Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Tiles bug found: if you're a felid with horns, and enter statue form, the horns graphic on your tile changes from felid-appropriate horns to humanoid-appropriate horns. So, it looks like you have a quotation mark floating over your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I read these achievement-sounding things recently, and I've never heard of them before. Where do I see them?

Here!

I'm being a complete moron and trying to get Avarice III right now, even though I really should just get another win instead.

Edit: I lived up to the team name, but I got the banner first!

code:
72575 | Dis:7    | Noticed Dispater
 72583 | Dis:7    | Banished Dispater
 72609 | Dis:7    | Got an iron rune of Zot
 72999 | Depths:2 | Killed from afar by a deep elf death mage

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 21, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ferrinus posted:

Tiles bug found: if you're a felid with horns, and enter statue form, the horns graphic on your tile changes from felid-appropriate horns to humanoid-appropriate horns. So, it looks like you have a quotation mark floating over your back.

And megane just fixed it. So fast...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Bribe branch :allears:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Floodkiller posted:

Here!

I'm being a complete moron and trying to get Avarice III right now, even though I really should just get another win instead.

Edit: I lived up to the team name, but I got the banner first!

code:
72575 | Dis:7    | Noticed Dispater
 72583 | Dis:7    | Banished Dispater
 72609 | Dis:7    | Got an iron rune of Zot
 72999 | Depths:2 | Killed from afar by a deep elf death mage

Thanks for the info! Those are some interesting challenges, maybe I'll try them next time around.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Thanks for the info! Those are some interesting challenges, maybe I'll try them next time around.

They are a load of fun to aim for! I'm pretty happy with managing to get Speed Demon III and Conqueror III this tournament (I got it last tournament, but that was double damage, so it didn't really count).

I actually wish that you could earn the banners all year long, because I would love to fill up my profile with banners instead of playing seriously. I haven't really found the inspiration to play outside of tournaments since I won with all the species otherwise.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, I kind of wish there were fun little meaningless Crawl Achievements to collect. There would obviously be a "win as" achievement for each species and background, and you could have one for mastering each skill, one for collecting each rune for the first time, one for reaching max piety with each god, etc. Then you'd get into esoteric stuff like "cause an enemy to kill itself with its own spell" and "have all four level 9 elemental spells memorized and below 10% failure at the same time" and even more off-the-wall stuff.

Even better if you can give them silly, humorous names. "Kaiju Battle: defeat the Serpent of Hell while in Dragonform." "Welp: leave the Abyss with so many negative mutations that you cannot gain any more." That kind of thing.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Finished as a FeCj^Sif, but I kinda just shoehorned myself into a blaster mage after finding this: ring of Seroco Zeor {Fire MP+9 Str-4 Int+10 Dex-4}

I know how to be slippery with Felids but I dislike how "slow" they feel compared to melee and even other mage starts; I think focusing on melee more would improve that maybe. On the other hand accumulating 2 lives gives you an unprecedented amount of safety and it lets you make a lot of high risk/high reward decisions throughout the game.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to get sort_menus = true working. I've applied it to a running game, restarted the game and is it supposed to sort my inv and keep doing it going forward? Is that how it works?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Clocked in my obligatory 15 rune tournament win.

code:
12801554 Haifisch the Talismancer (level 27, 197/320 (323) HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Wanderer on Nov 20, 2015.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 22, 2015!

The game lasted 12:39:31 (126036 turns).
Gozag is nuts. I didn't even have to use any potion petitions until hells. It helps that I had powered by pain(so I got all the agility and might I could want just by existing), but still.

But more importantly: Bribe. I have no loving clue how it's supposed to work. The ability text suggests that bribed allies stay that way forever, and bribed peaceful monsters go neutral when the bribe runs out. My game experience is that both types of bribes run out & cause the allied/peaceful monster to go hostile, and the bribe can run out before the bribe pool does. It's still a really powerful ability, but it'd be nice to have some way to predict how long a bribe is good for.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Finally ascended a SpEn. It took way too many tries to ascend such an easy combo. First attempt in Zot got killed by some bad teleports, which I could have avoided by drinking some resistance and haste. The ascetic attempt died when I didn't realize thunder clouds could one-shot me. Finally, after murdering 6 orbs of fire with decks and boxes of beasts, I won!
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-27-g4a3f43e (webtiles) character file.

1669484 wormsofcant the Hand of Fortune (level 26, 115/147 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Enchanter on Nov 21, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Nemelex Xobeh.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 22, 2015!

The game lasted 09:04:16 (126586 turns).
Edit: Wow, that is rude.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 22, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A bunch of changes just hit thanks to the tournament ending. Here's some interesting ones (to me, anyway):

Mark the Elf:3 vault enemies as patrolling. This will make it much harder to scroll of noise/shout out the entire Elf vault, so I guess there goes the easy way of doing that.

Remove Chant Fire Storm; rework Chant Word of Entropy to Entropic Weave. Entropy Weavers are now corrosion smiters (but only one stack at a time). Stormcallers now just have Fire Storm, but need to charge it up ala orb spiders (which means breaking LoS doesn't reset the counter for them to Fire Storm).

Mnoleg gains chaos spells and Gloorx Vloq can cast LRD and Summon Executioners now. This might make the other unique Pan Lords a bit scarier now.

Spark wasps. Because obviously we needed to combine shock serpentsraiju and killer bees.

Removed trivially interesting fun thing.

Don't block Finesse under stasis. Formicids of Okawaru unite!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crawl_updates.txt

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

crawl_updates.txt

I agree with them though. When I get around to playing shouldn't change how it plays. (Putting pumpkin heads on things is, of course, always OK.)

apple
May 18, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

Mark the Elf:3 vault enemies as patrolling. This will make it much harder to scroll of noise/shout out the entire Elf vault, so I guess there goes the easy way of doing that.

Wouldn't this just make it so you end up fighting less enemies at a time? I'm not sure how patrolling works.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya that makes stealth sound a bit better for it if you can pull a couple and have the latecomers wander back home.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

Wouldn't this just make it so you end up fighting less enemies at a time? I'm not sure how patrolling works.

It's more about hurting the murderhole strategy, since you're only going to be able to keep the attention of the guys right next to the vault entrance, instead of being able to kite any of the elves back to the safety of your one square of LoS battle arena. It's definitely a benefit to those who are actually willing to fight inside the vault though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
:pwn: Wait, what gameplay effects are these?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Mnoleg gains chaos spells and Gloorx Vloq can cast LRD and Summon Executioners now. This might make the other unique Pan Lords a bit scarier now.

I'm glad Mnoleg got some power. The other three unique pan lords all have the potential to be really nasty but Mnoleg was just kinda pathetic with a tiny chance to paralyse you via eyeball summon before you killed him. Being able to spit chaos effects makes him actually scary for more people.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

:pwn:
Wait, what gameplay effects are these?

It can load more than one player ghost file per level on Halloween IIRC.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 23, 2015

apple
May 18, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

It's more about hurting the murderhole strategy, since you're only going to be able to keep the attention of the guys right next to the vault entrance, instead of being able to kite any of the elves back to the safety of your one square of LoS battle arena. It's definitely a benefit to those who are actually willing to fight inside the vault though.

I can't remember the last time I could do a simple murderhole anyway because there's so many layouts where there's no rock walls nearby. I guess this also affects using the Elf:3 vault choke points near their entrance, but I'm more interested in trying mages with that change if it means less enemies chasing me whenever I'm blowing things up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Breathe of chaos on Mnoleg sounds horrifying. Pools of chaos are potential game enders if the RNG just decides to gently caress you over. Of course up until now they've been limited to apocalypse crabs and Xom. Now Mnoleg might decide she wants to do nothing but spam chaos breath and flood her entire arena with it, essentially making fighting her a massive gamble. Ugh.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Forgot to point out that Corrosive Smite has an MR attached to it, since it is now a Hex (with a power cap of 200), so you can resist it (3/5 chance or better to avoid at 3 pips, without taking into account the variance of MR checks).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Forgot to point out that Corrosive Smite has an MR attached to it, since it is now a Hex (with a power cap of 200), so you can resist it (3/5 chance or better to avoid at 3 pips, without taking into account the variance of MR checks).
Awesome, I have even less reason to use rCorr. Good change.

Internet Kraken posted:

Breathe of chaos on Mnoleg sounds horrifying. Pools of chaos are potential game enders if the RNG just decides to gently caress you over. Of course up until now they've been limited to apocalypse crabs and Xom. Now Mnoleg might decide she wants to do nothing but spam chaos breath and flood her entire arena with it, essentially making fighting her a massive gamble. Ugh.

This is a fair point, because chaos clouds can kill anything, but Mnoleg really is a pathetic fight right now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cleanup some obscure MR beam code

code:

Malmutate, Corrupt Body, and Sap Magic are resistable for monsters
but not for players; this seems to be the result of dubious code
rather than something intentional. Remove this behavior.
Speaking of MR checks, if I'm reading this right, it means that Malmutate is now properly a 200 spellpower hex that can be resisted (instead just going straight to a rMut check) :stare:. Wanna clarify, PF?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Darox posted:

This is a fair point, because chaos clouds can kill anything, but Mnoleg really is a pathetic fight right now.

Do chained zigs break item rules now or something?

edit
code:
a - 455 javelins of penetration (quivered) {This is NOT a legitimate run}

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How do you restore stats now that the potion has been removed?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Gain xp, and same for draining.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Why would making tomb more tedious be a design goal.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

uPen posted:

How do you restore stats now that the potion has been removed?

resistentialism posted:

Gain xp, and same for draining.

Giving Zin all your money and converting to Elyvilon for Restoration (if you had enough money) is basically the only way to recover from getting stat-drained below zero if you don't have artifacts/jewelry to get you out of the debilitating debuff long enough to gain that XP though.

:argh: quasits!

Edit: that is one thing to miss about Nethack at least. As long as your god isn't mad at you, they get you out of "you are completely hosed, just give up" conditions.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 23, 2015

apple
May 18, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

code:

Malmutate, Corrupt Body, and Sap Magic are resistable for monsters
but not for players; this seems to be the result of dubious code
rather than something intentional. Remove this behavior.
Speaking of MR checks, if I'm reading this right, it means that Malmutate is now properly a 200 spellpower hex that can be resisted (instead just going straight to a rMut check) :stare:. Wanna clarify, PF?

Taking a quick look at the code, it seems like Malmutate goes through an MR check yeah, but I can't tell what spellpower is assigned to Malmutate :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

Taking a quick look at the code, it seems like Malmutate goes through an MR check yeah, but I can't tell what spellpower is assigned to Malmutate :v:

I Ctrl+F'd through spl-data.h

apple
May 18, 2003

I could be wrong, but the struct entry for malmutate has 200 for its power cap, but that suggests that it's the max spell power, not the actual spell power assigned to malmutate? Plus, different monsters have different spell powers on their skills, it'd make no sense to have every monster cast LCS at 200 spell power, for example.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

I could be wrong, but the struct entry for malmutate has 200 for its power cap, but that suggests that it's the max spell power, not the actual spell power assigned to malmutate? Plus, different monsters have different spell powers on their skills, it'd make no sense to have every monster cast LCS at 200 spell power, for example.

Yeah, I misread, it's definitely power cap :downs:

I think it's usually HD that defines monster spellpower, but I'm not sure how that will work with stuff like neqoxec (6) or shining eye (10) without giving it a spellpower boost behind the scenes to keep them relevant against 3+ pip players.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

uPen posted:

Why would making tomb more tedious be a design goal.

I've found it a lot less tedious. Use ring of sustat if you have a dangerously low stat, but you gain a lot of xp in tomb so it doesn't get out of hand.

Also rather than Zin -> Ely you can just do Zin -> Zin and use Vit/Recite to crush them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rchandra posted:

I've found it a lot less tedious. Use ring of sustat if you have a dangerously low stat, but you gain a lot of xp in tomb so it doesn't get out of hand.

Also rather than Zin -> Ely you can just do Zin -> Zin and use Vit/Recite to crush them.

I was down to -3 str so just pulling through wasn't an option. Ditched veh for zin-ely-storm dude and now I'm running hells. Not cursing all my gear was nice but not being able to restore my stats basically meant doing what I did or stopping to go run abyss to get easy exp.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

You misread it. The effects for players are unchanged.

(to clarify: BEAM_MALMUTATE now returns false for has_saving_throw(), which means that neither players nor monsters roll MR to try to beat it. Previously, it returned true for has_saving_throw() [monsters could resist it with MR], but players were special-cased to not be able to resist it.)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am happy to report that GOZAG/TRUMP 2016: MAKE CRAWL GREAT AGAIN won the tournament with a ranking of #50th place. There is of course a hidden +50 ranks bonus for being rich.

I'd like to thank all of our clan players for their contribution and eagerly await the reversion of every unfun update since 0.10.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

You misread it. The effects for players are unchanged.

(to clarify: BEAM_MALMUTATE now returns false for has_saving_throw(), which means that neither players nor monsters roll MR to try to beat it. Previously, it returned true for has_saving_throw() (monsters could resist it with MR), but players were special-cased to not be able to resist it.)

Thanks, I knew it was too good to be true :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Floodkiller posted:

I see that "remove strategies for things" is a continuing design goal. It'd be less annoying if there wasn't a history of removing stuff that was nice but not gamebreaking(*tele in abyss, all of the alternative TRJ strategies).

I'm not even sure how this 'fixes' anything, since you'd just have to kite stuff back more slowly now(to keep them in LOS/"actively chasing" you). Or am I completely misunderstanding how patrolling works?

• Locked thread