Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

THC posted:

the other day i was in a headshop and the guy showed me a vaporizer that is controlled wirelessly with an iPhone app

Smythe posted:

and that man ... was jonny290

goddamit beaten to the punch snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my vape has a motion sensor inside so it knows to turn off if it's not being used and I thought that was overengineered

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PleasureKevin posted:

actually all those smart home things seem good to me.

even the thermostat, since my GF can just not stop loving with the thermostat. I'd just program it to undo whatever she does when she looks away.

but so far it seems like a lot of wasted potential if it's just " a INSERT-APPLIANCES-HERE with an iPhone app "

did you tell her you lost your job yet

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
fishmech did nothing wrong

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

qirex posted:

kitchen scale that won't work without the ipad companion app

We used to have a scale in the warehouse at work which needed a computer to work.

Like, it had no place to plug in a wallwart, no batteries, and it had to take power from USB and output the results directly into your shipping program of choice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

THC posted:

I had been considering nest thermostats for a while because my apartment is very inefficient and leaks heat like crazy and if I forget to turn it off in the morning it wastes tons of energy. but hearing that they crash and freeze has put me off the idea

get a $20 seven day programmable thermostat. problem solved.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

did you tell her you lost your job yet

yeah she was fine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
a programmable washing machine or dishwasher would be cool except i have to load the machine anyway so there's not really any time or effort saved

a thermometer is probably the best case scenario of "smartness" actually (the only other thing would be like motion sensors for when you enter a room for lights but that's not really "smart")

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i wouldnt really want one but someone explained to me why he liked the nest thermostat and it was basically because he found normal programmable thermostats complicated to program and nest is easier to use? also he has it set up to turn on the heat when he leaves work so his place is already warm when he gets home i guess. idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the only smart home device i'd want is a speaker in the kitchen so i can listen to music when im cooking (i already do this part) but it would also have voice recognition so i could go "hey what's the next step in this recipe?" and "set a timer for the potatoes for 20 minutes" and "how many grams are in a tablespoon of butter?"

that would be pretty nice because i do all those things now with my phone but i feel bad touching my phone with dirty cooking hands

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah but those aren't cool and pleasantly designed

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

the only smart home device i'd want is a speaker in the kitchen so i can listen to music when im cooking (i already do this part) but it would also have voice recognition so i could go "hey what's the next step in this recipe?" and "set a timer for the potatoes for 20 minutes" and "how many grams are in a tablespoon of butter?"

that would be pretty nice because i do all those things now with my phone but i feel bad touching my phone with dirty cooking hands

get that new amazon thing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

fart simpson posted:

plugged in iPhone, Hey Siri and a UE Boom

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hmm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

can either of those tell me the next step in a recipe?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

plugged in iPhone, Hey Siri and a UE Boom

error; siri doesnt work for poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*man with huge tangles of fail wires, covered in flour and egg yolks* SIRI PLEASE... PLEASe... I NEED TO KNOW

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

trip report:

quote:

hey siri, how many grams are in a tablespoon of butter?

siri: i'm on it... here's what i found on the web for how many grams are in a tablespoon of butter *list of google results*
yeah thanks for the suggestion, thc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

can either of those tell me the next step in a recipe?

just keep it open on your ipad/laptop or print it out I guess?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well if you leave out the "of butter" it'll tell you how much a tbsp of water weighs v:shobon:v

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its ok ill just wait patiently for my dream product to arrive in 10 years

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

You'll just get yelled at to fix the thermostat all the time as no one will want to touch it or just leave override on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

THC posted:

well if you leave out the "of butter" it'll tell you how much a tbsp of water weighs v:shobon:v

works for me wontfix

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ok I got it

Siri what is the density of butter
"0.96 grams per cubic centimeter"

lol

there, got it. you just have to know how to talk to her.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:eyepop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

THC posted:

you just have to know how to talk to her.
yosposter problem isolated

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm the 3% battery drain in 6 minutes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

THC posted:

ok I got it

Siri what is the density of butter
"0.96 grams per cubic centimeter"

lol

there, got it. you just have to know how to talk to her.

computer search systems sensitive to syntax, who would have guessed?

also lol apple probably is seeing a spike in people asking how much butter weighs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this isn't consistent though. you can ask "how much does a tablespoon of butter weigh in grams" but you can't ask "how many grams are in a tablespoon of butter" but you have to ask "how many grams are in a cup of sugar" but you can't ask "how much does a cup of sugar weigh" and there's probably more inconsistencies i havent found yet

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I think if you use the word "mass" you'll avoid those ambiguities

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you might be right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what is the mass of one cup of sugar?

checking on that... the answer is about 376 grams.

what is the mass of one cup of flour?

checking... the answer is about 4.22 ounces.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

theadder posted:

chrome is v bad

what do you expect from a company who's idea of making a browser was literally pressing ctrl-c + ctrl-v after seeing Opera

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

what do you expect from a company who's idea of making a browser was literally pressing ctrl-c + ctrl-v after seeing Opera

ROFL

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

fart simpson posted:

what is the mass of one cup of sugar?

checking on that... the answer is about 376 grams.

what is the mass of one cup of flour?

checking... the answer is about 4.22 ounces.
i got grams on the second try. on the first try it binged the question for me lol

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Mister Macys posted:

stupidest thing i ever saw in my whole life.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Wootman posted:

stupidest thing i ever saw in my whole life.

don't

sign

yuopr

postss!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

zen death robot posted:

i tried literally doing this and nothing happened so i think ur full of poo poo pal

obviously ur not a programmer :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

what actual problem do smart whatevers theoretically solve? the reasons I've heard seem too absurd even for a TV infomercial "there has to be a better way!" segment.

collecting customer data

• Locked thread