Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

If highways lose, it's very likely there will be more trains next update instead.

No-Ses it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

biosterous posted:

Moses supposes his toe-ses are roses,
but Moses supposes erroneously.
Moses he know-ses his toe-ses aren't roses,
BUT CONCRETE AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

This please.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

No-ses! Unless it goes underground.

ninja edit: forgot to bold vote

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

If highways lose, it's very likely there will be more trains next update instead.

Anything that leads to more trains is fine by me. No-ses.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Noses.

Rail supremacy.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
You must cutback on highway funding. You won't regret this.
No-ses for more trains!

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
No-ses

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
No-ses.

That'd ruin the looks! :argh:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Absolutely Mowses down some silly houses in the way of progress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Voting is closed. No-ses has won 18 to 12. At the moment, it is unclear if you will regret this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I was willing to hear this Westerner out, but then he tried to do anything different than exactly how I would want them done! :argh:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I live in NY. Would have voted No-ses.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Grand Fromage posted:

Voting is closed. No-ses has won 18 to 12. At the moment, it is unclear if you will regret this.

Titanically hosed up, if true.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The living will envy the dead.

I'm cautiously optimistic is what I'm saying.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The living will envy the dead.

The dead know only one thing. It is better to ride the train.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was planning an update but my GPU fan has started sounding like a blender and it's a laptop so I can't fix the thing. Sorry for delay.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Grand Fromage posted:

I was planning an update but my GPU fan has started sounding like a blender and it's a laptop so I can't fix the thing. Sorry for delay.

Wow you're running a 25-zones game of Skylines on a laptop? Either it's a beast of a machine or you have an amazing ability to tolerate 15 fps gameplay. Respect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's an MSI gaming laptop, it's quite beastly and well made for the price. Two years old but still running everything great other than this fan thing. The city takes about ten minutes to load even on a SSD, but once it's up it runs beautifully.

Turns out the fan is easier to remove than I thought so once I track down a replacement one I'll be back in action.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Do you happen to have a link to your laptop? I'm looking to upgrade and I don't really have the space for a proper PC setup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd get whatever the newest model is, they probably don't even sell it anymore, but I have a MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro. I added extra RAM and a SSD for the primary hard drive. The only game it's struggled to run is Deus Ex Mankind Divided, the central Prague hub in some places was running like 3 FPS and the loading times were so long I was able to read an entire book during the level transitions throughout the game.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Daaaang. I'm gonna have to look into these things, thanks for letting me know they exist.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Lenovo Y series is probably in the category you're looking for too. Mine did not have trouble wth DX:MD. That sounds like a hardware or driver problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey guys sorry about lack of update, I did fix my machine but just haven't been in a city building mood and have also been busy with another project. Other project is done and I'm feeling the itch so I think there'll be a new post in the next couple days.

I'm posting this mainly to shame myself and make sure I do it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Glad to hear a return is nigh!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

there's no rush but it's good to hear things are alright!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Looking forward to seeing how we will take Korea to the next stage. Trains!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part 19: August, 1977

Daejeon has survived the suggestion to jam a highway right up through it, instead choosing not to render downtown a series of segmented, disjointed neighborhoods interrupted by unwalkable corridors of pain.

Large-scale retail is starting to come to our fair land, as people are more able to afford cars. Economic growth continues with no end in sight.

The University of Daejeon is at capacity, so a new urban campus goes up downtown.

We continue to join our American friends in their love of hitting small balls with large sticks.

The current state of the transit network is strong. All subway lines are getting good usage, though the blue circle line gets the least.

New line time! This one goes from west to east. This is the eastern end, connecting these sort of marginal neighborhoods smushed in here between the American base and the highway. You will have to take my word about the western end since it appears I don't have a screenshot.

Anyway gently caress that, more retail! Once we get to the 1980s I can start plopping actual Korean hypermarkets since as far as I can tell none of the big brands existed before then.

I guess people like fountains or something idk

Northern Daejeon, before development of that empty corridor between Eoeun-dong and Sinbong-dong.

Gotta zone fast

These stations tend to be bypassed since people are all going downtown.

A traditional 5,000 year old temple, don't ask questions about why it wasn't here six months ago

The game, on its own, decided to create its own little stretch of Korean clone buildings. Though these are small for that. And even by Korea standards this is some serious-rear end weird cloning.

It did make me notice this, though. An unfinished rail line! Well, that just won't do. It is pointed toward the west so it better get completed. First stage goes up the mountain. On the other side is a river before we get to another neighborhood, so it could switchback down the mountain and then cross the water for service.

Or just make a ridiculous viaduct. Unfortunately, there are no elevated stations tall enough to reach it, so the neighborhood below will not be getting any new service.

The last decision of the year is rezoning. This area between the two high-density districts is fine I guess, if you're a pussy country that doesn't want to build vertical. By rezoning, the high-density stretch at the center of Daejeon will now be continuous.

Well, eventually. This is one of several issues I have with how zoning is done in C:S. There's no mixed density. In SimCity 4, you can rezone a low density to medium or high and it will gradually, naturally redevelop as necessary. It doesn't just auto-bulldoze the entire area and only allow the higher density development to exist, leaving the area looking like poo poo for however long it's going to take to fill in.

Anyway. Next year is 1978, time for a presidential election! Who are you going to vote for?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway. Next year is 1978, time for a presidential election! Who are you going to vote for?

This sounds like a trick question.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This sounds like a trick question.

Of course not, citizen. Voting is one of the most important parts of a democracy like South Korea definitely is.

Under the Yusin Constitution, citizens vote for local representatives to the electoral college, who will cast the actual presidential ballots. That sounds like the US system but it's somewhat more explicit. You don't cast any vote for president as far as I can tell, you are just voting for the elector. So there is no popular vote total at all for the president.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, eventually. This is one of several issues I have with how zoning is done in C:S. There's no mixed density. In SimCity 4, you can rezone a low density to medium or high and it will gradually, naturally redevelop as necessary. It doesn't just auto-bulldoze the entire area and only allow the higher density development to exist, leaving the area looking like poo poo for however long it's going to take to fill in.

Oh ouch. Do the Cities people know that's a requested feature, so it might show up in the future? Or is it not that important to the game's install base?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Glazius posted:

Oh ouch. Do the Cities people know that's a requested feature, so it might show up in the future? Or is it not that important to the game's install base?

They don't seem to care at all about fan feedback. At the least, they don't give a poo poo about us bonsai city sperglords.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

They don't seem to care at all about fan feedback. At the least, they don't give a poo poo about us bonsai city sperglords.

Too busy repackaging lovely workshop mods as DLC!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part 20: October, 1979

Daejeon has been growing, but also hasn't seen anything new recently. The past year, though, has been an enormous construction project to provide more traffic capacity downtown.

With the defeat of the cross-town highway proposal

With the re-evaluation of the cross-town highway proposal

YOU BETTER BUILD SOME loving ROADS BEFORE I MAKE A CALL

YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHO I'M GOING TO CALL IF YOU DON'T BUILD A GOD drat ROAD

The city approves the expansion of the elevated downtown road to a full-city loop.

Construction begins in earnest in 1978!

The former west end of the road is retained and resurfaced as an on/off ramp. The intersection here is a bit gross, but tearing down the entire elevated road to replace it would be much more work than simply remodeling, so the city goes with the easier version.

The eastern end will get the same treatment. Also, this big empty grass area should be filled with concrete.

나는 콘크리트를 찬성합니다.

Cross the river and add some extensive ramps to connect directly with the industrial area nearby. This, hopefully, will encourage big trucks to use the elevated road and leave the ground to other traffic.

Road construction and zoning is done in the new neighborhood at the same time.

By October of 1979, the elevated ring is complete and open for traffic.

(Pictured: bad apartments)

Also some rezoning for high density commercial to begin a second CBD.

And some detached housing in an American mold, just for shits and giggles.

While we're at it, there's nothing wrong with mass transit. A new tram line is laid down with the new neighborhood and CBD to provide service.

I'LL ALLOW IT

not sure about this place

Line's popular, at least.

October 16

Protests begin in Busan against the dictatorship of President Park Chung-hee. Being a democratically elected leader, such protests are obvious nonsense and the police are sent in to quiet things down.

October 18

Protests are continuing, growing, and have spread to Masan. Park Chung-hee declares martial law against the obvious communist plot to undermine his great leadership.

October 26

EMERGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT

President Park Chung-hee has been brutally assassinated by the traitor Kim Jae-gyu, leader of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency.

It is unknown at this time what is behind the incident, but we must be prepared for anything. The army has been placed on full alert at the border to fend off any North Korean invasion. Martial law shall be maintained until such time as the security of the Korean people can be guaranteed.

Patriotic General Chun Doo-hwan is currently leading an investigation into the assassination. He will definitely preserve freedom and democracy, absolutely sure of that. This is a time of mourning for the Korean people. We shall be strong and persevere.

1980 comes soon and the future is uncertain.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Jewson is a real British builders' merchant - I go past one on my bus route and it always throws me off as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm sure everything will be totally fine.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

나는 콘크리트를 찬성합니다.

This made me choke on my morning coffee.

There are some random detached style American houses down around Osan air base, which you probably know. I was running out around there a few weeks ago and it was absolutely bizarre to come up a hill and suddenly see what looked like a US suburb but tinier--definitely not as much sprawl.

A very worrying emergency announcement too. I look forward to worry how it will affect this great city.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hyundai has a "foreigners compound" in Ulsan where they segregate house their western employees and it has a neighborhood that looks exactly like loving pre-war Sanctuary Hills in Fallout 4, it's creepy. Like some sort of training compound for KGB deep cover spies.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

(Pictured: bad apartments)

Excuse me, I believe you mean 2nd ground floor apartments :colbert:.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

1980 comes soon and the future is uncertain.

Everything is under control citizen.

FelicityGS posted:

This made me choke on my morning coffee.

Is it a pun or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Google translate says "I agree with the concrete."

• Locked thread