Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Joementum posted:

Uhh, he's got glasses now.

I can't wait for the first joke about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
If JEB runs he's going to be billed as "like W except smart!!" A lot of people thought W was folksy and charming, and being able to hand wave away one of his biggest perceived faults is gonna be a big deal for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AndNowMax posted:

If JEB runs he's going to be billed as "like W except smart!!" A lot of people thought W was folksy and charming, and being able to hand wave away one of his biggest perceived faults is gonna be a big deal for them.

Being dumb isn't my main problem with Bush, lying to the American public in order to prosecute an unnecessary war that killed hundreds of thousands of civilians, and instead of making our country safer further destabilized the Middle East creating a breeding ground for more terrorists. That's my major problem with Bush.

The dumb thing just made it easier to laugh at him instead of clawing out my own eyes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The vitriol against the bush years amongst the nation's conservatives was and is vastly different than those felt by progressives. For instance, the Vote to invade Iraq - we just had a poster declare that Joe Biden's entire liberal cred is in dispute based on his vote to invade Iraq. For a conservative candidate, Iraq is so far out of the news cycle now that we can already start to see it being re-cast as a noble, but flawed effort, much like popular culture has done with the Vietnam war. It would be much easier for a conservative candidate to explain to his constituency why she voted to invade Iraq than it would for a liberal candidate. I believe conservative candidates would be far, far less likely to hold his family against him.

Jeb bush is the strongest horse in the race, but that's not saying much. Half the field are looney tunes or has-beens. Without a serious flub he'll knock out the primaries easy.

Whoever pointed out that Hilary would get Obama's support - That is something I had overlooked, thanks for pointing that out. I had read that one of the strengths of the Obama's 2012 effort is that they left a lot of the apparatus in place that got him elected in the first place. That could give hillary a huge boost -but conservative vitriol is incredibly powerful and it's been getting stored up for the last eight years.

Edit: Another thing that really gets my goat - Calling President Bush dumb. Almost every first hand account I've read of him cast him as surprisingly well read and intelligent, he was just a lovely orator. If George W. Bush had been dumb Iraq never could have happened. He was always one step ahead of everyone and no one in eight years was able to stop his agenda in any meaningful way.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The thing is G.W. wasn't dumb, I mean a lot of things he did were "dumb" (re: evil), but he wasn't actually a total rube. That affect made him go from the gently caress up son of a dynasty to president of the United States and even in our fallen age that's still not an easy thing to do. People would underestimate him a lot and it cost the country.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Eight years might as well be a million for the average voter. Any disappointments they had with W's administration are going to be a lot duller and more distant than ones they had with Obama's, of which Hillary shares a political party and nearly-identical platform.

I think you guys are really overselling the "another Bush in the White House!" angle and it's only going to sound scary to the people who already voted against the past two Bushes in the White House.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

The thing is G.W. wasn't dumb, I mean a lot of things he did were "dumb" (re: evil), but he wasn't actually a total rube. That affect made him go from the gently caress up son of a dynasty to president of the United States and even in our fallen age that's still not an easy thing to do. People would underestimate him a lot and it cost the country.

Paging SedanChair.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

AndNowMax posted:

If JEB runs he's going to be billed as "like W except smart!!"

Seems like a great way to lose the Republican Primary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

That seems to be largely true. The Dumb Rube was an act he learned to succeed in Texas that also worked in national politics. If you look at some of his early debates he's extremely sharp and quick-witted, with a strong command of facts.

He learned real fast that being a sharp-tongued Yalie gets you nowhere in Texas, hence he got some coaching on how to act dumb.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Paging SedanChair.

My narrative's prevailing. :smugdog:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Deteriorata posted:

That seems to be largely true. The Dumb Rube was an act he learned to succeed in Texas that also worked in national politics. If you look at some of his early debates he's extremely sharp and quick-witted, with a strong command of facts.

He learned real fast that being a sharp-tongued Yalie gets you nowhere in Texas, hence he got some coaching on how to act dumb.

I'm going to take the other side of this coin, that W's (legacy) Ivy League education offered him the opportunity to play smart in the business world. Remember that he was the first MBA President?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nixon wasnt particularly intellectually curious but that didnt stop him from being brilliant in his own way (not in any way that really did anyone good, bit still.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOn1AgLJDi4

Sharp and in command of the facts.

Bush lack any intellectual curiosity or rigour whatsoever, which is largely indistinguishable from being actually stupid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OAquinas posted:

Isn't that the upcoming state senator from Tennessee?
No that is Basil Marceaux Dot Com. And don't you forget it!

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bush was very intelligent and competitive. Those are great qualities to have when running for president, not so great for actually being the president though. On the other hand, he was very incurious and lazy when it came to actual policy, and had a total inability to reflect critically on himself in any serious sense. He also liked surrounding himself with "strong decision makers" who were ideologically motivated but arrogant, ignorant, or just straight-up incompetent. His reaction towards his father's defeat in 1992 was basically an angry and dismissive "Stupid fuckers don't know what's good for them" attitude. He's a person who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and has always had a golden parachute no matter how badly he hosed up. This upbringing can create some very confident people but it generally does not tend to create strong critical thinkers or skeptical analysts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOn1AgLJDi4

Sharp and in command of the facts.

Bush lack any intellectual curiosity or rigour whatsoever, which is largely indistinguishable from being actually stupid.

Now answer all the questions he couldn't, without Wikipedia.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Berke Negri posted:

Nixon wasnt particularly intellectually curious

Yes, he was. The man devoured books, quoted political philosophy, and loved pointing out that he was the best educated candidate in the Republican primary in 1968.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

All it will take to rehabilitate the bush name among Republicans is JEB(!) giving a "muh brother" schtick somewhere and people will treat W as the modern Washington out of sheer spite.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SedanChair posted:

You've got me, I can't. I guess I'm not fit to be President of the United States.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

SedanChair posted:

That was 15 years ago

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

menino posted:

That was 15 years ago

Yes exactly? Hence my challenge. It's easy to pretend that you should remember the head of state of every country when you've got the Guide.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You've got me, I can't. I guess I'm not fit to be President of the United States.

So you're dumber than Bush?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

SedanChair posted:

Yes exactly? Hence my challenge. It's easy to pretend that you should remember the head of state of every country when you've got the Guide.

That was 15 years ago. You can't compare current events knowledge when the events are no longer current. You picked the wrong snippet to get back on your hobby horse about.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SedanChair posted:

If the average person on the street doesn't know who the president of Pakistan is then it's not a big deal. If a Presidential candidate doesn't, then it's a different matter.

I want my politicians to know more about world affairs than I do, just like I hope my doctor knows more about anatomy than I do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Standards don't exist in sedanchair's world. If they did he'd try a bit harder with the trolling.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So does this guy have any national political aspirations?

quote:

Gov. John Kitzhaber may have helped save a woman’s life Monday, performing CPR on her until paramedics arrived, his chief spokeswoman confirmed.

The governor was driving to dinner shortly after 5 p.m. near Southwest Main and 13th Avenue when he saw “someone along the edge of the street who seemed to be attempting to resuscitate a woman” lying on the ground, Nkenge Harmon Johnson said in an email to The Oregonian.

The governor ordered his driver to stop, Harmon Johnson said, then “jumped out of the vehicle” and ran to the woman’s aid to begin giving CPR. He directed one of his state police security guards to call paramedics, who took over from Kitzhaber when they arrived.

Is he any good as a Governor, beyond being able to give CPR?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

menino posted:

That was 15 years ago. You can't compare current events knowledge when the events are no longer current. You picked the wrong snippet to get back on your hobby horse about.

I will accept the current answers to those questions.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SedanChair posted:

The Pakistani general was Pervez Musharraf. Hey look I got both names. But I'm also not running for or holding the office of goddamned President of the United States

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If the average person on the street doesn't know who the president of Pakistan is then it's not a big deal. If a Presidential candidate doesn't, then it's a different matter.

I want my politicians to know more about world affairs than I do, just like I hope my doctor knows more about anatomy than I do.

Presidential candidates should at least know who's in charge of every G20 country, plus who's in charge of their economies (treasurer/minister of finance/etc).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about knowing the President of Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Badger of Basra posted:

Paging SedanChair.
Why do you hate America?

W. Bush had a nose for politics but was pretty dumb for a president. Almost all of the "he was actually pretty smart" stories that argue on more than a youtube clip are from dummies and/or contrarians and/or people with obvious motivations. We watched the man try to think on his feet for 8 years, and it was frequently embarrassing. This isn't that complicated.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It doesn't matter how smart Bush may or may not have been, he was probably the closest thing this country has had to a puppet president since Harding.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
If Jeb ran comedy shows would immediately start making a barrage of "new Bush is as dumb as the last Bush" jokes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Taerkar posted:

It doesn't matter how smart Bush may or may not have been, he was probably the closest thing this country has had to a puppet president since Harding.

That is a common criticism of his presidency, and it's valid. A lot of his retinue were his dad's buddies.

His cabinet was scary.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShutteredIn posted:

If Jeb ran comedy shows would immediately start making a barrage of "new Bush is as dumb as the last Bush" jokes.

He isn't blessed with having been born with a silver foot in his mouth. JEB(!) may be evil in all the unique ways that only a conservative can (one of his first campaigns for FL Gov, in the mid 90s, had him giving a :newt:-like talk about work as rehabilitation for criminals a la Angola), but there is no way in hell he can be seen as being as dumb as or dumber than his brother. He's simply too well spoken by far.

Policywise he's the hidden knife to his contemporaries' bared swords. If he survives the primary (a longshot based on his less-lovely qualities being a liability for the conservative base) he'll be a tough candidate to beat simply by coming across sane. That's going to be played as a breath of fresh air or a newly sober abusive spouse. Oh, he talks pretty, maybe we can try electing a conservative again...

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Mitt Romney posted:

I agree. Hillary hasn't proven she can run anything with effectiveness. Her previous campaign was a disaster if you consider their mistakes. It wouldn't surprise me if she brought back on a lot of those same idiots to her 2016 campaign too. Clinton just got done in Jan 2013 paying off her campaign debt to Mark Penn. Their 2008 campaign didn't even realize that delegates were allocated proportionally at some points.

Obama's campaign effectiveness was probably one of the better or the best we will see in our lifetimes. A Hillary Clinton campaign will not even be close in terms of effectiveness and you'll have an even higher percentage of overall money coming from outside GOP sources in 2016.

I'm hoping for a different candidate because I don't think Clinton is a very good bet, especially since the consequence of losing is the chance of having all 3 branches being GOP.

Mark Penn has been pretty well banished from any role in the campaign, and Clinton has already courted several people from the Obama campaign world. Just the addition of Jeremy Bird Mitch Stewart alone from OFA will be huge in bringing their substantial resources to bear, which will make it difficult this time for any would-be upsetter to out-organize her in the Democratic primary, let alone the effect on the general election.

For everything that causes some posters to wring their hands about Clinton's electability (which seems to come from the same delusional mental plane as "Elizabeth Warren 2016"), she has been an important national Democratic figure for over 20 years. Despite being dragged down by some incompetent staff members and dealing with one of the best primary campaigns in modern times, she gave the Obama campaign a significant primary challenge in 2008. Now, with likely the full force of the Democratic party by her side, I see no reason to believe she won't be a formidable foe for anyone on the Republican bench.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 6, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAUXTON posted:

He isn't blessed with having been born with a silver foot in his mouth. JEB(!) may be evil in all the unique ways that only a conservative can (one of his first campaigns for FL Gov, in the mid 90s, had him giving a :newt:-like talk about work as rehabilitation for criminals a la Angola), but there is no way in hell he can be seen as being as dumb as or dumber than his brother. He's simply too well spoken by far.

Policywise he's the hidden knife to his contemporaries' bared swords. If he survives the primary (a longshot based on his less-lovely qualities being a liability for the conservative base) he'll be a tough candidate to beat simply by coming across sane. That's going to be played as a breath of fresh air or a newly sober abusive spouse. Oh, he talks pretty, maybe we can try electing a conservative again...
Being smarter than Dubya is an unimpressively low bar to clear. I'm still waiting to hear some examples of his political deftness and savvy coming from this stint in Florida.

Democrats/liberals have this annoying tic of building up their potential opponents and panicking about them, only to have them evaporate like spilled water on a hot summer day. Remember when post-2008 Sarah Palin was the future of the Republican party that we took lightly at our peril? Remember when Rick Perry was this unstoppable political juggernaut who was probably going to crush Obama in 2012? Remember when Chris Christie was the golden boy for 2016?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

radical meme posted:

Is he any good as a Governor, beyond being able to give CPR?

Kitzhaber is a fairly good governor, and he has a lot of experience since this is his third non-consecutive term. At first he had a reputation for being something of a liberal firebrand, but that got beaten out of him after several fights with out of state conservatives. Since regaining the governorship, Kitzhaber has become more focused on coalition-building (and too conciliatory, in my opinion) and has built a lot of ties with the Oregon business community. Still, he's proven to be a fairly effective governor of a state that is more purple than blue. That said, Oregon is a small state with relatively little money and few electoral votes, and Kitzhaber has little national presence or party connections.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Hillary is getting the gang back together. Oh dear.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

The only one I knew was Musharraf, which I could give Bush a pass on if that quiz was from before 9/11.

e: it was but it was also right after he seized power so that's not too great on Bush's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

That is a common criticism of his presidency, and it's valid. A lot of his retinue were his dad's buddies.

Or Nixon-era legacies, which is hardly better.

• Locked thread