Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Awww, it's bad? What a shame. I had such high hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I had such high hopes.

What? Why? How?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwoPair posted:

Awww, it's bad? What a shame. I had such high hopes.

Sonic Boom is incredible, I am utterly incredulous.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
From what I've seen of Sonic Boom, its story involves a certain plot device we know and love from the best Sonic game ever made.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mehuyael posted:

From what I've seen of Sonic Boom, its story involves a certain plot device we know and love from the best Sonic game ever made.

The sound for being hit and losing rings only plays if you are standing in water.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
So far sonic boom is nowhere near as bad as lost world. Not that it doesn't have the potential.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

So far sonic boom is nowhere near as bad as lost world. Not that it doesn't have the potential.

From the first video you guys posted Boom looks absolutely dreadful and unfinished. I'm really confused how it could possibly be better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My only question is what happened to Pokecapn and why have you replaced him as the Sonic Game lpers.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Paul Zuvella posted:

From the first video you guys posted Boom looks absolutely dreadful and unfinished. I'm really confused how it could possibly be better.

It hasn't hidden entire game mechanics from plain sight then suddenly required it near the end of the game, but it's too soon to call foul on that yet.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lost World was a terrible designed sonic game in basically every respect, boom gets points for not really even trying to be a sonic game so far. It also has way way better writing. The only character in Boom as horrible as anything in Lost World is Knucks. Again, kyle and I have ONLY seen what is in that first episode and we havent seen anything that i would call broken or unfinished. Just bland.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

Lost World was a terrible designed sonic game in basically every respect, boom gets points for not really even trying to be a sonic game so far. It also has way way better writing. The only character in Boom as horrible as anything in Lost World is Knucks. Again, kyle and I have ONLY seen what is in that first episode and we havent seen anything that i would call broken or unfinished. Just bland.

Uh... I would call that framerate pretty broken, but maybe it looked worse in the video than it did to you guys. Also the way the game cut back and forth from between gameplay and cutscene during that first section was incredibly jarring and looked like it was thrown together last second. And the jump from present to "yesterday"... I dunno, it just screamed rush job to me.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
There's no need to panic until we see tornados carrying cars.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

The Iblis Trigger!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
From what I've seen of Sonic Boom, I guess Amy does gymnastics or something now? I don't really know where that came from but it's also kind of cool that she gets her own competencies as opposed to being The Girl and nothing else.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Don't forget that she had the honor of being the one who could turn invisible for no reason in Sonic 2016, and, as far as that power's worth is concerned: it's no use!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

What? Why? How?

I don't know, I just always have high hopes whenever a franchise tries something bold and different to mix up its style and/or gameplay. But then again, I actually like Sonic Chronicles so I am clearly out of my goddamn mind.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Youtube is exploding with short videos of hilarious Sonic Boom bugs so if you don't mind 'spoiling' yourself (haha) just wander around youtube and you'll soon find things like breaking the game in half with infinite jumps, giant spaceships moving in complete and total silence before disappearing entirely, deathly silent rings and more!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sonic Boom looked like Shadow the Hedgehog but SLOWER from the beginning, so I wasn't expecting much from it.

I will say that I hope that Japan does try to make Amy more capable like the Amy in Sonic Boom, though. I rather liked the direction they took her. She was actually a character rather than

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd settle for just her Boom redesign becoming the main one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Just get rid of the waist bandages (or replace it with something more sensible, like a belt or something) and I'd be onboard.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Got to have bandages somewhere, everyone else does.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

PSWII60 posted:

Got to have bandages somewhere, everyone else does.

Yeah, what's up with the bandages? Why does everyone look partially mummified in this game? Is it just like Final Fantasy and belts?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dr. Miracle posted:

Yeah, what's up with the bandages? Why does everyone look partially mummified in this game? Is it just like Final Fantasy and belts?

Spatting and taping. Real life athletes may bind their hands and feet so as to provide support, protection and reduce irritation to certain areas during activity, so the idea with the Boom redesigns is that its meant to indicate that to given degrees. Ie, Sonic is well covered at the feet because of his running, Knuckles' hands because of how he uses his fists , Tails gets some because of how he roughly keeps up with Sonic, and Amy's is probably meant to be a sarashi to provide support given she's the only one swinging around a massive weapon. That said the work does seem a little sloppy in places given the large and visible gaps going on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I was rewatching your Colors LP because I was kind of sick of you not enjoying a game, and I hit the part where you said "you know what I hope doesn't happen? They just put a bunch of Wisps in later games just because."

Welp.

Really, this feels like a badly done Sonic Colors, with tacked-on bosses that are completely unaffected by you until they suddenly aren't, and a final boss fight that feels like it comes out of nowhere and isn't nearly as satisfying to land the final blow on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It looks like it's a weird blend of Sonic-esque gameplay during the 2D sections and brawler-ey/adventure game style gameplay during most of the 3D segments. Then the mach speed segments are sorta thrown in at certain points for more Sonic flavor. It also appears to be riddled with bugs but doesn't seem to be terrible, just bland and probably not worth playing. Wonder if they got a bunch of the people who do the show to do the writing, as that at least seems more well done.

I gotta say I'm impressed with the water/swimming mechanics though; best I've seen in years. Just jump right in and you'll see!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It really did feel like they threw in wisps just because. They don't even appear often.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One thing I noticed about lost world was the fact that there is no satisfying conclusion with the not so deadly six. You defeat their leader and they are just gone. No cutscene showing what happened to them or anything, just some dialogue from Robotnik saying that he will find another conch and do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nendymion posted:

One thing I noticed about lost world was the fact that there is no satisfying conclusion with the not so deadly six. You defeat their leader and they are just gone. No cutscene showing what happened to them or anything, just some dialogue from Robotnik saying that he will find another conch and do it again.
Because even the developers couldn't give a drat about those awful characters

• Locked thread