Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I vaguely remember motocross being involved.

I think it was Huntsman who had the guy riding the dirt bike through the desert.

Edit so I don't double post: Mike Huckabee is on the Daily Show and he looks like he's packing on the weight again.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nonsense posted:

Man celebrities changing their mind every four years. Deport all of Hollywood and save America!

edit: Remember Tim Pawlenty's youtube video announcing his candidacy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGXb8OFLlRs

This one was pretty good. It's bizarre to go back and watch these now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i66q1f3M3w

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

skaboomizzy posted:

I think it was Huntsman who had the guy riding the dirt bike through the desert.

Edit so I don't double post: Mike Huckabee is on the Daily Show and he looks like he's packing on the weight again.

That interview was interesting to me because it seemed that Stewart was at his strongest trying to defend gay marriage and Huckabee was at his weakest. I'm not explaining that very well, but what I took away from it is that Huckabee's social policies are not just going out of style, but people are starting to have far less tolerance for that. I truly do not see a path to victory for Huckabee in the general election if he's basically using the same Romney/GOP economic plan with even worse social policy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

skaboomizzy posted:

Is it failed candidate week over at Comedy Central or something? Gingrich was on Colbert a few days ago, can we get some more Huntsman next week and maybe a bit of Rick Perry?

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

agarjogger posted:

I can't think of another half-credible national guy that I would hit the streets for. If we see another financial disaster this term, and the conservatives' answer is for Caliph Santorum to take us back to the Roman Denarius and daughter-trading, Spitzer would have an excellent shot no matter what the hell our low-functioning autistic media says about anything. All the bullshit fake-moralizing is on the right, Democrats just want their officials to do a good job so they can leave things the hell alone between elections.
I couldn't care less who politicians want to put their dicks in, on, or around, but Spitzer didn't just gently caress some chick, he broke the law. Which sounds whiny and pedantic, but there it is. He was talking out of one side of his mouth, prosecuting prostitution cases as AG, and at the same time breaking those same laws. He thinks he gets to live life on another track than everyone else, where the rules don't apply to him. That shouldn't be presidential material.

Also he had the state police monitor his political enemies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SombreroAgnew posted:

I couldn't care less who politicians want to put their dicks in, on, or around, but Spitzer didn't just gently caress some chick, he broke the law. Which sounds whiny and pedantic, but there it is. He was talking out of one side of his mouth, prosecuting prostitution cases as AG, and at the same time breaking those same laws. He thinks he gets to live life on another track than everyone else, where the rules don't apply to him. That shouldn't be presidential material.

Also he had the state police monitor his political enemies.

I'm not trying to defend what he did and it's hypocracy but you have to realize that the only reason it came to light is that guys like Ken Langone paid off shady republican operatives to ruin him because he was making their lives difficult on the street.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

mcmagic posted:

I'm not trying to defend what he did and it's hypocracy but you have to realize that the only reason it came to light is that guys like Ken Langone paid off shady republican operatives to ruin him because he was making their lives difficult on the street.
He made the right enemies for the right reasons, which is certainly a big point in his favor, I won't discount his good works - but they were only able to take him down because of his behavior. Not only was it a moral failing, it put his political goals in jeopardy, so it was a failing on two fronts.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mcmagic posted:

Wait really, that happened? Got a link or something?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doh004 posted:

Wait really, that happened? Got a link or something?

It's pretty much an open secret. They explored it in great depth in the doc "Client Number 9" and it's been talked about on a bunch of business blogs like this one.

http://dealbreaker.com/2008/09/did-ken-langone-set-up-eliot-spitzer/

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 20, 2012

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
Rand Paul is putting his name out there.

Bring out the blimp, America.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this news. I checked the Ron Paul forums to see if they were on board and there's the usual hand wringing over a few votes they didn't like, but there's also...

quote:

It's amazing to me....

....that some of you think Ron is just going to "leave it to chance" after 35 years of working for smaller government and more freedom. You think he is just going to crawl into a hole and die while his "demon spawn" joins the establishment. You guys honestly don't think that Ron and Rand have been planning this 2016 thing for years. You think they don't talk to each other about how Rand needs to present himself to succeed where Ron did not. You think Ron is just sitting on the sidelines while the establishment kidnaps his most influential son. Worst of all, you think that someone doing the exact same things Ron did, is going to win the White House. The truth is that someone like Ron had to lay the foundation in the party and for the country, so someone like Rand could eventually be elected.

:getin: My preferences for primaries is to maximize their entertainment value and this falls squarely in that category. Even better, whether or not he goes through with this, will be the continued Libertarian / Tea Party scolding of the establishment.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Does Herman Cain have a son that can run in 2016? Alternately, just get Herman Cain again. :getin:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

serewit posted:

Does Herman Cain have a son that can run in 2016? Alternately, just get Herman Cain again. :getin:

If not, I'm sure one will turn up by then.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
God Rand is basically the worst. He thinks he's funny, too. He joined a comedy group in college and kidnapped a girl, among other funny things they did. If you read their dispatches, they are so unfunny it will literally put you in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. It reads like it came out of a computer-generated inverse derivation of humor, a veritable black hole of levity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this news. I checked the Ron Paul forums to see if they were on board and there's the usual hand wringing over a few votes they didn't like, but there's also...

:getin: My preferences for primaries is to maximize their entertainment value and this falls squarely in that category. Even better, whether or not he goes through with this, will be the continued Libertarian / Tea Party scolding of the establishment.
I can't wait to see who will manage the campaign. Ron Paul's was truly something to be hold. Just the theme song alone. :psyduck:

Can't remember the lyrics to it, though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

I can't wait to see who will manage the campaign. Ron Paul's was truly something to be hold. Just the theme song alone. :psyduck:

Can't remember the lyrics to it, though.

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhtCgWrdpU

Cuz that song is the best. Those harmonies are tight as gently caress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

watt par posted:

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhtCgWrdpU

Cuz that song is the best. Those harmonies are tight as gently caress.

Gotta catch em all...Ron Paul! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjfa0Alz5o

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

serewit posted:

Is there a chance he might run again? His scandals torpedoed him this time, but Gingrich had scandals in the past and it didn't stop him from making a comeback. I just want Cain to run for president forever. :allears:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

agarjogger posted:

God Rand is basically the worst. He thinks he's funny, too. He joined a comedy group in college and kidnapped a girl, among other funny things they did. If you read their dispatches, they are so unfunny it will literally put you in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. It reads like it came out of a computer-generated inverse derivation of humor, a veritable black hole of levity.

Whoa! Paul dispatches? Someone had better look into those.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Whoa! Paul dispatches? Someone had better look into those.

I want to know about this kidnapping.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I eagerly await Rand "Aqua Buddah" Paul's college years to be discussed on the national stage, because that's a mine of hilarity that hasn't been tapped out yet.

Also his campaign staffer curb stomping someone protesting him during his senate race.

:allears:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Getting baited five minutes into his first non-Fox News interview into saying the Civil Rights Act was unconstitutional is up on the greatest hits list as well.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Call of Duty: Ron Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVxui2e39o

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

mcmagic posted:

That's just an ad hominem fallacy. I don't mean to be pedantic, but who and why uncovered his crime is completely irrelevant.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Oh, god please let him run in the primaries. I want to see him peddle the same libertarian bullshit as his daddy, but without the 'grandpa Paul' thing Ron had going for him. :pray:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My ideal lineup:
Clinton Biden 2016
Clinton Castro 2020
Chelsea Clinton O'Malley 2024
Clinton O'Malley 2028

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Peven Stan posted:

My ideal lineup:
Clinton Biden 2016
Clinton Castro 2020
Chelsea Clinton O'Malley 2024
Clinton O'Malley 2028
Flip this to Castro-Chelsea Clinton 2024 with Chelsea running for president in 2032 at age 52 and I'm ok with it.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
On the Democratic side, this seems kind of relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ltOEbwkqs

For those who can't watch, it details Cuomo's apparent lack of interest in helping Senate Democrats take a majority in 2012, and his subsequent okayness with a group of "Democrats" caucusing with the Republicans despite the Democrats now having a majority. I'm not saying Chris Hayes is the powerhouse of the Democratic Party, but this argument has some merit to it and (along with some other stuff, such as his relationship with fracking or the public sector unions) could create some problems for Cuomo down the line.

Cuomo's 2016 aspirations are well documented - in a non-Clinton, non-Biden situation, he's arguably the front-runner - but there's a good chance if he becomes the default frontrunner, he'll be up against some real progressive opposition. He's already getting a little testy about it.

edit: in case it's not obvious (I assumed it was), it's quite possible Cuomo doesn't want a Democratic majority because it a) helps him brandish his bipartisan credentials down the line b) works better for some of the money-people behind Cuomo c) most importantly, prevents actual progressive legislation that could be politically problematic from coming up on his desk.

Local edition: a Western New York State Senator, Republican Marc Grisanti, won in 2010 on a mixture of dumb luck and on his entrenched Democratic opponent not so much as spending the money he had fundraised for his reelection. He was then a key Republican vote for the passage of the gay marriage bill - and found himself with a more favorable, but still swingy, constituency after redistricting.

Cuomo didn't endorse his Democratic opponent, Mark Amodeo. He also didn't endorse the Republican in the race (which he did elsewhere in the state - his total endorsements for 2012 were 1 Republican, 1 Democrat, and 1 "Democrat" who might caucus with the Republicans). But Grisanti did run commercials which feature Cuomo talking up Grisanti at great lengths over his leadership from a speech earlier in the year - something which Cuomo apparently agreed to let him do. Grisanti cruised to reelection. Know some local people who were pretty pissed at how that played out.

edit: Here's the ad Grisanti used where Cuomo, y'know, isn't endorsing him or anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURPh0Fw3hQ

The Landstander fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 21, 2012

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Make the Clintons, Bushes, and Obamas hereditary rulers of the US. They roll a 6d for which clan appoints a president.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sil posted:

Make the Clintons, Bushes, and Obamas hereditary rulers of the US. They roll a 6d for which clan appoints a president.
Too bad the Kennedys all died, they'd have gotten in on this otherwise.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Sil posted:

Make it a d20 and critical fumbles result in President Paul.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
"After the 2nd 20 in a row, exhume corpses of Ronald Reagan and LBJ. Whichever one weighs more is president."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LBJ was a huge man with huge guts, the dems got that one on lockdown.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Is it supposed to look like he's alight in the flames of perdition?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

chumpchous posted:

Is it supposed to look like he's alight in the flames of perdition?

This picture owns so hard. I hope he continues to use backgrounds like that going forward. Election DAY RAWWWW ON USA!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

The Landstander posted:

On the Democratic side, this seems kind of relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ltOEbwkqs

For those who can't watch, it details Cuomo's apparent lack of interest in helping Senate Democrats take a majority in 2012, and his subsequent okayness with a group of "Democrats" caucusing with the Republicans despite the Democrats now having a majority.

He also basically forced all the public employee unions to sacrifice the unborn. Tier 5 was the shortest tier in civil service history in this State if I'm not mistaken.

He's way too New York to win outside the state anyways, but either way..I hope he gets passed over.

3rd Way tripe.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

He also basically forced all the public employee unions to sacrifice the unborn. Tier 5 was the shortest tier in civil service history in this State if I'm not mistaken.

He's way too New York to win outside the state anyways, but either way..I hope he gets passed over.

3rd Way tripe.

That 3rd Way Tripe has the Clinton democrats in a tizzy of trying to draft as many neoliberals as possible for 2016, with the king maker being Hillary herself.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Nonsense posted:

That 3rd Way Tripe has the Clinton democrats in a tizzy of trying to draft as many neoliberals as possible for 2016, with the king maker being Hillary herself.

Yeah. :(

Sorry about the low content, but...so disheartening. :(

Its strange, or maybe not...I started out younger as a pretty centrist Democrat. As I age I embrace more and more liberal ideas and track to the left.

I hate the fact that the Democrats are even willing to put a whiff of anything having to do with Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid on the table for a grand bargain. It really breaks my heart.

The republicans have repeatedly told me that all the working and working-middle class people I grew up with are spiteful loser takers..and my own party is selling those same people out.

I need a drink.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 21, 2012

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah. :(

Sorry about the low content, but...so disheartening. :(

Its strange, or maybe not...I started out younger as a pretty centrist Democrat. As I age I embrace more and more liberal ideas and track to the left.

I hate the fact that the Democrats are even willing to put a whiff of anything having to do with Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid on the table for a grand bargain. It really breaks my heart.

The republicans have repeatedly told me that all the working and working-middle class people I grew up with are spiteful loser takers..and my own party is selling those same people out.

I need a drink.

The Democrats SHOULD put Medicare on the table. If putting Medicare on the table meant telling the various healthcare industry lobbyists to suck a tire iron and then reducing the rates at which Medicare reimburses for treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

richardfun posted:

Oh, god please let him run in the primaries. I want to see him peddle the same libertarian bullshit as his daddy, but without the 'grandpa Paul' thing Ron had going for him. :pray:

Wouldn't he just be like another Paul Ryan though? They seem similar enough.

• Locked thread