Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seventh coat. Three residents of my complex stopped to watch what I was doing and all of them had nice things to say. It's looking really good. I have enough mixed paint to do at least one more full coat, hopefully tomorrow night after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Looks great.

Paint is definitely all about the time you put into it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea that looks like its gonna sand up nice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I'm really impressed. Makes me hopeful that I could do it too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aaaaaand that's eight.

Coverage is fantastic. Somehow got a bunch of hairs in the last roller so I was wiping and re-rolling quite a bit of this coat. Not too many places in need of major touchup that I can see right now. I know I have some overspray from the primer on the windshield and a few spots where it bled a bit. Gonna peel the tape and paper off tomorrow night, air up the tires a bit (she's been sitting for a while) and clear out of the garage.

Edit: One thing, I do wish I had removed the lights, mirrors and pried off that door trim. Things I have learned if I ever do this again.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This actually turned out really good. (at least from what ever your using camera wise)

I was going to go all pro with the JJJJAAAAGGG but now i am thinking about just doing a rustoleom with some sanding. God forbid it turns out awful I will just dip the fucker. I still want to do my homage to the dukes of hazard car, except do this in british racing green and get a union jack in vinyl on the doors, still trying to figure out what to name it.

The Admiral Nelson? General

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This actually turned out really good. (at least from what ever your using camera wise)

I was going to go all pro with the JJJJAAAAGGG but now i am thinking about just doing a rustoleom with some sanding. God forbid it turns out awful I will just dip the fucker. I still want to do my homage to the dukes of hazard car, except do this in british racing green and get a union jack in vinyl on the doors, still trying to figure out what to name it.

Admiral Nelson?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Aaaaaand that's eight.

Coverage is fantastic. Somehow got a bunch of hairs in the last roller so I was wiping and re-rolling quite a bit of this coat. Not too many places in need of major touchup that I can see right now. I know I have some overspray from the primer on the windshield and a few spots where it bled a bit. Gonna peel the tape and paper off tomorrow night, air up the tires a bit (she's been sitting for a while) and clear out of the garage.

Edit: One thing, I do wish I had removed the lights, mirrors and pried off that door trim. Things I have learned if I ever do this again.

Dude that looks loving amazing. Can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dude that looks loving amazing. Can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

I'm about two hours from getting it into the sun and I'm super loving giddy right now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How bad is the orange peel? Those roll on jobs sound like a nightmare to sand for days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

How bad is the orange peel? Those roll on jobs sound like a nightmare to sand for days.

It's not horrible. The bad part is now that the tape is peeled I have some bad bleed spots on the window rubbers and a very thing strip where I over-taped and green is still visible. The unused fog light alcoves didn't get primed well enough either so they don't look great. That said, for my first time this looks pretty great so far. I could probably get $1800 out of the car without cleaning it up or sanding it.

It's so goddamn shiny!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, I think that looks great. I'd be overjoyed if I could get that result.

I wonder if there's a rubber-safe paint stripper, anything without toluene or xylene. Mineral spirits?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, I think that looks great. I'd be overjoyed if I could get that result.

I wonder if there's a rubber-safe paint stripper, anything without toluene or xylene. Mineral spirits?

I got all the overspray (tape failed in a few spots) off the glass with acetone. I'm gonna try some acetone and fine sandpaper on the rubbers in a day or two. I will try and do the exterior touch up tomorrow with a foam brush as that will probably need a few coats. I bought a spray can of the same paint and I want to do the door jams and edges under the trunk and hood just for a cleaner look. Probably after I sand though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Acetone isn't really the best thing to use on rubbers/plastics. It corrodes them.

Paint job looks great though, waiting to see the results of sanding / polishing!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That doesn't even look like the same car anymore. Nicely done.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That car looks amazing if you would either paint the rims all one color or just paint the back rims another color. Also pop those center caps out already!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

That car looks amazing if you would either paint the rims all one color or just paint the back rims another color. Also pop those center caps out already!!

I haven't had time to work on the wheels! The various colors are from em experimenting last fall. I'm going to buy a set of not gaudy caps and paint them white to match.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Acetone isn't really the best thing to use on rubbers/plastics. It corrodes them.

Paint job looks great though, waiting to see the results of sanding / polishing!

Well with the car out of the garage I'm confident I can get the whole place prepped for the move in a day. So that's tomorrow. I'm going to leave some basic tools and a broom and as soon as we move it's sanding city in there.

some texas redneck posted:

That doesn't even look like the same car anymore. Nicely done.

Thanks buddy.

It's still doing the bouncing idle at startup but once it warms up it settles at about 800rpm and purs. The exhaust is so loud I can't even hear the VTEC. And we found a ton of Febreeze at Ollie's for $1 a bottle so I'll hit the entire interior this weekend. Really the only thing I have to sort out is the stereo. It's hacked into the harness badly and only one speaker works. I need to figure that out before I get rid of the car I think. I do have the original HU so hopefully I can get that back in there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's an awesome paint job. How much are you in it for now?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Air Sponges (they sell them at Walmart) are some of the best options for interior defunkenating I've used.

Leave a few of them in the interior, let the car bake in direct sunlight during hot days, and swap out the sponges when they begin to shrink inside their cases until the scene is gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That's an awesome paint job. How much are you in it for now?

Uh, like $1550? I stopped updating the spreadsheet in October but the only things I've bought are primer, paint and supplies. I found a possibly crappy sander in my rubbermaid bin of inherited tools, I'll post that later to see if it would be usable. Really the last thing I'd need to buy is a polisher but I wouldn't count that as a Civic expense because I need to do the Miata as well.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

It's looking really good, but hurry up and sort those wheels!

Tools bought to do a specific car job should never count towards the car spend total..

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I haven't seen a civic look that clean since the 90s

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
You did an awesome job dude. I'd buy that from ya if I had the money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

It's looking really good, but hurry up and sort those wheels!

Tools bought to do a specific car job should never count towards the car spend total..

I'm browsing Ebay for a set of caps for $20 or so! Don't rush me!

Let's play "Which caps are the least terrible?"

All of these run under $22 shipped. Most are terrible, cast your votes!

Edit: I also need to sort out mounting the door trim on the passenger side as the new door never had any. Gonna have to get creative.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Put baby moon hubcaps or dog dishes on it, you peasant.

Full moon hubcaps are terrible though, so don't go that far.

edit: uuugh why are baby moon hubcaps not some universally available thing? There go my plans for cruise night with the Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going to paint the wheels black and then whatever caps I buy white to match the car.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
All you need now are the type R honda H badges

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The last ones are best. They just look like regular, normal hubcaps, which is about the best you can hope for.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

revmoo posted:

The last ones are best. They just look like regular, normal hubcaps, which is about the best you can hope for.

This. If it had those hubcaps, I would call it an honest car. Nothing fancy, not pretending to be anything else, just a reasonable car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, I had pretty much made up my mind on those.They're the closest to the real Honda caps anyways.

Edit: Also my timing on finishing the paint was excellent, we get our keys to the new place today! I need to get my rear end out to the garage and get it torn down and ready to move.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The whole reason I had to accelerate my painting timetable

My new street.

Our unit. Ignore the site manager's truck.

Kitchen

A loving coat closet.

A goddamned walk-in pantry.

Front bedroom

Door to laundry/huge bathroom from the front bedroom

Laundry nook where full size washer/dryer will sit (being delivered April 5th)

My giant-rear end bathroom

Kitchen view 2 (it's huge)

The den. This is where my bookcases and desk will be

Master bedroom. Looks small, but for a reason, has an enormous walk-in closet/wardrobe. Room for two dressers, tons of shelves. Forgot to take picture.

Master bath.

View from the den

Vaulted ceiling in living room

All this and a two-car attached garage. The company was just awarded some energy efficiancy compliance thing for how great their insulation processes are and how much it saves residents on gas and power costs.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo dude, that looks awesome (minus the neighbors being close enough to spit on, but that's just me). Congratulations!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo dude, that looks awesome (minus the neighbors being close enough to spit on, but that's just me). Congratulations!

Well actually we're the end unit and the next unit will be the office/model home. No neighbors!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Well actually we're the end unit and the next unit will be the office/model home. No neighbors!

Oh, well in that case gently caress yeah!

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Rattle can your steelies white then put black hubcaps on top, looked sorta legit on my friend's old AX.

Also, sweet house!

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cached Money posted:

Rattle can your steelies white then put black hubcaps on top, looked sorta legit on my friend's old AX.

Also, sweet house!

I was gonna go the opposite, I like white wheels on white cars. Hell I just like white wheels in general.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo dude. Nice set up!

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Not to knock home-ownership, which is good regardless, but pictures like this let me know that America is a hosed up place:

Like a loving ant colony. I would become so depressed.

Looks comfy inside though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Some of the Sheep posted:

Not to knock home-ownership, which is good regardless, but pictures like this let me know that America is a hosed up place:

Like a loving ant colony. I would become so depressed.

Looks comfy inside though.

It's not a normal neighborhood, these are condo styled apartments.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Civic is awesome, the home upgrade is awesome, the thread is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why don't you just paint the wheels stock silver? The more stock it looks the more money you'll get for it. Those lovely hub caps will make the car look cheesy imo.

• Locked thread