Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mustached Demon posted:

But you're good if you're a blue bro? Guess I'll do that when not in the CoC instead of no bro.

Blue Acolyte is a separate program that makes a backup of your character each time you're invaded in case a hacker fucks up your save file. It has a global banlist and immediately kicks any confirmed hacker from your games before they can do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are super easy compared to From's later stuff, for the most part. There are some exceptions like O&S, but I think that both the playerbase didn't know how to play these games yet and From didn't know as much as they do now about making them, so for the most part they don't push the level of execution required from the player to nearly the level of something like DS3 or Elden Ring.

Elden Ring playtimes are also kind of hard to nail down. If you know the game world you can do a non-speedrun playthrough in like 20-30 hours no problem, but if you're new to the game and want to "mostly explore" the whole landmass 100+ hours seems likely.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I would start with DS3. It’s the most polished and daresay most balanced. Stuff that doesn’t bring much (equipnent degradation, armor upgrades) has been removed for a smoother experience.

What’s missing is the interconnected world, and some of the weird stuff DS2 did.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
There is a definite acceleration in the combat pacing that occurs between Dark Souls 2 and 3, largely driven by lessons they learned from Bloodborne’s faster take on the formula. Going back to play Dark Souls 1 and 2 after beating Dark Souks 3 was almost a refreshing walk in the park with how downright ponderous the bosses feel compared to the Pontiff, or even Vordt.

Going back to play DS2 after playing Elden Ring absolutely fucks me up because my muscle memory can’t differentiate between the slight difference in the controller layout to accommodate a jump button!

The biggest thing DS2 is missing right now is that quirk that makes it so if you hold down on the d-pad, it will auto cycle to the first slot, which is where the estus is usually bound. They do this in DS3 and the DS1 rerelease and it does grate at me because it is VERY handy.

Not as handy as Elden rings item binds but still.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Here, I enjoy the slower DS1/DS2 combat a lot more than the flailing and roll spam from later titles. I'm a bit tired with manic multiphase bosses.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

FishMcCool posted:

Here, I enjoy the slower DS1/DS2 combat a lot more than the flailing and roll spam from later titles. I'm a bit tired with manic multiphase bosses.

Dragon’s Dogma 2 combat being very weighty and slow reminds me of that. I avoided Dark Souls at first because of the reputation for difficulty until I read it described as slow-paced, which encouraged me to give it a try. Now I love the later titles too, but I do long for a return to the original style of combat.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my kid would say "It's a difficult game in that it requires patience, strategy and some reflexes." which, honestly? that's too much to ask out of me

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

DS2 is by far the easiest of the Souls to start out on IMO. Sure there's that ADP tax but the combat is slower paced, a lot of the bosses boil down to "dodge left", and the extra healing items you can buy make this game the best pick for new players.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Release order is just fine. DS1 is pretty generous in many ways (endurance affecting stamina and equip load, good shields, busted armour...) and it's neat to catch on the references to previous games as you go.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I found the fume knight.

I got womper stompered by the fume knight.

He's very similar to artorias but with more swords. I think shield poke might work better than trying to dodge.

Do shields gain a whole lot upgraded and does titanite chunk become buyable? I think I got the finale left in the main game. Haven't really had the need to use a shield.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I found the fume knight.

He's very similar to artorias but with more swords. I think shield poke might work better than trying to dodge.

Do shields gain a whole lot upgraded and does titanite chunk become buyable? I think I got the finale left in the main game. Haven't really had the need to use a shield.

Shields get a bit better but it probably won't make a huge difference. You can buy unlimited stones from I want to say the ghost chancellor guy (or maybe Cloanne?) after beating the final boss, you don't need to end the game right away.

If you got to the fume knight without shields you don't need a shield to beat him, I never found them to be great against him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mustached Demon posted:

I found the fume knight.

If you find the second bit of the fight a bit easier than the first then wearing Velstadt's helmet to the fight pisses him right off and he jumps straight to dark fire.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Welp went and unlocked the infinite titanite chunk shop.

The pair was the harder of the bosses. They seemed to gang up on you and combo your face in. Once I got one down that was that. Not-Nito wasn't hard once I got past caring about being cursed. Consumed almost all my gems but worth it.

Third boss was an exercise in human greed or classic Metroid boss: wait for your weak spot and don't get greedy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Fume Knight is one of the best bosses in the entire series. Hard, but not unfair.

For me, a fastroll build with the Blossom kite shield on my back and a fast 2H weapon, was the way to beat him.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fume Knight is such a good boss, took me a while but was my favourite fight. It forced me to optimise my build a bit, switching from powerstanced katanas to two handing one.

This post got me over the line, some great advice although no need to do the phase 1 skip imo (linked in case you want to work it out yourself): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=1327&perpage=40&userid=0#post454342050

distortion park fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 13, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I like the aesthetic of the Iron Passage. :shobon:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Craftman's Hammer does a job on Fume. Well, it does a job on anything, really, it's stupidly good, but for Fume, you get the strike damage vs armour and it's fast enough to be able to sneak a hit in on most of his attacks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

goblin week posted:

I like the aesthetic of the Iron Passage. :shobon:
I like how it looks and I do think the general idea is a good one. Of the three awful co-op zones, it's the one that does the most with the conceit that you'd be doing this in a group: Shulva's just has the boss be three dudes ("so bring your own dudes!"), and Eleum Loyce's is "wow this is a lot of ground to cover and lots of really tough enemies, often in multiples, huh? Friends would be great here. Also the boss is two bosses too lmao". Iron Passage wants you to split the party, with one group going top and taking out the dudes there that would harass the group on the bottom. That's so cool. However, the big issue is that staying on top is borderline impossible. The timing is just way too tight, and you have one shot for two of those stupid fireball corridors in a row. I think I've done it a grand total of once over many, many tries, and that involved depopulating the first corridor completely. I have no idea how you're meant to squeeze past like 4 dudes while rolling fireballs perfectly, and a single mistake dooms your attempt.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Welp went and unlocked the infinite titanite chunk shop.

The pair was the harder of the bosses. They seemed to gang up on you and combo your face in. Once I got one down that was that. Not-Nito wasn't hard once I got past caring about being cursed. Consumed almost all my gems but worth it.

Third boss was an exercise in human greed or classic Metroid boss: wait for your weak spot and don't get greedy.

So third boss (Aldia) only appears if you have already killed the king when Nashandra dies. So that's the bit you'd have missed by not killing him. It's not a particularly thrilling fight, but it's cool and thematic.

I presume that you ended up beating Blue Smelter too? If so, make sure you craft the big sword from his soul, then try powerstancing the red and blue smelter swords. The special heavy attack is :discourse:.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

So third boss (Aldia) only appears if you have already killed the king when Nashandra dies. So that's the bit you'd have missed by not killing him. It's not a particularly thrilling fight, but it's cool and thematic.

I presume that you ended up beating Blue Smelter too? If so, make sure you craft the big sword from his soul, then try powerstancing the red and blue smelter swords. The special heavy attack is :discourse:.

No I haven't done blue demon yet but they're next.

I think the claymore and craftsman hammer were my two most used weapons. The 2H lungs on the claymore is so good. Then the hammer, when you get it, screams use me vs armored stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUlpoq57Ss

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

No I haven't done blue demon yet but they're next.

I think the claymore and craftsman hammer were my two most used weapons. The 2H lungs on the claymore is so good. Then the hammer, when you get it, screams use me vs armored stuff.

used to love me some hammering, especially dual-wielding the black dragon warpick. very satisfying crunch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

distortion park posted:

Fume Knight is such a good boss, took me a while but was my favourite fight. It forced me to optimise my build a bit, switching from powerstanced katanas to two handing one.

This post got me over the line, some great advice although no need to do the phase 1 skip imo (linked in case you want to work it out yourself): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=1327&perpage=40&userid=0#post454342050

I get strong Artorias vibes from it. That one really pushed the DS1 idea of the punish window. Then surviving long enough to see enough of the window to win.

Most of DS2 has been "find the safe spot, camp there, and swing." Vendrick being the most guilty version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Venny is more a spectacle that even this big poo poo king can be laid low by the curse so what hope does a nobody like you have? He’s so hosed up and degraded that you’ll only die if you accidentally stand in his telegraphed flailing. Having the giant souls is the real fight.