2020) as soon as i find out the ICAO code

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inacio posted:

i have like 40 hours in the PC12 (in MSFS2020) and will fly there (in MSFS2020) as soon as i find out the ICAO code

Locher isnt in the game with an airport tag, but if you go find it on google maps(it’s in the Italian alps,) you can fly up the valley land there. The autogen is good enough to find the field and the hangar, and the cliff side taxiway.

Also, the turboprop is a TBM which... Lacks the PC-12’s short field cred.

I went to Locher in the Carbon Cub and it was still pretty sporty...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Also, the turboprop is a TBM which... Lacks the PC-12’s short field cred.
ha, i could swear it was a PC-12!

in my defense they do look pretty similar:

(at a glance :()

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

e.pilot posted:

My daily commute goes right past an FBO which is a Pilatus dealer, and they sometimes have 2-3 PC-12s sitting out on the ramp.

:getin:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Never seen (or heard of) Locher Field before, but I decided to make good use of an afternoon off work to download the scenery for it to FSX and take the An-2 (with a ton of pesticides and half a ton of fuel on board!) for a spin:

You taxi up the runway in a perfect three-point landing attitude, at medium cruise power with the cowl flaps all the way open.

1000hp, 15-deg of flap and gravity assistance; the An-2 basically does a vertical takeoff!

Turn around and try the landing:

Over the first set of power cables...

Over the second, then basically into a parachute-like free fall to hit the grass.

Touchdown!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1235324067709935617?s=20

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

RIP

marumaru
May 20, 2013

landed at Locher in 2020. it's alright - the buildings are there but they're very much autogen. the strip is just grass. the most fun part of the approach, the powerlines, aren't modeled :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I hope they release that world-editing tool that they showed in the Airports video so that people can make their own edits to the scenery. I extra hope that they also accept user submissions into some kind of approval queue so that the database can be constantly updated. Crowdsourcing seems like the only realistic way to ensure accuracy with a world of this scale and you know that flight sim grognards would be perfectly happy to do it.

Also cmon Asobo ffs let me into the alpha. Neither I nor any of my pilot friends with good computers who applied got in and I'm thinking it's because they are looking for comments about how the software runs instead of "magnetic compass behavior in turns is over-damped" and "low level wind shear on short final at my home airport is not correctly modeled" and like I get it but also aaaaaargh come on already

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did they ever state whether they’d be doing VR integration? There are a surprising lack of good flying games out that don’t run like rear end.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Warbird posted:

Did they ever state whether they’d be doing VR integration? There are a surprising lack of good flying games out that don’t run like rear end.

not at launch, but it's been the most requested feature quite consistently and i *think* they said they'll "investigate" it or something

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
taken from PYF GIFs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

taken from PYF GIFs

Goes very well with this, which I was just listening to due to a post in the EV thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4MEhUkxco

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

taken from PYF GIFs

Must have looked pretty trippy from the ground

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Why yes, I did perform 60 touch and goes in one hour

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm on an E175 for the first time and this is a nice little airplane. I think I'm more comfortable on this than I am on the A320/319 I sometimes have for this flight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

I'm on an E175 for the first time and this is a nice little airplane. I think I'm more comfortable on this than I am on the A320/319 I sometimes have for this flight.

Yeah, just flew on an E175 for the first time today myself. They just *jump* into the air, plus I had the advantage of sitting in 2A in a 1-2 config in the front. Not a very comfy seat, but hey, that's American Eagle for you.

Alaska's actually have ovens so you can have hot food options.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
E175 is, whenever I can influence it, the first leg I take to get to a major hub. Availability is way up at my local airport lately, so it's been really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, just flew on an E175 for the first time today myself. They just *jump* into the air, plus I had the advantage of sitting in 2A in a 1-2 config in the front. Not a very comfy seat, but hey, that's American Eagle for you.

The 1-2 configuration is great. Sitting in Column A, you get the benefits of both the window and aisle seat, plus nobody to steal your armrests!