Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

when you get very, very mad about them to the point where you can’t reasonably state a case, only post insults or tell people they simply aren’t trying hard enough to like what you like, it seems like it does

shut the gently caress up and turn your monitor on (then get out of yospos)

Captain Foo posted:

your operating systems are supposed to be a piece of poo poo not your personalities

fuckin chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

Turns out this was pretty good advice. Now I am running OpenWrt on repurposed Aruba enterprise gear, and it's working great!

Thanks, Beeftweeter.

you're welcome. i do try to give good advice, but i also don't care if others follow it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

beeftweeter has convinced me to use kde if i ever need to use desktop linux again

kde is pretty great. use xfce if you need something simpler, but tbh the performance is about the same

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

your operating systems are supposed to be a piece of poo poo not your personalities

they're the same picture

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
remember the saying, everyone:

Live. Laugh. Love. Linux.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

using linux makes a statement

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Asexual. Atheist. Linux

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Linux

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if melting down and pinning my entire sense of personal self-worth on a linux window manager is against the rules then idk why we even have yospos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

if melting down and pinning my entire sense of personal self-worth on a linux window manager is against the rules then idk why we even have yospos

idk i thought the definition of fyadlite was to refine ironic detachment to the point of mental illness

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idk i thought the definition of fyadlite was to refine ironic detachment to the point of mental illness

no fyadlite just means we get to reply with just "lol" and use bad grammer and all lowercase

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

If my linux was bad and broken, I would simply fix it and submit a patch.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ryanrs posted:

If my linux was bad and broken, I would simply fix it and submit a patch.

in that case arch is the best because its patch system most resembles pastebin.com

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

pastebin had obnoxious ads, so I've been putting my patches on paste.armbian.com

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

this is going to sound like an advertisement but: you can make kde function like macos with just a couple of clicks. just download a theme from control center and apply it

it's unlikely but i guess you might have to add a global menubar widget yourself if the theme doesn't come with one, but that's also extremely easy, just right click on the desktop and go to add widget

also you want to download plank for a dock probably, it's dead simple to set up and use ime. others that are good but more complex are docky and latte dock

i feel like you keep saying you're trying kde but are not actually doing that. all of these things are pretty easy and even easily discoverable, and we're talking about linux here ffs

yeah! I hosed around with heaps of themes, I played with the editor a lot, and I broke my poo poo and had to do ujust reset-theme a dozen times. it was fun for a day or two until it became annoying. then all the Mac themes just spawned the windows-like start menu from the top left, the taskbar just lived at the top with a dumb app dock on the bottom, and it all felt like when you try to dock around with windows to make it feel more Mac like. vanilla gnome otoh functions nearly exactly as the Mac UI right out of the box, and just adding the Dock to Dash extension made it almost identical, just with different shortcuts

I don’t honestly have the time, energy, or patience to gently caress around with KDE more than that. i certainly didn’t do a deep dive nor try scripts or anything like that.

akadajet posted:

or you can just buy a mac and get a unix that works without all the bullshit. and with better hardware than you can get anywhere else

my personal dream is macOS being available as an OS for any computer, but obv that will always just be a dream :sigh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

also I wasn’t trying to start a posting war lol. I’m just lazy and am trying to avoid Win11, even though I have a feeling my laziness will prevail and this experiment will come to a close

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m just lazy and am trying to avoid Win11

windows 10 end of life is october 2025, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

graph posted:

this is why I started dipping my toes back into the linuxosphere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah! I hosed around with heaps of themes, I played with the editor a lot, and I broke my poo poo and had to do ujust reset-theme a dozen times. it was fun for a day or two until it became annoying. then all the Mac themes just spawned the windows-like start menu from the top left, the taskbar just lived at the top with a dumb app dock on the bottom, and it all felt like when you try to dock around with windows to make it feel more Mac like. vanilla gnome otoh functions nearly exactly as the Mac UI right out of the box, and just adding the Dock to Dash extension made it almost identical, just with different shortcuts

I don’t honestly have the time, energy, or patience to gently caress around with KDE more than that. i certainly didn’t do a deep dive nor try scripts or anything like that.

my personal dream is macOS being available as an OS for any computer, but obv that will always just be a dream :sigh:

yeah you have to use the apple menu widget if you want an apple menu for some reason. most of them map the apple menu to a start menu because that's actually useful

idk what you were using that just put a taskbar at the top but most themes i've used put a global menu (i.e. file, edit, etc.) there. like i said though if they didn't then you can easily do it yourself

most kde mac themes i've tried have been far more accurate than gnome ones, and dolphin is much more like finder than whatever gnome's thing is. xfce is a decent middle ground if you like gtk, but i'd definitely use plank or something

because imo dock to dash doesn't work anything like the actual dock, and gnome doesn't function anywhere near identically to macos. but if you like gnome then you should use it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

also I wasn’t trying to start a posting war lol. I’m just lazy and am trying to avoid Win11, even though I have a feeling my laziness will prevail and this experiment will come to a close

also there's no posting war, shitface is just a loving weirdo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

lots of people are going to continue using windows 10 after october 25

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

yeah tbh i'll probably be putting my partner on LTSC. we haven't had a terrible time introducing her to Linux but MS Office is still the sticking point.

at least with 10 we have an option for continued support unlike XP whcih was just lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

graph posted:

this is what is going to get me to finally get steamvr to work on linux

also i've got one of the new gpd win devices on the way and hate that it's win11 by default. i'll certainly be trying linux but won't be holding my breath for any of the hardware, let alone any power control mechanisms, to actually work. but maybe i'll be surprised

furthermore,

rotor posted:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

actually, gently caress this moron, he's illiterate

Beeftweeter posted:

nah gently caress off

Beeftweeter posted:

see? this guy thinks five sentences specifically replying to things mentioned in the op is three paragraphs, he's an idiot. sorry five sentences are such a monumental lift for you

Beeftweeter posted:

e: by "plugin" or "extension" above shitface means "hack" (much like themselves).

Beeftweeter posted:

you're a moron

Beeftweeter posted:

shut the gently caress up

Beeftweeter posted:

shut the gently caress up and turn your monitor on (then get out of yospos)

Beeftweeter posted:

also there's no posting war, shitface is just a loving weirdo

:allears:

no Linux distro will fix whatever the gently caress this is

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
how does the steam deck do everything so friggin' right, to the point that my bluetooth controller can actually wake it from suspend

i have literally never used another computer so completely functional in every way under linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

:allears:

no Linux distro will fix whatever the gently caress this is

how many of those are in response to some stupid call-out by yourself? you really must be illiterate

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

psiox posted:

how does the steam deck do everything so friggin' right, to the point that my bluetooth controller can actually wake it from suspend

i have literally never used another computer so completely functional in every way under linux

chromebooks are pretty functional. luckily that translates into support from distros too

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

psiox posted:

they configure everything for that specific hardware before shipping it. they also patch the kernel and do other stuff.

a LOT of this work is filtering out to the wider ecosystem

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

lots of people are going to continue using windows 10 after october 25

hm. that’s risky

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

psiox posted:

the only game I’ve tried to play on linux that didn’t work at all was PUBG. all my other games work, and if they didn’t work I change the runner from proton to either a different proton version, depending on what protondb says, or proton-ge

I’ve been on Bazzite and I’ve had more problems with Plasma 6 crashing mid game or gnome crashing when steam is running and the screen blanks from inactivity than I’ve had from playing games, which is absolutely crazy to me.

I’ve heard that Nobara (a fedora Distro, not a ublue image like Bazzite) is even better, but I’m hesitant to switch to a distro maintained by one dude (GE, Glorious Eggroll). I did try clear, but regrettably I’m switching to a 7800x3d, so no use in getting attached to its performance improvements

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Nobody Interesting posted:

they configure everything for that specific hardware before shipping it. they also patch the kernel and do other stuff.

a LOT of this work is filtering out to the wider ecosystem

yeah, it's crazy impressive. i'd love to have steamos on these GPD devices with the same featureset. it's nuts to me that the e.g. TDP clamping/framerate limiting/etc. just works. here's hoping 🤞

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph posted:

I’m building a new machine next month and will probably have to buy a new windows key to install 10 or 11, since I don’t remember how I transferred my licence from my previous build to my current

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

how many of those are in response to some stupid call-out by yourself? you really must be illiterate

there’s not a burn in the world i could drop that would make anymore like a sadbrained dipshit than you already do

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m building a new machine next month and will probably have to buy a new windows key to install 10 or 11, since I don’t remember how I transferred my licence from my previous build to my current

that one dude in SA-Mart is great for win10pro keys, never had a problem with them (nor have the people i've referred to him)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve heard that Nobara (a fedora Distro, not a ublue image like Bazzite) is even better, but I’m hesitant to switch to a distro maintained by one dude (GE, Glorious Eggroll). I did try clear, but regrettably I’m switching to a 7800x3d, so no use in getting attached to its performance improvements

well yeah that's much better than one maintained by intel

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

can you use Clear with a Ryzen? I thought you specifically said you can’t lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i recently built a "new" machine out of old bits to use as a steambox and put nobara on it as it was recommended in the r/linuxgaming faq. seem p deece but i haven't done much with it yet. it does come with some gaming specific stuff like lutris too.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
oh interesting, Glorious Eggroll also maintains that Proton fork (which i only know about due to very good success with it via the heroic launcher for all my gog games under linux) and tbh is probably pretty legit. I'll still be trying steamOS first and then probably give nobara a shot

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
oh god i finally did it for like the first time. q != e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

can you use Clear with a Ryzen? I thought you specifically said you can’t lol

it might, it might not, it depends on the motherboard i guess. i said i couldn't use it on my ryzen (laptop) and wouldn't even bother trying to get it to, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work on all ryzens. compatibility is poor, but if it works the drivers are there, so

but either way what i meant was: if you're using intel right now, and fedora doesn't work, why not?