Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
An outage notification telling me I can’t start my car remotely for the maintenance window, I hate technology.

I don’t plan to go back in the office except for maybe one day a week when this is all over. I seriously doubt we’ll have a general return to office this year.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Getting scheduled for a video conference next week. It would be permanent remote, 50% raise, way more interesting work, growth potential because they've expanded the team by like half this year and are trying to move as much stuff as possible to containers or serverless using IaC. I was honest with the manager up front that I don't really have IaC experience but would be fine getting certified as a contingency of employment. He said that they're still working on getting a training/certification budget so he doesn't care about certs, just learn how to do it.

Just need to get my haircut evened up and take out a nice shirt since I've been moving and stuff is boxed up. Any pants will do in case I stand up, it's Colorado.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

devmd01 posted:

An outage notification telling me I can’t start my car remotely for the maintenance window, I hate technology.

Send that to https://twitter.com/internetofshit

GreenNight posted:

Our company told us to expect everyone to be back in the office at some point, just not sure when. SO DONT GET USED TO WFH pretty much.

The phrase I heard was, "If you were hired and paid to be in the office, you will eventually be required to be in the office full time."

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the lovely 250 person MSP/consultancy i worked for had been dying over the last 3 years and had bled down to ~110 people before getting acquired in May by a big accounting firm (not big 4, but ~5000 people). given the pandemic timing i felt i didn't really have a choice but to accept the buyout (same salary and vacation at least). it's been funny seeing my background noise work email go from old fashioned helpless incompetence to malicious HR-polished enterprise incompetence.

we all use BYOD phones and get $60/mo for our personal cell phone plans. HR just sent a form to everyone titled "Terms and Conditions for using Personal Mobile Computing Devices for Business Purposes". check out one of the terms:

quote:

I agree to submit my mobile computing device to be audited, at the firm’s discretion, for compliance with the Mobile Communications Policy.

lol. i deleted the Outlook app and will no longer submit expense claims for the $60/mo. enjoy only being able to reach me while i'm at my computer!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's no way I'm ever going back in the office. Fuckers can't pay me enough to put on pants.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

uniball posted:

the lovely 250 person MSP/consultancy i worked for had been dying over the last 3 years and had bled down to ~110 people before getting acquired in May by a big accounting firm (not big 4, but ~5000 people). given the pandemic timing i felt i didn't really have a choice but to accept the buyout (same salary and vacation at least). it's been funny seeing my background noise work email go from old fashioned helpless incompetence to malicious HR-polished enterprise incompetence.

we all use BYOD phones and get $60/mo for our personal cell phone plans. HR just sent a form to everyone titled "Terms and Conditions for using Personal Mobile Computing Devices for Business Purposes". check out one of the terms:

lol. i deleted the Outlook app and will no longer submit expense claims for the $60/mo. enjoy only being able to reach me while i'm at my computer!

Just get a $20 tracfone or whatever from Target and pocket the cash?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m just glad to still have a job. I’ll go back to the office if they demand it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Antioch posted:

The poorly planned and implemented HyperV servers I inherited when starting this job have an uptime approaching 1500 days.

In 2005 we had an NT server with many years uptime (4? 6?) because it was used as an unauthenticated SMB share used in a Siebel CRM for config file access or something. Apparently there was an attempt to update it up Windows 2000 but there was an issue with SMB on Server 2000 being less performant so on NT 4 it remained.

We had dozens of boxes set up in this production Siebel environment for scaling and HA, but at the core was this stupid, unencrypted and unauthenticated SMB share on an NT 1U Compaq DL360 G1. It was so bad that even when we did our monthly patching, we were told by the VP of IT not to touch this box because no one knew if it would come back up or not.

So there it was, getting older and older, and more and more vulnerable to unpatched exploits ("but who cares because the SMB share is everyone/full!"). I was at that job for four years, and joined two years into the company's existence and it was never once rebooted during my tenure.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sheep posted:

Just get a $20 tracfone or whatever from Target and pocket the cash?

I'm too cheap for that.
Re-use an old cell phone lying around in my drawer on wi-fi only and pocket all $60.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://www.troyhunt.com/building-the-ultimate-home-office-again/

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
that guy must be making fat stacks

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Docjowles posted:

I didn’t save a screenshot because I’m a dummy but last year I got to decomm a bunch of switches that had been up continuously for like 7 years. It was the out of band management network at our lovely colo and only accessible over VPN but not exactly ideal lol.

The hardware was loving ancient Brocade garbage that I think was end of life when my old boss originally bought and deployed it second hand from god knows where. Don’t have to reboot equipment for security patching if the vendor doesn’t still publish updates! Checkmate, infosec dweebs :smug:

It felt real good to throw those all in the metaphorical dumpster.

I used to work for an MSP which was pretty chill but we had one big customer that kept borging smaller companies and the IT guy there tried to reuse as much of the old poo poo he came across.
So one day I get a brand new switch on my desk he wants us to set up for a place. I don't remember the exact model of the switch, just digging through a bunch of old console cables and then discovering the thing was a 100/100 switch and also it would no longer hold a configuration for some reason.
I didn't troubleshoot it further because why bother at that point. It woulda been cheaper for them to just buy a new switch than have me loving around with it further.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

organburner posted:

It woulda been cheaper for them to just buy a new switch than have me loving around with it further.

That was the hardest thing for me to learn, was that some of the time it's better for me the company, if I didn't DIY my solutions and just bought new equipment or hired an integrator.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a skill to learn for sure. Once we were doing an office move and I showed the numbers on buying new racks for the new location working out cheaper than moving what was there already, once you factored in the amount of out-of-hours work that would be required to achieve the same lack of disruption to people's working day. Before that it was just assumed that it would be cheaper to not buy new kit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a skill to learn for sure. Once we were doing an office move and I showed the numbers on buying new racks for the new location working out cheaper than moving what was there already, once you factored in the amount of out-of-hours work that would be required to achieve the same lack of disruption to people's working day. Before that it was just assumed that it would be cheaper to not buy new kit.

I worked at a place that made enclosures, and we made a couple rack enclosures. They sucked though and they didn’t have good doors and you needed adapters for the rails and they were way more expensive than just buying some racks from whoever. One thing I hated was they had these crappy vents that lifted them like a foot off the ground.

But we used the ones we made!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It really is amazing how much responsibility a manager can accumulate without having any idea about things like "total cost of ownership", "return on investment", or "opportunity cost". I've watched senior engineers spend way too much of their time babysitting garbage hardware because management refuses to buy anything new or under a support contract. You know the laundry list of complaints and wishes the business has for our service? Maybe if we weren't spending 50% of our time swapping dead hard drives in the data center we could make a little headway on that? But sure, $0 year after year on the Ops capex budget looks good to the execs, I guess.

My current employer has been galaxy braining itself into using the Community Edition of various open source tools and then having employees reimplement features from the paid tiers. Except badly and without vendor or community support, and at the expense of other more useful things they could be doing. Or gaining access to the 50 other features we'd get if we just bought the drat thing. Pushing back on this "if someone we're already paying does it, it's free" insanity is my current crusade.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Docjowles posted:

I've watched senior engineers spend way too much of their time babysitting garbage hardware because management refuses to buy anything new or under a support contract. You know the laundry list of complaints and wishes the business has for our service? Maybe if we weren't spending 50% of our time swapping dead hard drives in the data center we could make a little headway on that? But sure, $0 year after year on the Ops capex budget looks good to the execs, I guess.

Better not say this too loudly, Zero VGS will be in here in no time to reveal how he bought 50 VM hosts off EBay for pennies on the dollar and then installed Xen on them so he didn't have to pay VMware, something only IDIOTS do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lmao. I’m thankful I’m in the opposite situation, we don’t give a poo poo about capital expense and are all about that ebitda. The more we can capitalize/depreciate the better, to include specific categories of labor on the timesheets. Of course the private equity firm that has a controlling interest will eventually sell/go public, but right now it works in our favor.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I missed this last week, but loving finally - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/new-meeting-and-calling-experience-in-microsoft-teams/ba-p/1537581

Being able to pop out the meetings and calls, instead of just being able to pop out chats, is fantastic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's still amazing to me that nobody at Microsoft with the required authority has sat the Teams people down with the Windows Store people and figured out what needs to be done to distribute and update their flagship collaboration client via their flagship application distribution service.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just assumed that most people at Microsoft pretend the windows store doesn’t exist.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It's still amazing to me that nobody at Microsoft with the required authority has sat the Teams people down with the Windows Store people and figured out what needs to be done to distribute and update their flagship collaboration client via their flagship application distribution service.

Also there is no way to globally manage settings via GPO, you need to set up scripts to tinker with each user profile electron app setting file. Making it set up as "run automatically" is pretty much random, even with sccm attempting every time to force the correct string value.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the management of rolling out the "new meeting experience" is non-existent. Just so sick of Microsoft's bullshit at this point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I read a bunch of stuff and still don't understand. How do i get the new experience?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sickening posted:

So I read a bunch of stuff and still don't understand. How do i get the new experience?

You need to have 3-5 years of new experience already.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

Once you've updated teams:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, I have a phone interview later this week for a sidegrade position I suppose. I'm at an MSP Helldesk right now, and the new position would be with a company that performs imaging for large numbers of computers before sending them to clients. I'd get exposure with Microsoft MDT and SCCM. The pay would be a sidegrade. I'm unsure if this is a position that would be worth taking to get some more experience. What do you guys think with more experience in the field?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rafikki posted:

Once you've updated teams:

It's not this simple. There's a minimum Teams version but there's stuff you don't have control over, like tenant backend version, A/B testing, etc. We are seeing people with then same Teams versions and the same tenant who have one user who has it and one who doesn't. It's a cluster.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I am certain the Windows Update team would then add it into their extensive alpha/beta testing program to ensure utmost update quality and compatibility. break it terribly with every update to the point were the only way to fix it is touch every machine with an obtuse PowerShell command.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zotix posted:

Question, I have a phone interview later this week for a sidegrade position I suppose. I'm at an MSP Helldesk right now, and the new position would be with a company that performs imaging for large numbers of computers before sending them to clients. I'd get exposure with Microsoft MDT and SCCM. The pay would be a sidegrade. I'm unsure if this is a position that would be worth taking to get some more experience. What do you guys think with more experience in the field?

MDT is I suppose a specific skillset but honestly one you could replicate on your own lab at home following this guys guides:
http://deploymentresearch.com/
Its like SCCM light, just for OS imaging.

SCCM is definitely a bankable specific skill that is a niche career in and of itself. If you're interested in SCCM, deployments, app packaging, Intune, patching, etc it can be a full time job and lucrative career. I did it myself for a time and it helped me get a few jobs. In the long run though I wasnt as interested in it as I was in other areas of IT.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
SCCM is not a great way to start off your IT career because it’s quite complex and you really need to have a good understanding of data flow and networking/database fundamentals.

My first IT job I was made the SCCM admin 4 months into touching AD for the first time. I learned a hell of a lot, but it was definitely, shall we say, a bumpier road for the company than it needed to be.

In other news, dropped out of that SRE interview bc I had a panic attack and imposter syndrome like hella all last week. The pressure to do the coding tests really put me in a bad place, so I shelved it for now.

Then today our retiring principal architect calls me up, says a bunch of nice things about me, and let’s me know he’s dropped my name to our engineering director,, and I should talk to him about moving to an architect role once he’s back from vacay.

I know normally it’s best to switch companies but I get like 5 weeks vacation here and 0 sexual harassment which is very nice to say the least!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 27, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah definitely not for the faint of heart. I'll just leave this old chestnut here:
https://it.slashdot.org/story/14/05/17/051214/emory-university-sccm-server-accidentally-reformats-all-computers-campus-wide

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zotix posted:

Sounds like a 5 years of 1 year experience kind of thing

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like a 5 years of 1 year experience kind of thing

Entirely depends if you’re the one writing task sequences or if you’re just running them.

The latter is basically worthless, the former less so (but I’d still hope you’re doing app deployments and reporting too... otherwise you’re not actually learning all that much).

At the end of the day it’s an MDM solution like any other. It’s just older, more complicated, and accordingly not particularly user friendly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I definitely would not recommend SCCM to anyone looking to learn a new skill. It's complex and the ins-and-outs that make or break it are not useful on their own.

The Iron Rose posted:

Then today our retiring principal architect calls me up, says a bunch of nice things about me, and let’s me know he’s dropped my name to our engineering director,, and I should talk to him about moving to an architect role once he’s back from vacay.

I know normally it’s best to switch companies but I get like 5 weeks vacation here and 0 sexual harassment which is very nice to say the least!

Hey, nothing wrong with staying put, especially if you are climbing up. And given the poo poo you've put up with in the past, that last part is especially nice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'd say take the promotion, then if you're unhappy there eventually you have the better job title on your resume for another move. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be better to change jobs, better pay when they don't know what you're already making?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Every time I've job hopped it has been for at least +50%, but, I did start at Methanar tier wages and job duties. Instead of landscaping I was cleaning out the AC units on the roof and repairing bathroom fixtures.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bull3964 posted:

Not that it matters to me since I'm remote regardless, but just got word that corporate will not be reopening the office in 2020.

Yeah, we're not opening until the infection numbers go down for more than a couple weeks, which mean practically never since Texas keeps reopening things just in time to cause the next wave.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our re-opening date has been pushed back a couple times now, currently set at October. The execs seem to be perfectly willing to push it back whenever needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

12 rats tied together posted:

Every time I've job hopped it has been for at least +50%, but, I did start at Methanar tier wages and job duties. Instead of landscaping I was cleaning out the AC units on the roof and repairing bathroom fixtures.

:hai: