Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Cocks Cable only has 150 more posts in this thread than that one and has been posting here for FIVE YEARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I amused myself today by rereading this classic game again. Whilst not the most notorious here, it's a good guide for how *Not* to play a Human :v:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

I amused myself today by rereading this classic game again. Whilst not the most notorious here, it's a good guide for how *Not* to play a Human :v:

Magical.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Guy Normal is incredibly old at this point.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Guy Normal is incredibly old at this point.

I sort of assumed as much since I saw it in a two year old thread, but that's hardly a reason not to repost it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
guy normal was a joke character floating around since the base game. i dug him out of some old ffg homebrew character archive for that

he still owns though

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

[BSG] Being Lee Adama is open for sign ups. Here be gimmicks

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

fits posted:

[BSG] Being Lee Adama is open for sign ups. Here be gimmicks

It has ended in a ----Cylon---- victory!

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Somebody made a dynamic BSG rulebook that lets you select what expansions/variants you're playing and alters itself so it shows all the correct rules.

Pretty impressive, missing pictures in a fair few places still but with a little flicking through of it does all the little things that I could think of properly like updating the basestar damage token tables with the +3raiders and +trauma only when Ionian Nebula is set not just when Exodus is etc.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:frogsiren:

I will open a new game within the week. I'd open it tonight but I'm away from home and all my files are there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:getin:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No Sympathizer, Final Five, Earth Destination.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

I will open a new game within the week. I'd open it tonight but I'm away from home and all my files are there.

This WOULD have happened on time except I was stuck overnight in Milwaukee thanks to United Airlines.

[BSG] Picking the Worst Characters Is Part of the Fun, Really is now open for sigups!

Podima fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 16, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If you aren't reading this you should probably be reading this, because jfc.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I hate you. I was clean and getting my life on track.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got the base game! I'm planning on giving it a go with either 3 friends today, or 5 tomorrow.

Any tips to teach the game? I barely know the rules since I only played once, but I'll just read it on my way home and I should be fine. Any house rule or errata that is basically required for the game to work?

There's also a chance I end up playing today with only 3 people total, that's probably a really bad number to play with, right? is it still enjoyable or should I just wait until I herd more nerds?

edit: vvvvv Ah, does it really work that bad with any other number? I know 3 is pushing it but 4 or 6, still bad?

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 21, 2016

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Just got the base game! I'm planning on giving it a go with either 3 friends today, or 5 tomorrow.

Any tips to teach the game? I barely know the rules since I only played once, but I'll just read it on my way home and I should be fine. Any house rule or errata that is basically required for the game to work?

There's also a chance I end up playing today with only 3 people total, that's probably a really bad number to play with, right? is it still enjoyable or should I just wait until I herd more nerds?
Herd more nerds, you really want to play this at 5 or not at all.

When teaching, emphasis that things in Bold make it really obvious how they work, some cards have Action: on it and then some stuff so they clearly take an action to use, some cards say 'play when (conditions)' and they don't take an action. Also make sure to explain that revealing as a Cylon takes an action, and can't be used as a 'A-ha, no you don't brig me, I reveal!' card.

The errata that's recommended even with the base game is:
Maximum quorum hand size of 10
When revealing, Cylons automatically hand off any remaining Loyalty cards, and if dealt one at sleeper then should be handed off automatically (don't need to use human fleet or whatever)
When resolving crisis cards from the Caprica Cylon location, crisis cards should include jump prep but do not activate Cylon Ships (the opposite of what is printed on the base game board).

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
and also the pegasus version of Investigative Committee that doesn't reveal the destiny deck

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

edit: vvvvv Ah, does it really work that bad with any other number? I know 3 is pushing it but 4 or 6, still bad?

5 is best, 6 is okay.

Don't play with less than 5 if you can possibly avoid it, you won't have enough Cylons.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I wish the mechanics of President and Admiral were much more political and evoked more distrust. Like in order to play certain quorum cards, you need to be in some sort of policy mode that increases your own position of power which could be viewed with suspicion. I vaguely recall someone posting rules for something like this. Anyone remember?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Trying to get caught up on Podima's current game, but this:

Toshimo posted:

With humans like these, who needs Cylons?

needs to be a subtitle for a future game at some point.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Play is objectively more fun when the cylons are unrevealed and uncertain. This period of the game should be extended and incentivized by the mechanics somehow. While deep cover can be be fun for shits and giggles, outside of very situational circumstances, it's a huuuge gambit that rarely pays off. Often cylon players will find it most optimal to just reveal and frak off the cylon locations. Sad!

So how about an incentive for cylon players to stick around a bit longer? You potentially play sub-optimal now while continuously accumulating a bonus for later. My initial idea is around Super Crisis Cards. You start a pile of 1 card for each cylon. Each turn you add an additional SCC to the piles. When a cylon reveals, they "take" one of the piles and it stops accumulating SCCs. If they draw a SCC (either from revealing or from Rez Ship), they look at the entire pile and then choose 1. So the longer you wait, the more optimal your choice of SCC can be.

Thoughts?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's less than 15 SCCs that have been printed total, which means that by the end of the second turn cycle (probably midway through the second Jump), they'll have access to most of them.

How does giving them a choice between every single SCC before Sleeper incentivize them to stay undercover longer?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Sorry. I meant every full circle of the table, not individual player turn.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

There's less than 15 SCCs that have been printed total, which means that by the end of the second turn cycle (probably midway through the second Jump), they'll have access to most of them.

How does giving them a choice between every single SCC before Sleeper incentivize them to stay undercover longer?

Stop and breathe, SN. He probably meant "turn" as in a cycle around the table.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Another idea would be to make getting TRE more predictable, so unrevealed cylons have more opportunities to spike checks. Maybe take some of the more lopsided OR crises and add "current player draws 1 TRE" to the preferable option, and the easiliy tankable checks could have some kinds of draw TRE added to the fail condition. Even better if you add a low partial pass which would encourage players to toss in 1 or 2 cards allowing for cylons to use cards on checks that they know aren't going to pass.

Alternatively a new blanket rule:
At the end of a crisis check:
On a pass or partial pass if the current player played at least 1 card into the check he gets to draw 1 new card from inside his skillset.
On a fail or if he didn't play a card he must draw 1 TRE.

This gives all players an incentive to dump a low card into a check that is going to pass to try and draw a high one, providing more cover for cylons to play TRE, risks losing even more cards on a check that ends up failing, and punishes players who constantly tank checks. Since it only happens on a player's own crisis they should always have at least 1 card to play to avoid TRE even on a sickbay draw.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I need a sub for my BSG game. It's post-Sleeper, both Cylons have revealed, and YOU can be the CAGmiral that brings humanity back from the brink.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783409

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Cylons get an additional SC for each distance beyond 5 when they reveal.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

New Double Secret Cylon experimental game here.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I've decided I just can't play BSG with strangers. This guy wanted to play a 6-player game to Earth with the CFB, Personal Goal cards, and him as the the Cylon Leader. He refused to alter this setup to something a little more sane and was determined to make his own personal snuff film. Luckily, I was able to bow out and trick some newbie into taking my spot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I haven't played BSG in person in a couple of years and if I ever did it again, it would only be with people I know really well.

I don't even play other board games with people I don't know that well.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the one that owns the board game in my group of friends so it's not a problem :D

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I...actually don't remember what happened to my copy. I know I don't have it handy anymore, but I'm not sure where it went.

Doesn't matter, I have friends with copies.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cocks Cable posted:

I've decided I just can't play BSG with strangers. This guy wanted to play a 6-player game to Earth with the CFB, Personal Goal cards, and him as the the Cylon Leader. He refused to alter this setup to something a little more sane and was determined to make his own personal snuff film. Luckily, I was able to bow out and trick some newbie into taking my spot.

Any chance this was at gencon? Trying to get into a game tonight but if it's this I'll pass.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Clanpot Shake posted:

Any chance this was at gencon? Trying to get into a game tonight but if it's this I'll pass.

No. It's local.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Some Numbers posted:

I...actually don't remember what happened to my copy. I know I don't have it handy anymore, but I'm not sure where it went.

Collateral damage from when you literally burned exodus? Any recent gaps in your memory?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Was that when your car got jacked? (Did you recover from that okay?)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stelas posted:

Was that when your car got jacked? (Did you recover from that okay?)

No, BSG was definitely not in my car when that happened.

I'm recovering fairly well from that.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Got the itch to play BSG on Sunday, so we broke it out. Played with just the Daybreak expansion and six players (one new to the game). Game went well, until the end, with several close calls in space. Sadly, at Sleeper we went from Distance three to six, and both Cylons came out then (which ended up being Chief (me) and Boomer). Population hadn't been hit hard, and FTL Control, combined with a skill check to increase the jump prep track, ended the game quickly for the Humans.

I know people were talking about seeding the Loyalty deck so a Cylon was guaranteed to be in each phase, but what about some sort of bonus for revealing after the Sleeper Phase? That would also encourage Cylon players to stay undercover through the first half of the game, which was being discussed earlier. Maybe something simple, like one Morale or one resource that's not in the red? Something could also be done on the "You Are A Cylon" cards themselves. Something like "If you are not in the Brig, do X. If the Distance is 3+, do Y. If the Distance is 6+, do Z." Has something like that been tried before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
cocks cable is experimenting along those lines in his game that just started

Cocks Cable posted:

VARIANT RULES

DEEPER COVER CYLONS VERSION 1.0
  • Destiny Deck
    • At the start of the game, create a Destiny Deck with 18 cards (3 of each color). Then set aside the top 6 cards designated as the Seed Deck for the next Destiny Deck.
    • Whenever a new Destiny Deck is needed, create it using the standard 12 cards (2 of each color) along with the Seed Deck for a total of 18 cards. Then again, set aside the top 6 cards as the next Seed Deck.
    • The Seed Deck may never been viewed or manipulated in any way.
  • Super Crisis Cards
    • At the start of the game, designate the beginning of two stacks of Super Crisis Cards, each starting with 0 cards.
    • After the sleeper phase, whenever a Destination Card is resolved, add 1 Super Crisis Card for each Distance traveled, to each unclaimed stack.
    • Immediately after a Cylon Player reveals himself, he claims one of the stacks.
    • Whenever a revealed Cylon Player would draw a Super Crisis Card, he may draw the top Super Crisis Card from the deck or choose from among all of those in his stack.
  • Cylon Reveal Powers
    • If 6 or more Distance has been traveled, a Cylon Player who reveals his "You Are A Cylon" Card may draw an additional "You Are A Cylon" Card from those that are unused and then choose which to resolve. Discard the other to no effect.
    • If 8 or more Distance has been traveled, a Cylon Player who reveals may resolve both "You Are A Cylon" Cards.

• Locked thread