Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

sos posted:

What in the gently caress is this?

Hoo-Wha..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

sos posted:

What in the gently caress is this?

A round of the clap, probably.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Sorry, I only go for the muscled brutes.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

The Stygian posted:

Sorry, I only go for the muscled brutes.

Kimba
Jun 25, 2012

Guess you haven't even graduated. I work with the ones that turn up here. I see the other side of the remnants of war. EVERY DAY.

Maybe when you have grown your balls you will laugh at the memories of tear gas and abuse and ugly trauma as I have learnt to in my 3 years service in what >I> do.

No interest in hooking up. Just in talking about the crap you went through to help me relate and be at peace more to what >I> go through. When the invaded and bombed show up here.

Dickhead.

Its not only YOU that have to deal with that crap.

Get some education. YOU are embarrassing!

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Kimba posted:

Guess you haven't even graduated. I work with the ones that turn up here. I see the other side of the remnants of war. EVERY DAY.

Maybe when you have grown your balls you will laugh at the memories of tear gas and abuse and ugly trauma as I have learnt to in my 3 years service in what >I> do.

No interest in hooking up. Just in talking about the crap you went through to help me relate and be at peace more to what >I> go through. When the invaded and bombed show up here.

Dickhead.

Its not only YOU that have to deal with that crap.

Get some education. YOU are embarrassing!

:yosbutt:

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

God I love that arse.

Anyways, I've almost done my Bach of Bus (Accounting), and grad mid 2013. Of course, I'm looking for full time work in the tax field, but I've also wanted to go into the reserves as a Finance Officer.

I've seen what the job is all about, and it doesn't seem too different to stuff I've done in my degree or in the workplace. The big thing now is the running - I'm working on it, but still have to lose the weight (bulked up for power lifting). I've also heard that there are several ways you can go about it - shuttle run or a 2.4 k run. Can someone confirm this? I'm more inclined to think it'd be a shuttle, which would require a bit of time to get my cardio up and weight down.

I've applied for positions in the past, so I know about the tests involved - one time, when I was 18, I applied for an Officer position way, WAY out of my league (Infantry Officer). I'm 24 now, and a bit wiser now (hopefully).

Finally - I've driven past Enogerra Barracks a fair few times, and it's where I'd be if I get in. Has anyone been stationed there?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

God I love that arse.

Anyways, I've almost done my Bach of Bus (Accounting), and grad mid 2013. Of course, I'm looking for full time work in the tax field, but I've also wanted to go into the reserves as a Finance Officer.

I've seen what the job is all about, and it doesn't seem too different to stuff I've done in my degree or in the workplace. The big thing now is the running - I'm working on it, but still have to lose the weight (bulked up for power lifting). I've also heard that there are several ways you can go about it - shuttle run or a 2.4 k run. Can someone confirm this? I'm more inclined to think it'd be a shuttle, which would require a bit of time to get my cardio up and weight down.

I've applied for positions in the past, so I know about the tests involved - one time, when I was 18, I applied for an Officer position way, WAY out of my league (Infantry Officer). I'm 24 now, and a bit wiser now (hopefully).

Finally - I've driven past Enogerra Barracks a fair few times, and it's where I'd be if I get in. Has anyone been stationed there?

The preliminary fitness assessment has a shuttle run to 7.5. But once you're in you need to do the 2.4km run for Army. Although, that's supposedly changing with PESA whenever/if that gets introduced.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

cruelangeleo7 posted:

The preliminary fitness assessment has a shuttle run to 7.5. But once you're in you need to do the 2.4km run for Army. Although, that's supposedly changing with PESA whenever/if that gets introduced.
Everything I've heard and read says that the BFA will remain as-is, and that the PES will only replace the Combat Fitness Assessment.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I've also heard that there are several ways you can go about it - shuttle run or a 2.4 k run. Can someone confirm this? I'm more inclined to think it'd be a shuttle, which would require a bit of time to get my cardio up and weight down.

I'm pretty sure that people over 50 (maybe 55) get the BFA option (2.4km run/5km walk) because the chances of them passing the shuttle are gently caress all. Mainly aimed at graduates and professionals.

But for you dude, shuttle run.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

Everything I've heard and read says that the BFA will remain as-is, and that the PES will only replace the Combat Fitness Assessment.

That makes sense. The PESA seemed pretty ambitious for a BFA replacement.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

This is 100% correct. BFAs will remain in place.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

sos posted:

This is 100% correct. BFAs will remain in place.

Because 2 minutes worth of pushups, 5 minutes worth of situps and ~9-12 minutes worth of running are an accurate assessment of physical fitness.

I hate military fitness and anything related to it. poo poo's retarded.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

Because 2 minutes worth of pushups, 5 minutes worth of situps and ~9-12 minutes worth of running are an accurate assessment of physical fitness.

I hate military fitness and anything related to it. poo poo's retarded.

I agree that BFAs are easy, but that is why they are the Basic Fitness Assessment. They are supposed to be the minimum level required to serve in the Army in any capacity. The PES is Corps and Job specific. We have already started doing them in Artillery and they are a much better indicator of peoples ability to successfully do their jobs, especially in arms corps.

We do 10km 38kg pack march followed by fire and movement, similar to a beep test with webbing, weapon and 20kg weight vest between 4 4m shuttles 16 times through. After that we do a leopard crawl, followed by a box lift up to 45kg, followed by a 155mm bomb carry, followed by carrying 2x20kg water jerries between 2 20m markers 11 times.

Its a lot better then the CFA as it is job specific.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
That sounds amazing. I wish the Royal Navy had something similar. Our current fitness test is a 2.4km run or a bleep test. They might even be introducing press ups and sit ups. I understand that our fitness tests have to be compatible with being completed in limited space, sometimes it's literally rock up to a foreign port, lay out cones on the quayside for the bleep test and crack on.

But our firefighting and damage control on board are demanding physically. There ought to be something in there with respect to load carrying, maybe jerrycans or fireman's lift. Trying to lug a injured 28 stone stoker up 4 decks is not fun. Or easy.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
I was watching the cricket today and an add came up for this

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/oneyearroles/

12 month full-time contract(?) in a support role of some kind. Anyone got any opinions on this? Could well be something I'd be interested in, depending on how this year ends for me and what I hear/find out about these one year roles.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

WreckSov posted:

12 month full-time contract(?) in a support role of some kind. Anyone got any opinions on this? Could well be something I'd be interested in, depending on how this year ends for me and what I hear/find out about these one year roles.

Army can't fill all of their vacancies in a dozen or so particular jobs so they reduced the initial commitment to 1 year.

Real talk: do you really want to sign up for a job that they've acknowledged they can't keep people in, so as a last resort have reduced the contract to one year instead of four in the hopes of enticing people into them?

Orange Someone posted:

Trying to lug a injured 28 stone stoker up 4 decks is not fun. Or easy.

Somehow it always ends up that the big, fat gently caress stoker is a casualty. Every loving time. Why can't it be the 4ft tall writer?

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2012

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
edit: nvm, her drama speaks for itself.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 21, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Dude McAwesome posted:

Army can't fill all of their vacancies in a dozen or so particular jobs so they reduced the initial commitment to 1 year.

Real talk: do you really want to sign up for a job that they've acknowledged they can't keep people in, so as a last resort have reduced the contract to one year instead of four in the hopes of enticing people into them?

Somehow it always ends up that the big, fat gently caress stoker is a casualty. Every loving time. Why can't it be the 4ft tall writer?

I died 3.5 times last DCT. The booties loved lugging me around the ship, mr beanpole.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

I died 3.5 times last DCT. The booties loved lugging me around the ship, mr beanpole.

You lucky son of a bitch. Being a casualty: best part of any exercise.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
The times I got thrown in sickbay's bathroom: alright.

The times I got multiple cups of coffee in the wardroom and chatting to the hot nurses: all good.

The time I died I a helicopter crash, got dowsed in tonnes of water and then abandoned on the edge of the flight deck in near zero weather: not quite so much fun.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Orange Someone posted:

The times I got thrown in sickbay's bathroom: alright.

The times I got multiple cups of coffee in the wardroom and chatting to the hot nurses: all good.

The time I died I a helicopter crash, got dowsed in tonnes of water and then abandoned on the edge of the flight deck in near zero weather: not quite so much fun.
Yeah it's not so fun to roleplay being dead when it's cold and raining (and you're wearing weather-inappropriate clothing) and you're almost at the onset of hypothermia. And a DS tells you to stop moving when it's just you shivering uncontrollably. For 3 hours. :smith:

Other than that one time, it was fun.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm no turkey-ass doctor, I'm a Turkey ASS Doctor!
Great thread. I'm about to head off soon (hopefully) as a Cavalryman (Formerly ASLAV Crewman).

Just as a heads up. I rang 13 19 01 in July 2010. I got recommended for my position June 2012 and It's now 9th January 2013 and I'm on the waiting list for Kapooka. 2.5 Years of DFR :psyduck:

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

CHITTYBAR posted:

Great thread. I'm about to head off soon (hopefully) as a Cavalryman (Formerly ASLAV Crewman).

Just as a heads up. I rang 13 19 01 in July 2010. I got recommended for my position June 2012 and It's now 9th January 2013 and I'm on the waiting list for Kapooka. 2.5 Years of DFR :psyduck:

Good work man - don't have an enlistment date yet? If you've got any questions about Camp Kapooka, shoot. I marched out in July 2012, so it's still pretty fresh!

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

The Stygian posted:

Good work man - don't have an enlistment date yet? If you've got any questions about Camp Kapooka, shoot. I marched out in July 2012, so it's still pretty fresh!

Enlistment Coordinator rang me to let me know she is pushing to get me into an intake asap. No date however.

What's Kapooka routine like on a daily basis? I understand what goes on in terms of learning, shooting, getting yelled at, PT, uniform maintenance etc, but I'm interested to know the basic ins and outs, like what happens at wake up and what happens before lights out...

sos
Dec 9, 2004

CHITTYBAR posted:

Enlistment Coordinator rang me to let me know she is pushing to get me into an intake asap. No date however.

What's Kapooka routine like on a daily basis? I understand what goes on in terms of learning, shooting, getting yelled at, PT, uniform maintenance etc, but I'm interested to know the basic ins and outs, like what happens at wake up and what happens before lights out...

Get up get smashed all day, go to bed repeat for 80 days or longer if you break yourself.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

CHITTYBAR posted:

What's Kapooka routine like on a daily basis?

Rookie mistake dude. Don't ever ask soldiers questions. Unless you want to spend the next few hours hearing about how "TOUGH THEY'VE DONE IT" and how "WE TOTALLY HAD IT HARDER THAN YOU BRO!"

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Dude McAwesome posted:

Rookie mistake dude. Don't ever ask soldiers questions. Unless you want to spend the next few hours hearing about how "TOUGH THEY'VE DONE IT" and how "WE TOTALLY HAD IT HARDER THAN YOU BRO!"

Except I'm a half-normal person and I'm not going to do that.

I'll smash out a generic schedule and post it tonight, a little bit later :)

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
The info here is what I went through in Delta company (the best company ;) ) so the details may vary a little bit, but not a huge amount of time.

0600: Revellie. You'll be woken up by the section commander/s and you'll have to scramble into the hallway, sheets over shoulders. They'll give you word of what you have to be dressed in - PT gear, cams, or we had 'scungies' - basically old cams that we wore for weapons/battle PT/dirty exercises. You'll have 15 minutes for everyone to shave (or neaten hair for the ladies), get dressed, and have beds made. All of them. This time may drop over the 12 weeks, it may not. We ended up with 9 and a half minutes for the whole lot at the end.

From here, depending on your meal timing for breakfast (1st or 2nd serving) you'll either go to the mess for 25-35 minutes, or conduct morning duties - basically cleaning the whole barracks area. Laundries, bedrooms, shitters, hallway, general outdoor area, or polishing whatever bits of brass are in the barracks.

After this, for the first week, you'll have lots of classes. They'll either be in the lecture theaters throughout, or in the barracks foyer. These can be taken by civilians, section commanders (Cpl), Platoon Seargent or Platoon Commander (Lt), covering a range of things. First week's lessons will basically be basic housekeeping/administration and safety stuff. You'll have PT generally 4 times per week, which'll either be a one or two 40-minute slot. For that, you'll need to get changed into PT gear, and on return, have a shower and get back into cams.

You'll rather early start learning tabulated data about the Steyr. Lots of it. You'll then learn basically how to use the thing before you get to take it out of the platoon armoury. First few prac lessons on the rifle are degrees of weapon readiness, cleaning, weapons safety, all that necessary bullshit. You'll then do lots of practise getting to know the thing inside out, before taking it to the range.

You get time for lunch and dinner - if you're a smoker, after these are your opportunites for smoking. Also if you want to ask the staff to go out for a dart, they're mostly pretty good (mine were, but I still had to ask for the smokers.) One of our corporals was pretty easy going in regards to when we could go out - pretty much because a lot of the time he'd end up scabbing them from us.

You will experience a bit of downtime between classes, after PT, all that poo poo. Just while they're waiting for the next event on the schedule, really. Phone time will be allocated, but it's never enough. You'll have to find the best spots for phone reception, because it varies wildly there.

The days are pretty much comprised entirely of cleaning, lessons, and eating. At the end of each day - 2130 - you'll have a shower and lights out will be at 2200, ready to start another day. The first week or two will be the hardest, because it's just an absolute loving shock. It gets better from there - when you're out, it'll seem easy as piss and to have gone super-quickly. Just a different matter while you're still stuck there!

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

That's answered a lot of questions. I recently had a friend finish Kapooka and he made the "rookie" mistake of accidentally calling a Bombardier a corporal because he couldn't distinguish the hat badge from the distance he was. He got blasted very hard by all the corporals and the Bombardier.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

CHITTYBAR posted:

That's answered a lot of questions. I recently had a friend finish Kapooka and he made the "rookie" mistake of accidentally calling a Bombardier a corporal because he couldn't distinguish the hat badge from the distance he was. He got blasted very hard by all the corporals and the Bombardier.

Haha, yeah, they'll take opportunities like that - I can see how much fun it'd be for NCO's to slam recruits for something like Corporal/Bombardier. We had a Bombardier in our sister platoon - certainly was a character.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

After 2.5 years of DFR, I'm so over waiting. I want my spot for Kapooka already!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

CHITTYBAR posted:

Don't worry too much about things like this. Everyone makes mistakes (at the start); own up to them, accept the beasting and insert "Yes, Corporal/Bombardier/etc!" where appropriate. Learn and move on, and they'll generally forget about it quickly.

I got yelled at once, because one of the seccos thought I was rolling my eyes at him when I was just glancing out of the corner of my eyes to check I was squared off with the person next to me (when about to go on parade). :shrug:

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm not too worried. I'm going in eyes wide open and expecting the worse, I know it going to be hard, but it only gets easier.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

CHITTYBAR posted:

I'm not too worried. I'm going in eyes wide open and expecting the worse, I know it going to be hard, but it only gets easier.

You will look back on Kapooka and laugh about it but while you are there you will be miserable, scared and feel like it will never end. Looking back on it now though I had some great times at Kapooka.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

sos posted:

You will look back on Kapooka and laugh about it but while you are there you will be miserable, scared and feel like it will never end. Looking back on it now though I had some great times at Kapooka.

Giant +1 to this. Honestly, nothing can prepare you for the giant culture shock that it is.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

Mentally I think I'll be alright (by alright I mean poses the mental strength to deal with it all) - I'm an AMBO so I see horrible poo poo all the time lol. I'm just blasting out the fitness as best I can to prepare me. Pushups, situps, running like a mad man.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
The biggest thing is the amount of stress you'll be under. You'll be under pressure to make timings and to learn every single thing about whatever you are learning about and whether the crease in your collar is the correct angle and if your pants are bloused at the right height. You'll look back and laugh at how much you cared about stupid poo poo, like your socks not being smiley enough.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

The biggest thing is the amount of stress you'll be under. You'll be under pressure to make timings and to learn every single thing about whatever you are learning about and whether the crease in your collar is the correct angle and if your pants are bloused at the right height. You'll look back and laugh at how much you cared about stupid poo poo, like your socks not being smiley enough.

Fuuuck I totally forgot about smiley face socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

sos posted:

Fuuuck I totally forgot about smiley face socks.

I still fold up every part of my uniform in the same way as we did at Kapooka. Including the socks. :(

• Locked thread