Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bamhand posted:

Company name is Moxy if it's stuff you're not using. Appreciate it! Just trying to figure stuff out since I just unlocked her and she is a bit behind my other characters both level and gear wise.

What stuff is worth upgrading? Should I just be salvaging lower level purple and red items? I've kept most of them in case they would be good candidates for upgrading.

Sent ya the stuff!

There are some reds that are worth holding onto (Eluote, Cleaner's Shoes and Leton's Jacket come to mind), but in general lower level reds and purples can be salvaged for materials. Upgrading is kind of unnecessary, to be honest, the gains are mostly marginal with the exception of stuff with very high values already - like Giselle's rifles or Alisa's Greatswords, for example - and the whole thing is kinda expensive in terms of materials. Definitely something for the post-game when you have good reds and purples at the level cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Got it! Thanks so much! And for all the info.

Game is definitely a hidden gem.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As a side note getting the reboot skill for Kylie is a game changer, never run out of her best stuff. I'm running her as a hacker and when Overload kicks in and i get to activate admin mode and get all her skills it's just mayhem. The reactive matrix on spider hell is insanely funny.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If anyone is having trouble getting money and some bonus gear, here's a pretty great video with an optimum method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW8ylvs0Ve4

I've been trying it myself and it's super easy and quick to rack up a couple 100,000 vil.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, that video is a good guide for making money fast. Also works for crafting since that's pretty much the only thing to spend money on in the late game.

New update is out and crabs are in! Also in: remaking every single build because we have an extra ability slot for everyone.

The new violent case is set after an unreleased scenario mission, so beware of light spoilers.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I'll just wait for the next update then.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sandweed posted:

I'll just wait for the next update then.

I stand corrected after actually playing it (I was going on Discord report), it is not a spoiler, but a typo. It is still chronologically after the next scenario case, but nothing plot relevant happens for the DLC events. Just another happy community of beasts who think they've found a nice place to hang out before Giselle kicks down the doors of their new home.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I stand corrected after actually playing it (I was going on Discord report), it is not a spoiler, but a typo. It is still chronologically after the next scenario case, but nothing plot relevant happens for the DLC events. Just another happy community of beasts who think they've found a nice place to hang out before Giselle kicks down the doors of their new home.

Pretty off-putting tbh, these guys gave done nothing and are isolated from the city so I kind of feel like we're the baddies here. One of their masteries is to eat humans though so they probably are dangerous but still feels like punching down.

Crabmits are pretty good. Nothing crazy strong and their Burrow ability is a bit too slow for me unless you picked the personal mastery to decrease the AP cost. But the Venom Crabmit I picked up has a long-range mortar attack that creates poison clouds and works off of Pincer Attack with Beast so that's pretty cool. I think I'm gonna try out the Wind one and see if I can work something out with Burrow and Blood Wind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think it mostly that when there are too many ESP beasts in a place they can potentially just explode, which might or might not have caused the blast that killed Albus' mother. Also probably dangerous for humans if they went into the city proper.

Someone on the Discord raised a pretty good hypothesis. The Crabmit situation is a straight up reflection of the Spoonists. The former are seeking the Promised Land, while the Spoonists seek the Land of Feasts. Volcano Crabmit talks about them needing to create their own paradise in a similar way Carter's beliefs, while Snow Mountain is John and Flower Garden represents Ramjist, who created their entire faith based on a lie.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blood Wind Crab was a failure, their main attack is 2-hit which means it doesn't count for 1H1K so I can't just chain-kill half a map like I can with Bianca (she's so crazy on the new map since crabs don't have impulse fields). I'm trying to pick up all the new SP masteries you get from taming crabs now, thinking about how to make a poison build work.

The extra ability slot has let me finally get Catharsis into my Albus build, which feels so great. He can finally frontline without running out of attacks and having to run away.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Bianca's teleport dunk ultimate might just be my favourite attack in the game. It's a combination of not just the great animation but also the fact that it's a huge rear end wind explosion so everyone hit goes flying away from the epicenter.

Especially satisfying on that huge crab cluster that always seems to form on the top right of the map.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so I started playing this and I'm 2 missions in; am I missing out on anything super cool by being in offline mode?

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

As far as I know Shooter st will still have all it's vendors regardless of online status. The main difference is not seeing the % values when you get a branching deployment option or dialogue choice.

Did you get the alternate costume colours in the mailbox? That might be the only important thing that might be missable.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah. So I guess I'm good then.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah don't worry about it, only thing you are missing out on is trading with other players.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you are offline you can use save editing to cheat in money and bypass material grinding. that's pretty much all money is good for, too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok so I started playing this and I'm 2 missions in; am I missing out on anything super cool by being in offline mode?

In theory you will be missing out on receiving and sending stuff through the mail system (which is really really minor) and on the eventual MP modes (coop and PvP? It is a mystery) that Dandylion intends to add after the DLC chapter is complete. Honestly I wish the devs wouldn't bother, PvP died really quickly on much bigger tactics games like Divinity 2 and XCOMs, though coop might be kind of neat.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok into the game enough to get the warehouse (I'm going to assume the workshop they're talking about is a later upgrade).
This game seems glorious in many ways but also it has a ton of mechanics and doesn't do the best job of explaining them (I don't know how I'm supposed to actually research masteries).
And yeah, the first missions are really easy. But then Shark comes along and OHKOs Sion and makes me feel like a complete idiot.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok into the game enough to get the warehouse (I'm going to assume the workshop they're talking about is a later upgrade).
This game seems glorious in many ways but also it has a ton of mechanics and doesn't do the best job of explaining them (I don't know how I'm supposed to actually research masteries).
And yeah, the first missions are really easy. But then Shark comes along and OHKOs Sion and makes me feel like a complete idiot.

You research masteries by resarching your enemies, basically. The gist of it is that enemies have a chance to drop the masteries they use, and once fully researched, all of their masteries become craftable provided you can also craft an prerequisites. So by beating up bad dudes you'll gradually unlock cool new poo poo to do with your own guys. :)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ChrisBTY posted:

You get new masteries by leveling classes, finishing enemies in the troubleshooter list, and a few exclusive ones are gotten from specific choices in story missions and achievements.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I'm 10ish hours into the game. There's stuff I like about it and stuff I don't. I feel pulled towards it and pushed away from it at the same time. A loosely designed SRPG built around X-Com's core mechanics feels deeply satisfying (I don't know how to explain the difference between 'loosely' vs 'tightly'. I hope you can just compare what this is to what X-Com and understand what I'm talking about).
But on the other hand maps can take forever which makes the story take forever which means I still only have 3 party members when the deployment limit is 8. The game is trying to explain a lot which is rough given the rough translation. I have little to no investment in the narrative. No in-battle saves for now is fine but once things start getting hard it's going to be a problem. if I wind up eating poo poo 45 minutes into a mission and having to start over I'm going to be pissed. (Very early in the game checkpoints were mentioned but I don't know how they work. Are they automatic?). Having Sharkey OHKO Sion early on at least ripped off the failure band-aid so I don't have to spend the rest of the game being anxious about my perfect record.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm 10ish hours into the game. There's stuff I like about it and stuff I don't. I feel pulled towards it and pushed away from it at the same time. A loosely designed SRPG built around X-Com's core mechanics feels deeply satisfying (I don't know how to explain the difference between 'loosely' vs 'tightly'. I hope you can just compare what this is to what X-Com and understand what I'm talking about).
But on the other hand maps can take forever which makes the story take forever which means I still only have 3 party members when the deployment limit is 8. The game is trying to explain a lot which is rough given the rough translation. I have little to no investment in the narrative. No in-battle saves for now is fine but once things start getting hard it's going to be a problem. if I wind up eating poo poo 45 minutes into a mission and having to start over I'm going to be pissed. (Very early in the game checkpoints were mentioned but I don't know how they work. Are they automatic?). Having Sharkey OHKO Sion early on at least ripped off the failure band-aid so I don't have to spend the rest of the game being anxious about my perfect record.

It took me way too long to work this out but if you go into the options you can drastically speed up the combat. Also failing a mission lets you keep your earned exp, masteries and most of your earned items so even if you stumble you still progress in those ways and can come back stronger.

Hope that helps, this is a game that gets better and better as you progress through it so hope you stick with it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 12, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, also the game autosaves every turn, which I think is not really taught anywhere, so you can quit anytime. Checkpoints are only for loading back to in case of a loss, but as Nephthys said, it is often better to continue to retain the XP and loot.

And yeah, speeding up combat from the options menu is a huge QoL improvement.

Also recommend sticking with the requests and scenario (red) missions until you have more people. The pace in which they join is really low in the early game, but it picks up after that slump. One of the symptoms of the game being in EA for so long.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Look thoroughly in the menu. They also have the option to tone down the voices everytime you do actions.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

And remove the dialouge for opening chests, after like lvl 5 you should never care about the items in the chests.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is there a Discord for the game or anything since I am still dumb as hell 2/ builds for the most part and want to bug people every time an update is out for every character

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MotU posted:

Is there a Discord for the game or anything since I am still dumb as hell 2/ builds for the most part and want to bug people every time an update is out for every character

There you go! It is pretty active even between updates and yeah, 90% of it is build discussion.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Finally updated the game and did the new mission and jeez. Can't leave anyone exposed against these crabs or they just die immediately. I'm also not sure if traps themselves got buffed or that lv50 set is just that ridiculous but they are incredibly fun now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Traps got a large buff to damage and the Powerful Trap mastery was tremendously improved (with Freeze, Neurotoxin and Confusion as effects). And the Item Set made them even stronger since you can deploy one per turn as a free action with three parts. I made a trapper Giselle (not quite optmized) and she is fantastic, definitely my choice for beast maps.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And new scenario mission is out!

Not much plot advancement, but a lot of character development. Alisa and Bianca are the cutest couple.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Just noticed that you can change the random bonus you get when making drones now. Got rid of whatever I had before and switched to the 200 HP one. Broke 9k hp on my transporter :toot:

They’re starting to feel a little weak compared to how ridiculous Giselle’s pets are getting. No drone version of inrush training sucks too

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 1, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I still can't recall anything seriously getting close to killing my drones, but you're right that they have abysmal damage to the point that taking their turns often feels like a waste of time. I played around today with a new Kylie build that was really fun and doesn't need the drone at all.

Is there a way you can get poison and flash traps for Giselle or am I just dumb and missing something obvious?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I just beat Abandoned Children (up to the DLC anyway). A very engaging game with a lot of mechanics that didn't quite click (why did I bother doing all those subquests to build my company's rank where there was a hard limit to how many points I could get and I just wind up getting promoted to the next rank at endgame anyway).

I thought I had this game's vibe figured out when I first saw the Spoonists and thought 'ok we're not taking this completely seriously' but then 'whoops we are playing this completely straight'. I feel like there might have been a cultural disconnect between Dandelion and the US. Where we'd see a bunch of guys in spoon masks talking about spoons and thinking 'this is silly' but they intended it to be a proper plentitude religion (or whatever you would call a religion devoted to feeding the downtrodden).

This was also kind of a feelbad game; where half of the time I entered a mission thinking 'do I really have to beat these guys down? I don't wanna' while the real assholes were busy being untouchable in cutscenes. I felt like such a cop. Which I mean, I was. Except for the White Tiger Gang. gently caress those guys.

Also did I hear right in that the DLC isn't finished yet? Don't really want to play through half-finished DLC and not really the sort to just grind stuff out in cruel mode just for the sake of making optimal killing machines so I guess it's time to do something else with my life until Banished Children is a thing (if it ever is).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 2, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ChrisBTY posted:

I thought I had this game's vibe figured out when I first saw the Spoonists and thought 'ok we're not taking this completely seriously' but then 'whoops we are playing this completely straight'. I feel like there might have been a cultural disconnect between Dandelion and the US. Where we'd see a bunch of guys in spoon masks talking about spoons and thinking 'this is silly' but they intended it to be a proper plentitude religion (or whatever you would call a religion devoted to feeding the downtrodden).

I think it's supposed to seem silly at first, but then you gradually grow more sympathetic to them as you learn more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, I thought it was kinda playing into the almost comic booky thing it has going. The group seems like its going to be a cartoony group of villians and you quickly realized that is not the case.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I agree that the Spoonists are meant to be initially perceived as cartoon comic villains before you get to know them better, which is similar to the the Drifter Clowns introduced in the DLC. I feel it is one of this game's strengths the melodramatic sympathy it wants to invoke from its antagonists. White Tigers, Vendetta, Skulls, Nine Dragons, The Mayor and Institute are the only absolutely evil guys and you really only get to dunk on the first one. Jesus gently caress, there are too many factions in this game.

The beast hunting missions are the worst for this, in my headcanon Giselle takes all of them to animal shelters. As an aside, her post-mission chat with Ray in the most recent case cemented my opinion on her being the best character.

ChrisBTY posted:

Also did I hear right in that the DLC isn't finished yet? Don't really want to play through half-finished DLC and not really the sort to just grind stuff out in cruel mode just for the sake of making optimal killing machines so I guess it's time to do something else with my life until Banished Children is a thing (if it ever is).

Yeah, the DLC is incomplete but being regularly updated. That said, you might want to come back when it is complete in like August, as it has a lot of stuff that will likely bridge the two seasons. Plus Alisa and Bianca are very fun characters and I am not sure they will be there at the start of season 2. We know it will follow Albus' company, but it is likely that we will start with a limited roster for both plot and gameplay reasons.

Nephthys posted:

I still can't recall anything seriously getting close to killing my drones, but you're right that they have abysmal damage to the point that taking their turns often feels like a waste of time. I played around today with a new Kylie build that was really fun and doesn't need the drone at all.

Is there a way you can get poison and flash traps for Giselle or am I just dumb and missing something obvious?

Yeah, Ashuram's videos are pretty good guides for Troubleshooter, kind of amateurish, but everyone has to start somewhere. Also one of the only two content creators making stuff for this great game.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I've probably posted about my transporter more but if you want actual damage then responsive attack flamethrowers are the way to go. You kinda have to treat them as disposable if you aren't an engineer though. They'll probably run out of fuel immediately and the fuel mastery set won't help since they'll just die without special armor/absorption/etc before they ever get their turn back to use emergency fuel. That hacker build is absolutely ridiculous though. The only thing it doesn't have is consecutive attack

I think the extra traps in the description is for enemies that use the mastery too. I'm pretty sure the enemy hunter dude has poison traps but I don't know about flash.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm really not very far into the game but I very quickly fell in love with the game's general aesthetic of "the Wire but written in crayon and played out by superhero action figures." It's just so drat earnest all the time, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

lil baby anime posted:

I've probably posted about my transporter more but if you want actual damage then responsive attack flamethrowers are the way to go. You kinda have to treat them as disposable if you aren't an engineer though. They'll probably run out of fuel immediately and the fuel mastery set won't help since they'll just die without special armor/absorption/etc before they ever get their turn back to use emergency fuel. That hacker build is absolutely ridiculous though. The only thing it doesn't have is consecutive attack

I think the extra traps in the description is for enemies that use the mastery too. I'm pretty sure the enemy hunter dude has poison traps but I don't know about flash.

Hmm, I'll try that out to see if it helps. Is the fuel issue not even possible to get around with the module that gives you fuel for moving? I've not had too much of an issue with that helping.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I always suspect that I'm overlooking something obvious.