Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Brown Moses posted:

Yes, Kickstarter rejected it, but I've raised over £1000 of my £6000 target in the first two hours, so it's their loss.

I didn't think there was much difference between what you're doing and what Penny Arcade did with their Kickstarter. Guess the rules are more elastic when you're worth millions in pledges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm getting a few people saying I should accept Bitcoins, any thoughts on that?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Maluco Marinero posted:

I didn't think there was much difference between what you're doing and what Penny Arcade did with their Kickstarter. Guess the rules are more elastic when you're worth millions in pledges.
They were very explicit that the way the Kickstarter worked was that people paid to remove ads from the PA website. A lot of people perceived it as "Hey, throw money at us to keep doing what we're doing", but they clearly were pretty deliberate in defining "You donate X to make Y happen, and Y will not happen if we don't hit X", and I'm guessing they wouldn't have gotten approved if they had been more nebulous.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm getting a few people saying I should accept Bitcoins, any thoughts on that?

Don't.

Also, het, I see your point but drat if it isn't flimsy. I mean, all you need is to ask one 'why' on what the money is actually for so they can take away ads, and the answer of course is so they can keep doing what they're doing.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Are games alright here?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

I started a kickstarter for my first game. I'm asking for just enough to get a Mac mini and finish the game. Up until now it has been completely built on a hackintosh system. I'm at an impass with my laptops abilities, and constant crashes this late in production is really slowing me down. I don't really have much to offer except a free game on ios.

Bitcrobes is the name, and it's a fun microorganism game and simulator. As you survive you upgrade your microbe with defenses and attachments to survive.

I know my kickstarter isn't too exciting, but hopefully the small amount will be met. If not production goes on, albeit slowly!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Lede published their piece on my campaign, hopefully that'll get it some serious attention.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

BM in your position I would accept bitcoins. I expect a chunk of your funding will come from people with a vested interest in you continuing your work and bitcoin (despite it's obvious drawbacks) is still currency and allows them anonymity even from you. There are people who believe in it as a concept (I am not one of them) who wouldn't trust paypal or something like that. You can just sell them for GBP as you get them. A minor hassle but at the end of the day if that is how people want to pay why not let them?

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 20, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well this is our project. I mean technically it's a buddy of mine's, but I'll be helping out on it pretty extensively.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/799102000/bloom-4

It's a sci-fi short called Bloom. It's a subtle emotional piece about a dying breed and planet. Humanity is in orbit around the earth which is becoming increasingly barren and the birth rate amongst humans in orbit is declining. Folks are chosen by a lottery to be sent to the surface to run both physical tests for plant life rehabilitation and emotional studies on why the birth rate is declining.

We're all experienced enough to get it done and do it well.

edit: The video has a basically a project intro and then a little teaser.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 25, 2013

Corpun
Jul 11, 2004

And. . .this is my Indiegogo campaign:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zoot-suit-riot/x/2812351

The short description would be something along the lines of:

Its a Japanese variety show that's built around Zoot Suits, swing dancing and some of the stranger things you can find in San Francisco.

I had some grandiose ideas at first as to how successful it was going to be so this is a revised version of the campaign. I'm better at making weird poo poo that I am at business strategy although time will tell if I'm any good at the former either.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Bad Braff: The Zach Braff Movie Project

We just got this up last night! Everyone loves Zach Braff! But how much? Well, enough to throw millions of low-in-supply dollars at his movie despite a studio's willingness to pay for it. That was all the evidence we needed. We know you want more Braff, so get ready for it! Bad Braff is a completely fictional biopic about Zach Braff. In our version of events he is also a serial killer. We promise you Braff.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-zach-braff-movie-project-bad-braff?c=home

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I am one of the artists (main background/environment artist) on a visual novel game project called Errant Heart. Rather than a dating sim as the name often implies, it is more focused on telling a story with elements of dark fantasy and intrigue in a small 1940s Italian town. There are several demos available that give a taste of the story. We have a team consisting of two published graphic novel authors and a well known videogame composer... as for me I have several years experience working in art for commercial adventure games among other things.
I encourage you to check it out if you are into games which focus heavily on story and characters.
http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851478113/errant-heart-a-visual-novel
The bulk of the game (script, character art etc.) is essentially done, and the project is to pay for additional artwork and music to finish the game as a polished package. We have already raised a good deal of the goal but the campaign is almost over and we are not quite there yet... please consider helping us make this project a reality. Thanks

ufarn
May 30, 2009

John Blaster posted:

Bad Braff: The Zach Braff Movie Project

We just got this up last night! Everyone loves Zach Braff! But how much? Well, enough to throw millions of low-in-supply dollars at his movie despite a studio's willingness to pay for it. That was all the evidence we needed. We know you want more Braff, so get ready for it! Bad Braff is a completely fictional biopic about Zach Braff. In our version of events he is also a serial killer. We promise you Braff.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-zach-braff-movie-project-bad-braff?c=home
Same with Veronica Mars. The amount that movie raised is not enough to actually make the movie.

aronf13
May 9, 2013

films, music, books, shows, lulz, love, travel, eat, wash, rinse, repeat
This isn't my creative project, but my buddies are film majors and have used their school equipment to make a pilot for this web series. They're graduating now, but have a pretty talented crew and would like to finish this series as well as get their production team started. It's 2 parts. Definitely watch the 2'nd part; I think that's where it really gets rolling.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7X11h-SClc

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOfpw3_DD0

My take on the pilot is that it's a little rusty....but has it's moments. And it's their first film project. They've learned a lot and are super confident that the rest of their series will be something that viewers will love. Some of the writer/director's biggest influences are breaking bad and the Coen Brothers. He's very conscious of the things that did and didn't work in the final product. If you see the promising potential in this pilot, then here's their indiegogo!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/adventures-of-vince-theo

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I had some fun with Paypal yesterday. I've been running my Indiegogo fundraiser for a while, and with 6 days left I had arranged some interviews to generate some interest and raise a bit more money (including this one with Spiegel Online).

I checked my fundraiser to find someone had just donated £1000, but that had resulted in Paypal requesting information to verify my account. It was a bit of a pain in the arse, but I sent through the information, expecting it to be resolved quickly.

Sadly, Paypal decided that they'd much prefer to close my account, and told me the £4000 I had raised would be sent to me in six months. Seeing I had planned to use that money to support my work for six months this was obviously a disaster.

Luckily for me I know a lot of journalists and have a big Twitter following so pretty soon everyone was contacting various Paypal related Twitter accounts, and querying why my account had been closed. Stuart Hughes of the BBC suggested everyone Tweet the President of Paypal, David Marcus, about my plight, which eventually resulted in this:

So it's late, and I go to bed hoping to hear something in the morning, and at about 1am I'm woken by a phone call Paypal, saying my account has been reopened, and apologising for it in the first place. All in all it took about 6 hours, which is probably the fastest a closed Paypal account has ever been reopened.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Not anything to do with me but I owe the man a favour so here goes.

End.user the prolific drum and bass/jungle producer has set up a kick starter for his new colab project. Pledges of only $300 get an official Enduser remix of your track you hold all the rights to (He would probably charge way more than this normally). Obviously there are many cheaper options including $25 sample packs and $10 pre-orders and whatnot. Check it out anyways.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1626257030/enduser-iamthesun-split-only-we-can-see-her-shadow

For those who like drum n bass/breakcore who don't know enduser. Ouch. This may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJ80Y1YLJY

Check this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcuEpxvfdUw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PayPal is the loving worst. I just dumped them for Serve (I've been a longtime AmEx holder though so I like keeping it all in house). Glad to see you might get some resolution.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Brown Moses posted:

So it's late, and I go to bed hoping to hear something in the morning, and at about 1am I'm woken by a phone call Paypal, saying my account has been reopened, and apologising for it in the first place. All in all it took about 6 hours, which is probably the fastest a closed Paypal account has ever been reopened.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's impressive how much clout it seems you're able to wield yet this project is barely limping into a modest goal amount. I was not kidding when I said I was expecting this to raise six figures on KS. I don't know if I just wildly overestimated its appeal or if flex funding Indiegogo hamstrung you that much.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's frustrating, especially as the fundraiser has been mentioned in some big news outlets. I guess next time I better print some Brown Moses Blog t-shirts and shot glasses. One good thing is Avaaz might be providing me with some additional funding, so that would be very useful.

Doodle3D
Apr 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

A project of mine called Doodle3D is currently seeking on kickstarter

It is part of an ongoing effort to make consumer 3D printers more accessible to the general public. Currently 3D modeling is a major hurdle for anyone getting into 3D printing, and we are looking to remedy this by coming up with software applications that make printing easier and more fun.

Doodle3D let's you create handdrawings on tablets, extrude or manipulate them and send them directly to your 3D printer.
We've used our alpha version with great success so far in workshops at elementary schools in the Netherlands.

We have a neat video up at our kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/companje/doodle3d
Mashable also has a video: http://mashable.com/2013/05/14/doodle3d/

https://www.doodle3d.com

Please come check us out! We have a few great stretchgoals that we would love to reach.

Regards,
Nico

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Hey everyone, I've just been approved on Kickstarter, so I'm gonna shamelessly share it here with you.

Younger Than You: Documenting America

My friend Chris and I frequently collaborate on phototrips, photoshoots and traveling around the world to document whatever we can. This is our first foray into actually publishing any of it. We're looking to produce a book from our two month trip around the country digging up stories from the interesting people we meet. Portraits of these people, their stories, and photos from all of the landscapes and scenes we see around the country will be included in the book. All of the money goes directly to the publishing of the book, we really want to stress that nothing is going to be put forth to help us travel. We are completely funding that aspect. We're going to produce an initial run of 100 copies: 150 page full-color and hardcover.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, if you do. Even a look over and your interest in the trip would be great.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

scotty posted:

Hey everyone, I've just been approved on Kickstarter, so I'm gonna shamelessly share it here with you.

Do you have a portfolio for people to review?

It's not clear that you are covering the travelling expenses on your own.

Why are you attempting to garner publishing costs before you have the content? If the travelling expenses are covered, would it not be easier to create a complete mock-up which may include some of the stories you uncover? At this point people don't really know what they're contributing too aside from a vague road trip.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Thanks for that Oh My Science, we're really new to all of this. I updated the page with all the appropriate replies to your questions, but for here: we do have a "portfolio," it's not what we'd show for landing jobs but our collaborative photography effort is [url=http://youngerthanyou.net/]Younger Than You[url].

I edited the page and highlighted in bold in the first paragraph and in the FAQ that the travel expenses are to be covered by us and the donations only go towards the production of the book.

The publishing costs will be raised now so that we can have a base to start off from when we return from the trip. We're bringing the designer of the book on the road with us and we'll be designing it as we go. As soon as we get home, or maybe on the drive home, we'll be sending the book in for publishing. No wait, and the sooner that starts the sooner we will be able to start the work on the gallery.

I'm going to have to get together with Chris tonight and work on making these paragraphs on Kickstarter more transparent than they are. I see that now. Thanks for the help man.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

scotty posted:

No matter how you try to explain it, crowdfunding for these kinds of projects has been spoiled by "fund my vacation" types. Honestly the better way to do this is to go have your adventure, then come back with all your photos and stories and decide whether its worth making a book out of and carry on from there. If you truly don't need the money to pay for the vacation, then why put the cart before the horse? Come back and wow everyone with the photos you took and the amazing people you met. That will be a much easier sell.

If you're going forward with it as is, I hope you have a detailed targeted marketing campaign.

aronf13
May 9, 2013

My dear friend aza just got accepted into a grad school program for psychology. She's a bad rear end and has hopes and dreams of helping mankind confront modernization's detritus, tune in to hidden interpersonal dynamics, become more self-aware, deal with dysfunction, blah blah blah all that hippie poo poo. If you're all for giving a poo poo about people who need shits to be given about them, then give her some poo poo so that she can pass those shits on to those consumed by their poo poo!

https://www.wepay.com/donations/clinical-psych-grad-school-fund

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
A game studio in Canada that I did voice acting for on their first game is working on a second project that looks really awesome for fans of space combat games. Consider supporting them because these guys are a hell of a lot of talent for their size!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
MakeMosik
This is the brain child of me and a couple of my friends. It's called MakeMosik, and it's gonna be an open source DAW.
What's a DAW? Think FL Studio, Reason, Ableton, etc. - But this one will be free and open source
What's the deal - $100,000?! - Well, we need to buy legitimate copies of a bunch of different VSTs and software, as well as a bunch of hardware configurations to test. Good news for you - unless we make the goal, we don't get the money. It's fixed funding.
Where is your proof of concept, or screenshots? - We're still working on this. Unfortunately, I'm a dumbass and didn't github any of the source in the early stages, and I didn't think to back up any files when I sold my laptop to get a desktop. So, when I formatted the laptop, I realized about 5 minutes later I was lacking a lot of my important data! :(
There's more info on the link. If you would like to get involved with coding and stuff, my contact info is on the indiegogo page - PAYMENT WILL BE INVOLVED IF THIS IS SUCCESSFUL AND YOU HELPED CODE IT!

What language are we coding it in? C++
Why? Because, steinberg's VST / VSTHost sdk is free now and it is C++ based.

Linkage:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/makemosik-the-open-source-daw/x/3171420

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Brown Moses posted:

It's frustrating, especially as the fundraiser has been mentioned in some big news outlets. I guess next time I better print some Brown Moses Blog t-shirts and shot glasses. One good thing is Avaaz might be providing me with some additional funding, so that would be very useful.

This is the first I've read about your project, I'm genuinely curious why you chose IGG over KS? KS allows for UK based projects and if you ask me, all things being equal you should choose KS because there's more eyes there.

Also you crazy look like Mark Ruffalo

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

This is the first I've read about your project, I'm genuinely curious why you chose IGG over KS? KS allows for UK based projects and if you ask me, all things being equal you should choose KS because there's more eyes there.

Also you crazy look like Mark Ruffalo

I tried Kickstarter first, but they rejected my project, which was a pain. In addition to the money raised during the fundraiser Avaaz are arranging a grant for my blog as well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I tried Kickstarter first, but they rejected my project, which was a pain. In addition to the money raised during the fundraiser Avaaz are arranging a grant for my blog as well.

drat that sucks, any reason given?

As to your bitcoin question, I would say no. Too much hassle, and I'm in no position to discuss economic theory, but it just isn't worth it. I think the only way it would be worthwhile is if you made a gimmick post about it on Reddit but even then the appeal for them would be more about the novelty of being able to crowdfund a project through bitcoin rather than any inherent interest in the bitcoin community. Most Bitcoinstarter projects (yes that's a thing) have gotten nothing. There just isn't widespread enough adoption for people who care about your project to have a use for bitcoin. Anyone interested in it will use dirty fiat money to begin with

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 28, 2013

aronf13
May 9, 2013

aronf13 posted:

My dear friend aza just got accepted into a grad school program for psychology. She's a bad rear end and has hopes and dreams of helping mankind confront modernization's detritus, tune in to hidden interpersonal dynamics, become more self-aware, deal with dysfunction, blah blah blah all that hippie poo poo. If you're all for giving a poo poo about people who need shits to be given about them, then give her some poo poo so that she can pass those shits on to those consumed by their poo poo!

https://www.wepay.com/donations/clinical-psych-grad-school-fund

She has a new page she asked me to post :b Now she's giving out homemade bracelets and jewelry!
http://www.gofundme.com/32emrg

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
I've got a new Kickstarter in the preview stage... feel free to leave feedback on it.

Sriracha Flavored Beef Jerky
http://kck.st/18uAVk8

We already sell this stuff here on SA, and people love the poo poo out of it, but we need more/better equipment to make this a 100% consistent product that ships quick.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
edit: I need to do some more research.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 30, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Is this the best thread to ask some basic kickstarter questions, or is there another more appropriate?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

Is this the best thread to ask some basic kickstarter questions, or is there another more appropriate?

As good a place as any. You could always try the Awful KS thread in GBS but you won't get a terrible amount of sympathy if it's self-indulgent

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

As good a place as any. You could always try the Awful KS thread in GBS but you won't get a terrible amount of sympathy if it's self-indulgent

I'm not looking for sympathy, but honestly GBS is scary sometimes even for jaded people like me.

I'd like to eventually put out a photo book on one of my interests. The problem I have is that I don't really have the basic photo equipment necessary to do the project.

On one hand, I see students using kickstarter to fund their adventures/vacation/journey, asking for funding for gas money/hotels/etc and at least some of the proposals seem to get funded. In that light, I don't see equipment purchases as inappropriate or outrageous as they could be considered a cost of doing the project.

On the other hand, there is a part of me that is saying that a KS campaign shouldn't be a vehicle to permanently increase the amount of camera gear that I own even if that isn't the primary purpose of the project or the overall intent.

Are there basic guidelines dealing with these kinds of questions? If not, I'd like some opinions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

KS says it has rules. People flout them all the time, what you should be more concerned about is people getting pissed at you, GBS or not. KS may look the other way when you ask for equipment money but at the very least you gotta prove to people you have the skills to complete what you say you will complete and that includes previous work

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

The more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with the idea of using KS monies for equipment. To put it in accounting terms, expenses to complete the project are ok but asset acquisition isn't.

The plan (should I decide to pursue it) would basically entail starting a website with the types of work I might publish, upgrade my equipment, take book quality pics, then look at a KS project to get the book out with the improved work. Lower resolution work (like for web) is not nearly as a demanding equipment sync as print work can be, so that should be doable with older stuff.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

CrushedWill posted:

The more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with the idea of using KS monies for equipment. To put it in accounting terms, expenses to complete the project are ok but asset acquisition isn't.

The plan (should I decide to pursue it) would basically entail starting a website with the types of work I might publish, upgrade my equipment, take book quality pics, then look at a KS project to get the book out with the improved work. Lower resolution work (like for web) is not nearly as a demanding equipment sync as print work can be, so that should be doable with older stuff.

You've hit the nail on the head with that... The GBS Awful KS thread went absolutely :shrek: BANANAS :shrek: when some teenage boy made a campaign to help him buy a brand new, top of the line gaming laptop just so he could "write a novel" on it. He obviously already had a laptop - he even wrote the campaign on it... He just wanted to upgrade to the kind of laptop you mortgage your firstborn to afford. He also did not have any samples of his writing, so there's that, too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

What you could consider is renting equipment so you can make a pitch showing what you can do with it . I think the best KS is one that spends a little money to make money. Or effort if money is tight

I don't think it's a proper KS without some risk taking involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zookey64
Jul 15, 2006
Cool Dood
Hey Guys, this is my little project I have up on kickstarter right now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1163693996/2014-horsing-around-calendar

Its a fun little thing I put together after having given it as kind of a half joke to my friends last Christmas, everyone really liked it a lot and I had requests to make more and sell them to the public, but I just cant come up with the funds to do it outright. I found a cool printing place in China that does great work and its rates are really great, so thats where all the money is going into. Afterwards if it goes well I would really like to do something like put it up on Amazon maybe or what not. All the pictures were taken by my wife and myself. It only has about 11 days left, I was just having a real hard time trying to figure out where to post it to get some attention, so anything that might help it out, even just spreading the word would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!