Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fried Chicken posted:

Confirmed: Mouse is a good boy :3:

Next thread title found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

quote:

Q. Did Maggie LeFay Intentionally and for a purpose have a child, Thomas, with Lord Raith?

A. No. She was having lots of awesome vampire sex and it sort of happened.

Welp, we already knew Harry took after his mom.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Speaking of which, do we know if Maggie's going to manifest any Red Court traits? I doubt it, but I don't remember it being explicitly addressed.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Zore posted:

Speaking of which, do we know if Maggie's going to manifest any Red Court traits? I doubt it, but I don't remember it being explicitly addressed.

Maggie being the only remaining member of the red court would be probably the worst thing that could happen to Harry.

So most likely yes. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There is no red court. Anything red court was wiped out by the ritual - the epilogue of changes quite clearly describes what happens to anyone with red court in them. They become vanilla human, and anyone who was relying on their red court half vampire nature to live longer than they should be, rapidly aged and died.

If maggie had any red court in her, it's gone now - and given that she's been described as a happy and healthy child by everyone whos met her, I would imagine it was never a big part of her to begin with, if at all.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The bloodline spell went up, not down. If Maggie inherited red court powers due to birth, she could still have them.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The books are more interesting if we have new things, not old things, to fear. While there's a number of ways to bring the red court back, it's a lazy choice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anias posted:

The books are more interesting if we have new things, not old things, to fear. While there's a number of ways to bring the red court back, it's a lazy choice.

It would also 100% go against Butcher's penchant for insane escalations. His Tension Ratchet(tm) only goes in one direction, Up.

The Red Court were threatening as an institution, but solo Reds would be about as much threat to Dresden as a mayfly these days.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wittgen posted:

The bloodline spell went up, not down. If Maggie inherited red court powers due to birth, she could still have them.

If it only went up, it would not go sideways.

There's no red court at all. The epilogue makes that quite clear.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

It mentions that any vampires who were far off in the Nevernever might have survived. Coincidentally the Eebs and all their buddies are still in the Erlking's court.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

It mentions that any vampires who were far off in the Nevernever might have survived. Coincidentally the Eebs and all their buddies are still in the Erlking's court.

If they're somehow still alive, I'm sure they wish they were dead. :gonk:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Silento posted:

If they're somehow still alive, I'm sure they wish they were dead. :gonk:

Especially now that Harry and the Erlking are sort of 'Frenemies' after Cold Days.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

OK, up and over. I thought it was meant to kill everyone above the victim. They made a big deal about it being the youngest member of the blood court serving as the catalyst. And they went for Maggie because she was the youngest of her line. If it just killed everyone related to the victim in every direction forever, wouldn't it have murdered all humans? Or at least a huge chunk of people? The specifics are vague, but the curse explicitly didn't go straight down the line, so Maggie could theoretically have vampire murder urges to deal with. Struggling with a corrupting power inside of oneself is a bit of a theme in Dresden, and "I have to murder my vmapire daughter" is clearly an escalation of conflict. I don't think it will happen. Could have some lesser effect though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wittgen posted:

If it just killed everyone related to the victim in every direction forever, wouldn't it have murdered all humans? Or at least a huge chunk of people?

Well, you also have to keep in mind how much power is required to pull off a thing like that.

It's basically stated that this is the same heart explodey curse as the one in Storm Front.

And even a moderately powerful sorceror needed a ritual to generate a 'more than average' amount of power over the course of hours via the Becketts doing sex magic or whatever. That was just to kill one or two people at a go.

The Red Court's version needed exponentially more juice because:
A. Assume wizards have some defenses, if you can't negate them, you want to push through them
B. You know of 1-2 for sure members of the bloodline (Harry and Eb) but there's a good possibility of other family being out there.
So the Reds supercharge this thing with human sacrifices for days just turning this thing into a magical ICBM, there's no kill like overkill, right?

So if it had gone off, there's probably a good chance of bleed through (maybe people from Harry's Dad's side of the family who might be out there; cousins and the like, maybe Susan had some extended family) but even so, you're probably not looking at more than a few dozen deaths before any blood relation is too weak for the curse to care.

And a few dozen dead humans is Tuesday to the Red Court.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

4) Book 16 will be titled PEACE TALKS, and will probably be one of the more supernaturally violent books to date. :)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So I've decided to stop by Butcher's book signing here in Seattle on the 30th. Should I present him with the phrase stats I've come up with or is that just a bit too goony?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

So I've decided to stop by Butcher's book signing here in Seattle on the 30th. Should I present him with the phrase stats I've come up with or is that just a bit too goony?

It's goony as hell and since he's a big nerd I bet he'd get a kick out of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Capacitor posted:

Having gone to 3 different events that he's been at, I can assure you that he's more than happy to hear all manner of wacky fan stuff. The guy in front of me at the Ghost Story signing I was at started rambling about a Harry/Thomas slashfic he wrote and how it should be 'canon' and Jim just laughed and said something to the effect of "Well, if you made the situation plausible, I'm sure it could fit in there somewhere".

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Wittgen posted:

Pretty sure Red court vampires spread by the bitey method only, not through childbirth/genetics.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

In case anyone cares, every Dresden Files book is 1.99 for the Kindle version today on amazon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramadu posted:

In case anyone cares, every Dresden Files book is 1.99 for the Kindle version today on amazon.

Not all of them, just the first few books. The later ones are still full price. I think it's only up to Dead Beat

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

So skipping out on Fool Moon doesn't hurt at all? I've always been hesitant but intrigued about this series, so the special offer has got me tempted. Should I read a wiki summary on Fool Moon to get info on new characters/development or doesn't it matter in the slightest?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bolverkur posted:

So skipping out on Fool Moon doesn't hurt at all? I've always been hesitant but intrigued about this series, so the special offer has got me tempted. Should I read a wiki summary on Fool Moon to get info on new characters/development or doesn't it matter in the slightest?

Doesn't matter,

Pros - has a good "fight" scene in the middle of the book, and introduces some running characters.

Cons - running characters are re-introduced in every book they re-appear in, werewolf sex while the female werewolf eats a corpse

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Bolverkur posted:

I'd say just read it, how long is it going to take to skim a book? You're going to anyhow when you get into the series and the interminable waits set in, so get it out of the way now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bolverkur posted:

Honestly Grave Peril is almost as bad (it's sort of redeemed in the final chapters and the opening stuff with Michael is cool, and the Party of course but besides those it's pretty bland) so if you're going to read that the whole way through you may as well read Fool Moon.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I'm a fan of starting on book 3 and deciding you like the series. If you aren't grabbed by one of book 3 4 or 5 you aren't going to like the series anyways and can safely ignore fool moon and storm front.

Also book 1 and 2 are not -terrible- they just aren't good or representative of the series as a whole.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

You guys are way too hard on books 1 and 2. They're enjoyable romps which when compared to the rest of the series are weak, but they're by no means chores to read.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Storm Front especially is a tight little story that introduces the setting quite competently. Fool Moon has some questionable content in it and way too many kind of werewolves. There's really no reason to skip Storm Front though.

Grave Peril has this odd skip at the beginning where they're invading the hospital and then there's this whole really long tangent/flashback before they actually go after Agatha Hagglethorn. It's always been a jarring skip to me for some reason. You can't skip book 3 though because it's basically the setup book for the rest of the series through Changes.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
If it's your first time through, read them all. Skip whatever you want on re-reads, but first time through, read everything.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Just a heads up,

Amazon.com's Deal of the Day is the the first 7 Dresden File novels in Kindle ebook format for $1.99 each.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Screen Door Slams posted:

If it's your first time through, read them all. Skip whatever you want on re-reads, but first time through, read everything.

This. It's not like you're getting into a life long commitment here. Storm Front and Fool Moon are some of his shortest books. They'll taken even a slow reader only a few afternoons to finish, and while they don't hold up to the later stuff, they're still better than most other genre fiction.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That was a great deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Plus you'll either learn to hate or love Murphy by the virtue of the first two books and the growth of her character that comes out of it.

Also don't neglect the audiobooks! Been "Re-reading" the Dresden files by virtue of going to the gym and listening to the audiobook versions. :allears:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, get the audiobooks if you can. James Marsters is not only an excellent Dresden, but his acting chops really do a lot to enhance the text.

Plus, his vast experience with saying goofy magical bullshit without having it sound completely ridiculous is priceless in this series.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Went to Amazon to order Skin Game and saw their description

Amazon posted:

Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it’s something awful.

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007
Just finished the whole series. If I'd known this thread was here, I'd have posted my reactions as I went, but oh well.

Speculation: The Gatekeeper is totally Merlin. As in, the original Merlin.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Chaos Sonic posted:

Just finished the whole series. If I'd known this thread was here, I'd have posted my reactions as I went, but oh well.

Speculation: The Gatekeeper is totally Merlin. As in, the original Merlin.

Maybe. Butcher said the original Merlin will be something that will come up very late in the series, just before the Apocalypse trilogy, so it's possible, but I find it unlikely.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Isn't Merlin English/Welsh, and Rashid Middle Eastern?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think Merlin is most likely (Skin Game spoiler)the guy in the crystal from the first chapter of skin game. Butcher did say something about putting that guy in the first chapter because he knew he'd be coming up several books down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 15, 2010
New Reader Alert! I have some questions about Turn Coat.

Thomas' change hurt a lot and Morgan's death hurt more than I was expecting. My question however is if Peabody was about to influence new Wardens because of their age, why did Ana get ensnared? I know she has a "new" body but her mind (not brain) is centuries old. Same with Morgan. Or was if because of the ink? I don't recall any clear answer to that in the book.

Could someone with better knowledge of the book than I help?

• Locked thread