Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Schwartzcough posted:

You sure it's Dark Element? If it's the same one Gaf uses, it's probably the "absorb" element, and I don't think there's a way to cut that. Sounds like that fight is telling you to break his PA.

Night Sword is absorbed by Skeletons, so I thought it was Dark elemental. :downs:
Good to know it is based on PA, I'm going to break the crap out of him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Dimensions would look cooler if they'd get around to releasing it on the Android store so I could play it on my rad Galaxy Nexus screen and not on the tiny junky ipod 4 screen :argh:

I wish Android was better for games than iOS was because the Note 2 has an amazing screen.

Most games either come out for Android late or not at all, I think devs were saying iOS is still more profitable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An interview with Hiroyuki Ito, designer of the combat systems for Final Fantasy I, IV, V, VI, IX, XII, and Tactics.

Nerds everywhere cry out in anguish at the revelation that Final Fantasy was inspired by football all along.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Not "Final Fantasy only" related, but I thought this news was worth posting in here.

Square Enix Licenses Unreal Engine 4

I am pretty happy about this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

An interview with Hiroyuki Ito, designer of the combat systems for Final Fantasy I, IV, V, VI, IX, XII, and Tactics.

Nerds everywhere cry out in anguish at the revelation that Final Fantasy was inspired by football all along.

I've made jokes in the past about Final Fantasy Football, I had no idea how true to life they would be.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Xavier434 posted:

Not "Final Fantasy only" related, but I thought this news was worth posting in here.

This is pretty great, I really like the Unreal engine.

Could they be making another Last Remnant game since the first one used Unreal?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasies were actually Football and Racing games all along :shrug:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Considering the pedigree, you would think that Blitzball would actually be good.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bongo Bill posted:

So that's why, when most other (all other?) JRPGs had enemies lined up a certain way onscreen and the player characters visible from behind, if at all, FF1 lined them up like teams on a field. Suddenly, it all makes sense now. :aaaaa:

This is really cool, in my opinion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Considering the pedigree, you would think that Blitzball would actually be good.

Well, this guy didn't work on FFX, or at least not on that part of it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

Holy loving poo poo, thanks for this. I wish they'd have Itou direct more games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

p.crestmont posted:

Makes sense, Cloud is just an overpaid star WR from a podunk little town who got cut from his team due to cap space and has gone a little bit nuts trying to get even despite still having strong feelings for his original coach.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This explains so much. Like why it took so long for me to like the system. And why it has this weird effect on people.

All along. It was football-mania.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I wonder what would happen if they used Unreal in a mainline FF game and focused their efforts mainly on making a good game instead of mainly on making some overblown piece of poo poo engine that can only render corridors that they try to shoehorn into an MMO :allears:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ah yes, I can finally tell people I play sports games. Suddenly I have an opinion on the new Fifa (it needs more white mages).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I wonder what would happen if they used Unreal in a mainline FF game and focused their efforts mainly on making a good game instead of mainly on making some overblown piece of poo poo engine that can only render corridors that they try to shoehorn into an MMO :allears:

You'll get Chocobo Racing 2 and you will like it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

I don't think they've had the right staff onboard for that in years. In fact, I'm pretty sure they fired their good people after Final Fantasy VII. Possibly before they released it, so sometime after the release of FFVI.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Well part of the problem is that when a company makes a game with a system that feels like the great RPGs of the 90s, everybody calls it dated.

What defines a really good JRPG these days?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

So this is what all that Fantasy Football hooplah I've been hearing about is.

Dross posted:

Well part of the problem is that when a company makes a game with a system that feels like the great RPGs of the 90s, everybody calls it dated.

Japanese honorifics and SLinks, apparently. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dross posted:

I'd say Persona 4 has razor-sharp gameplay and polish in a traditional JRPG. A lot of big noteworthy modern Japanese RPGs are trying to innovate and mix poo poo up, for better (Souls) or worse (FF13).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dross posted:

Pokémon.

In all honestly, something that the old Final Fantasies did really well was act as a gate-way drug between more advanced titles and Pokémon.

If only for that, I'm kinda sad that it is considered dated. I'd love a miniseries of games with simple set-ups like a D&D campaign that you could play in short installments and bring a party of characters through and level up.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think they've had the right staff onboard for that in years. In fact, I'm pretty sure they fired their good people after Final Fantasy VII. Possibly before they released it, so sometime after the release of FFVI.

I'm not a business man but I don't think firing the talent behind one of your most critically and financially successful games is a strong tactic. Folks may have left to pursue other options but I doubt many firings were taking place, if anything the company was growing at that time.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pasteurized Milk posted:

That's because it was and I will throw punches at anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

I could swear he made the racing analogy a while back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dross posted:

A combat system like in Tales of Vesperia.

Mordaedil posted:

Pokémon.

In all honestly, something that the old Final Fantasies did really well was act as a gate-way drug between more advanced titles and Pokémon.

If only for that, I'm kinda sad that it is considered dated. I'd love a miniseries of games with simple set-ups like a D&D campaign that you could play in short installments and bring a party of characters through and level up.

If you add a professional sports element to this you get Xcrawl.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Evil Fluffy posted:

A combat system like in Tales of Graces.

If you're going to cite a Tales game, at least cite the one with the best combat system.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The GIG posted:

That's because it was and I will throw punches at anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

I've got your back on this one, blitzball was a ton of fun and was probably like a third to half of my time playing FFX.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Xavier434 posted:

Oh good, they won't spend half of the next generation making a complicated engine for one game. Hopefully.

I guess they're just going to use it for side-projects like Last Remnant? I mean, they made a big deal of that Luminous Engine a while back, so Final Fantasy XV or whatever is probably being made on that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speaking of The Last Remnant I ran through the first couple story missions of the game doing all the fights because I heard that gaining XP was no longer a Bad Idea in the PC port. Then somebody else told me I was wrong, and probably boned. I just got to Elysion and I think I'm BR 8? Is that way too high?

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
You're not boned at all. It CAN still be bad, just not nearly as much as it was on the xbox. Now it's more of a min-max thing. All it means is don't grind to try and make it go up for no reason and try to avoid fights if you can. You'll want to become good at avoiding fights anyway because battles can become really long and tedious for not much reward. I beat it the first time with a BR at about 110 and didn't have any real trouble.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bongo Bill posted:

Dear Square-Enix, this guy made all the good ones give him more money/jobs, thanks.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could swear he made the racing analogy a while back.

Almost. That was FFIV designer Takashi Tokita.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dross posted:

NIER, basically.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Introvert posted:

Oh good, they won't spend half of the next generation making a complicated engine for one game. Hopefully.

I guess they're just going to use it for side-projects like Last Remnant? I mean, they made a big deal of that Luminous Engine a while back, so Final Fantasy XV or whatever is probably being made on that.

The short answer to your question is we don't know. I am personally hoping that that future project designs which have not already been committed to using a different in house engine will focus on UE4. SE openly admitted that the amount of time and resources that went into their engine for FF XIII was overwhelming. It would be nice if this license is their first big step towards fixing the past mistake and going back to making great JRPGs with good stories. I'm not over blowing my expectations yet or anything, but evidence is evidence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

"Handheld game."

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Dross posted:

Azure_Horizon posted:

NIER, basically.

And Xenoblade. These two are pretty much top tier in delivering everything the JRPG experience is supposed to deliver, and then go beyond what is expected.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

I really liked 13 so I'll probably pick it up for all of $20 regardless.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ross posted:

I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

Odds are if you enjoyed 13 then you will like 13-2 just as much and probably more. That seems to be the general consensus as well as my personal experience with the game. Definitely worth $20.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ross posted:

Nothing. 13-2's difficulty curve is pretty hosed (as in, it's really easy to get way ahead of it and make the entire game a joke going forward), and the plot is trying really hard (and failing) to be Chrono Trigger, but the battle system has been tuned up and you have a lot more freedom in what you do and where you can go at any given time. If you liked 13, definitely pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Odds are if you enjoyed 13 then you will like 13-2 just as much and probably more. That seems to be the general consensus as well as my personal experience with the game. Definitely worth $20.

I feel exactly the opposite actually. The redeeming feature of FF13 was its battle system and FF13-2 gets that wrong while having a dumber and more incoherent plot as well. The only thing it does right is have less linearity, but less linearity doesn't matter much which it is still focused around combat only now all combat is even more boring.

You might still like FF13-2 but being a fan of FF13 doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it.