Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I think the only card I absolutely cannot do without is Skewer -- I may need that movement to reposition across the room if the boss keeps jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Bullwinkle has lost Provoking Roar in the Short Rest! I'll record this at the start of the next update.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Great. Aside from the super low initiative, that's probably the best card for me to lose here. I'll be moving and attacking then, probably relatively early just in case the boss decides to jump again.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, orders in. Moving to the suggested location very early in the round and hitting the boss lightly. I don't want to risk a big attack when I'm muddled with two curses still in the deck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

OK, orders in. Moving to the suggested location very early in the round and hitting the boss lightly. I don't want to risk a big attack when I'm muddled with two curses still in the deck.

I'm going to try to go after you and either stab the boss twice or stab him once and then FORCE YOU to attack him bigly. :ese:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Barrow Lair, Round 5A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- Bullwinkle executes a Short Rest! Recovers all discarded cards, loses Provoking Roar!
- Backup Ammunition triggers on every ranged attack once active, so it has triggered on Rocky's last attack as well, even if there was no extra Target. As a consolation prize, Rocky gains 1XP.

ROUND REVEAL

:skeltal:
That skeleton means business! If possible it will try to attack all three players for 3 base damage, and it has the movement to get around EDIT: Summons and Spawns are different! Summons never get to act in the turn they are summoned, so this skellie is just going to hang around, looking spooky. It does come with an innate SHIELD1 - abilities on the stat card are always active.
Please let me know which hex you would like the Elite Living Bones to be summoned in, since multiple valid hexes exist!

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Bullwinkle (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 15 with Shield Bash and Overwhelming Assault.

15. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

code:
"SHIELD BASH (15) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK4 - STUN - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: Round bonus Shield1, Self"

"OVERWHELMING ASSAULT (61) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK6 - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE3 - PUSH2 (Target one adjacent enemy)"
Master Splinter (Hand4, Discarded5, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 51 with Possession and Fearsome Blade.

51. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"POSSESSION (51) [LvlX]
TOP: One adjacent ally may perform ATK6 - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: One ally withing Range3 may perform MOVE4"

"FEARSOME BLADE (27) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2 - PUSH3 - XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - ATK2 - XP2 - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand5, Discarded4, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 87 with Massive Boulder and Crushing Grasp.

87. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

code:
"MASSIVE BOULDER (87) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - All allies and enemies adjacent to the target suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH.
BOT: Move4"

"CRUSHING GRASP (35) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate EARTH
BOT: LOOT1"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email! DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:

EDIT: also please let me know which hex you would like the Elite Living Bones to be summoned in, since multiple valid hexes exist!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 14, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Just for reference, the elite skeleton is summoned by the boss, which means it does not get a turn this round. Summoned enemies do not act on the turn they are summoned; spawned enemies do (unless they are spawned as an end of turn condition).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

Just for reference, the elite skeleton is summoned by the boss, which means it does not get a turn this round. Summoned enemies do not act on the turn they are summoned; spawned enemies do (unless they are spawned as an end of turn condition).

Oh wow, would you look at that, I had no idea there was such a difference :thatsgloomhaven: I've made it so much more difficult for me and my party all along, treating all the summons like spawns instead.

Due to limitation to Gloomhaven Helper, once the program is closed there is no way for me to undo the action - and no way for me to add the skellie to the tracker without the program automatically drawing an ability card for it, so we may have to ignore that card and draw a new one next round :/ Alternatively, I'll have to do some creative image editing to hide the "next round" card, since Living Bones 3 is basically living in the future, now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yep. The other difference between summoned and spawned, for our home viewers, is that summoned enemies require an empty space (nothing in it at all except an actual empty tile or an open door, pressure plate, or corridor overlay) adjacent to the summoner and will fail if there aren't any (in this case there are plenty of options), while spawned enemies just require an unoccupied space (no standees or minis in the tile) nearest to wherever their spawn point is and will keep looking until they find a qualifying space.

Game is complicated.

As for where to spawn the skeleton, since it's just "summon an elite living bones" and not "summon an elite living bones into the nearest empty space to a character" or anything, I vote we stick it back into the zombie chamber in B2, since that will obstruct the zombie's movement.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Don't worry, that's just a thing that happens sometimes with Gloomhaven Helper.

Edit: I vote that the skeleton gets summoned at B2. Bullwinkle and I can gang beat the boss and Rocky can chuck a boulder at him.

I'm moving to B6 and stabbing the boss twice. Once with the bottom of Fearsome Blade and again with the top of Possession but it will just be a basic attack. I don't want to burn 2 loss cards in 1 turn, especially with all the trash we have to clean up after the boss is down.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 14, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If we summon it in C7 I won't be able to attack the boss. Admittedly I'm just using a default attack (not gonna burn the top of Shield Bash on a boss which can't be stunned, especially when I'm muddled with curses as previously mentioned), but I'm even less likely to hurt the living bones with that.

EDIT: Also, if the two of us stand in B6 and C7, the enemies in that room will actually not activate as long as the boss doesn't jump, since they won't have a path to a hex they can attack from.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I edited my post. B2 is fine for the skeleton.

Let's punch and stab and throw rocks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds like a plan, then. Rocky will be able to toss a second rock to start chipping away at the zombles, too.

I'll be moving to C7 (not pushing the boss) and using a default attack. Next turn I'll be able to hit the boss fairly hard regardless of what he does.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zurai posted:

Yep. The other difference between summoned and spawned, for our home viewers, is that summoned enemies require an empty space (nothing in it at all except an actual empty tile or an open door, pressure plate, or corridor overlay) adjacent to the summoner and will fail if there aren't any (in this case there are plenty of options), while spawned enemies just require an unoccupied space (no standees or minis in the tile) nearest to wherever their spawn point is and will keep looking until they find a qualifying space.

Game is complicated.

As for where to spawn the skeleton, since it's just "summon an elite living bones" and not "summon an elite living bones into the nearest empty space to a character" or anything, I vote we stick it back into the zombie chamber in B2, since that will obstruct the zombie's movement.

Two errors in these corrections:
1. Spawns require an empty hex, not just an unoccupied one: "Whenever a monster is spawned, it is set up on the map at its spawning location or the nearest empty hex to that location." (Pg 34) Spawns just keep looking for an empty hex until they find one, while summons need a hex adjacent to the summoner and fail if they can't find one.

2. Monster summons must be placed close to the player characters. "Summoned monsters are placed in an empty hex adjacent to the summoning monster and also as close to the enemy as possible." (Pg 31)

The Gloomhaven rules are pretty good but rely on you paying very close attention to specialized language. "Empty" doesn't look as important in those two quotations as it actually is, for instance.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Man, this game is complicated. I don't know if anyone outside of the actual game creator plays it 100% correctly.

Thanks for the corrections. Unfortunately, that seems to put a real damper on our turn as the skeleton will be forced to appear in hexes B6 or C7 as they are the closest hexes to a player. With hex C7, I'll be able to punt it back into the zombie room to B2 where we wanted it to spawn anyway, but I won't be able to follow that up with an attack on the boss (and won't have two chances to remove curses from my deck, which I was actually looking forward to). So, I vote for C7.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 14, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Man, this game is complicated. I don't know if anyone outside of the actual game creator plays it 100% correctly.

Thanks for the corrections. Unfortunately, that seems to put a real damper on our turn as the skeleton will be forced to appear in hexes B6 or C7 as they are the closest hexes to a player. With hex C7, I'll be able to punt it back into the zombie room to B2 where we wanted it to spawn anyway, but I won't be able to follow that up with an attack on the boss (and won't have two chances to remove curses from my deck, which I was actually looking forward to). So, I vote for C7.

Actually, if we chose B6, you could still move next to the boss and then push the skeleton into the trap near Rocky (D4), right? Then punch the boss and since I go after you my plan won't change.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Actually, if we chose B6, you could still move next to the boss and then push the skeleton into the trap near Rocky, right? Then punch the boss and since I go after you my plan won't change.

Oooh, actually, you're right. I didn't see that line. That's a perfect play actually. Master Splinter dishing out both the pain and the wisdom!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Oooh, actually, you're right. I didn't see that line. That's a perfect play actually. Master Splinter dishing out both the pain and the wisdom!

Haha I play this game a LOT.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

The good thing about it is that it's still easy to get fun out of it even when horribly mauling the rules :gibs:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha I play this game a LOT.

I don't get to play it as often as I'd like. We have a semi-regular Friday board game night but we don't manage to meet every week and if more than 5 people attend we can't play Gloomhaven (we're bad/drunk enough overall that even with 5 people we still lose some scenarios, but we've found 6 just makes it unplayable). Still beats my tabletop RPG group though (mostly the same people) which hasn't met in 2 months and is looking to make it a 3rd...

That Italian Guy posted:

The good thing about it is that it's still easy to get fun out of it even when horribly mauling the rules :gibs:

Oh, absolutely. If it's an option the only thing we play at board game night is Gloomhaven. Everybody loves it. It helps that it's a challenging game, but you still get a lot of character advancement out of a loss.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Yeah, I think punting the skeleton to the trap is probably for the best. My rocks cause splash damage this turn so I think I'll target the zombie mobs this turn.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

archduke.iago posted:

Yeah, I think punting the skeleton to the trap is probably for the best. My rocks cause splash damage this turn so I think I'll target the zombie mobs this turn.

I'd actually prefer if you would help us maul the boss. I'm fine with taking splash damage and the sooner he goes down the less summoned skeletons we'll have to deal with afterwards.

Feel free to ignore me though. I don't want to quarterback too much :/

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm getting pretty low on HP. I can take the splash this turn but I'm going to need some serious healing before I can tank the zombles or risk getting triple-hit by the elite skeleton.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

I'm getting pretty low on HP. I can take the splash this turn but I'm going to need some serious healing before I can tank the zombles or risk getting triple-hit by the elite skeleton.

If you'd prefer to avoid splash damage I definitely understand. I don't have anything that can heal you.

I'm cool with Rocky softening up other targets then.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A point of damage here would put me at 3, which even with my Warding Strength up (which is half gone now) is not enough to take a base damage hit from the elite zombie, or a +1 or better hit from a normal zombie. It's about 50-50 if I could survive a triple attack from the skeleton.

To be fair though, I'm at 4 now. One of the reasons I wanted to long rest is to get that little bit of healing. Rocky doesn't have any healing til he rests, either, so it's going to be a bit of a long haul and I'm probably going to have to just accept that I'm going to start losing cards to damage soon. As you said, getting damage in on the boss is important because he's going to either keep running away or keep spawning new skeletons until we kill him, and those are both bad.

I'll leave it up to Rocky where to throw his rocks. Getting damage in on the zomble horde is fine, we need to kill them to win and as long as none of them die before the next room is opened it's a good thing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Orders in. Let's do this thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't wait for everyone to draw Curses and get hit by splash damage. :allears:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I can't wait for everyone to draw Curses and get hit by splash damage. :allears:

I would fuckin' LOVE to draw my two remaining curses. Please don't throw me into that thar briar patch!

EDIT: Orders in. I'm going with Master Splinter's plan for this turn and setting up for a huge damage turn next turn.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 15, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Barrow Lair, Round 5B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

None!

11. Bandit Commander (BOSS) posted:

Bandit Commander (BOSS) focuses Rocky!
Summons Living Corpse 3(E) in hex B6(2)!

Monster Summons are placed in an empty hex adjacent to whoever summoned them and also as close to an enemy as possible; they do not act on the turn they are placed and do not leave coin tokens when they die. There are two valid hexes for this Summon: B6(2) and C7(2). Our players have decided to place the Summon on the former to better further their plans.

15. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

Bullwinkle uses Overwhelming Assault (bot)! Moves 3 to E3(2). PUSHES Living Bones 3(E) to E3(2) through C5(2), D4(2)!
Trap triggered in D4(2)! Living Bones 3(E) suffers 3 damage!
Living Bones 3(E) is at 3HP.
Bullwinkle uses Shield Bash (top as a basic ATK2)! Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) with DISADVANTAGE for 1 (2base, -1/+1mod) damage!
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 20 HP
Bullwinkle loses MUDDLED.
Bullwinkle uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Overwhelming Assault and Shield Bash.

When executing a PUSH, the target has to be pushed for the full amount (three hexes, in this case) and each hex moved has to get the pushed target 1 hex farther away from the character executing the PUSH.
Gloomhaven Trivia Time! Would hex F4(2) be a valid hex for the push?
Answer: NO. PUSH distance is counted the same way as Range is; it's simply proximity distance, so F4(2) would be at distance 2 instead of 3. If the southern sarcophagus was a wall instead, F4(2) would have been a valid hex to end the PUSH into, instead. See Isaac's clarification here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1754494/pushing-further-away

51. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

Master Splinter uses Fearsome Blade (bot)! Moves 3 to B6(2). Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 3 (2base, -1mod +2bonus) damage! Gains 2XP. LOSS card!
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 17 HP
Master Splinter uses Possession (top as a basic ATK2)! Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 3 (2base, -1mod +2bonus)
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 14 HP

Even when drawing two negative attack modifiers, Master Splinter's Mind Weakness +2 bonus allows her to stab hard and fast. :ese:

66. Living Corpse 6(E), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 posted:

Living Corpse 6(E) focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to door B hex. Loses MUDDLED.
Living Corpse 1 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to K5(2).
Living Corpse 2 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to door A hex.
Living Corpse 3 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to B2(c)
Living Corpse 4 focuses Rocky! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!
Living Corpse 5 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to A2(b).

The zombies are out! J4(2) and K5(2) were both valid locations for n.1; I've decided for K5(2) since it is more likely to create a traffic jam, but please let me know if you would like to have it moved to J4(2) instead!

87. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

Rocky uses Massive Boulder (top)! Attacks Living Corpse 1 for 2 (3base, -1mod) damage! Living Corpse 2 suffers 1 damage!
Living Corpse 1 is at 4 HP.
Living Corpse 2 is at 5 HP.
Generates EARTH!
Backup Ammunition's 3rd trigger! Gains 1XP.
Attacks Living Corpse 6(E) for 4 (3base, +1mod) damage! Living Corpse 5 suffers 1 damage!
Living Corpse 6(E) is at 5 HP.
Living Corpse 5 is at 6 HP.
Rocky uses Crushing Grasp (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 2 to C5(2).
Rocky executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token.

Backup Ammunition and Massive Boulder together are a very powerful combination, especially if you manage to double dip on the splash, even more so when targeting a big clump of monsters and double dipping with the splash damage, like it has happened during Scenario 1. Rocky has 1 more trigger available before losing the card.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

EARTH is waning.

EDIT: Overwhelming Assault is a MOVE3, PUSH2 card, not MOVE3, PUSH3! The position for the Elite Living Bones has been corrected to D4(2) - where the trap used to be.
A good round for our party, but anything can still happen, especially if the Boss decides to stop prancing around and starts punching people with the help of the Elite Living Bones.

Active players please provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 17, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm just going to (attempt to) hit the boss really hard this turn.

That Italian Guy, Overwhelming Assault is only a Push 2. The Elite Living Bones should have stopped in hex D4 where the trap was.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

I'm just going to (attempt to) hit the boss really hard this turn.

That Italian Guy, Overwhelming Assault is only a Push 2. The Elite Living Bones should have stopped in hex D4 where the trap was.

I find it fascinating that every time I wrote a trivia question, there was a different error tied to that specific part :confuoot:

I'll rectify the skellie position!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
:ese:

I intend to stun the skeleton at range (since the boss is immune to stun) and stab the boss.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

:ese:

I intend to stun the skeleton at range (since the boss is immune to stun) and stab the boss.

Looking at the Cragheart's remaning cards, I foresee a powerful punch in the future of the Living Bones...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm going to short rest at the end of this turn too because these will be my last 2 cards. I feel safe in my current situation. As long as I don't eat a crit I should be fine.

Edit: I'm 100% going before everyone and everything this turn so if a dangerous situation reveals itself I can try to run away. Doubtful though.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 15, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'll be going fast but not blazingly so. I'm sacrificing a safety defensive play for some more offense because if things work out like I expect I should be relatively safe from attack this turn. I would really like to get the boss dead if possible.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright, this is good. I think I'm able to largely follow the flow of this game now. I'm actually considering signing up for a turn to play, if it's not too late, and you don't mind letting a total novice enter the fold. I figure I'll have three more scenarios to lurk and learn more anyway.

I am trying to get a RL group together to go in on this in the meantime, but schedules among my regular friends are proving tricky this year.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Don't worry, sign up! We all started the game without knowing how to play and still got through it, and as we were discussing yesterday Gloomhaven is one of those games that is just fun to play regardless of win or loss.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Don't worry, sign up! We all started the game without knowing how to play and still got through it, and as we were discussing yesterday Gloomhaven is one of those games that is just fun to play regardless of win or loss.

Yeah seriously. If we all exhaust this scenario, the next group can learn from our bungling and hopefully do better :)

I think we're doing pretty well so far though! I really wish the boss had only opened 2 doors though. Cleanup is going to be harder.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, you want the boss to open the 2nd door for the treasure chest but it's ideal if he just stops there and takes up the doorway so those zombles can't get out until he's dead. And I agree, we're doing pretty well. The boss is going to take a lot of attacks this turn, the skeleton is already half-dead thanks to the helpful traps the archers kept leaving around, and the zombie horde is already a bit worn away thanks to Rocky. Unless the wheels start falling off the cart I'm pretty sure we have this, though things may get a little tense for me personally once I have to go tank the zombies.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright then, lemme at 'em (in due course!)