Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Gunbreakers makin friends already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I...I guess I got to the :yokotaro: part. Jesus.

*edit - I've played Drakengard and the Niers. I know better. This is only the start.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 28, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tote up a bags posted:

I played a bunch of DNC earlier and it feels verrrry simple and binary.
yeah from what I can tell you're basically just doing a 1-2 rotation (single-target or aoe) and then pressing procs when they show up. Dancer's entire design philosophy seems like "procs but like... on everything?" Even your procs have procs! it's hard to tell but it looks like you can't really screw up the dances either, apart from losing time spent pressing the wrong buttons.

I think it would be nice to have just like one extra thing, a dot or debuff or something because when procs aren't happening you're just kinda pressing 1-2 and nothing else is going on, but other than that I like the job. Might not be for everyone though.

e: I'm still curious how the math works out on using standard step on cooldown or not though

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Philonius posted:

Square Enix, please give overhaul monk animations to copy

Ran'jit. Kung fu master dodging with both hands behind his back will never stop being insanely cool.

Disappointed they didn't opt to name him Maat instead. =(

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay, the tooltips are correct and Umbral Hearts do not reduce Despair's MP cost. That means you want to go into astral mode with three hearts, and then do something like F4 F4 F4, F1, F4 F4 F4, Despair.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I didn't really look up any Monk changes before logging in. A lot their OGCDs were removed, including internal release?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The music so far has been superlative but the first story dungeon's theme loving rips (edit: and tears)

isk fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2019

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
Now that there are multiple cross-world linkshell slots I've set up one for goons on Aether. If you want an invite add Leonia Keilley on Sargatanas or hit me up on Discord at Cali#4098

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Healing as a scholar far: There is something wonderful about critting an adlo and giving a dps a second full health bar on top of the other one.

I dont know how potency shapes up compared to the previous version but it seems like, even on lower levels, the extra damage you would have done with your deleted dots is factored into your ruins/broil. Ruin 2, at least at lower levels is just slightly weaker than normal ruin. The fairy seems to be able to keep an honest tank by herself in 50/60 and leveling dungeons (dont know about 71+ though). Art of war feels better than bane on 5+ enemies when dishonest tanking. So far MP hasn't been an issue with the shorter cooldown on lucid but I still miss not having energy drain.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Thanks a bunch Skywatcher

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the light corrupting the wilderness, turning everything white, tryna gentrify the source

Saint Freak posted:

Thanks a bunch Skywatcher

as you complete the story you purify the zones and it unlocks weather patterns for them

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 29, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I was a bit skeptical about the premise of Shadowbringers - I expected Stormblood to transition into the counterattack against Garlemand, so the end of 4.55 felt anticlimactic. But the story through the first dungeon is extremely good. The visuals, the music, the whole package feel extremely on brand for the series. Really nice to see the server issues were brief as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So has anyone tried out trusts yet? I tried them for a bit and while they're better than GC squadrons, I noticed that they don't use AOE abilities AT ALL. I'd honestly rather take my chances in DF.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, didn't expect to see a Seattle bus entirely wrapped in a Shadowbringers ad on the drive home.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Loving the architecture of the Crystarium. Everything's so open and expansive but it's reasonably easy to navigate. This team's gotten really good at conveying physical scope.

Fister Roboto posted:

So has anyone tried out trusts yet? I tried them for a bit and while they're better than GC squadrons, I noticed that they don't use AOE abilities AT ALL. I'd honestly rather take my chances in DF.

I used Trusts for the 1st dungeon and, while they were (as advertised) lower on damage than competent players, they were AoEing quite a bit. For the record I used the twins and (1st dungeon Trust NPCs) Crystal Exarch as tank.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

tote up a bags posted:

Stylistically dancer rules but I think it's a bit too simple to trudge through 10 levels of grinding to do the new content, so my big bulky lion boy is gonna be a ninja for now.

Is that you peskers

Edit: you better start dancing!!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Amusingly they seem to have lied about drop rates with trusts, because i saw 6 items drop while running the first dungeon with them. Even better, I got the orchestrion roll for the dungeon, so if you are just looking for items they seem better than a party.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished out the first dungeon and... yeah, Shadowbringers is committing to a pretty strong opening here.

I'm hoping that the game makes it and sticks the landing, because this is unfolding way better than Stormblood ever did

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tote up a bags posted:

Stylistically dancer rules but I think it's a bit too simple to trudge through 10 levels of grinding to do the new content, so my big bulky lion boy is gonna be a ninja for now.

Should of done like I did and skip Stormbringers. I get to work through all the Stormbringer content as a gunbreaker now and not feel like I'm playing catch up with my main. :v:

Pretty sure I've settled on gunbreaker too, I rolled around with both them and Warrior and GNB seems more interesting to me, for better or worse.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I organized my inventory for multiple hours and I somehow enjoyed it. Fuckin shadowbringers.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a fancy ribbon hat on the achievement vendor guy in Gridania. It looks good

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
My gear isn't the best but it seems like the damage dealt in dungeons has gone way up. Dungeons are taking longer than they used to, and it seems pretty risky to even go a double pull.

I don't find this super exciting because I don't enjoy trash pulls, but what's nice is that every boss so far has had a very powerful tank buster that has made cooldowns a bit more useful than they usually are in this type of content.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Staggering out of nonstop XIV play today this is really good you guys this is so good.

It's also long, like, goddamn, I don't recall Stormblood having this long a MSQ but this one is taking awhile. But it doesn't seem padded at all, just rich and engaging. I'm even just through the 53 dungeon and I am engaged as gently caress right now. Hopefully it carries this momentum through the rest.

That said every single Pixie can go gently caress themselves. Although our bonded pixie whose name escapes me redeems them a bit through truly excellent voice acting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Achievements tell you the name of the level 80 Job quests and let me just say holy poo poo does Dark Knight have a lot to live up to with that name.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So is there anywhere that lists how many of the new bicolor gemstones currency from FATEs you have? I don't see it in my inventory or in the currencies tab. Also, it's pretty wild actually seeing people out in the field and doing FATEs and stuff. I wonder if the revamped FATEs will lead to people spending more time in overworld after the initial expansion rush or if it'll end up fizzling out in the end.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Automated Posting posted:

So is there anywhere that lists how many of the new bicolor gemstones currency from FATEs you have? I don't see it in my inventory or in the currencies tab. Also, it's pretty wild actually seeing people out in the field and doing FATEs and stuff. I wonder if the revamped FATEs will lead to people spending more time in overworld after the initial expansion rush or if it'll end up fizzling out in the end.

it's in the travel menu, under shared fates. you'll see how much you have there and your progress on the traders

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?

Vermain posted:

Liking overhauled AST so far, with a single complaint: there's some really bizarre latency with using Play. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels sort of like I'm trying to get a macro to fire; I have to really jam that fucker before I can get it to work. Anyone else noticing this, or is it something on my end?

It's definitely not just you, I have pretty good ping and I notice it. Multiple times I've tried to cast "Play" between GCD skills and nothing happens, to the point I remapped it because I thought my keyboard was broken. Guess we just have to spam it until SE fixes it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DNC makes more sense when you realize it's secretly SAM.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Krabboss posted:

My gear isn't the best but it seems like the damage dealt in dungeons has gone way up. Dungeons are taking longer than they used to, and it seems pretty risky to even go a double pull.

With trash, given the low or just flat out non-existent costs for AOE attacks now, the devs are flat out telling us "USE THESE" and it hurts way, way worse than before when you're seeing the other DPS doing single target rotations on balls-to-the-wall pulls.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, going from Monk to Dancer is insane. Things are just so much easier, and things die so much faster. And not worrying about positional?? Are all ranged melee DPS like this??

I'm very tempted to level Dancer to 65 and continue Stormblood as it!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'm finally getting to play, and y'all weren't kidding about the Viera voices... I gave mine Voice 5, which sounded fine in the character creator, but in combat...

I cringe every time I use my RDM melee combo, because every strike she produces this weird vibrato waHahAh sound, and it's the same sound file for each strike, so it's wahh-wahh-wahh and it's terrible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

So I'm finally getting to play, and y'all weren't kidding about the Viera voices... I gave mine Voice 5, which sounded fine in the character creator, but in combat...

I cringe every time I use my RDM melee combo, because every strike she produces this weird vibrato waHahAh sound, and it's the same sound file for each strike, so it's wahh-wahh-wahh and it's terrible.
Change your name to Wjaluigi

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Voice 5 sounds fine unless you wanted a cutesy sounding combat voice, she has tough grunts and shouts.

If you want a cutsey anime voice through and through pick voice 1 or 2. If you want to annoy the poo poo out of people you are with roll with voices 7 or 9.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I went with 4. Seems OK so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Shadowbringer’s is the strongest expansion start yet imo. Like, I feel way more engaged in the world than I ever did in HW/SB

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

server queues can eat my butt

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

yeah from what I can tell you're basically just doing a 1-2 rotation (single-target or aoe) and then pressing procs when they show up. Dancer's entire design philosophy seems like "procs but like... on everything?" Even your procs have procs! it's hard to tell but it looks like you can't really screw up the dances either, apart from losing time spent pressing the wrong buttons.

I think it would be nice to have just like one extra thing, a dot or debuff or something because when procs aren't happening you're just kinda pressing 1-2 and nothing else is going on, but other than that I like the job. Might not be for everyone though.

e: I'm still curious how the math works out on using standard step on cooldown or not though

There's some complexity around managing drift on dances, and presumably optimizing partner swaps, but that stuff is pretty irrelevant outside of raids. Not that I ever had too much to think about while leveling ninja either, I guess.

And yeah, it is worth to use standard step on cooldown.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Standard Step is massive damage and a short cooldown, literally always be firing off.

Even if you aren't in combat. Even if you are in town. Especially if you are in town.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

Standard Step is massive damage and a short cooldown, literally always be firing off.

Even if you aren't in combat. Even if you are in town. Especially if you are in town.

The best way to play Dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Echoing the story praise. I feel invested in what's actually happened to The First and want to help my crossworld friends out. If the next three expansions is us beating back the light and opening more of this world I'd be happy.

I really like the into to the zones this time around and feel excited to come back and get into further poo poo in them down the road. Gonna King Hippo belly punch a fat man eventually and I can't wait.