Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Cardiovorax posted:

Trying that right now, it's pretty neat. I'm not sure how much I trust it, though. An app that collects everything you type AND regularly phones home is kind of too suspicious to use long-term.

It's to improve the predictions on your keyboard. You can opt out from it collecting anything, but that would defeat its purpose. I have it look through my SMS history, but I don't have it collect my email, FB, and whatever else for typing predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but it does raise some serious concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcrmUTJZWw

For best results, avoid doing stupid things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BathroomTile posted:

It's to improve the predictions on your keyboard. You can opt out from it collecting anything, but that would defeat its purpose. I have it look through my SMS history, but I don't have it collect my email, FB, and whatever else for typing predictions.
Yeah, after checking on their homepage for what the thing actually does, it seems that your personalized stuff isn't actually sent onto their servers. Made me buy it on the spot, the stock Samsung keyboard was driving me crazy and Swype isn't much better.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 12, 2011

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Slywalker13 posted:

So I'm pissed enough at swype that I am looking for a new keyboard. Any suggestions? I still liked typing they way I did on the iphone so something like that would be fine.

I really like gingerbread keyboard pro, I used it on froyo as a huge improvement but now that i'm on GB cm7 I still use it over the stock keyboard.

I could just be imagining it's ability to auto-correct and superiority over the default cm7 keyboard, but it's predictions are drat close to being iphone-tier - i'm generally able to mash my fingers into the keyboard in a flurry and it works out fine

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Is anyone having trouble with Netflix since the latest update? I was forced to update it on my CM7 TouchPad and ever since it's been freezing and force closing a lot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Is anyone having trouble with Netflix since the latest update? I was forced to update it on my CM7 TouchPad and ever since it's been freezing and force closing a lot.
Actually yeah, someone was just bitching about it in another thread but hell if I can find it.

Also it won't let you do anything if you roll back to a working version, you have to use the broken one (if you believe the guy, I have no reason not to).

vvv Oh my God, that's the guy!!!!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah, I was bitching about it on the last page. Basically they updated, it was awful and everyone complained, so as a "gently caress you!" instead of fixing it they made it mandatory instead of optional without altering the update in any other way. It's freezing and force closing for pretty much everyone.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Shnooks posted:

Any recommendations for a Japanese keyboard and dictionary app?

Aedict
https://market.android.com/details?id=sk.baka.aedict

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another convert from ASTRO to Estrongs. Thanks to those that recommended it!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone have trouble using Opera to display the touch.Facebook website? The Friends, Messages, and Notifications pull down menus don't display correctly. They work fine in other browsers. Any fixes?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone have trouble using Opera to display the touch.Facebook website? The Friends, Messages, and Notifications pull down menus don't display correctly. They work fine in other browsers. Any fixes?

Opera has difficulty rendering a bunch of mobile sites for some reason.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 13, 2011

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
A while ago I swear I had some file browser app which let me select images with it, instead of having to go through the awful HTC gallery app which turns everything into a cropped square and only updates if you unmount and then mount your sdcard. Am I crazy or does such a thing still exist?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Quick Pic is the best gallery app I think. Much better than stock and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the HTC one. I think EStrong has an image viewer though, it has everything else.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What is the best music player for local files? I installed Winamp since that's what I use on my PC, but the 4x1 widget is ugly as poo poo and doesn't show album art.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*
ubermusic or poweramp

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How do you hide stuff from Winamp and PowerAmp? I tried the .nomedia trick, didn't work. Still picks up .wavs and such from games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SplitSoul posted:

How do you hide stuff from Winamp and PowerAmp? I tried the .nomedia trick, didn't work. Still picks up .wavs and such from games.

You can specifically tell PowerAmp which folders to scan for music, so I would say just segregate your music from your other stuff and make sure PowerAmp isn't scanning the non-music folders.

That advice is from having the PowerAmp trial installed for like 5 minutes though, so it may be wrong.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Inspector_71 posted:

You can specifically tell PowerAmp which folders to scan for music, so I would say just segregate your music from your other stuff and make sure PowerAmp isn't scanning the non-music folders.

That advice is from having the PowerAmp trial installed for like 5 minutes though, so it may be wrong.

Nope, that's spot on.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, I was bitching about it on the last page. Basically they updated, it was awful and everyone complained, so as a "gently caress you!" instead of fixing it they made it mandatory instead of optional without altering the update in any other way. It's freezing and force closing for pretty much everyone.

That's really lovely. I've skipped updates before but this time it wouldn't let me use Netflix until I updated, and I can't roll it back.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Vagrancy posted:

You could try Skitch and share to the Dropbox app/one of the other Note apps which have dropbox sync. If you're only using DB for the sync, you could try the Evernote/Skitch combo instead for a more seamless integration.
I've been trying out this app, and the actual drawing part works pretty well, but I can't figure out how to browse/open old notes. The home screen has buttons for "camera", "gallery", and "new note", but the gallery button justs lists my photos, not my notes.

I can save to dropbox, but it can't seem to import from dropbox, so it can't be used for syncing.

Maybe it works better with evernote, but I need it do do dropbox because the other computers I'm syncing with are linux-based.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Janin posted:

I've been trying out this app, and the actual drawing part works pretty well, but I can't figure out how to browse/open old notes. The home screen has buttons for "camera", "gallery", and "new note", but the gallery button justs lists my photos, not my notes.

I can save to dropbox, but it can't seem to import from dropbox, so it can't be used for syncing.

Maybe it works better with evernote, but I need it do do dropbox because the other computers I'm syncing with are linux-based.

Ah, misunderstood what you were asking for. A combination of Note Everything and Dropsync should do what you want.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Codiusprime posted:

Quick Pic is the best gallery app I think. Much better than stock and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the HTC one. I think EStrong has an image viewer though, it has everything else.

Nah, it's just a rip off of the HTC gallery. It crops pictures, doesn't update when you push files to your card and you can't browse for your image either.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Vagrancy posted:

Ah, misunderstood what you were asking for. A combination of Note Everything and Dropsync should do what you want.
Thanks, this works quite well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Did Facebook push notifications stop working this weekend or is it just me? I think my wife mentioned missing some things, too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, but they still show up in Library, it only works for Folders.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, but they still show up in Library, it only works for Folders.

No they don't show in the library either, Poweramp doesn't use the system media scanner at all

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

dissss posted:

No they don't show in the library either, Poweramp doesn't use the system media scanner at all

Eh, turns out the version I tried was ancient.

rabbitholediver
Oct 19, 2004
deeper and deeper
I don't know if any of you guys have used Circle Launcher before, but it's amazing at reducing app clutter on your home screens. https://market.android.com/details?id=de.dbware.circlelauncher.light&hl=en

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

rabbitholediver posted:

I don't know if any of you guys have used Circle Launcher before, but it's amazing at reducing app clutter on your home screens. https://market.android.com/details?id=de.dbware.circlelauncher.light&hl=en

I reduce app clutter on my homescreens by not putting so many apps on my homescreen.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Quickoffice Pro is the free Amazon app of the day. I'd still prefer it be Docs to Go, but this is still a pretty good deal.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Aatrek posted:

I reduce app clutter on my homescreens by not putting so many apps on my homescreen.

I do it with FolderOrganizer and LauncherPro. I don't have apps on my homescreen, just a scrollable dock and an Elixir widget.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

brc64 posted:

Did Facebook push notifications stop working this weekend or is it just me? I think my wife mentioned missing some things, too.

Mine still work most of the time but it's kind of unreliable still as I've noticed some issues with the entire notification system on Facebook. Even going to the website on my desktop, the pull down notification thing sometimes doesn't show some that I get notifications for on my phone and vice versa. Also I've had some comments suddenly disappear for five minutes or so and then show up again.

Guess Facebook is just acting weird lately. What else is new?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rabbitholediver posted:

I mean this as a completely honest question: what's the advantage of CL over Android's built-in folder function? Is it just that it's a little more visually slick? I've got a buddy who's obsessed with CL, and whenever I mention folders as a quicker, less memory-intensive alternative, he just kind of changes the subject.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Am I the only one that absolutely loves the Swype keyboard? Am I missing something wrong with it or is everyone just recommending a non Swype alternative?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Am I the only one that absolutely loves the Swype keyboard? Am I missing something wrong with it or is everyone just recommending a non Swype alternative?
No, you're not the only one. I love it and have absolutely no issues with it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Do apps purchased through the Amazon App Store ever get updates? I've got a couple (specifically Plants vs. Zombies) that I have never seen an update request for. I ask because PvZ has crashed a few times on me this last week on the new phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Do apps purchased through the Amazon App Store ever get updates?
Yes. Updates to Amazon's store suffer a week delay or so (compared to the Market), so they can be vetted. But otherwise it's the same, some apps are updated frequently, others not at all.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got a couple (specifically Plants vs. Zombies) that I have never seen an update request for. I ask because PvZ has crashed a few times on me this last week on the new phone.
PvZ has never been updated. That's Popcap being Popcap.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Quickoffice Pro is the free Amazon app of the day. I'd still prefer it be Docs to Go, but this is still a pretty good deal.

Amazon had OfficeSuite Pro 5 free a couple weeks ago. I wonder how this compares to it.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

IT Guy posted:

I love it and used it for nearly a year but I've given it up in recent days for the stock Gingerbread one. I spent too much time fighting with it and found more often than not it just loved guessing the wrong word. It was usually easily pressed on the word list but I type a lot of words that aren't in the library and don't like how it constantly auto corrects them and I had to use magical backspacing pressing methods to get words to stick. Doing any kind of search or web site URL was atrocious.

Stock android in landscape mode is nearly as fast and I think my friends appreciate not having to read typos that aren't even close to the real word due to auto correct. :) My mom loves SwiftKey X but she doesn't type fast enough to actually need multitouch out of her keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

VibrioCholera posted:

It was usually easily pressed on the word list but I type a lot of words that aren't in the library and don't like how it constantly auto corrects them and I had to use magical backspacing pressing methods to get words to stick.
You can turn auto-correction off.

• Locked thread