Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tommofork posted:

I forgot to mention, also with regard to the second part:

Someone in the story claimed that Hood had come to regret taking such a personal interest in WJ's death, which if true meant that Hood was able to influence WJ to refuse healing somehow. I think it was Raest who made the claim while he was going around being Herald of Death but I am 50% sure on that. I don't think Raest is a reliable source.

It was actually the Queen of Dreams, and she probably knows what she's talking about.

To the rest of your post, I imagine Hood, like most intelligent gods and ascendants, is wary about / wants to avoid anything that could be construed as direct intervention in the affairs of mortals. It makes sense that he had vengeance on the back burner until too convenient an opportunity came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Hood can't help what he is. Literally, in this case. In some ways he's a balancer of scales, which I think he comments on later on in the series when someone comments on it.
Then again it's been years and I'm posting late at night, so I could be wrong. Goddamn I need to reread the series (again)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It literally says at some point (don't remember when) that Hood manipulated/caused Whiskeyjack's death by preventing mallet from completely healing his injured leg, causing it to fail at the crucial moment. His motivation was revenge for them retrieving Dunsparrow. Hood regretted it later though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kind of makes you wonder who did Hood intend to take over his job, then. Oh, speaking of that, I just remembered - did we ever get to find out what was with the rotating post of Knight of Death? It's Baudin[spoiler], then he get replaced by some [spoiler]vaguely Seguleh-ish guy, is there a story behind that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the person replacing him is the seglueh second from what i remember, tying up a loose end from MoI

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Having just gotten to that part in BH, I think the Knight of Death and the Soldier of Death are supposed to be two different, unrelated positions. Baudin's the Knight, and appears in MoI briefly; the Seguleh is the Soldier, and delivers a message to Crokus in BH.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Habibi posted:

It was actually the Queen of Dreams, and she probably knows what she's talking about.

To the rest of your post, I imagine Hood, like most intelligent gods and ascendants, is wary about / wants to avoid anything that could be construed as direct intervention in the affairs of mortals. It makes sense that he had vengeance on the back burner until too convenient an opportunity came along.

Gotm but affects moi Oponn bargain for Parans life with Hood after he was shanked by Sorry. His life is exchanged for one close to him. I guess it could be Felisin but i always thought it was WJ

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

zokie posted:

Gotm but affects moi Oponn bargain for Parans life with Hood after he was shanked by Sorry. His life is exchanged for one close to him. I guess it could be Felisin but i always thought it was WJ

Surely Tattersail?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Surely Tattersail?
That was always my impression too. GotM is fairly self-contained.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Surely Tattersail?

Maybe Hood really screwed the pooch and it was Adjunct Lorn.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

zokie posted:

I assumed Felisin since from what I remember from my reread, around the time Paran gets resurrected he also has a flashback of his two sisters as kids. Also, there's Hood's ball of flies that visits Felisin at the start of DG.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

zokie posted:

I'm almost certain it was dhg one of his parents. One dies unexpectedly, the other suicides as a result, leaving Tavore and Felisin the only surviving family. Felisin mentions this in her chain march monologue, IIRC. Mostly because she foolishly believes that her parents would never have allowed Tavore to arrest her if they'd been alive.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I'm starting to think that Oponn just said that assuming that someone Paran knew was going to die before too long. Why waste time and energy when it'll probably happen anyway? Then they get credit while doing nothing..

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I love the fact that, with few exceptions, Erikson leaves things subjective. Makes since considering his background.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I love the fact that, with few exceptions, Erikson leaves things subjective. Makes since considering his background.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about the series. The others being everything else.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

vmdvr posted:

I'm almost certain it was dhg one of his parents. One dies unexpectedly, the other suicides as a result, leaving Tavore and Felisin the only surviving family. Felisin mentions this in her chain march monologue, IIRC. Mostly because she foolishly believes that her parents would never have allowed Tavore to arrest her if they'd been alive.

Felisin dies of her own stubbornness, and I world argue that luck keeps her alive fat enough to become Shaik. Also the flies are there for Heboric if you ask me.

Tattersail gets blasted by magic.

The Paran parents get economically assasinated with one suicide iirc.

You could argue that Lorns death is due to dumb luck, but WJ getting injured and then his bone breaking again ruining the thrust that would have ended Kallor is multiple cases of bad luck.

And if Oppon bargains someones life away I expect luck to be a part of their demise

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

zokie posted:

Felisin dies of her own stubbornness, and I world argue that luck keeps her alive fat enough to become Shaik. Also the flies are there for Heboric if you ask me.

Tattersail gets blasted by magic.

The Paran parents get economically assasinated with one suicide iirc.

You could argue that Lorns death is due to dumb luck, but WJ getting injured and then his bone breaking again ruining the thrust that would have ended Kallor is multiple cases of bad luck.

And if Oppon bargains someones life away I expect luck to be a part of their demise

I read a spoiler one of the malazan wikis about GotM Lorn's demise, I assume it comes from one of the I.C.E. books but I couldn't tell you which one. The person that fucks Lorn up so much that she's easy meat for the follow up attacks was someone from the Crimson Guard there to protect Crokus for reasons???.

With regard to your last point, MoI and some god drat book later I don't see WJ turning away and deferring healing many times as bad luck. That was a decision and if it's true that Hood took a personal interest in it, he or someone he bargained with had the power to influence WJ to defer the healing multiple times. Bad luck was Korlat turning around an instant before the Bridgeburners jumped into Coral so they weren't noticed and WJ didn't know immediately he had to rush to relieve them. Bad luck was (DoD spoiler now) the Bonehunters running into a short-tail lizard army in the badlands that was just on its way to gently caress with other lizards and couldn't care less about them. Back to MoI, and some speculation but not too much spoilers from around RG and beyond, WJ's weakened leg snapping an instant before he had Kallor was bad luck. Deferring healing many times isn't bad luck, that's either WJ being stupidly noble because it's WJ and he does seems like the type to put off something like that or someone with serious power loving with him to nudge his decisions away from healing. That's more like the Errant, but he has no truck beyond Letheras. I don't know that would fall under Oppon's umbrella, as it's later revealed who created Oppon to take over for them and what their gig was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

I read a spoiler one of the malazan wikis about GotM Lorn's demise, I assume it comes from one of the I.C.E. books but I couldn't tell you which one. The person that fucks Lorn up so much that she's easy meat for the follow up attacks was someone from the Crimson Guard there to protect Crokus for reasons???.
Nope, that's in GotM. IIRC, it's Blues and Fingers sent there by Brood who's worried The Coin Bearer ends up being part of collateral damage when Rake is forced to act and doesn't want to complicate the situation even further. It feels unnecessary, but well, it's GotM.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

anilEhilated posted:

Nope, that's in GotM. IIRC, it's Blues and Fingers sent there by Brood who's worried The Coin Bearer ends up being part of collateral damage when Rake is forced to act and doesn't want to complicate the situation even further. It feels unnecessary, but well, it's GotM.

Was that revealed in GotM though? I have no recollection of any bits from either Caladan Brood's or a Crimson Guardsmen's points of view in it. But, well, it's GotM so forgetting is kinda expected. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's a scene where Crone delivers info on the Darujhistan development to Brood and he decides to send them in.
edit: Hey, there's another underappreciated character, Crone. Her meeting with Kruppe in MoI actually made me laugh out loud. "You should be a parrot!" "Parrot?!" "Perfect!"

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I finished Toll the Hounds today, and drat, you guys weren't kidding. That ending was :tviv:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

I finished Toll the Hounds today, and drat, you guys weren't kidding. That ending was :tviv:

Hahahahaha. Yeah TtHs is a hell of a slog, unless you're a weirdo and really interested in the young Andii, Kallor, Karsa and Dassem bro-ing it up while Samar Dev looks on in horror, Torvald Nom and his idiot friends, young Harllo, Stonny, Murillo etc but that ending is convergence distilled into its purest form.

real spoiler: I was interested in those things.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tommofork posted:

Hahahahaha. Yeah TtHs is a hell of a slog, unless you're a weirdo and really interested in the young Andii, Kallor, Karsa and Dassem bro-ing it up while Samar Dev looks on in horror, Torvald Nom and his idiot friends, young Harllo, Stonny, Murillo etc but that ending is convergence distilled into its purest form.

real spoiler: I was interested in those things.

Karsa getting all protective and jealous of Samar when Dassem first joins their little group was adorable.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. I thought I'd read some pretty hosed up poo poo in this series but... (DoD) I'm about.. eh, 300 pages into Dust of Dreams? Maybe not quite that many... and suddenly the huge chain of refugee children gets hit by CARNIVOROUS LOCUSTS WHAT THE gently caress?!? :nms: :cry: :nms:

God drat. Erikson really knows how to throw the painful murder switch. (MT-DoD)Hell, speaking of which, here's a fun exercise. Count how many times you wish you could jump into the story and stab the Errant in the loving throat. I'm at least up to 4 now... although really more like 87 because 80+ of them would be at the end of RG when that stupid piece of poo poo in the palace kills Trull.

And also, an odd aside: (Whole series)Where the hell is Ganoes? I haven't seen him since like, The Bonehunters and Fiddler's hosed up reading in Lether had him pinned to the table... didn't he have like, his own ARMY that made him High Fist to replace Dujek? We got a few whispers from him in TtH but otherwise haven't seen hide nor hair of him in forever and a day now. Granted, Fid used that card to drive off the Errant but I still haven't actually seen the guy in like 3 books now and almost everyone else I really liked is dead at this point. Ganoes where are you :smith:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 10, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Errant is the biggest gently caress in a series full of huge assholes. When you make Mallick Rel look like a bro you know you're a Bad Dude. I still get mad thinking about Trull, three or four years after reading about it.

Re: Ganoes, Erikson didn't forget about him, don't worry.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Errant is the biggest gently caress in a series full of huge assholes. When you make Mallick Rel look like a bro you know you're a Bad Dude. I still get mad thinking about Trull, three or four years after reading about it.

Re: Ganoes, Erikson didn't forget about him, don't worry.

I hope Ganoes murders the gently caress out of the Errant and hangs him on the palace wall in Lether by a nail through the skull, seriously. But given how sadistic Erikson can be, I'm guessing that won't happen.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going back through Reaper's Gale. This time through, with FoD fresh in my memory, I'm finding a much higher appreciation for Silchas Ruin. Of all the ancient Tiste soletaken we meet in the books he seems to be the only one--with the exception of Anomander himself--capable of really reflecting on and learning from his mistakes. He was able to take the hint after his embarrassing excursion to Letheras, he was able to take his imprisonment without holding a grudge against Anomander for never coming to bust him out, and he's particularly good with Kettle. I'd love to read more about him, Rud Elalle, and the resurrected Imass, some day after the Kharkanas and Karsa Orlong trilogies.

I also only just realized that the swords he gets from Quru Kan through Brys in Midnight Tides, the ancient Letherii steel ones, laugh in battle just like Hust swords. Which leads me to wonder whether the ancient Letherii colonists from the First Empire didn't reverse engineer a few of those found at old Tiste battle sites.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh, you remember what's going to happen to Kettle, right?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

anilEhilated posted:

Please don't make me cry over that again. That was an awful sequence for me to read.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so am I reading this right? (Dust of Dreams) Are the K'Chain Che'malle like, capable of genetic modification just by thinking about it? First it talks about that one who is old as gently caress but getting used to new wings and new eyes, then that drone starts mutating into something else.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

Ok, so am I reading this right? (Dust of Dreams) Are the K'Chain Che'malle like, capable of genetic modification just by thinking about it? First it talks about that one who is old as gently caress but getting used to new wings and new eyes, then that drone starts mutating into something else.

Not sure of the exact mechanism of how it works but yes, they are. Continuing DoD chat I don't know of it's the insane Matron secreting 'flavours' to make them change, or the old as gently caress one (this Shi'gal assassin) is capable of independence and can do it on his own once the Matron gave him the idea to. The drone I'm not sure how that worked. I do like the drone changing sequence because it always makes me think NANOMACHINES SON

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tommofork posted:

it always makes me think NANOMACHINES SON

Glad I'm not the only one.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

anilEhilated posted:

I remember. Considering she was the shell of a little girl wrapped around an Azath seed after her resurrection, I feel he did the best he could in the time they had. He listened to her, he cared about her, his rage at the Edur and Letherii slave-catchers who victimized her at the start of Reaper's Gale was probably the most sincere display of emotion we get out of Silchas in the core series. It's not his fault she was reborn to die again.

e: I wouldn't go so far as to characterize Silchas as a good man or something, he was going to kill a lot of otherwise innocent people in Letheras if those Moranth munitions hadn't stopped him. But by the standards of unutterably ancient dragon-elves who aren't Anomander Rake he comes out miles ahead of, say, Bloodeye or Menandore.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 14, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well yeah, Silchas is rather tear it out at the roots in his decision-making process.

On a vaguely related topic, I know one other person that has read these books - apart from your good selves, of course - and, when we get to chatting about them when drunk, we can burn an easy five minutes saying Silchas hRuin like we were Stewie Griffin. Anyone else do that sort of thing?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rejutka posted:

Well yeah, Silchas is rather tear it out at the roots in his decision-making process.

On a vaguely related topic, I know one other person that has read these books - apart from your good selves, of course - and, when we get to chatting about them when drunk, we can burn an easy five minutes saying Silchas hRuin like we were Stewie Griffin. Anyone else do that sort of thing?
No. What does this mean? Are you insane?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That really only works with words that start with "Wh"...

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Not when you're drunk. :colbert:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Doing my first reread up to the bit in House of Chains where Karsa escapes from prison in the Lake town. He sees an altar with a boar statue on it and knocks if over and stomps on it with his foot. So good.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Karsa owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

Doing my first reread up to the bit in House of Chains where Karsa escapes from prison in the Lake town. He sees an altar with a boar statue on it and knocks if over and stomps on it with his foot. So good.

drat.