Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will Nate Diaz move onto after the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Official Stockton Weed King 26 48.15%
Rizin champion, stripped within two days of winning 4 7.41%
Official spokesperson for Subway sandwiches 6 11.11%
Let's be real: it's Bareknuckle Fighting Championship 18 33.33%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Speaking of declining future career moves

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1570567882299568128

What if, after getting knocked out five times in six fights, Marlon Moraes did not, in fact, retire, and did, in fact, move up to a weight class where everyone will be bigger and stronger than him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
at least most of the pfl featherweights are wrestlers?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
nvm, forgot shane burgers was there now

marlon gonna die :ohdear:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Due to his trying to cling to his soul leaving his body, the Rothwell KO was much funnier and probably embarrassing socially (if Schaub were capable of the self awareness required to feel shame.) But I will argue the Big Nog KO was much more shameful as a professional fighter

The embarassment for Schaub was also completely overshadowed by what a feel good moment it was for Nog, who had never, surprisingly enough, fought in brazil his entire life. loving hell Nog's the best. That show he did for Fight Pass a few years back was lovely, just seeing him having rehabbed his injuries, seeing he still had all his marbles. I always liked him but there was a massive effort post some goon wrote when this became the MMA/wrestling forum that made me really appreciate the insane scope of his career and how he probably shouldn't even be alive.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Id feel bad for Schaub if he didn't bring 90% of this on himself and wasn't making millions of dollars despite having no discernible talent except making friends with talented people.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

The embarassment for Schaub was also completely overshadowed by what a feel good moment it was for Nog, who had never, surprisingly enough, fought in brazil his entire life. loving hell Nog's the best. That show he did for Fight Pass a few years back was lovely, just seeing him having rehabbed his injuries, seeing he still had all his marbles. I always liked him but there was a massive effort post some goon wrote when this became the MMA/wrestling forum that made me really appreciate the insane scope of his career and how he probably shouldn't even be alive.

The locker room reaction to Big Nog beating Schaub is second only to Jose Aldo Buys A Suit in heartwarming Brazilian MMA videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrbNvXNDyY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is not MMA, but for those who weren't watching football last night, you missed an amazing single leg:

https://twitter.com/mcamerlengo/status/1570605110270758913

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Pretty cool highlight with background for Huggy Bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72pwAuuXw4

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty cool highlight with background for Huggy Bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72pwAuuXw4

Are these sorts of videos made by UFC surrogates?

I've seen many videos like this and they all share some things in common: The production quality is top notch. The footage is of only high quality and audio is included. They are ranked very highly by Youtube's algorithms. And they lack that "feel" of it being some diy job. The channels that host these things tend to have just a few videos each, with all of them being of the highest quality. Most youtube channels have a ton of videos, with the earlier ones being rough as they figure out what works and what doesn't. They also typically self-promote, so the host will introduce himself, pump the channel, and generally do things to add character. These sorts of videos have that lifeless, mass-produced feel to them (despite being very good videos). And finally the videos don't get taken down by copyright complaints despite the UFC being highly aggressive there.

Sorry for the rant, but I've seen a bunch of HL videos that have these characteristics too, wondering if I'm off base here.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Count Roland posted:

I've seen many videos like this and they all share some things in common: The production quality is top notch. The footage is of only high quality and audio is included. They are ranked very highly by Youtube's algorithms. And they lack that "feel" of it being some diy job. The channels that host these things tend to have just a few videos each, with all of them being of the highest quality. Most youtube channels have a ton of videos, with the earlier ones being rough as they figure out what works and what doesn't. They also typically self-promote, so the host will introduce himself, pump the channel, and generally do things to add character. These sorts of videos have that lifeless, mass-produced feel to them (despite being very good videos). And finally the videos don't get taken down by copyright complaints despite the UFC being highly aggressive there.

Sorry for the rant, but I've seen a bunch of HL videos that have these characteristics too, wondering if I'm off base here.

Wouldnt be surprised. UFC has a long history of gorilla-style youtube promotion.

FreeFights4U is a meme-style example, footage that Zuffa normally would have copyright stricken immediately but not only do all their videos still exist but Dana White himself used to tweet them out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP04-diHtc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I've seen many videos like this and they all share some things in common: The production quality is top notch. The footage is of only high quality and audio is included. They are ranked very highly by Youtube's algorithms. And they lack that "feel" of it being some diy job. The channels that host these things tend to have just a few videos each, with all of them being of the highest quality.

These sorts of videos have that lifeless, mass-produced feel to them (despite being very good videos).

I'm not sure what kind of content-generation services exist, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility.
As you can see in the credits, it seems to be some Russian-based outfit that hires a native speaker to do the narration.
In this particular video/channel, there's some rough edges to the wording that belies that foreign authorship.
So is that channel doing it as part of a bigger media company that takes these kind of "campaigns" or is it a true one-off from bidding on some content-generation clearinghouse?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

UFC definitely used to have a meme team - like the Barao vid above, nobody produces that poo poo without getting paid for it. It seemed like they may have been axed some time after the WME acquisition but maybe they've spun back up again

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Come to think of it all the fan channels I watch use still images or heavily pixelated pan and scans, so that is kinda sus.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think they saw the kinda views ONE were doing with their Woah 😰😰 What a Headkick 🔥🔥 Out Cold 🥶🥶 type vids

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looking at Barnett's record netted this very :smith: fight.
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1542898883088498688
Two losses since getting clobbered by Sergei -- I guess he needs the money.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

drat, that was almost Bob Sapp levels of barely even showing up for the fight

Also, Aspen Ladd missed weight again lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/spinninbackfist/status/1570825904464760834?s=46&t=4uMxOubwoiFRnrGYqt-_2w

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just thinking about nate diaz again and couldn't stop laughing at how i remembered his conor call out so i needed to go back and see if i was remembering it right. i was. it's actually the second sentence, 'i'ma fight YOUR loving rear end'. emphasis on the 'your'. it really wasn't asking. conor wasn't calling the shots. nate was fighting his loving rear end not the other way round. should have known right then.

but i'd also forgotten another piece of solid gold, nates entire rant went for loving ages and nearly all of it needed to be censored. joe stood there smiling for way too long listening to him talk before eventually going 'haha er we can't really say that on fox'. imagining the truck going crazy in joe's ear the whole time makes it even funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqUIdJhjZZk

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

chaleski posted:

drat, that was almost Bob Sapp levels of barely even showing up for the fight

Also, Aspen Ladd missed weight again lmao

lmao aspen ladd

Chris James 2 posted:

phonebooth fight

now rotate the phonebooth while they fight!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

e: rip didnt see the above

you can't even get "knocked out" in the phonebooth fights. you have to get knocked out and in and out and in and out and in and out and out and out and really really out and then it's over. feels like the punches kept the loser upright for 9 seconds longer than he had any right to be

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 16, 2022

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

RIP Fight Circus.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i feel both bad and compelled to post:

aspen lardd

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I I uploaded a 2 minute trailer to YouTube about a documentary I was working on featuring Al Iaquinta. And in that 2 minutes it had 9 automatic flags put on it and they wouldn't make it visible to anyone but me. I spent hrs and hrs on getting that few mins perfect, finding footage, writing out the shot list etc. Complete waste of time. gently caress youtube

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

just thinking about nate diaz again and couldn't stop laughing at how i remembered his conor call out so i needed to go back and see if i was remembering it right. i was. it's actually the second sentence, 'i'ma fight YOUR loving rear end'. emphasis on the 'your'. it really wasn't asking. conor wasn't calling the shots. nate was fighting his loving rear end not the other way round. should have known right then.

but i'd also forgotten another piece of solid gold, nates entire rant went for loving ages and nearly all of it needed to be censored. joe stood there smiling for way too long listening to him talk before eventually going 'haha er we can't really say that on fox'. imagining the truck going crazy in joe's ear the whole time makes it even funnier.

From that interview and during the entire build up Nate made it sound like he was doing Conor the favor. Giving Conor the biggest, most important fight of Conors career. And he truly believed this and because he believed it he made it reality.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nierbo posted:

I I uploaded a 2 minute trailer to YouTube about a documentary I was working on featuring Al Iaquinta. And in that 2 minutes it had 9 automatic flags put on it and they wouldn't make it visible to anyone but me. I spent hrs and hrs on getting that few mins perfect, finding footage, writing out the shot list etc. Complete waste of time. gently caress youtube

if the automated detection is wrong an appeal could work. It sucks though, I always test upload any footage or music I wanna use before i do any work with them cos its a huge drain when you spend hours on a thing and then some dummy somewhere said that one weird sound was his forever.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Eat This Glob posted:

i feel both bad and compelled to post:

aspen lardd

aspen i'm in awe of the size of this Ladd. absolute unit.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Nierbo posted:

Try Vimeo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

EthanSteele posted:

if the automated detection is wrong an appeal could work. It sucks though, I always test upload any footage or music I wanna use before i do any work with them cos its a huge drain when you spend hours on a thing and then some dummy somewhere said that one weird sound was his forever.

Yeah exactly. Some petty poo poo out there. I know copyright is a legit thing. No one wants their stuff ripped off but when others are uploading dozens of docos and fight highlights and I get slammed for making a tribute to an underrated fighter, I get bent over.

If I ever go back to it I will just chuck it up on vimeo. Just sort of took the wind out of my sails knowing that growing my 3000 subs to something respectable is out of the question without loving around for hrs to circumvent YTs nonsense.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ladd/McMann is now scratched entirely.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Trillhouse posted:

aspen i'm in awe of the size of this Ladd. absolute unit.

lmao

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

like, at a certain point, what do you really do

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

watching that in the arena with mr nice was rad

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

like, at a certain point, what do you really do

quote:

After a cancelled fight with Macy Chiasson in 2021, Ladd responded to criticism from former bantamweight Miesha Tate, noting that she would be working to rectify the situation.

“You are a champ, a pioneer in MMA, I have a great deal of respect for you,” Ladd said in a post responding to Tate on social media. “Bottom line is I didn’t make it. There is documented history struggles. One pound or 10 pounds the bottom line is I didn’t get it done. Taking control to rectify the situation. I will not engage with negativity this has brought.”

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always like Jake Shields face in the background where he looks like someone kicked his dog.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
At one point in time I was 100% sure Marlon would get that UFC gold. What a huge downturn for a pretty cool fighter with lots of potential. He trains at the NJ affiliate of ATT?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nierbo posted:

At one point in time I was 100% sure Marlon would get that UFC gold.

i remember typing 'oompa loompa doopity dee, if tj was smart he wouldn't fight me'

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
BKFC released their pay... its not good, most of the fighters are getting $2500-$5000

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just like real boxing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

BKFC released their pay... its not good, most of the fighters are getting $2500-$5000

yep https://www.fightbookmma.com/bkfc-28-fighter-salaries-ferea-vs-starling/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LobsterMobster posted:

watching that in the arena with mr nice was rad

Yes it was we need to go again soon.