Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

The OP has a bias against wireless keyboards.

I picked up a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 a couple weeks ago. It's got shallow laptop-style keys and it's a lot quieter than my old board. My only beef is the lack of LEDs for NumLock and so on, and that the function keys double as MS Office shortcuts and are labeled as such. It's worth it for having a Calculator shortcut next to the numpad, though.

Also, the keyboard keeps turning off, but I think that's a defect= specific to the one I bought; I'll swap it out tomorrow and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Stuart McSlim posted:

Mine's out for delivery! I've never used a fancy Filco or Das Keyboard to compare it to, but I'll try to post a trip report tonight. :shroom:
So far, so good on the ABS M-1 keyboard! I don't have anything to compare it too, but it's built like a tank.

McClanahan
May 29, 2009

Looks like a BTC 53-series keyboard.

Some more pics here:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6072

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Man, I can't find an ABS M1 anywhere. :(

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 22, 2010

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

strayan posted:

Oh, that's really cool to know.

Do you know if the Logitech MX 5500 Revolution does?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/3481

Thanks
Sorry for the delayed response - haven't been paying attention to this thread. :(

Only the devices I listed are GamePanel-enabled and have a public SDK for writing data out to them. Everything else we make only works with the software that comes with it.

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse

McClanahan posted:

Looks like a BTC 53-series keyboard.

Some more pics here:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6072

After reading over that, I'd say you are definitely correct. While not a 100% match with the exact model in the pictures since I have springs instead of buckling domes, everything else matches. I've finally got an answer for who made this keyboard. On a slightly different note, anyone know how to undo the yellowing on the keys? Or if that's possible? And finally, anyone know of a way I could set the macro key to act as a windows key?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

admiraldennis posted:

Man, I can't find a ABS M1 anywhere. :(

After that newegg sale, good luck finding one. :ohdear:

EtOH
Nov 25, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Fox_Spy posted:

After reading over that, I'd say you are definitely correct. While not a 100% match with the exact model in the pictures since I have springs instead of buckling domes, everything else matches. I've finally got an answer for who made this keyboard. On a slightly different note, anyone know how to undo the yellowing on the keys? Or if that's possible? And finally, anyone know of a way I could set the macro key to act as a windows key?

If I recall correctly, I think you can soak them in OxyClean for a time? I know the Lego-loving man-children do something like this to undo the yellowing of their bricks.

Edit: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

EtOH fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 21, 2010

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EtOH posted:

If I recall correctly, I think you can soak them in OxyClean for a time? I know the Lego-loving man-children do something like this to undo the yellowing of their bricks.

Edit: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

That's cool, but someone needs to invent something that prevents shiny-keyboard syndrome.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Since it's caused by the abrading of the keycap's surface by the user's skin (fingerprint ridges, salts, oils, etc) to the point where it removes the texture and, effectively, polishes the plastic, there's no practical solution short of covering the keyboard with a replaceable material or developing the keyboard from a material that is immune to these things.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goo posted:

Since it's caused by the abrading of the keycap's surface by the user's skin (fingerprint ridges, salts, oils, etc) to the point where it removes the texture and, effectively, polishes the plastic, there's no practical solution short of covering the keyboard with a replaceable material or developing the keyboard from a material that is immune to these things.

Which, by today's standards shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

Hell, even the the new Apple keyboard have higher-quality plastic.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Tab8715 posted:

Which, by today's standards shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

Hell, even the the new Apple keyboard have higher-quality plastic.
No plastic is immune to this, it's an inherent property of their chemical structure.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Tab8715 posted:

After that newegg sale, good luck finding one. :ohdear:

:(

I've been reduced to using a $2.99 keyboard with a big-enter, \-on-top, small delete layout, kill me now

Does anything compare to an ABS M1 price-and-quality wise? I'd really rather not spend >$40 on a keyboard as I tend to destroy them

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Goo posted:

Sorry for the delayed response - haven't been paying attention to this thread. :(

Only the devices I listed are GamePanel-enabled and have a public SDK for writing data out to them. Everything else we make only works with the software that comes with it.

Okay thanks. Much appreciated.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Kessel posted:

If anyone has a Steelseries 7G, could you tell me the dimensions without the huge, honking wristrest? All the information I've found counts the rest and I definitely don't have the space for that thing.

apols for the delay...pics below..

480 x 245 mm

35 mm high at the rear

20mm at the front

135mm w/o surround

450 w/o surround

I think I've had mine for over two months, and I'm really really happy with it.
I reminds me happily of the heavy-as-gently caress keyboards I grew up on in the 90's.
There's nothing delicate about this at all.

For my part, you will love the wrist-rest. Yes, it definitely is a little big, but, it's oh-so-comfortable. The reason I think you will want the oversized surround is the height of leading edge.

I've worn a smooth spot on mine in no time at all, and the key-caps are looking a little smooth on the busy keys.
I get 12 hours per-day most days of the week at the keyboard so I expect this.

If I were you, I'd think about the teeny-tiny backspace, the oversized enter, and the lack of a left-hand-winkey.
I practically live on winkey+e, winkey+r, and I struggled without the left winkey for a while; that said, remapping capslock is a happy fix.

I actually get decent use out of the volume up+down from their steelseries key, but it took a week for me to stop reaching for it mistakenly.

The small backspace I got used to in no-time at all.

The oversized enter key is a non issue for me. I think it's silly big, but, when you absolutely need to hit enter, you wont miss with this fella. It's the elephant gun approach to enter keys i guess.

If I had to summarise, it feels solidly planted on the desk, and I like that.

apols for waxing evangelical.

e: I know I live in poo poo at the moment.
I'm still settling and tidying having moved recently.

url fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 22, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How's the Das Keyboard for gaming?

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

IntoTheNihil posted:

How's the Das Keyboard for gaming?

Fine, it'll just probably fail after a year or two. I went through two before I gave up on them.

You are buying the design, not quality with a Das.

For the money, get a Filco or something else with Cherrys.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

A Duck! posted:

For the money, get a Filco or something else with Cherrys.

Yeah. I bought a Filco with Cherry Browns and it's the best gaming keyboard I've ever used. However, I'm using one with the O-Ring mod I posted a few pages back. With the mod, it's a brilliant gaming keyboard. Without it, well... let's just say there's good reason I went through the trouble of jamming tiny rubber rings onto every one of those god drat keys.

But seriously with the O-rings there's nothing better.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah. I bought a Filco with Cherry Browns and it's the best gaming keyboard I've ever used. However, I'm using one with the O-Ring mod I posted a few pages back. With the mod, it's a brilliant gaming keyboard. Without it, well... let's just say there's good reason I went through the trouble of jamming tiny rubber rings onto every one of those god drat keys.

But seriously with the O-rings there's nothing better.

How much did all those rubber O-rings run you?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got a pair of ABS keyboards in with the sale. I hated my work keyboard after using a deck 82 key at home for the last 2 years. Gave one to my parents and been using the other at work. Its not quite 100% of the deck but I'd say its 90% of it, totally worth the $20 and recommend it at $30-40 as a starter keyboard to anyone.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

url posted:

steelseries 7g

Wow, that thing is huge. Thanks for the dimensions! I was seriously considering it until I found out that the left-side Steelseries key doesn't map as a Windows key.

Deal-breaker. I use my keyboard on the Mac side of things as well, and not having a left-side Apple key would be a supreme pain in the arse. :(

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Christobevii3 posted:

Got a pair of ABS keyboards in with the sale. I hated my work keyboard after using a deck 82 key at home for the last 2 years. Gave one to my parents and been using the other at work. Its not quite 100% of the deck but I'd say its 90% of it, totally worth the $20 and recommend it at $30-40 as a starter keyboard to anyone.

Too bad you can't buy it any more

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Kessel posted:

Wow, that thing is huge. Thanks for the dimensions! I was seriously considering it until I found out that the left-side Steelseries key doesn't map as a Windows key.

Deal-breaker. I use my keyboard on the Mac side of things as well, and not having a left-side Apple key would be a supreme pain in the arse. :(

You really lose the left-option key, unless you actually leave command bound to the win key.

Still a deal-breaker.

Same thing as the media keys version of the Das Keyboard S

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I figured I'd draw attention to it since I overlooked it when I purchased mine.
I was initially a bit surprised and disappointed when I found that the steelseries key can not be re-mapped with auto-hotkey.

Like I say, I re-mapped CapsLock as winkey and I'm more than happy.
I can't think of a single time in 15+ years that i've used CapsLock .

literally 1 command in AHK sorts it.

Capslock::RWin

in notepad saved as AutoHotkey.ahk and it's done.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

How much did all those rubber O-rings run you?

Like ten or fifteen bucks at Lowe's. Very worth it.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

GreatGreen posted:

Like ten or fifteen bucks at Lowe's. Very worth it.

Word.

Just ordered a Filco 104key with cherry browns, couldn't be more excited to cease typing on a two dollar membrane with a bizarro layout

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2010

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Does anyone here rock wristpads and/or can recommend some?

e: I know you aren't supposed to rest your wrists while typing/mousing, but it could be more comfortable 'at rest'?

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 24, 2010

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I use one at work and they're great when your model-m sits half an inch off the desk.

Pity they're stupidly expensive for what they are. I want one at home :(

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 24, 2010

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Is anyone using a Apple wired keyboard with Windows 7 64-bit? Have you tried installing the Boot Camp drivers to get the function keys (prev/next track, etc.) to work?

I did it under Vista 64 and it worked fine, but when I tried with with Windows 7 it made my system unstable and I ended up formatting and reinstalling since uninstall and system restore didn't help. I'm curious if anyone else has gotten it to work.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

admiraldennis posted:

Does anyone here rock wristpads and/or can recommend some?

e: I know you aren't supposed to rest your wrists while typing/mousing, but it could be more comfortable 'at rest'?

I thought the whole point of elevated wrist-wrests was that they were more ergonomical.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

So, what the hell is the difference between all the Filco keyboard models?

EDIT : So, if I just want a keyboard I can type for long periods of time and quickly - I want just want the standard one, not the NKRO?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 26, 2010

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

King Nothing posted:

Is anyone using a Apple wired keyboard with Windows 7 64-bit? Have you tried installing the Boot Camp drivers to get the function keys (prev/next track, etc.) to work?

I did it under Vista 64 and it worked fine

Could you use the keyboard brightness control in Vista when you had it working?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

King Nothing posted:

I did it under Vista 64 and it worked fine, but when I tried with with Windows 7 it made my system unstable and I ended up formatting and reinstalling since uninstall and system restore didn't help. I'm curious if anyone else has gotten it to work.

My wired keyboard works absolutely fine on 7 ultimate 64 with the drivers from my snow leopard installation disc.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

strayan posted:

Could you use the keyboard brightness control in Vista when you had it working?

Yeah, but it only affected my Apple monitor (I have a Dell also).

nerdrum posted:

My wired keyboard works absolutely fine on 7 ultimate 64 with the drivers from my snow leopard installation disc.

I guess I should have mentioned, I'm not installing the drivers on an Apple computer. The computer's a custom build with an Asus motherboard. I am using the Snow Leopard DVD though (I do have a Macbook). Are you doing this on a Mac?

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 26, 2010

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

So, what the hell is the difference between all the Filco keyboard models?

EDIT : So, if I just want a keyboard I can type for long periods of time and quickly - I want just want the standard one, not the NKRO?

Tactile Touch - you feel the key register, doesn't make the loud clicky noise.
Tactile Click - you feel the key register, and it makes a loud clicky noise.
Linear Force - you don't feel or hear anything, the keys rocket all the way to the bottom.

I don't think most people need NKRO unless you regularly press as many keys at once as you have fingers.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jetfire posted:

Tactile Touch - you feel the key register, doesn't make the loud clicky noise.
Tactile Click - you feel the key register, and it makes a loud clicky noise.
Linear Force - you don't feel or hear anything, the keys rocket all the way to the bottom.

I don't think most people need NKRO unless you regularly press as many keys at once as you have fingers.

To clarify to Tab8715 which type of keys correspond to your descriptions...

Cherry Browns - Non clickey keys. There is a tiny bump in the travel of the key, half way through the key travel, but otherwise pretty smooth. Basically, these are the Cherry Blues but without the noise. Also, lighter pressure required than Blues. Not too light for comfort or anything, but the lightest of the three types of Cherry keys mentioned here. Tactile Touch.

Cherry Blues - Clicky keys. The click makes some tactile feedback, meaning you'll feel the click when it happens in the middle of the key travel. Medium light pressure activated keys. Tactile click.

Cherry Blacks - Non clickey keys, no bump in the key travel. These keys are smooth all the way through. Slightly more pressure required to press these keys than the Cherry Blue or Cherry Brown keys. Linear force.

I've heard that the Cherry Browns are the most popular. I use a Filco with Cherry Browns and I think it's fantastic. I highly recommend them. Also, not to be that guy or anything, but see my other posts in this thread for mods and things that will make your life easier regarding using Filco keyboards.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 26, 2010

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

Footboy posted:

The OP has a bias against wireless keyboards.

I picked up a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 a couple weeks ago. It's got shallow laptop-style keys and it's a lot quieter than my old board. My only beef is the lack of LEDs for NumLock and so on, and that the function keys double as MS Office shortcuts and are labeled as such. It's worth it for having a Calculator shortcut next to the numpad, though.

Also, the keyboard keeps turning off, but I think that's a defect= specific to the one I bought; I'll swap it out tomorrow and see how that goes.

Proud new owner of the "Wireless Desktop 3000" which includes one of these plus a fancy pants Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (which works on just about any surface).

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=116

Can't talk about how it works for gaming but this is perfect for a media pc environment because of how versatile the mouse is. Also, I hate typing on laptops and the keys here are better than acceptable. They don't feel too shallow at all.

Happy with my new toy :) Astonishingly cheap too!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hmm. I'm seriously considering the Filco Cherry Browns, but maybe the Blues too? Are the blues louder than the browns? That's my only main concern. I want a keyboard I a can mash forever on when I'm programming as I can't do that with my Apple keyboard, Thinkpad laptop works better - or at least feels like it.

EDIT - What would it take to make a natural-style buckling spring keyboard? Assuming price is no-object. C'mon there must be some mechanical engineers on SA.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

King Nothing posted:

I guess I should have mentioned, I'm not installing the drivers on an Apple computer. The computer's a custom build with an Asus motherboard. I am using the Snow Leopard DVD though (I do have a Macbook). Are you doing this on a Mac?

I'm doing this on a P35 ds3l hackintosh setup running windows 7 / snow leopard. Like I said, zero issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tab8715 posted:

Hmm. I'm seriously considering the Filco Cherry Browns, but maybe the Blues too? Are the blues louder than the browns? That's my only main concern. I want a keyboard I a can mash forever on when I'm programming as I can't do that with my Apple keyboard, Thinkpad laptop works better - or at least feels like it.

The blues will definitely be louder than the browns. The noise from the browns is pretty much just the impact when the keys bottom out; the actual travel doesn't make all that much noise (thus, the o-ring hack from earlier in this thread). I can't really feel the bump while I'm typing on my browns, so if you want feedback to lift your fingers before you bottom out, you'll probably want the blues.

FWIW, I was a pretty big fan of my Thinkpad keys before I gummed some of them up, and I think my Filco with the browns is the best keyboard I've ever used by a huge margin. I've actually improved my productivity while programming because I look forward to the opportunity to type things out on it!

• Locked thread