Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

twistedmentat posted:

What spurred me is I'm seeing pictures and videos of people shoveling and stuff and its clearly extremely cold and they have like maybe a light jacket on or in a few cases just a hoodie.

I work up a pretty good sweat shoveling even though it's only like 20F.

Edit: I apologize for the bad snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I lived in Texas for a year and I miss the restaurants. Texas had a lot of good food. In addition to HEB and Central Market. Great burgers at Rodeo Goat and Jake’s as example. Chimichangas at Los Molcajetes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Water just came back on

The sound of a toilet flushing on its own is the sweetest music

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Landlord posted:

Water just came back on

The sound of a toilet flushing on its own is the sweetest music

Oh can you drink it?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Koirhor posted:

Oh can you drink it?

Getting started larping as a fallout player a little early

naem
May 29, 2011

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

What's the worst that can follow from bathing in nasty Texas water? For me, not the water, I mean.

That brain amoeba is pretty bad, but at least it's a quick death.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think the brain amoeba needs warm water

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

hawowanlawow posted:

I think the brain amoeba needs warm water

Maybe even a brain or half-a-brain as well. One can hope!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I knew someone who got trench foot from playing too much tennis

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What's the worst that can follow from bathing in nasty Texas water? For me, not the water, I mean.

That brain amoeba is pretty bad, but at least it's a quick death.

it’s not what I would call quick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleriasis?wprov=sfti1

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

depending on the nature of the flooding and the configuration of local waste treatment, cholera and other various shiteating diseases can crop up

brainmoeba's deffo worse tho. explosive gray diarrhea so bad you die is pretty bad but it's very treatable and nothing is in your brain

e: if things get real bad, like Katrina bad, you can get all kinds of unpredictable stuff. shitwater is bad but corpsewater is next-level

ee: in short, boil your water, and ideally filter it, before going swimmimg in it

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 21, 2021

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Tag yourself I'm the glyph that represents the Blind Idiot God Azathoth

You rang?

naem
May 29, 2011

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I knew someone who got trench foot from playing too much tennis

That's disgusting, what the gently caress. Did they just never take their shoes off ever, because that's how you get trench foot. It's literally called immersion syndrome and it's caused by being wet/damp for too long, meaning like 12-24 hours to start setting in, and you can stop it in its tracks by taking your shoes off and drying your feet. There's no reason to get trench foot from playing tennis unless you're incredibly stupid and grimy.

Haulin Oates fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 23, 2021

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

yeah thats the real issue, ted cruz wasn't being totally tone deaf, the voters he cares about (those with lots of money to donate) would and most likely did do the same thing

he just got caught in public

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Haulin Oates posted:

That's disgusting, what the gently caress. Did they just never take their shoes off ever, because that's how you get trench foot. It's literally called immersion syndrome and it's caused by being wet/damp for too long, meaning like 12-24 hours to start setting in, and you can stop it in its tacos by taking your shoes off and drying your feet. There's no reason to get trench foot from playing tennis unless you're incredibly stupid and grimy.

my hunch is that "trench foot" might have been some mild hyperbolee

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I got the very start of trench foot during a ski trip when I didn't let my extremely soaking wet sweaty boots dry before wearing them for another entire day of bc hiking and riding.

My socks literally melded with the top of my foot and removing them was very unenjoyable. I have a bit of permanent damage to the top of both feet and have to put petroleum jelly on the area before putting my ski socks on now.

The doctor definitely used the term 'trench foot' and I was like cool wwi injuries ftw I guess?

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
75 degrees outside today and the town I work in barely has water (some neighborhoods still don't) but the buildings at work have all kinds of busted pipes so we still have everyone out. Fortunately it only took us about 7 hours on saturday to convince the network it was a network and not a series of $1000 1U space heaters connected together through the ceiling. It was nice and warm in the server rooms though.

We have UPSes but not 4 days worth. So a bad time to find out a contracted tech forgot to save configs to the startup memory thingies after a 100 AP install. So 7 hours to get to "working" but another 16 or so for "functioning mostly correctly so as to not get cursed out by 1000 people."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I got the very start of trench foot during a ski trip when I didn't let my extremely soaking wet sweaty boots dry before wearing them for another entire day of bc hiking and riding.

My socks literally melded with the top of my foot and removing them was very unenjoyable. I have a bit of permanent damage to the top of both feet and have to put petroleum jelly on the area before putting my ski socks on now.

The doctor definitely used the term 'trench foot' and I was like cool wwi injuries ftw I guess?

Yeeeeesh, I'm surprised I didn't get it as a kid.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Azathoth Prime posted:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Tag yourself I'm the glyph that represents the Blind Idiot God Azathoth

You rang?

'Sup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
In the Wall Street Journal, of all places:

quote:

Texas’s deregulated electricity market, which was supposed to provide reliable power at a lower price, left millions in the dark last week. For two decades, its customers have paid more for electricity than state residents who are served by traditional utilities, a Wall Street Journal analysis has found.

Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.

Those deregulated Texas residential consumers paid $28 billion more for their power since 2004 than they would have paid at the rates charged to the customers of the state’s traditional utilities, according to the Journal’s analysis of data from the federal Energy Information Administration.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-electric-bills-were-28-billion-higher-under-deregulation-11614162780

Congrats Texas on paying more for your lovely broken electrical service!