Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s a third rate city with delusions of adequacy overfilled with dishonest scum from all over the world, and we haven’t even started talking about government yet.

Avoid at all costs unless forced here by your job, otherwise look forward to the day this open sore is scoured from the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
I'm one of the rare folks that was actually born in DC.

I'll be moving down south at some point in my life because dammit I need some space. The one big saving grace of living here is watching the value of my house shoot up like a rocket over the years.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
What was true then is true now: “Of all the detestable places, Washington is first. Crowd, heat, bad quarters, bad fair [fare], bad smells, mosquitos, and a plague of flies transcending everything within my experience... Beelzebub surely reigns here, and Willard's Hotel is his temple.”

Ok, so the focal point may have shifted.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

What was true then is true now: “Of all the detestable places, Washington is first. Crowd, heat, bad quarters, bad fair [fare], bad smells, mosquitos, and a plague of flies transcending everything within my experience... Beelzebub surely reigns here, and Willard's Hotel is his temple.”

Ok, so the focal point may have shifted.

The whole "DC is a swamp" stereotype is overplayed. Parts of DC are indeed lower elevation than areas surrounding but the whole of DC, and the MD-VA suburbs are not a swamp.

With that said I am also planning to leave the area once I make some progress in my gov career. Hoping to make a jump to Hawaii or Japan on the gov dime one last time before settling on a quieter place.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m from DC and am starting to miss it now that I’ve been gone over a decade. Traffic is terrible but having usable public transportation is pretty great. Having to drive literally everywhere is the worst. I miss the amount of stuff there is to do and see too. I live in a pretty small town and it sucks having to drive multiple hours to see a lot of things.

I could never afford to live there though. I think the average rent is more than what I make in a month, so yeah. My line of work doesn’t have much stuff in DC anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have a friend about to intentionally relocate from New Jersey to D.C., dropping remote work in the process, and not even for a different job

Though I am sure New Jersey jokes are sufficient to make that a toss-up (and she is a 15 so that part is not an impediment)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have a friend about to intentionally relocate from New Jersey to D.C., dropping remote work in the process, and not even for a different job

Though I am sure New Jersey jokes are sufficient to make that a toss-up (and she is a 15 so that part is not an impediment)

Tbh a 15 can afford a nice 1BR apt and have plenty left over. Buying a house though, she will either have to marry someone making same or move way out, aka traffic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DC is great, and if you hate it, it's probably because you're a miserable idiot who won't be happy anywhere and/or you live in some terrible suburb.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

DC is great, and if you hate it, it's probably because you're a miserable idiot who won't be happy anywhere and/or you live in some terrible suburb.

Eh, the DC I grew up, wilded out and came of age in got gentrified out...

The days of jamming out at Unifest, Stone Soul Picnic, Minnesota Ave Day and Georgia Ave day are long gone.[/boomer mode]

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

Beerdeer posted:

USCIS just posted an appeals officer job. That's like my ideal post but I'm not sure about moving to DC for a GS 13.

Why do you say that? I accepted a GS12 in DC with an engineering PhD and more than 5 years experience and military service. When they offered they told me there was no negotiation and they were offering the maximum that they were able to.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

IratelyBlank posted:

Why do you say that? I accepted a GS12 in DC with an engineering PhD and more than 5 years experience and military service. When they offered they told me there was no negotiation and they were offering the maximum that they were able to.

Because DC is mega expensive, and I'm a single dad with two teenage girls. I think I'd have to make at least GS14 money to keep my head above water.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
One of my old co-workers got a GS 13 in DC and moved to that little tip of West Virginia closest to DC. Sometimes I wonder if that worked out, but not enough to try and contact him.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

IratelyBlank posted:

drat dude, that sucks how they don't give you anything to work with. GS12 isn't bad but nowhere near what you deserve. Then again I see PhDs accepting GS9 jobs. Gov is whack.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Midjack posted:

It’s a third rate city with delusions of adequacy overfilled with dishonest scum from all over the world, and we haven’t even started talking about government yet.

Avoid at all costs unless forced here by your job, otherwise look forward to the day this open sore is scoured from the earth.

Did your fanny pack get pick-pocketed on the metro or something?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sullat posted:

One of my old co-workers got a GS 13 in DC and moved to that little tip of West Virginia closest to DC. Sometimes I wonder if that worked out, but not enough to try and contact him.

I had a coworker who lived out there and took the train in and out every day from Harpers Ferry. It worked for her, I guess? But it’s a lot of train time (90 minutes each way) and limits your schedule pretty severely.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kalman posted:

I had a coworker who lived out there and took the train in and out every day from Harpers Ferry. It worked for her, I guess? But it’s a lot of train time (90 minutes each way) and limits your schedule pretty severely.

I knew a guy who worked in Dahlgren, VA and his wife worked in downtown DC. They lived in La Plata, MD. He considered it a good deal because they were "splitting the commute in half."

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

I knew a guy who worked in Dahlgren, VA and his wife worked in downtown DC. They lived in La Plata, MD. He considered it a good deal because they were "splitting the commute in half."

La Plata to Dahlgren isn't a bad commute other than that bridge. Of course I have a one way hour long commute so anything's better than that.

Honestly I'll probably move to King George and take a job in Dahlgren once contracts dry up here.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

La Plata to Dahlgren isn't a bad commute other than that bridge. Of course I have a one way hour long commute so anything's better than that.

Honestly I'll probably move to King George and take a job in Dahlgren once contracts dry up here.

Exactly my thought after I get a few years experience in DC. Fredericksburg looks decent to me. Or if I can get a job near Richmond, I would be okay with that too. It is nice that Dahlgren receives DC locality pay.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCx0XmRwPUA

Dude commutes over 3hrs each way to DC. I call BS on this. Producers must've exaggerated the story for the clickbait.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Exactly my thought after I get a few years experience in DC. Fredericksburg looks decent to me. Or if I can get a job near Richmond, I would be okay with that too. It is nice that Dahlgren receives DC locality pay.

I expect my plan to fall through spectacularly. It depends where the frigate contract goes, so at least I'll be able to start planning sometime this FY when they award it.

Fred Vegas used to be pretty nice but it's kind of exploded in the last decade and traffic is rough. Commute to Dahlgren is 35+ depending on what side of Fredericksburg you live in. Housings more expensive than King George as well but you have actual stores near you and you're not in the middle of methland.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 6, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had a commute that length twice a week while working at USCIS in the basically-Canada part of Vermont and living in Massachusetts. I am pretty sure five days a week would have driven me insane.

Speaking of insane, I remember perusing USCIS' internal documents for building their new agency headquarters, and there were a handful of people commuting in every day from Pennsylvania. And not, like, "just over the border" Pennsylvania, like 2-3 hours away Pennsylvania.

I mean, hey, I bet you could afford a house that way at least

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Dude commutes over 3hrs each way to DC. I call BS on this. Producers must've exaggerated the story for the clickbait.

I believe that happens, but wow, toward the end it says he's been doing this since '02 and that is just :wtc:

He must also telework or something

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I mean, hey, I bet you could afford a house that way at least

House or sanity, pick one.

To be fair it’s pretty fun to be paying for a house and never be there.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I expect my plan to fall through spectacularly. It depends where the frigate contract goes, so at least I'll be able to start planning sometime this FY when they award it.

Fred Vegas used to be pretty nice but it's kind of exploded in the last decade and traffic is rough. Commute to Dahlgren is 35+ depending on what side of Fredericksburg you live in. Housings more expensive than King George as well but you have actual stores near you and you're not in the middle of methland.

I lived in Fredericksburg and commuted to DC for 5 years along with my spouse. We took the VRE, and it was pretty consistently 90 minutes to L'Enfant station. Some of my friends worked in Dahlgren, and it was 30-45 minutes drive since the roads outaide FXBG are mostly two lanes.

The one thing I hated living in Fredericksburg was the drive to any airport or driving up to DC to see friends on the weekends since the HOT lanes were always open in the opposite direction.

If you have a job with some telework it makes living out there much more bearable, but I got tired of living far from everything I like to go to.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I don't get that guy's commute. Drive to slug to metro to office? Every time you change mode of transportation you're wasting time. Just drive to the VRE (won't shorten trip but at least you can sleep or work or whatever) or figure out a parking situation and drive the whole way. Richmond to DC is a < 2 hour drive and if you're leaving at 4AM there's no traffic.

I also work with a guy who lives in the middle of Pennsylvania. We travel or telework a fair amount, but he still has to be in DC a lot. Apparently he just gets a cheap Airbnb most weeks and just goes home on the weekend.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Even if these guys are SES, that's still poo poo money for this terrible lifestyle.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
To go through all that, he either has telework or is on an alternate work schedule like maxiflex or IFP hours. That is the only way I see his commute working because we all know how hosed I-95 and the Metro can get and this guy has to deal with both in order to get to work.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I hope everyone enjoyed their open season. See you next year or qualifying event!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok I used to think that nuclear reactors generated more paperwork than anything else in the world, but holy poo poo these Air Force people are giving me second thoughts.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am a dental hygienist, age 27. I've been a hygienist for a whole year and cannot get any work. The most I can get is one day temp jobs that only show up a few times a month. I've recently in the last few months applied as a hygienist at every airforce base in the western US. Its my last real effort to try and get some drat employment before I give up on being a hygienist.

I cannot afford any further education and I dont want further education. It took 5 years and near 100k for me just to get through college and the hygiene program. SO in the meantime while i wait I am going to be researching government jobs.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Have you checked out the BOP they are generally very short handed for any type of medical profession.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Veteran's Affairs department is a good place to look. They always need case workers and such. VA is also a large department with presence all over the country. Helps a lot if you are a veteran but not a barrier if you're not one.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Rakeris posted:

Have you checked out the BOP they are generally very short handed for any type of medical profession.

Plus you get LEO retirement.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

12 weeks of paid parental leave just passed house :)

In exchange for creating "space force" lol

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

Will they get 12 weeks off in spaaaaaaace?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Space Force is dumb as hell as should remain the purview of Air Force. But, hey, I guess that means more jobs?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Space Force is dumb as hell as should remain the purview of Air Force. But, hey, I guess that means more jobs?

Space Force will be under the Secretary of the Air Force. The law also prohibits the Air Force from creating additional positions to man the Space Force. All the personnel for the new service will come from the Air Force. The exception is of course the HQ personnel, new secretaries, SES, and GS15s created. Self licking ice cream working as designed :D

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Anybody have a sense of how soon that policy would take effect?

My wife is due 6/28/20

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I think that’s too early, NDAA says it’s effective after 10-1-2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Tell her to hold it. For Uncle Sam!