Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So, for those who've now had a few days to play, is it worth buying into now, or should I wait for the full release?

Also, how much would I realistically look to be spending if I want to get a good deck going but also don't mind grinding a bit to build up a good card base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

First campaign is now fully unlocked, with refunds for people who have already unlocked it. Although I just logged in and didn't get anything for it, so maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

The news post about it says they're having to manually do the refunds so they think they'll be done in about a week.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

So, for those who've now had a few days to play, is it worth buying into now, or should I wait for the full release?

Also, how much would I realistically look to be spending if I want to get a good deck going but also don't mind grinding a bit to build up a good card base?

With the first 5 quest campaign now unlocked free it's worth just buying the basic Shire pack to play. Gives enough points to get a character pack or two (or three with a couple days play).

There's not a huge number of cards in the game yet, though. It's still pretty basic in that respect.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I think about it (and the more I play it to unlock poo poo on new characters), the more I loving hate that first quest in the first scenario. You're staring down 10 points of damage (one of the spiders has Stalwart) and about 12 hit points worth of spiders, and Sauron is likely going to poo poo out at least another 2-4 points of damage in spiders, all while you have exactly 0 board position and you probably can't one shot anything unless you get a Dwarven Axe for Gimli (Legolas can also immediately kill the Stalwart spider). Like, holy hell that's an overwhelming assault for what's supposed to be the very first thing new players see. Like being trapped in the orc dungeon isn't as bad as that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s kind of the fun of the game imho is the overwhelming feeling.

I’ve only played the first core set of the normal game though, I never messed with this Focus stuff. Do I bother?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also anyone got any decks to recommend

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also anyone got any decks to recommend

For farming builds (250+ regularly), I've had a lot of success with Arwen/Legolas/Took. You can obviously substitute Gimli for Legolas, but his one point shot helps clear out multiple enemies in a turn and Ranged disables Guard apparently, even if you lose access to Dwarven Axe. You can probably even substitute Aragorn, who is an absolute beast if you get him geared up and Leadership has cards like Guard of the Citadel, Zigil Miner, and Ever Vigilant. Tactics has Spear Wall and Westfold Outrider. Everything else they're sorta similar in, although Tactics has better equipment (Warrior Sword vs. Ranger Blade, for example) and arguably better units, but they're pretty comparable (Round vs. Gondorian Shield, Veteran Axehand vs. Rohirrim Lancer, Warrior Sword vs. Ranger's Blade), and having more expensive things isn't necessarily an issue if you get a Zigil Miner up and running. I'm honestly not sure which is the better spec, but either are viable.

Arwen is MVP in all games since that 3 willpower is super useful and saves a lot of time (almost all of Sauron's obstacles are strength 3), but I don't take much from Lore honestly, besides the Caregiver, Lembas and the Ithielien Lookout. I can give or take Beorn's Hospitality, but it's decent to boost up your score in the final round since the points are based on the absolute number of HP within your heroes (i.e., not HP lost!), but otherwise eh. Lembas I use more for another ready than for the heal.

Took's damage prevention is super useful, plus Spirit has access to a lot of progress obviously. The big part is the threat reduction (which also ties into score!), but Handmaiden and Watchful Peace are useful, with the former being able to take a hit or charge up the Fate meter/progress as necessary. With Arwen, I'm not sure if you need Rhovanian Outriders, but I included 1-2 anyway since I had the spare space. Test of Will/Secret Paths is also super useful in any scenario where you have to "wait" (scenario 4 and 5, especially), since those objectives can be lowered by it and the Woodland Courier. It's also useful as a clutch 2+ progress if you need it. Star Brooch is a PHENOMENAL piece of equipment, especially on Arwen (6 will/turn is huge) or any geared up attacker (6 damage/turn is huge). Aragorn with Stalwart makes him hilariously versatile.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for that. Fate is the thing I was talking about that I never use; should I start using it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks for that. Fate is the thing I was talking about that I never use; should I start using it?

Fate is super useful in most scenarios. Like in the first one, getting 8 fate when you fight the bear thing gives you your own bear that has Stalwart and 3 attack, which means that by itself, it can deal more than half the damage of the objective you're trying to kill. In the second scenario, having 4 fate in the second part is REALLY useful since it gives you a hero back immediately (and lets you keep it for the rest of the scenario). The fourth scenario has a hero full heal at 7 Fate, which is pretty useful since things hit pretty hard and you're taking damage attacking the slug unless you get block or are ranged. The 3 fate bonus to exhaust the next thing you attack is also useful against hte slug, since it generates threat every time it attacks. The other big advantage is that Fate doesn't take up an action, so you can do the fate action and then do your normal action, which is useful in the 5th scenario where there's an ability that reduces an orc's hp to 1, which you can then follow up with a killing blow (especially with ranged).

I ignored Fate my first few runs and now I focus hard on it if there's nothing to progress. Before you travel, always Fate up if there's nothing with Pursue you need to kill.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Also to score high on scenarios I believe you have to pretty much use every Fate ability?

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
I definitely did not post twice, but posting to say that I can't wait for the refund to go through now that they are giving out each scenario for free. I bought them all with my Valor on night one so the hero packs are next up.

sexart fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 1, 2018

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Really not impressed so far. The first scenario is way too difficult on Hard, and Sauron's AI is so laughably bad it should really be even more difficult than it is. He constantly doesn't attack when he has open attacks and instead just passes. WTF is that?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Really not impressed so far. The first scenario is way too difficult on Hard, and Sauron's AI is so laughably bad it should really be even more difficult than it is. He constantly doesn't attack when he has open attacks and instead just passes. WTF is that?

Unfortunately, I'm kinda in the same boat. I actually think the interface and stuff is not bad, and it seems to run pretty smooth but it's just way to difficult imo. Especially for an intro mission. Seems the only real way to make it through is get someone stacked with equipment early, and just mash your way through with them. Whereas if you don't get equipment early, it's painful.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Also you can't swap out a hero for a hero of the same sphere without first removing all of the cards in the deck of that sphere. Huh??

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rand Ecliptic posted:

He constantly doesn't attack when he has open attacks and instead just passes. WTF is that?

A bug in an early access game?

I do think the AI is weird in how inconsistent it is, like the game randomly picks one or something from a group of them. Maybe I notice more because I use Took, but take the first scenario in quest 5, with a troll, a guard with attack 3, and some random 2 attack chaff. After using Took, most times the troll will attack first, but sometimes the 2 attacks and very rarely the 3 will attack.

Similarly, target assignment is also inconsistent, but not really truly random, either. Most of the time, if the AI can kill one of your dudes, they'll take the shot. Other times they'll focus fire on one of your heroes. I haven't noticed if this is dependent on race or whatever.

It's like the AI is assigned a probability of certain behaviors instead of following a logic tree. I'm not sure how to feel about it, since it obviously adds an element of randomness that can cost you a win or points or whatever, but unpredictability is fun too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think the AI does all its attacks first so if you can make it skip for some reason it won't go back to attack with any ready creatures later on.

The first quest is by far the worst designed. You can get absolutely buried in extra spiders and bears if your threat gets even a little out of control (and Sauron has enough treacheries to make that happen).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

A bug in an early access game?

I do think the AI is weird in how inconsistent it is, like the game randomly picks one or something from a group of them. Maybe I notice more because I use Took, but take the first scenario in quest 5, with a troll, a guard with attack 3, and some random 2 attack chaff. After using Took, most times the troll will attack first, but sometimes the 2 attacks and very rarely the 3 will attack.

Similarly, target assignment is also inconsistent, but not really truly random, either. Most of the time, if the AI can kill one of your dudes, they'll take the shot. Other times they'll focus fire on one of your heroes. I haven't noticed if this is dependent on race or whatever.

It's like the AI is assigned a probability of certain behaviors instead of following a logic tree. I'm not sure how to feel about it, since it obviously adds an element of randomness that can cost you a win or points or whatever, but unpredictability is fun too.

One of the snake enemies has an ability that states it targets your guy with the lowest health remaining, which is odd when little else about targeting is really established.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sassassin posted:

I think the AI does all its attacks first so if you can make it skip for some reason it won't go back to attack with any ready creatures later on.

Not necessarily true, since the AI definitely does things like summon reinforcements, and then subsequently attack with said reinforcements. The AI will also do things like hold back a Guard unit, then if you attack into it towards the end of the round, it would (usually?) attack back. I'm really not sure what dictates their behavior.

I think the first quest would be fine if they reduce the spider threat spawn to like, 2 and maybe get rid of one of the 2/4 spiders from the first scenario. I think the intent was to force players to figure out that you're supposed to just pick up Bilbo's sword and run through to the next, more relaxed objective, but it's still a rude as hell awakening. One thing that they don't really play with is having the higher/lower difficulties effect the threat meter or even the decks Sauron has, instead of just giving him 4 resources instead of 3. Lot of design space there if they want it (or I guess they can do this to expand into the Nightmare difficulty).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What exactly are the differences between difficulty levels anyway? Just resources?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

What exactly are the differences between difficulty levels anyway? Just resources?

As far as I can tell. Also Easy prevents the Palantir unlock on heroes and Hard gives you an extra 50 VP.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Got my 12k refund for the 3 quests I bought. Wake me up when there's new heroes available.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In Campaign mode passage through the marshes, do you have Gandalfs Delay/ The Ring Draws Them in play if you have earned it in the first few missions?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

In Campaign mode passage through the marshes, do you have Gandalfs Delay/ The Ring Draws Them in play if you have earned it in the first few missions?

Gandalf's Delay starts in play, The Ring draw them is shuffled into the encounter deck iirc.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Right bit do they stay through the entire campaign excluding the Aragorn quests?+

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Baron Porkface posted:

Right bit do they stay through the entire campaign excluding the Aragorn quests?+

Quests will say, on their campaign mode card, what burdens to not play with for each quest based on their set icon. IIRC Gandalf's Delay is the same set as The Ring Draws Them, and they're only included in quests with Frodo/The One Ring. So the Aragorn quests should say to remove them. But that's from memory so I could be wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

You get told to remove cards from the campaign pool at certain points in the setup for quests.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Been playing LOTR LCG Digital, like it, but see it is also coming to switch now? Did not expect that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free cards for LOTR digital coming in the next month (for those in early access):

https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1688177094860574533

Giant Slug also got nerfed so that it can't get attachments, thank God.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Giant Slug also got nerfed so that it can't get attachments, thank God.

Cowards.

I hate the card draw change on Hard. Fighting my own deck to keep cards in my hand is the most boring part of the tabletop game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A part of me wonders if Hard should just be a bunch of various modifiers (that would adjust the VP rewards afterwards), so, e.g., Sauron with 4 resources, reduced card draw, lower threat thresholds, tougher enemies, Sauron nightmare deck, etc.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 16, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Just picked up the shire or whatever pack to give it a go, but I keep getting critical server errors. How common has this been? I've just been playing the tutorial on repeat in the background for the past few hours because I haven't completed it without a server crash and every time that happens it starts over from the beginning.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hauki posted:

Just picked up the shire or whatever pack to give it a go, but I keep getting critical server errors. How common has this been? I've just been playing the tutorial on repeat in the background for the past few hours because I haven't completed it without a server crash and every time that happens it starts over from the beginning.

Alright well, not sure what was going on earlier but it seems to be sorted now.

Is there any point to saving palantir views or should I just burn them as soon as I get them?
Also drat crafting individual cards is expensive, I'm kinda eyeing that legolas pack though for another hero to play around with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hauki posted:

Is there any point to saving palantir views or should I just burn them as soon as I get them?

On the one hand, doing it now (maybe) gives you VP to get stuff. On the other hand, if you have nothing but Rare and Legendary cards left, you'll only get Rare and Legendary cards. I.e., it's "better" to just buy out Commons with VP and then Palantir the rarer cards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

On the one hand, doing it now (maybe) gives you VP to get stuff. On the other hand, if you have nothing but Rare and Legendary cards left, you'll only get Rare and Legendary cards. I.e., it's "better" to just buy out Commons with VP and then Palantir the rarer cards.

Only if you want all the cards. A lot of them aren't worth bothering with even now when the pool is so small. Grinding for the commons feels like a waste of time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Warning: FFI are changing the economy so that you can't use valor points to buy expansions (only real money) and loving over anyone who bought in at the higher tiers with "we can't talk specifics yet" bullshit about what they might receive instead.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sassassin posted:

Warning: FFI are changing the economy so that you can't use valor points to buy expansions (only real money) and loving over anyone who bought in at the higher tiers with "we can't talk specifics yet" bullshit about what they might receive instead.

As lamentable as it is, I can see why they would gravitate away from f2p for a non-competitive game. As is, there's really no reason to throw money into the game, whereas games like Hearthstone and MTGA pit you up against other players with likely better, more finer tuned decks to motivate putting money into it. People are going to whine pretty hard about the game no longer being free, but like, they need to make money. Like just port over the LCG (at maybe a reduced cost since they don't have to deal with physical product), add that co-op mode, and people will throw money into it.

I'm not even sure why they're bothering with the whole Valor Point system, honestly.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GrandpaPants posted:

As lamentable as it is, I can see why they would gravitate away from f2p for a non-competitive game. As is, there's really no reason to throw money into the game, whereas games like Hearthstone and MTGA pit you up against other players with likely better, more finer tuned decks to motivate putting money into it. People are going to whine pretty hard about the game no longer being free, but like, they need to make money. Like just port over the LCG (at maybe a reduced cost since they don't have to deal with physical product), add that co-op mode, and people will throw money into it.

I'm not even sure why they're bothering with the whole Valor Point system, honestly.

I was waiting to hear a bit more about how the game was shaping up before I dove in. Do we know yet with this change how much it would cost roughly to set up a decent deck and get a good, say, 20 hours of gameplay?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

I was waiting to hear a bit more about how the game was shaping up before I dove in. Do we know yet with this change how much it would cost roughly to set up a decent deck and get a good, say, 20 hours of gameplay?

I have 19 hours played in it. Not sure how, really, there's only one 5 quest campaign.

I bought the cheapest founder pack and two hero packs (which are now going to be given out to all founders for free so well-played, crooks, enjoy my extra £3).

GrandpaPants posted:

People are going to whine pretty hard about the game no longer being free, but like, they need to make money.

A lot of the whining is people who bought the expensive founder pack because it came with lots of valor points, and they're now waaaay less valuable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sassassin posted:

lot of the whining is people who bought the expensive founder pack because it came with lots of valor points, and they're now waaaay less valuable.

Yeah that's pretty fair. I'm basically sitting on a bunch of valor after getting the cheapest pack and I guess I can make a lot of gently caress around decks? I hope they just give the higher founders the next round of heroes and/or scenarios.

I also have 20 some odd hours into the game, but I also unlocked everything there originally was to unlock, so a lot of that was just replaying certain scenarios using the different heroes to unlock their individual scenario unlocks. I think it'll probably take 3 or so hours to beat everything with a given deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
So it sounds like the cheapest founder's pack is the way to go. What's the ETA on the next campaign being released?