Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Hibachi and sushi while enjoying anime marathons and posting on these dead gay forums, per goons.

Why are you posting like a douchebag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Not into the 25 year old single mom with 1 kid but the older woman with 3 kids is a hot ticket.

What'd they DO to him?

It's a wisdom that you simply cannot understand until your mid 40's.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Why are you posting like a douchebag?

he thinks it's funny, like a gimmick account

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Luckyellow posted:

I wonder what happens to disabled guys in prison? Do they have to join in a gang to protect themselves too or do everyone leave them alone because there's no honor in beating up a disabled guy?

Wait, that's NOT how The Crips got started?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Luckyellow posted:

I wonder what happens to disabled guys in prison? Do they have to join in a gang to protect themselves too or do everyone leave them alone because there's no honor in beating up a disabled guy?

No one ever really hosed with the wheelchair guy in Oz come to think of it.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

lilbeefer posted:

OP I hope he gets a Boston Terrier and I hope we gets pics

TBH he needs a Pomeranian in his life

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MikeStmria posted:

TBH he needs a Pomeranian in his life

I have an Eskimo mini so we’re like 95% covered on that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Beastie posted:

What does he think of social media?

What did he think it was when he was locked up?

This is actually something I'd like to hear about too, especially since he's been weirded out by how everyone's tethered to their phones these days

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Beastie posted:

What does he think of social media?

What did he think it was when he was locked up?

Probably that people are way too sensitive these days.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wait til he hears about all the new pronouns.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shocking that the pro-rape, homophobic guy is also a transphobe

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so my brother has been promoted to manager of the warehouse he works at. It’s basically 100% staffed by felons. After the first two days of working there and taking his cues from the other guys who worked there, he said the oldest and grimiest looking dude came up to him and they started talking and got along really well.

The old guy was in jail back in the 80’s and got out and then bought this warehouse and basically leases it out to giant big box stores all over the country, like Wal*Mart and Target etc.

Anyways he and my brother get along great and my bro is closer to him in age than all the 20-30 year olds so he basically told my bro “you work ten times harder than guys I’ve had here for 5 years, do you wanna run this poo poo?”

So now he’s working 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week plus some nights, but he’s getting mad overtime and very happy to be out from our mom’s hair.

His take on Social Media is pretty earnest. He Facebook friended all his old prison friends who got out, all his homies from Boston, and said his thank yous and sorries and caught up with some ladies. He doesn’t understand why dudes keep trying to friend him, so his friends list is like 90/10 chicks to dudes, so I think he’s catching on pretty quick. He doesn’t understand Twitter at all.

For Christmas we’re getting a tree, I’m pushing the family towards a cheap fake one. My plan is to buy him a nice basketball.

The holidays are weird because our dad died on NYE back in ‘98 so we’ve always used that as an excuse to irrationally intoxicates on Mew Years and go fullbore big girl tears... and holy hell can my brother drink. 2 years of prison hooch have made him basically immune to beer, so when the three of us brothers start to drink we get loving silly really fast. It’s gonna be a good holiday.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm glad things are going well

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Honest question, sorry if its been answered, what convinced you to want to be around someone who killed someone else after not seeing them for 20 years, even if its your brother? I think I wouldve completely written off ever seeing them again a year into the sentence

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

StabMasterArson posted:

Honest question, sorry if its been answered, what convinced you to want to be around someone who killed someone else after not seeing them for 20 years, even if its your brother? I think I wouldve completely written off ever seeing them again a year into the sentence

And with a username like that!? SMDH

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so my brother has been promoted to manager of the warehouse he works at. It’s basically 100% staffed by felons. After the first two days of working there and taking his cues from the other guys who worked there, he said the oldest and grimiest looking dude came up to him and they started talking and got along really well.

The old guy was in jail back in the 80’s and got out and then bought this warehouse and basically leases it out to giant big box stores all over the country, like Wal*Mart and Target etc.

Anyways he and my brother get along great and my bro is closer to him in age than all the 20-30 year olds so he basically told my bro “you work ten times harder than guys I’ve had here for 5 years, do you wanna run this poo poo?”

So now he’s working 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week plus some nights, but he’s getting mad overtime and very happy to be out from our mom’s hair.

His take on Social Media is pretty earnest. He Facebook friended all his old prison friends who got out, all his homies from Boston, and said his thank yous and sorries and caught up with some ladies. He doesn’t understand why dudes keep trying to friend him, so his friends list is like 90/10 chicks to dudes, so I think he’s catching on pretty quick. He doesn’t understand Twitter at all.

For Christmas we’re getting a tree, I’m pushing the family towards a cheap fake one. My plan is to buy him a nice basketball.

The holidays are weird because our dad died on NYE back in ‘98 so we’ve always used that as an excuse to irrationally intoxicates on Mew Years and go fullbore big girl tears... and holy hell can my brother drink. 2 years of prison hooch have made him basically immune to beer, so when the three of us brothers start to drink we get loving silly really fast. It’s gonna be a good holiday.

Really happy to hear that.

Lucky he had such a supportive family.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He came and stayed with us a few times when I was small, and when I was 10 I went to go visit him in Boston and he treated me and my little brother like Kings, buying us toys and taking us to the circus and McDonald’s and all sorts of stuff. I was 12 when he got arrested, at 14 my mom drove herself and me down from NY to North Carolina to visit him because at that point he had no one left. I wrote him off and on for years but basically stopped after college except for Holidays because the stress and anxiety of knowing my flesh and blood was locked in a cage was extremely taxing for me and I couldn’t really write to him without crying and freaking out.

I too was a criminal for years, not a particularly violent one, but enough that I could have easily ended up where he did. I had to sell drugs to help pay for college. The only real difference is that I had a loving mother who worked her hands to the bone to provide for her children, and his mother was a drunk bitch who beat her kids. It’s not his fault he lost the die roll and I won it. His entire family on her side is deep Irish Mob connections and his uncles were savage loving workhorses of the local gangs, and when my dad tried to take the baby they put him in the hospital.

Life has to contain some modicum of forgiveness for our sins. If there is no room to come back from the edge of animalism, or brutality and fear, then society has been for nought. The goal is not to create perfect people, but to create a place where people can improve and defy their base instincts that dictate fight or flight. I will never be a great man, I might not ever be a “good person” deep down, but I can put time and energy into helping someone in my family, because it’s all we have, and it’s not like I could reasonably spend even more time in my room jacking off and playing video games than I do now, lol

Lastly, I have a lot of military men on my mother’s side, I don’t really think killing someone is that big a deal. Like I said earlier, I don’t think the legality of your particular murder matters to much to the person getting shot, or really even the person pulling the trigger. Do you wanna live? Ok then you gotta kill that guy or you don’t ever get to go home and see your family again. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the jungle of Vietnam or the jungle of South Boston.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 19, 2019

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t really think killing someone is that big a deal

Oh ok

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
weird! boston used to be interesting? that's wild.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

weird! boston used to be interesting? that's wild.

Gaze upon my chowders, ye mighty, and despair

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

drat horror queefs posted:

Gayz wuhpon may chowdahs, ye moighty, an' despayh

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
thats a boston accent. thats what "southies" sound like

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

If this is the only thing you took out of his reply then you are completely missing the point of this entire thread.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Stelio Kontos posted:

If this is the only thing you took out of his reply then you are completely missing the point of this entire thread.

Jumping at any chance to be a smug gently caress on the internet is 90% of the reason some losers get up in the morning.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stelio Kontos posted:

Judging by his rap sheet, empathy was never one of his strong suits.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Are you... are you virtue signaling in a thread about a man who did 20 years and is working hard to be a contributing member of society?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

Lastly, I have a lot of military men on my mother’s side, I don’t really think killing someone is that big a deal. Like I said earlier, I don’t think the legality of your particular murder matters to much to the person getting shot, or really even the person pulling the trigger. Do you wanna live? Ok then you gotta kill that guy or you don’t ever get to go home and see your family again. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the jungle of Vietnam or the jungle of South Boston.

Firstly, “I don’t think killing someone is that big a deal” is some big time :chloe: talk but I can understand how people could get that way

Secondly, I guess to follow up, did you ever doubt or wonder if your brother was being truthful when he said it was in self defense, and do you know the full story? Was it literally “a guy came to his place with a gun” or more like “he said he was gonna kill me so I went and killed him first”?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean I don’t want to give a twisted perception and neither does my brother want you guys to get a weird idea.

My brother 20 years ago: a savage and violent danger to society who absolutely belonged in prison

My brother today: a very motivated goofball who just wants to be able to live his life and work hard and stay out of trouble because life in prison is complete hell on Earth.

Whether or not you believe that the former can become the latter depends on your ability to believe in people’s individual capacity for change. I never wanted to give the impression that he was like “mistakenly” placed in maximum security, but the empathetic and caring person that I have today is not the person who was locked up.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to be glib about death. Our dad died when I was 10, and I’ve lost a lot of friend to overdose over the years. Like I said my mother’s side is a lot of military guys, and I’m very close to some veterans and hang out with them all the time. Sometimes they need to vent and they tell me about their combat experiences and how hosed up it is. I’m not saying I am like pro-murder or anything crazy like that, I’m just saying I don’t think “having killed someone” is something that overwrites your humanity, it’s just a part of your past that you have to make peace with and doesn’t really have to concern me.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Whether or not someone thinks an individual is capable of fundamental change or whether or not you think this individual is capable of fundamental change is sort of irrelevant, because the reality is that most people in prison are not intended to be there forever, they have a defined sentence after which they are released. Therefore, it benefits society in general to assume that the individual is capable of change and has been given the opportunity to do so and to allow them the tools to implement that change in their behavior by becoming a functioning and contributing member of society. "Oh no he did a murder and is out of prison, better treat them like they're going to murder people at any given moment" is not only making some pretty crappy assumptions about them, but is also denying them the capability to become a functioning member of society. Like sure, I get it, you don't want to be murdered. That's not exactly a controversial opinion. Wouldn't it make more sense, then, to be really happy that they're in a very solid family situation, with a good job, good social support, and an earnest desire to not be a jerk? The pearl-clutching and 'you are an idiot for helping your brother' posts are just short-sighted, heartless, and dumb.

I'm really happy you have the ability and desire to help your brother adjust to life on the outside, and if I were in his shoes, I'd be too thankful for words. :) You're doing an excellent thing, duder 💜

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean I don’t want to give a twisted perception and neither does my brother want you guys to get a weird idea.

My brother 20 years ago: a savage and violent danger to society who absolutely belonged in prison

My brother today: a very motivated goofball who just wants to be able to live his life and work hard and stay out of trouble because life in prison is complete hell on Earth.

Whether or not you believe that the former can become the latter depends on your ability to believe in people’s individual capacity for change. I never wanted to give the impression that he was like “mistakenly” placed in maximum security, but the empathetic and caring person that I have today is not the person who was locked up.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to be glib about death. Our dad died when I was 10, and I’ve lost a lot of friend to overdose over the years. Like I said my mother’s side is a lot of military guys, and I’m very close to some veterans and hang out with them all the time. Sometimes they need to vent and they tell me about their combat experiences and how hosed up it is. I’m not saying I am like pro-murder or anything crazy like that, I’m just saying I don’t think “having killed someone” is something that overwrites your humanity, it’s just a part of your past that you have to make peace with and doesn’t really have to concern me.

If anything I'm just absolutely shocked that the American prison system managed to rehabilitate someone for once. Of course, as others have said, it helps a lot he has an amazing and supportive family to come home to. You're doing a really really good thing and please keep going with the stories, they're great.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Code Jockey posted:

If anything I'm just absolutely shocked that the American prison system managed to rehabilitate someone for once. Of course, as others have said, it helps a lot he has an amazing and supportive family to come home to. You're doing a really really good thing and please keep going with the stories, they're great.

Let's not say things we can't take back here now - I would argue that Bust Rodd's brother was not rehabilitated by the prison system. Instead, I would say that his brother chose to become a better person in spite of the system.

Feel free to correct me here, of course, but I think this is one of those cases where you "don't gotta hand it to them". "Them", in this instance, is the US prison system. I don't in any way mean to diminish his brother - in fact, quite the opposite in fact.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zarin posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back here now - I would argue that Bust Rodd's brother was not rehabilitated by the prison system. Instead, I would say that his brother chose to become a better person in spite of the system.

Feel free to correct me here, of course, but I think this is one of those cases where you "don't gotta hand it to them". "Them", in this instance, is the US prison system. I don't in any way mean to diminish his brother - in fact, quite the opposite in fact.

This is an entirely fair point and I blame how loving tired I am today for giving the US prison machine any amount of credit for anything good.

However it happened, it's good that it did, but yeah, you're right.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Zarin posted:

Came here to post that exact sentiment.

Code Jockey posted:

Of course, as others have said, it helps a lot he has an amazing and supportive family to come home to. You're doing a really really good thing and please keep going with the stories, they're great.

And to wholeheartedly agree with this one.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Code Jockey posted:

This is an entirely fair point and I blame how loving tired I am today for giving the US prison machine any amount of credit for anything good.

However it happened, it's good that it did, but yeah, you're right.

Nothing personal buddy :shobon:

Just, after spending some time reading those HidingFromGoro threads years ago, I'm now in a state of continual :catstare: that such a system is allowed to continue to exist when I remember it exists :(

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Did you miss the part where he did it in self defense or

EDIT: Yes I know this is a troll poster but I'm taking the bait dammit

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol OP I spent a weekend in jail once and all these dudes who were only there for court before heading back to the joint were talking about cooking up rice bowls and I wondered how they were able to do that ever since. Obviously people in county are talking poo poo 95% of the time, but do people still do fishing through the drains and poo poo with the weird pens?

This thread was an interesting read hope your bro keeps doing well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats your brothers opinion/attitude towards LGBTQ+ people? You say he was locked up for 20 years. So 99 or 2000 ish he went in. Back then it was still fairly acceptable to use various derogatory terms in reference to them.

Since then of course, society has become a lot more accepting of the various LGBTQ+ people. In some ways I feel like with people coming and going from prison, the attitudes probably evolved somewhat parallel (but maybe a few years behind the outside world) in that respect, but in other ways I feel like maybe it hasn't evolved that much since in prison everyone might feel as though they have to continually prove their manliness and a dude who is gay might be seen by some as less manly even though he might be able to kick some serious rear end in a fight.

Comedy question if he went in, in '99: Were all the inmates hoping that when Y2K struck that all the prison computers would malfunction and automatic locks and doors would open up and there'd be a mass exodus of inmates?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I am very excited for this days. I probably will be refreshing this none stop to get the news asap!

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I am still excited :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Lol, loving that optimism.