Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Don't judge Human Revolution by looking at Missing Link. The main game is great; Missing Link is like your cousin's 'special' nephew who is never seen except at the family reunion.

The problem with Missing Link as an integrated part of the game is that it happens right after the HK Port (nice, pretty freeform open mission area) and right before the Belltower facility (nice, pretty freeform open mission area).

As a piece of DLC that should represent Deus Ex at its best because you're making it with all the experience of making the main game it's just oppressively mediocre and linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I liked Missing Link's move away from "Here's a boss, he has 10,000 HP and a minigun" stuff and towards "Here's a boss, it's a level with some dude on a radio in it somewhere yelling at you" stuff. Like the clockwork mansion in Dishonoured 2.

It really needed to be better integrated into the main game though, taking your augs away at the start of it felt extremely jarring and like they didn't bother to design it as part of the main game at all.

I'm definitely not going to buy any of the DLC for the new game until it's a couple of pounds at most, since it's horribly integrated as well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gort posted:

I liked Missing Link's move away from "Here's a boss, he has 10,000 HP and a minigun" stuff and towards "Here's a boss, it's a level with some dude on a radio in it somewhere yelling at you" stuff. Like the clockwork mansion in Dishonoured 2.

It really needed to be better integrated into the main game though, taking your augs away at the start of it felt extremely jarring and like they didn't bother to design it as part of the main game at all.

I'm definitely not going to buy any of the DLC for the new game until it's a couple of pounds at most, since it's horribly integrated as well.

They're not horribly integrated. They're not integrated at all! :shepface:

System Rift and A Criminal Past are both interesting standalones, but there's no reason SR shouldn't be integrated. ACP would be more interesting if they gave you more praxis to start with.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't play Mankind Divided because it runs absolutely terribly on my pc (loading times of at least ten minutes kind of bad), but if the DLC is like Missing Link then it not being integrated is probably for the better. Missing Link wasn't really meant to be played as part of the main storyline, and it really shows it's supposed to just be some extra content.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Momomo posted:

I can't play Mankind Divided because it runs absolutely terribly on my pc (loading times of at least ten minutes kind of bad), but if the DLC is like Missing Link then it not being integrated is probably for the better. Missing Link wasn't really meant to be played as part of the main storyline, and it really shows it's supposed to just be some extra content.

System Rift (and the "Free" one released with the game; forgot the name) both would organically fit in the first hub "phase" (before you leave it the first time for a TF29 mission).

ACP is specifically set after the end of the game for its framing narrative (it's a story told as a "flashback/recap") and before the start of the game for the actual gameplay, so it really can't properly integrate.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's supposed to be the avatar for the multiple takedown aug, but everytime I look at it, I see a tough-as-nails senior citizen thrashing a couple of young punks with his canes.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Or one rear end in a top hat kid stealing the canes from two old men.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Van helsing is about to stake the gently caress out of those vampires!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Lazer Monkey posted:

Or one rear end in a top hat kid stealing the canes from two old men.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Casimir Radon posted:

I picked it up without even realizing it. I went to complete the game expecting a fight and got a dialogue box asking if I wanted to push the killswitch, so I did.

If you never get the killswitch, a nano grenade and the same knockout that works on everyone else takes him down too.

Your end boss, folks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm pretty okay with that, actually. Deus Ex has never really been about bosses and I'm okay for it not to start. I also hate it in other games that have even a little pretension at realism where things that work on every enemy just sort of arbitrarily don't work on bosses because bosses.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey guys is this now the De facto "Deus Ex: all versions" thread? Last one's dead from November.

So, I'm scrolling through my steam library in Wine after a new purchase, and for shits and giggles click on Invisible War. Lo and behold, it actually starts! Thank you wine 2.0! Now, it's been ages since I last played the first DE game, and I know the last playthrough probably had a texture pack or something, but I swear to go DE:IW is as ugly as all hell. Arguably worse than the first. Screenie doesn't show it well, but the arms are unattached from the torso. This is the first person I meet.

I'm willing to put up with the combined ammo types, but is the game actually fun/worth playing through?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

I'm willing to put up with the combined ammo types, but is the game actually fun/worth playing through?

It's almost indisputably the worst game of the four, not counting dumb mobile poo poo, but there are one or two parts to it near the end that I'd argue are some of the best in the series (edit: and after the events in Mankind Divided, those parts have a new resonance, now that I think about it). I'd give it a shot.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 10, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Serephina posted:

Like ^^^^ said, it's definitely the least good game in the series (unless you count that putrid abortion of a mobile game, which shouldn't even be mentioned) but it's not bad. If you're a serious DX fan you should play it once.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

.... If you can stand the stupid loading screens every 5 Steps. Made Thief 3 and this so annoying to replay

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

aniviron posted:

I'm pretty okay with that, actually. Deus Ex has never really been about bosses and I'm okay for it not to start. I also hate it in other games that have even a little pretension at realism where things that work on every enemy just sort of arbitrarily don't work on bosses because bosses.

1. Anna Navarra
2. Gunther
3. Walton Simons

Of the three 'boss' fights of Deus Ex, two can be entirely avoided with a conversation and an explosion and one you can just run away from.

Most notably though, all of which you spend the first act of the game regularly interacting with and the player gets to establish a relationship with. cf. the HR/MD bosses, who make brief appearances in early cutscenes and then are pulled out of the bag one after the other every time the level designers need an ending challenge.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't really think of them as bosses, though, that's the thing. They are tougher opponents, but one rocket or LAM will kill them, just like anyone else. They take a few more bullets to take down because of their augs, but again, not much more than a commando or MiB. And yeah, like you say, you can just run away from two of the three (and you can run away from Anna without killing her too but it's not intentional, the glitch is a bit tough to pull off).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
My buddy mentioned these DLCs and I got excited, now that I see they are just missing link standalone mini stories I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the Season Pass, now if only I'd had that wisdom for FFXV

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Serephina posted:

I swear to go DE:IW is as ugly as all hell. Arguably worse than the first. Screenie doesn't show it well, but the arms are unattached from the torso. This is the first person I meet.

DX:IW is definitely uglier than the first game. Fewer polys, crappier textures.

All that dynamic lighting/shadow didn't come free on XBOX 1-era hardware.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So I heard they put the next game on "hold" because it didn't buy the big wigs enough gold-plated yachts. Waiting for MD wasn't a big deal since HR ended in a way that I felt wasn't intended for a sequel. But now with all the hanging plot threads in the end of MD I'm a little pissed off.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The most videogame-y boss in the Deus Ex series is definitely the Necron Project from the end of DX3

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah that was bad. Thankfully you can just skip it all if you have the lasergun.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

A high level Eidos developer wakes up in a strange motel on a Monday. Oh god, oh god, where did the weekend go? He rolls out of bed, still in his (now completely soiled) suit from last Thursday, and empty bottles and traces of three different illicit drugs hit the floor with him. He was supposed to meet with the executive team from Square today! He stops only long enough to vomit into the already disgusting toilet and opens the door. He idly grabs the USA Today and calls the elevator, then stumbles through the lobby into a cab. His bleary eyes barely comprehend the newspaper, but he sees something about microtransactions now being a multi-billion dollar industry. He barely makes the meeting on time. Oh god, what is this pitch going to look like? He was supposed to spend the last week coming up with a compelling story, a second hub city, or maybe even just an interesting advertising campaign.
"Well?" the chairman asks, a stony face among a sea of unfriendly suits. How can he convince the executives that he can make a hundred million dollars from this game?
"Uh.....Microtransactions."
The board is silent for a moment. Then they erupt into cheers and applause.
They too read USA Today.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

DX:IW is definitely uglier than the first game. Fewer polys, crappier textures.

All that dynamic lighting/shadow didn't come free on XBOX 1-era hardware.

The tail end of that generation had a good number of games that were aiming high when it came to lighting, with mixed results. Splinter Cell got there early and did it well by using dynamic lighting sparingly rather than trying to light entire levels that way, and also building an actual gameplay loop that necessitated ubiquitous darkness. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay did really well with it, but character geometry certainly suffered and framerates were never great. Great use of bump mapping to make up for character geometry, though - Xzibit's cornrows were beautifully rendered.

Doom 3 was the most prominent example and I remember its release day very clearly - those of us who actually had the game and were running it on decent hardware thought it looked amazing, while the people who didn't have it and only had screenshots to judge it by thought it looked...well, like poo poo. Low-poly enemies, low-res textures. The magic had a cost but boy did it look good in motion on a decent PC. id Software magic. People who only had PS2s, of course, had no idea any of this was going on - their version of Splinter Cell was limp-dick as hell. XBox owners and of course gaming PC owners got a little sneak preview of something that would be all the gently caress over the next generation's games.

DX:IW has the unfortunate distinction of being the worst of these games. Not only was the game bad, the implementation of lighting and blood was pretty terrible. Low-poly character models but without the lighting and surface quality to justify it. Small, bad environments. Universally bad framerates. Plenty has been written about the managerial horror show that was that game's development, and man does it show. I have a feeling nowadays that game would have been cancelled.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Don't forget that they had a memory leak issue so the game closes and reopens itself every time it loads a level; that's how they "fixed" it. Wouldn't be so bad if the levels weren't so tiny. It makes a lot of other programs unhappy that it does this, so I have had resolution issues, antivirus issues, and steaming issues with the game because of it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Playing MD on PS4 and the map is broken, with mission icons disappearing and appearing at will. There's a 9GB patch I've been avoiding - anyone know if it fixes this issue?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

snoremac posted:

Playing MD on PS4 and the map is broken, with mission icons disappearing and appearing at will. There's a 9GB patch I've been avoiding - anyone know if it fixes this issue?

Why are you not patching a current gen game

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

TheScott2K posted:

Why are you not patching a current gen game

I normally would but there's renovations going on and my PS4's in a room with a weak wifi signal :(. I'll probably have to anyway, because it seems I've got a mission breaking bug (specifically, the dead body you're supposed to find at the neon rave is missing).

EDIT: I looked the mission up and just skipped to the place the body pushes you towards.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 19, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is Mankind Divided supposed to be the second part of a trilogy? It feels like that. It ends so abruptly with a bunch of dangling threads.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

snoremac posted:

Is Mankind Divided supposed to be the second part of a trilogy? It feels like that. It ends so abruptly with a bunch of dangling threads.

It is the first half of a game. The second half got chopped off so Square-Enix could sell it as a new game later on except the sales and response to Mankind Divided were so tepid, they canned it and shelved the series for the foreseeable future.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It is the first half of a game. The second half got chopped off so Square-Enix could sell it as a new game later on except the sales and response to Mankind Divided were so tepid, they canned it and shelved the series for the foreseeable future.

Oh, that's a shame. I just recently got into the series and find it so much more compelling than most big-name franchises.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it was great and now it is dead. What a shame.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just finished the game and found it really enjoyable but yea that was a super cliffhanger ending and is kind of annoying. Hopefully these DLCs I'm about to start are decent.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

B-Mac posted:

Just finished the game and found it really enjoyable but yea that was a super cliffhanger ending and is kind of annoying. Hopefully these DLCs I'm about to start are decent.

They're Jensen-in-a-bubble stories, where you get stripped of augs (one takes place right after you're factory reset in MD, the other has ~plot reasons~) and rebuild up.
They both emphasize/reward stealth over running battles.

System Rift is probably the better one, but Criminal Past is an enjoyable playthrough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They are barely okay.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Playing HR vanilla. Should I play it to the finish and then play Missing Link, or play ML at whatever point it takes place in the plot? And if the latter, could someone give a non-spoilery indication of when that point is?

snoremac fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 21, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

snoremac posted:

Playing HR vanilla. Should I play it to the finish and then play Missing Link, or play ML at whatever point it takes place in the plot? And if the latter, could someone give a non-spoilery indication of when that point is?

There's no point to breaking and playing it; it's entirely self-contained if playing vanilla. Play it afterwards.

It would start right after Jensen climbs into a pod and signs off during a cutscene.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

snoremac posted:

The guy who said it was the first game with a cancelled second game is right, but you're also right: the first third of the story is told in a novelization that nobody has ever read, so you are missing the first third of the story, yeah. I have not read it either so I have no idea what it contains except for the fact that it apparently introduces all the characters you are expected to know and are not really introduced to in MD.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At least there's almost certainly another Splinter Cell game on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

aniviron posted:

The guy who said it was the first game with a cancelled second game is right, but you're also right: the first third of the story is told in a novelization that nobody has ever read, so you are missing the first third of the story, yeah. I have not read it either so I have no idea what it contains except for the fact that it apparently introduces all the characters you are expected to know and are not really introduced to in MD.

That explains quite a bit, particularly Vega just showing up without much of an intro.

Playing HR, like it a lot except for the black woman rifling through trash who speaks like a racist's idea of what a black person speaks like. I wondered why the treatment of augs in MD was obviously a metaphor for racism while racism itself didn't exist. HR has the racism, but not how I might have expected it...

...Also, I wish David Sarif would stop being such a dick. He was very nice in MD.

• Locked thread