Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Black 2 has been weird with shinies for me.

A Floatzel midway through the game, then a Nosepass (without sturdy just to scare me) just today... after a zillion encounters with the Shiny charm.

Speaking of, does it return in X or Y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My only shiny was a Scyther (now a Scizor) that's eternally stuck in my Silver cart.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Der Metzgermeister posted:

I still remember the time one goon (Reinanigans, maybe?) reset for ages to get a shiny Rayquaza. When they finally managed the thread was basically a party for a bit. They even got a custom avatar out of it.

I once watched a guy reset Birth Island in Emerald all day, having to redo the stupid puzzle every time, for a shiny Deoxys. I was giving him poo poo for it pretty much the whole time but then a yellow-rear end Deoxys popped out and that shut me right up.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
The model for Ferroseed has it halfway stuck in the ground. :3:

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
I got three shinies in all my years: A shiny Beautifly in diamond, a shiny lapras in soul silver, and the one I nearly had a heart attack over....a Shiny feebas in emerald.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nevileen posted:

I got three shinies in all my years: A shiny Beautifly in diamond, a shiny lapras in soul silver, and the one I nearly had a heart attack over....a Shiny feebas in emerald.

And what did you sacrifice to the RNG? Your firstborn?

Champeenship posted:

The model for Ferroseed has it halfway stuck in the ground. :3:

:3: I can't wait to see this

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Nevileen posted:

a Shiny feebas in emerald.

Jesus christ.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Jesus christ.

Can someone crunch the numbers on that?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

nutranurse posted:

I caught a red gyarados once :haw:

That was it. I've never seen another shiny.
I have a shiny Gyarados, Dratini, and Haxorus. :smug: The only actual shiny I ever had was a shiny Psyduck that's lost forever. :smith:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Solus posted:

Gonna keep soft resetting until I get a shiny Tyrunt. I have plenty of time.

I have a more realistic goal of resetting until I get a female Fennekin.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Solus posted:

Can someone crunch the numbers on that?

1/8192

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 3, 2014

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I've never seen a shiny in my life. I'm convinced that if I ever see one, I'd waste my Master Ball on it immediately.

You just know that somewhere out there, some little kid is going to get a shiny starting Pokemon on their first playthrough without even realizing it.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
The last shiny I found was a Trapinch in White 2. Impish nature.

I forgot to send it over to my Black cartridge before I started a new game in White 2.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Inspector Zenigata posted:

1/8192

edit: gently caress

Let me tell you about catching Feebass in Emerald.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Solumin posted:

And what did you sacrifice to the RNG? Your firstborn?

I got it right after our guinea pig died, so... :ohdear:

And yeah I just sorta freaked out since I knew it was obscenely rare. My thoughts went "man this is so boring if I don't get it in the next one I'm gonna give u-oh, there it iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOH MY GOD :supaburn:"

I lost that emerald cart a long time ago, but I loved that lil' girl.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Rhonne posted:

You just know that somewhere out there, some little kid is going to get a shiny starting Pokemon on their first playthrough without even realizing it.

He's gonna think the game is broken because his Froakie is the wrong color and reset.

Solus posted:

Let me tell you about catching Feebass in Emerald.

Let me tell you about how probability works

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rhonne posted:

I've never seen a shiny in my life. I'm convinced that if I ever see one, I'd waste my Master Ball on it immediately.

And he will cherish him as a new Pokefriend. Because Pokemon is awesome and you should be friends with all Pokemon, even the lovely ones.

P.S. Shiny Excadrill :getin:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

LAY-ZX posted:

Let me tell you about how probability works

Theres still a multiplier involved - However many tiles there are and however many tiles feebas appears on (in addition to the feebas encounter rate, which isn't 100% in each of its tiles) are involved in some manner, to get a precise probability. Its obscenely rare.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
The only shiny Pokemon I still have is my shiny Cresselia that I caught once in Platinum. Named it Blue Moon and it even had a decent, competitive nature! I still use it for Battle Subway/PWT stuff.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Back when I had some free time with my previous job (which happened to coincide with Black/White 2's release) I spent time sending my complete pokedex over to BW2, got the shiny charm, and then found two in a week. Nothing since then. By comparison it took me a year and a half to get a shiny in BW after screwing around with the extralink for days on end.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I remember soft resetting for a Shiny Torchic way back in the days of Ruby... It only took 5 days.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody notice how there's like no in between with mega evolution designs? Either it's loving amazing or the worst thing you've ever seen every time? That manectric by the way.....there are no loving words. Some angry little Japanese dude just wanted to go home and have a beer so he said gently caress IT scribbled all over the drat thing then punched in send as a screw you to management.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 12, 2013

TracyFentonHS
Nov 16, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Anybody notice how there's like no in between with mega evolution designs? Either it's loving amazing or the worst thing you've ever seen every time? That manectric by the way.....there are no loving words. Some angry little Japanese dude just wanted to go home and have a beer so he said gently caress IT scribbled all over the the drat thing then punched in send as a screw you to management.

I kind of like it? Its like a funky counterpart to Mega-Ampharos. Only with even more bizarre Super Saiyan 3 hair.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So apparently Amaura and Tyrunt are day/night linked evolves - Amaura only evolves at night, and Tyrunt only evolves during the day. I have no idea why the hell they did this, since I don't think any other fossils have required anything beyond a simple level evolve.

On that note, Slurpuff requires you to hold a new item called the Whipped Dream and trade it. Aromatisse is a trade evo with Sachet. I really wish they'd start condensing the stupid trade evo items down instead of having to have each one be species-specific, or else give us PC storage again so I don't have to dig through a metal coat, magmarizer, dragon scale, deepseatooth, and whipped dream when I'm looking for poo poo in the bag. :argh: And make all of them easily buyable, dammit!

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I can't recall this being mentioned, but Flash's out of battle use now seems to be cutting the encounter rate (at least in caves).

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

Theres still a multiplier involved - However many tiles there are and however many tiles feebas appears on (in addition to the feebas encounter rate, which isn't 100% in each of its tiles) are involved in some manner, to get a precise probability. Its obscenely rare.

But if you start taking into account the odds that you are actually on a tile where Pokemon X can appear and the odds of Pokemon X appearing at all of the possible Pokemon to appear on that title, the 1/8192 ratio doesn't actually apply to anything, ever.

If a single-celled organism grew a mustache, and then someone plucked a single hair from it, that would be the hair that I am currently splitting.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Midnight eastern or pacific

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

The first shiny I ran into aside from red gyarados was a shiny zubat in sapphire. I killed it. Because zubat.

But I've also found a shiny Ralts and Snorunt back in gen 4 who are now a badass Gallade and Froslass :3:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

beergod posted:

Midnight eastern or pacific

Most likely Eastern.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I think I've found 2 shinies in all of my years, one is a shiny Ursaring and the other one I can't remember. Probably a Zigzagoon or something.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TracyFentonHS posted:

I kind of like it? Its like a funky counterpart to Mega-Ampharos. Only with even more bizarre Super Saiyan 3 hair.

I'm trying to figure out how it stays upright and still can't fathom it. Sad thing is I actually like Manectric I think he looks like a pharaoh's dog or sumthin'.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
To this day, my only shinies remain a shiny Ratatta and a shiny Koffing, both caught in Heart Gold approximately one month apart from each other.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Hello yes

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I ran in to a shiny Lairon in victory road and accidentally killed it in sapphire. Then I ran in to another one in the same area and caught it. Always struck me as really bizarre, but I never questioned it

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only shiny I've ever found in the wild was a Gloom in Ruby. I got a Ditto with the Mimic/Transform trick with the Red Gyarados in RBY from which I bred a Charmander, and I chained a fair few in Diamond though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

40 minutes!

gently caress

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Stalgren posted:

Hello yes

This exactly, how in the gently caress does it move?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

40 minutes!

gently caress

This is a long rear end wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Flopsy posted:

This exactly, how in the gently caress does it move?

Put roller skates on it and push?

• Locked thread