Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

So my phone is connected to my Google and work Exchange accounts. Whenever I add a new contact, it seems to send it to Exchange. It's not a work phone, so I want it to synch to Google Contacts. Is there a switch for that somewhere?

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Scroll down to CONTACTS and change the default account to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Updated to 8.1.3 and for some reason all my music re-synced (not a ton of music on my iPhone, ~5GB). Afterwards, a bunch of album art doesn't show. Deleted, re--synced, it's all "manually managed" for what it's worth. Still no album art (on selected albums, seemingly without rhyme or reason). Solutions?

Also, I posted this a long time ago, never got an answer or solution: My iTunes shows like 5GB of photo data on my iPhone, with roughly double the amount of photos that are actually on the device (this includes "recently deleted", so we're talking about a ton of phantom photos). Anything?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Space Racist posted:

is the Spigen bumper case the preferred bumper for a 6, or is there some other model I should look into?

All bumpers are essentially the same unless they're made out of aluminum. In which case, they are worse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

So please please please let your phone drop below 20-25% before recharging it and then unplug. I am sure we all have anecdotal evidence of how the above isn't true but that is from Apple and I have seen this poo poo more often than not.

Where does Apple say that? Or are you talking about the 500 cycles thing?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Endless Mike posted:

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Scroll down to CONTACTS and change the default account to Google.

Nice, thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Where does Apple say that? Or are you talking about the 500 cycles thing?

I really wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Whole lot of idiocy regarding charging and cycles in that post.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I really wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Whole lot of idiocy regarding charging and cycles in that post.

It's true that you'll get more cycles out of a lithium-ion battery if you keep it between 20 and 80% charged versus charging 0-100% or 90-100% exclusively.

If you plan on keeping your phone for like five years it might matter? Otherwise, who cares.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It's true that you'll get more cycles out of a lithium-ion battery if you keep it between 20 and 80% charged versus charging 0-100% or 90-100% exclusively.

If you plan on keeping your phone for like five years it might matter? Otherwise, who cares.

Right but the charging circuitry (should) already take care of that (well, except for the charging from 0% which isn't really 0%, because then your battery is unusable). The 0-100 you see on your phone is not a real 0-100. And 20-100 is not the same as 60-100 as far as eating into your charging cycle.If you do a 60-100 and then 40-100 on Li-ion, that's 1 charging cycle, not 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Right but the charging circuitry (should) already take care of that (well, except for the charging from 0% which isn't really 0%, because then your battery is unusable). The 0-100 you see on your phone is not a real 0-100. And 20-100 is not the same as 60-100 as far as eating into your charging cycle.If you do a 60-100 and then 40-100 on Li-ion, that's 1 charging cycle, not 2.

Not what I'm talking about. A ten percent discharge ten times (or two 50% discharges, etc.) is one cycle, yes. You get more of those cycles if the battery is kept between 20-80% of its capacity than if the battery's full capacity (say, 10-100%) is used regularly, or if the battery is kept at the extreme ends of its capacity, so like 5-20% or 80-100%. Depth of discharge and charge level make a significant difference:

The regulator doesn't take care of this because the user might actually need the full capacity of her battery in a day, and it would be terrible to janitor it so that she has to tell her phone to stop a charge at 80% today but not tomorrow.

\/\/ Man, the iPad's resolution is ridiculous. Those are just cropped screenshots.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 3, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

[timg]

edit: thx

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

flosofl posted:

This is all from Apple. Ha.

Maybe I didn't sound pro-Apple enough. Thats ok.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 3, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

This is all from Apple. Ha.

Maybe I didn't sound pro-Apple enough. Thats ok.

Where is that information from? Where can I read it?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

So please please please let your phone drop below 20-25% before recharging it and then unplug.

This is all from Apple.

:confused:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The iPhone Thread: Your Battery is Smarter Than the Posters in This Thread

\/ holy poo poo man

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 3, 2015

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Batteries are consumable per Apple, rightfully so. Per the policy of Verizon, once a mobile diagnostic is run and the battery is labeled "consumed" it is not covered by a warranty. The mobile diagnostic tool used is one from Apple. If you called them and they ran one, it would be the same thing, although a little simplified. So that is what determines if something is "consumed". The phone has to keep track of the cycles internally I believe but there has to be some variables somewhere. If a diagnostic says the battery test "failed" then that is a defect and replaceable. Once it is determined one way or the other, it cannot be disputed. This is anecdotal, but before November, I never saw "consumed", just fails. Now I never see fails but just consumed. I found that very odd and it makes for some very difficult discussions. "Yes I know your 5s is less than a year old, but it shows your battery is consumed, your battery is only gauranteed blah blah blah".

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

At 500 cycles, per apple, the battery will only last "up to" 80%. This is important to me personally because of the sheer volume of calls relating to "I have to charge my phone more!" This is an incredibly difficult thing to position to someone and not have them hate you.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

If your battery is "consumed" no one will touch it with a warranty but you can have it replace by Apple for $79. Consumed is a big mystery and trying to recall from memory of what I read last week is that it is 1000 cycles tops. The 500 is just to reflect that, like ALL BATTERIES (I <3 aPpLe), it's potency will lower over time. But, like I pointed out to begin with, it shouldn't matter for most.

These are things most people do not know that I get screamed at on a daily basis about, while trying to help people with technical problems with phones.

Edit: The battery cycles could be stored on Apple's end since part of the new phone setup is allowing apple to retrieve data.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 3, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
All of a sudden, I am unable to send iMessages to certain contacts, and only get replies from their Apple IDs/emails as iMessages. The texts deliver fine but it doesnt even recognize them as iMessage users.

I tried toggling on and off and deleting the text thread. No dice. Anyone seen this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should give half a poo poo about any of this if it just boils down to "get a new battery for $80 if yours starts sucking after a few years"

Maybe that's what you should tell the people who keep calling you

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should give half a poo poo about any of this if it just boils down to "get a new battery for $80 if yours starts sucking after a few years"

That's the gist of it. Save your half a turd.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Maybe that's what you should tell the people who keep calling you

Hahahaha.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Cozmosis posted:

All of a sudden, I am unable to send iMessages to certain contacts, and only get replies from their Apple IDs/emails as iMessages. The texts deliver fine but it doesnt even recognize them as iMessage users.

I tried toggling on and off and deleting the text thread. No dice. Anyone seen this?

The last time I saw this, they had actually switched to android on me :)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I didn't get an answer to this in the AppleTV thread, so I'll try here:

Lazyhound posted:

Is it normal for there to be no audio when playing video podcasts at 1.5x/2x speeds from an iOS device via AirPlay?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would I ever deal with my carrier on anything to do with my iPhone beyond *maybe* the SIM card not working? I'm pretty sure Apple Stores can even deal with that, and the closest corporate carrier stores are further away.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

MrBond posted:

The last time I saw this, they had actually switched to android on me :)

These are definitely not android users. I'm getting replies as iMessages direct from the phones but labeled as a separate thread with Apple ID emails only.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
This might be a stretch but I'm not sure where to ask: is there an app for iOS that can look up people's Facebook based on facial recognition? I'm not sure how the API or whatever works on FB's end but I know they can auto detect who is who in a picture and suggest tags. I didn't see anything in the AppStore and the first few pages of Google didn't return anything promising.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Why would I ever deal with my carrier on anything to do with my iPhone beyond *maybe* the SIM card not working? I'm pretty sure Apple Stores can even deal with that, and the closest corporate carrier stores are further away.

For anything sold by a carrier that's not an iPhone, the carrier acts as the point of service for warranty and such. So for people who are used to that, not everyone realizes you have other options.

Hell, it even comes up every so often in this very thread that someone asks whether they can use the Genius Bar even if they originally bought the phone from Verizon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're looking for a medium-protection case, the Zerolemon Razor Armor is $10 on Amazon with coupon ZEROLEM3

Similar design to the Spigen Armor, reviews are just as good/better.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Drunk Orc posted:

This might be a stretch but I'm not sure where to ask: is there an app for iOS that can look up people's Facebook based on facial recognition? I'm not sure how the API or whatever works on FB's end but I know they can auto detect who is who in a picture and suggest tags. I didn't see anything in the AppStore and the first few pages of Google didn't return anything promising.

I doubt FB is going to open up their facial recognition API for general use in other apps. Even if someone found a way, I don't think Apple will let it onto the app store considering how much they are trying to emphasize user privacy. There is a developer making an app called NameTag that sounds like what you're looking for, but it's currently only for Google Glass, and even they won't let it onto their store. Good luck you creepy stalker.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I doubt FB is going to open up their facial recognition API for general use in other apps. Even if someone found a way, I don't think Apple will let it onto the app store considering how much they are trying to emphasize user privacy. There is a developer making an app called NameTag that sounds like what you're looking for, but it's currently only for Google Glass, and even they won't let it onto their store. Good luck you creepy stalker.

Sometimes it just helps to know a thing or two about a girl before you try to have an awkward rear end conversation. (I've always sucked at small talk!) I'll look into this. thanks!!! :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Drunk Orc posted:

Sometimes it just helps to know a thing or two about a girl before you try to have an awkward rear end conversation. (I've always sucked at small talk!) I'll look into this. thanks!!! :)
:goonsay:

Amazing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

wtf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Holds up iPhone in direction of girl at bar*

"So, I see you work at a law firm. What are your thoughts on personal privacy laws?"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Orc posted:

No.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If you have a facebook you are essentially voluntarily divulging facts about yourself to the public. What's the big deal? This way I've got a jump on other guys that are trying to talk to this girl because I actually put some time and effort into getting to know her.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey baby I pre-stalked you. No reason to give me your number, I already have it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well that's kind of hosed. How old are you, Drunk Orc?

\/\/\/ :stonk:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 3, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey baby I pre-stalked you. No reason to give me your number, I already have it.

Well I don't know about that, but like knowing where she works her night job so you can "coincidentally" decide to stop there for a drink is pretty slick.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Drunk Orc posted:

Well I don't know about that, but like knowing where she works her night job so you can "coincidentally" decide to stop there for a drink is pretty slick.

No, it's creepy as gently caress. Why don't you just ask her what her job is using words?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drunk Orc posted:

Ted Bundy agrees with you.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Super Dude posted:

No, it's creepy as gently caress. Why don't you just ask her what her job is using words?

That's pretty forgettable and happens every day for her probably. The guy who she kinda recognizes that unexpectedly happens to stop by her work one night and hits it off really well after he buys her a drink or two is so much smoother and will seem more "natural".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drunk Orc posted:

That's pretty forgettable and happens every day for her probably. The guy who she kinda recognizes that unexpectedly happens to stop by her work one night and hits it off really well after he buys her a drink or two is so much smoother and will seem more "natural".

/r/redpill is over on Reddit if you want to keep digging this hole deeper with the pickup artist strategies.