Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How's the amazon card if you make a lot of amazon purchases? 5% sounds nice, no yearly fee, flat 2% back on gas 1% back on everything else

current cards are DiscoverIt (rotating 5% back each quarter, 1% otherwise) and Quicksilver (1.5% everything)

Definitely worth it for Amazon. They also sent me this offer which I have been taking full advantage of:

angryrobots posted:

Just got a (targeted I assume) offer from Chase for my Amazon card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Buying Amazon Gift Cards with a Blue Cash Preferred for 6% is the only method I'm aware of for beating the Amazon (Store) Card and it's not really worth the extra work and only beneficially if you otherwise spend enough on groceries a year to justify the AF over the 3% Blue Cash card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Girbot posted:

Buying Amazon Gift Cards with a Blue Cash Preferred for 6% is the only method I'm aware of for beating the Amazon (Store) Card and it's not really worth the extra work and only beneficially if you otherwise spend enough on groceries a year to justify the AF over the 3% Blue Cash card.

Additionally, paying with gift cards means you forfeit several credit card protections/benefits (extended warranty, return protection, etc.).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Oh, I guess you could also use Cash Apps weekly 10% off at grocery stores (Max $7.50 reward) to buy $75 in gift cards a week. If you spend regularly enough at Amazon to justify just having a balance sitting in your account ( ^^^ and don't care about CC protections) that's actually a great return.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Girbot posted:

Oh, I guess you could also use Cash Apps weekly 10% off at grocery stores (Max $7.50 reward) to buy $75 in gift cards a week. If you spend regularly enough at Amazon to justify just having a balance sitting in your account ( ^^^ and don't care about CC protections) that's actually a great return.

I’ve been using the $7.50 every week from Cash App on groceries and it’s been super. Some of the better discounts fell off this week though, like the discounts on XBL and PSN.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
How does the CashApp cashback work? Would it work at Costco too?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Load cash into app if you don't have a balance > Select Boost > Use Cash App Debit Card > Instant rebate (possibly even takes it off the price*)

*I've never tried using it with a balance between the original cost and the cost after rebate. But it's seemingly instant. Transaction history shows it as a single transaction for the rebated price vs full price followed by a separate refund.

Don't know about Costco.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 16, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

astral posted:

(edit: I reread the post and it specifies AA) You can definitely do a product change with it, keep your old account etc. but change the program associated with it. Alternatively, there is a no-annual-fee version of the AA card you could change to; this would let you keep the old one open (and make it easy to keep your miles active by spending $1 every so often), and then you could open a new card with the program you prefer.

Miles, real miles (United, American, Delta, etc.) , are stored with the airline and often are subject to an expiration policy. Fake miles (any non-specific-airline-branded miles, typically) are stored with the bank.

thanks for the advice. transferring to the no fee version of the card and then opening a new card sounds ideal, i hadn't realized that was possible

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Girbot posted:

Load cash into app if you don't have a balance > Select Boost > Use Cash App Debit Card > Instant rebate (possibly even takes it off the price*)

*I've never tried using it with a balance between the original cost and the cost after rebate. But it's seemingly instant. Transaction history shows it as a single transaction for the rebated price vs full price followed by a separate refund.

Don't know about Costco.
That sounds simple enough. 10% back seems pretty ambitious.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Effective February 19, 2021, the following changes will be made to the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card:
  • :siren:Cash rewards will expire at the end of the calendar month 36 months after the billing cycle in which they were earned.:siren:
  • Automatic monthly cash rewards redemptions will be discontinued.
  • :siren:The one-time $25 Cash+ Bonus for redemptions of $100 or more will be discontinued.:siren:
  • The minimum redemption required to redeem for a U.S. Bank Visa Rewards Card increases from $20 to $25.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

literally this big posted:

How does the CashApp cashback work? Would it work at Costco too?

You load it onto your CashApp card in the app (they give you an instant card number to use in Apple Pay or Google Pay while you wait for the plastic). I’m not sure if it would work at CostCo, though. Related, the Venmo debit card, not to be confused with their credit card, has a $20 back reward at Costco.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

im on the net me boys posted:

You load it onto your CashApp card in the app (they give you an instant card number to use in Apple Pay or Google Pay while you wait for the plastic). I’m not sure if it would work at CostCo, though. Related, the Venmo debit card, not to be confused with their credit card, has a $20 back reward at Costco.

Is the card Visa or Mastercard?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

literally this big posted:

Is the card Visa or Mastercard?

CashApp is Visa, Venmo is... MasterCard? Costco only takes visa so I’m not sure how you’re supposed to redeem the $20?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Last month US Bank had a signup bonus if you a) made some qualifying deposits, and b) signed up for paperless statements.

Long story short I made the deposits but forgot to sign up for paperless.

I've put in a request for a waiver but I was wondering if anyone had something similar happen to them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How's the amazon card if you make a lot of amazon purchases? 5% sounds nice, no yearly fee, flat 2% back on gas 1% back on everything else

current cards are DiscoverIt (rotating 5% back each quarter, 1% otherwise) and Quicksilver (1.5% everything)

It's a solid card. Just use it for Amazon (and Whole Foods if you ever shop there) and make sure to cash in the rewards as a deposit or statement credit rather than using them to pay for something on Amazon (which costs you rewards points you would have earned on that purchase).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

thanks for the advice. transferring to the no fee version of the card and then opening a new card sounds ideal, i hadn't realized that was possible

I don't think the Citi Doublecash has a signup bonus, so if you want that, I'd product change your Citi AA card to it and then signup for the no-fee Citi AA card separately (which has a small signup bonus, but hey, free money is free money.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a solid card. Just use it for Amazon (and Whole Foods if you ever shop there) and make sure to cash in the rewards as a deposit or statement credit rather than using them to pay for something on Amazon (which costs you rewards points you would have earned on that purchase).

Yeah, I almost never use the points directly other than to redeem, didn't consider that.

Wholefoods, rarely. There's one in my state but it's a hike. Nice stuff tho.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

im on the net me boys posted:

CashApp is Visa, Venmo is... MasterCard? Costco only takes visa so I’m not sure how you’re supposed to redeem the $20?

Venmo is MasterCard and Costco only takes Visa.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

astral posted:

Effective February 19, 2021, the following changes will be made to the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card:
  • :siren:Cash rewards will expire at the end of the calendar month 36 months after the billing cycle in which they were earned.:siren:
  • Automatic monthly cash rewards redemptions will be discontinued.
  • :siren:The one-time $25 Cash+ Bonus for redemptions of $100 or more will be discontinued.:siren:
  • The minimum redemption required to redeem for a U.S. Bank Visa Rewards Card increases from $20 to $25.

It’s great how obvious these are about making it less likely people will redeem the awards they earned. Hope some MBA got a promotion.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

smackfu posted:

It’s great how obvious these are about making it less likely people will redeem the awards they earned. Hope some MBA got a promotion.

They're adding real-time rewards, though: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/real-time-rewards-coming-to-u-s-bank-cash-25-bonus-ending/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also adding rewards redemption via their app. The US Bank website and app are by far the worst of all the banks I deal with. It's the only one that fails to load the full site on a mobile device browser even if you force desktop version. Tried Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and Edge. Must be something about Android it doesn't like.

I don't think I've ever done the one time +$25 redemption, need to figure that out before it goes away.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I was kind of annoyed when I got this email, but after thinking about it, it doesn't really affect me. The $25 bonus only applied the first time you used it for a $100+ redemption, which for me was years ago. Expirations don't matter because I get statement credits often enough that rewards don't sit unclaimed for very long. The minimum redemption is a meh but I usually wait until I have at least $50 to do redemptions anyway.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Hi thread!

I have three open cards:

Citi Dividend World MasterCard (13 year old account)
Used mostly for recurring bills and subscriptions. This is an old card with 1% cash back and 5% categories (sometimes nice categories).

Amex Blue Cash Everyday (4 year old account)
Used for groceries, gas, big purchases, etc. My "main card".

B&H PayBoo (1-2 year old account)
Used for B&H purchases (only thing it works at), instant 6.25% rebate on tax. I buy items regularly from B&H and they ship super fast to me.

All my other stuff (car loans, etc) is now paid off, so these are my only open credit accounts. My FICO is currently 785 (generally hovers between 780 and 795) as reported by Citi; VantageScore 3.0 hovers in low 800s (currently 802).

I am thinking about opening another card -- either an Apple Card or perhaps some kind of Visa? I'm only interested in cash back cards, not points. My uses are generally well-covered by the above, except for:

- I have nothing with 0% foreign transaction fees. Amex is 2.7%, Citi is 3%. This is annoying during (relatively rare) international travel and when buying things from other countries (more common).

- I have no Visa credit cards. This is annoying at Costco where I have to use a debit card. I haven't run into any other places where MC isn't accepted, but perhaps they are out there?

I do use ApplePay regularly, am an iPhone/Apple Watch user, and I'm buying an M1 MacBook Air this week (which led me to think of opening an Apple Card).

But I also may be applying for a mortgage sometime over the next few years, and I'm not sure I want to lower the average age of my accounts further? I like savings, but I also like simplicity (which is why I'm a cash back only kinda person) and saving time. I'm also a bit anti-Amazon so I'm not sure I want one of their cards.

So, what do y'all think?

No new card? Apple Card? Some cash back Visa with no foreign transaction fees?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Apple Card, in addition to being very cool and sexy, has no foreign transaction fees

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Is there any benefit to using it to make a big purchase on their site (which I may need to do soon)? It doesn't seem like it but I figured there'd be some incentive besides 0% APR installments.

I don't use those kinds of arrangements that often so I might not be seeing how good of a benefit that is, but I usually expect there to be some sort of x% back or points or something on a branded card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

But I also may be applying for a mortgage sometime over the next few years, and I'm not sure I want to lower the average age of my accounts further? I like savings, but I also like simplicity (which is why I'm a cash back only kinda person) and saving time. I'm also a bit anti-Amazon so I'm not sure I want one of their cards.

The way I see it, you should do a couple of things:

• Figure out if your grocery spend merits an upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. There are often nice upgrade offers that show up in your account and/or amex offers area where you can upgrade and spend like $1k and get $250 back, which by itself would cover the annual fee and then some. Do note the terms about not downgrading again right away - plan to keep it upgraded for at least a year.
  • Sign up for a 2% cash back card to improve your baseline cash back. The Citi Double Cash used to be one of the best of these, but after they slashed the other benefits I can't recommend it over one of the other ones: Fidelity (Visa), Paypal (MC), SoFi (MC), etc.

I wouldn't bother with the Apple card. Unless something has changed, you needed to use Apple Pay to get the 2% back, making it useless for many/most internet purchases or any in-person location that didn't accept contactless (though, thanks to the pandemic, this has gotten a little better at least).

If you aren't getting a mortgage in the next 1-2 years, absolutely go for it; get a few cards if you want. If you are getting a mortgage in the next 1-2 years, a single card probably won't make much of a difference. Just maybe don't sign up for a Capital One card, which hard pulls all 3 bureaus.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Is there any benefit to using it to make a big purchase on their site (which I may need to do soon)? It doesn't seem like it but I figured there'd be some incentive besides 0% APR installments.

I don't use those kinds of arrangements that often so I might not be seeing how good of a benefit that is, but I usually expect there to be some sort of x% back or points or something on a branded card.

Apple Card provides 3% cash back on purchases from Apple

astral posted:

The way I see it, you should do a couple of things:

• Figure out if your grocery spend merits an upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. There are often nice upgrade offers that show up in your account and/or amex offers area where you can upgrade and spend like $1k and get $250 back, which by itself would cover the annual fee and then some. Do note the terms about not downgrading again right away - plan to keep it upgraded for at least a year.
  • Sign up for a 2% cash back card to improve your baseline cash back. The Citi Double Cash used to be one of the best of these, but after they slashed the other benefits I can't recommend it over one of the other ones: Fidelity (Visa), Paypal (MC), SoFi (MC), etc.

I wouldn't bother with the Apple card. Unless something has changed, you needed to use Apple Pay to get the 2% back, making it useless for many/most internet purchases or any in-person location that didn't accept contactless (though, thanks to the pandemic, this has gotten a little better at least).

If you aren't getting a mortgage in the next 1-2 years, absolutely go for it; get a few cards if you want. If you are getting a mortgage in the next 1-2 years, a single card probably won't make much of a difference. Just maybe don't sign up for a Capital One card, which hard pulls all 3 bureaus.

Thanks - this is good info.

I just missed a Blue Cash Preferred offer, so I suppose I'll wait for the next one to come around. I checked a couple years back and I was just below the 'worth it' line, but this year with the pandemic I spent much more on groceries and that pattern may stick around.

The Fidelity card looks nice for my needs (Visa and 2% cash back), but does have a 1% foreign transaction fee. Still a lot better than the ~3% on my current cards, I suppose :)

It's hard to say exactly when I might take out a mortgage, but likely closer to the "no sooner than 1 year, more likely in 2 years" timeframe.

With my current 780-805 score, I suppose I'm hoping that another card (or two?) would not drop me to a lower mortgage tier. My average open account age is only 6 years right now which seems like the thing I'm risking most with new cards, though I'm not sure how much that counts. Ideally I would be happy to have another couple of cards to cover my bases (e.g. Apple Card for 0% foreign transaction, Fidelity for base cash back and Visa) but that wouldn't be worth it at all if it cost me, say, +0.5% interest on a mortgage.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

admiraldennis posted:

Apple Card provides 3% cash back on purchases from Apple

Thanks - this is good info.

I just missed a Blue Cash Preferred offer, so I suppose I'll wait for the next one to come around. I checked a couple years back and I was just below the 'worth it' line, but this year with the pandemic I spent much more on groceries and that pattern may stick around.

The Fidelity card looks nice for my needs (Visa and 2% cash back), but does have a 1% foreign transaction fee. Still a lot better than the ~3% on my current cards, I suppose :)

It's hard to say exactly when I might take out a mortgage, but likely closer to the "no sooner than 1 year, more likely in 2 years" timeframe.

With my current 780-805 score, I suppose I'm hoping that another card (or two?) would not drop me to a lower mortgage tier. My average open account age is only 6 years right now which seems like the thing I'm risking most with new cards, though I'm not sure how much that counts. Ideally I would be happy to have another couple of cards to cover my bases (e.g. Apple Card for 0% foreign transaction, Fidelity for base cash back and Visa) but that wouldn't be worth it at all if it cost me, say, +0.5% interest on a mortgage.

Opening one or two cards now shouldn't meaningfully hurt your expected credit score in one or two years. It will drop a bit in the short term and bounce back before then.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Feel free to use the Goon Ref sheet to get some other deals.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

I just refinanced a few months ago, so I'm getting into a churn phase. I have a few large purchase coming up this year (car tires, some home improvements) so I plan them around sign up bonuses. A Macbook purchase is high enough to hit way more than 3% rewards on the dollar. You can probably turn that $1500 into a 200 or $300 sign up bonus, instead of the $45@3%.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Vox Nihili posted:

Opening one or two cards now shouldn't meaningfully hurt your expected credit score in one or two years. It will drop a bit in the short term and bounce back before then.

Thanks. If I decide to open two, how long should I wait between them? I know "6 months" is a thing, but looking forward to +1-2 years and beyond, would that just push back the eventual 'recovery' to ~800 out longer, even if the curve is smoother?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

admiraldennis posted:

Thanks. If I decide to open two, how long should I wait between them? I know "6 months" is a thing, but looking forward to +1-2 years and beyond, would that just push back the eventual 'recovery' to ~800 out longer, even if the curve is smoother?

I would just do both of them as soon as possible to allow them to accrue more time since you're focused on what your score will be in 1-2 years.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there any drawback to requesting reports from all 3 agencies at annualcreditreport.com? I was notified by my finance department at work that somebody attempted to file a fraudulent unemployment claim as me. One of the steps advised to do was check the reports, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything by requesting all three.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Nah that’s fine, people usually recommend pulling 1 at a time so you can space the free reports out over the course of the year, but there’s no harm in doing all at once. Youd just have to pay the $30 or whatever it is if you want to get the full report again later in 2021.

They’re unlikely to be substantially different though.

The actual scores may vary a bit because they all use slightly different scales (like out of 800 vs out of 850) but you should generally land around the same percentile and have the same activity reflected on all of them

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! For those who don't know, they're free every week until April. No major purchases planned at the moment for me though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And I was only able to get the TransUnion report. What a crock. Oh well, at least no signs of fraud activity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TransUnion tend to be the reports that the free apps pull from. I signed up to Experian last year and did a $1 or so payment to get all 3 reports in the app which was useful.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there any drawback to requesting reports from all 3 agencies at annualcreditreport.com? I was notified by my finance department at work that somebody attempted to file a fraudulent unemployment claim as me. One of the steps advised to do was check the reports, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything by requesting all three.

After April, if that isn't extended:

The shady-sounding https://freecreditscore.com is actually owned by Experian after they bought it some years ago; it gives you access to your Experian credit report and FICO score monthly, as well as e-mail alerts for things like new accounts.

Have you already activated one of those 90-day fraud alerts? The same kind of thing they recommended when Equifax had its breach a few years ago.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

And I was only able to get the TransUnion report. What a crock. Oh well, at least no signs of fraud activity.

For some reason I can get TransUnion and Experian from that site but never Equifax. They always want me to mail in some form and like hell am I doing that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure which amex cards this is extended to, but in my anex mobile app, under account there is "FICO score" which has a drop through directly to your fico score, no bs. It only updates monthly though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Other than when it's a bonus category for the Freedom/Freedom Flex is there a card to use for PayPal purchases that yields better cashback or points than the effective 2.25% from a Freedom Unlimited with a points transfer to CSR?