Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So uh...what's going on here? Would GT have already been in the development stage by time this came out? Was Toriyama trying to plant the seeds for the Shadow Dragon stuff? Clearly this doesn't actually go anywhere in the manga itself, and this idea hasn't come up again in Battle of Gods, Ressurection 'F', or Super to my knowledge.

Thoughts?

This is why the Shadow Dragons is one of the best ideas in GT (with poor execution, as usual), it actually fits in the continuity, it makes the dragon balls central to the plot and it's believable that artifacts that can alter the order of the universe itself could generate such strong adversaries (as opposed to, say, Rilld somehow being stronger than Majin Buu for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I saw translation saying he skips 0.1 seconds, not stops time for 0.1 seconds.
That makes him King Crimson

Also he's got a dick's head on his head, he's got King Crimson's 2 head deal going on

It's Yamcha, by the way, who is going to defeat Champa.

bs, it's krillin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kuririririririririn is the one who taught Vados and Whis

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Is Cabba supposed to be a kid or just a short adult?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Flippinlikebirds posted:

He's called a boy at one point. So I assume he's a teenager.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flippinlikebirds posted:

I think he's supposed to be both young and short. Hes universe 6 Vegita, but he has more self confidence so he doesn't style his hair to compensate for his height.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the tournament fights. They've mostly been fast-paced and with plenty of interesting gimmicks and stuff to keeps things fresh.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It would have been awesome to see Cabba use the style he uses in the intro. It's very reminiscent of Fire Benders in Avatar and would make for an interesting dynamic if you weren't just dodging the punch or kick, but also the flare of ki coming off it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a good group doing Super translations, or just the broken English-looking one I've seen?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragon Team are the best group. Over8000 were also good and Dragon Team approved, as such there's a span of episodes that DT didn't do because Over8000 did (RIP). Anything else is speed subs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've been using the Pafu subs, they're not out instantly but don't take two days either, and they seem pretty decent, even explaining Japanese puns when they don't translate well.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you, guys, now I have some names to look for. I haven't seen any yet, but the new arc with Champa sounds good

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seems more like King Crimson.

So Goku managed to figure out how King Crimson works, that's pretty impressive!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

pik_d posted:

I've been using the Pafu subs, they're not out instantly but don't take two days either, and they seem pretty decent, even explaining Japanese puns when they don't translate well.

Those are the speed subs by KenXyro. He did it for another group originally too. They're not very good but they're good enough if you want to watch on the day rather than hoping Dragon Team haven't imploded again and can release promptly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rutibex posted:

I think he's supposed to be both young and short. Hes universe 6 Vegita, but he has more self confidence so he doesn't style his hair to compensate for his height.

I saw him more as U6 Tarble, honestly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought it was sad when that nice Cabba boy was relentlessly bullied by the old receding-hairline man from another dimension.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought it was sad when that nice Cabba boy was relentlessly bullied by the old receding-hairline man from another dimension.

That same character made a racist comment towards our boy Magetta.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't know what you're talking about, that episode was full of great father/son moments.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
From his name, wouldn't he be a U6 Nappa?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Dragonball: Evolution last night. It's...surprisingly not the worst thing in the world? IMDb gives it an average rating of 2.7/10, where I'd put it closer to the 5-6 range myself. I'm actually kind of surprised at how they adapted the King Piccolo arc (And parts of the very first hunt for the Dragon Balls as well)- I never expected to see the Mafuba and whatnot. Acting isn't at all great, particularly from the dude who played Goku, but I was able to watch the movie in a single sitting at least without becoming becoming painfully annoyed at it. What makes it weird though is that like the first 20 minutes of the movie are a remake of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. After that it sort of actually becomes a Dragon Ball story.

Well now this means I get to watch the OTHER live action Dragon Ball movies- Dragon Ball: Ssawora Son Goku, Igyeora Son Goku and Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins! At least one of these isn't even subtitled! Hooray!

In It For The Tank posted:

The updated ending of the manga kind of addresses this by changing the final narration from "Everything will be okay because of the Dragon Balls" to "Everything will be okay because of strong guys like Goku", which I think better fits the theme of the story about personal growth and self-reliance (at least, if you're named Goku). The idea that the Dragon Balls defy nature and that they shouldn't be exploited as they have been by the protagonists is an interesting plot point that I'd definitely like to see explored a bit more though. The Shadow Dragons arc in GT was as lame as the rest of the show but the idea behind it was a good one and I hope something like it comes up in Super.
That's really interesting that Toriyama went out of his ways to change the focus of the ending paragraph from the Dragon Balls themselves to the characters.

I can only assume that some part of his brain recognizes the dramatic potential for the idea of exploiting the Dragon Balls, but he never seems to actually do anything with it in the story (Beyond the villains occasionally using them I guess). It just makes the Old Kai thing a weird thematic bit to me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

From his name, wouldn't he be a U6 Nappa?

He is his own vegetable. Nappa = Apple Cabba = Cabbage

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Oh, I always thought he was napa cabbage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Napa is a type of cabbage though.

I know little of Japanese, but I believe the most common term (if there's more than one) for apple is Ringo

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rutibex posted:

apples aren't a vegtable

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Napa is a type of cabbage though.

I know little of Japanese, but I believe the most common term (if there's more than one) for apple is Ringo

I think most of the naming puns are supposed to be in engrish, not Japanese.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

apples aren't a vegtable

Well they aren't animals or minerals :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I think most of the naming puns are supposed to be in engrish, not Japanese.

Well they aren't animals or minerals :colbert:

they're in whatever toriyama wants them to be.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

apples aren't a vegtable

Also Appule (Freeza Minion) already has the english Apple pun.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I saw him more as U6 Tarble, honestly.

I took it more as Vegeta from U6's son, with the prideful King being Vegeta from U6 that he mentions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I took it more as Vegeta from U6's son, with the prideful King being Vegeta from U6 that he mentions.

Cabba turning out to be Vegeta's son would be frigging hilarious especially if Future Trunks shows up as rumored.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope we find that U6's Prideful Saiyan King is none other than Evil Goku 3.5, personally. Haven't had one in a while.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope we find that U6's Prideful Saiyan King is none other than Evil Goku 3.5, personally. Haven't had one in a while.

actually it'll be Bardock and Caba is goku's lil bro.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Goku will be so happy to finally have a brother!

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Itll be one of the evil saiyans from the filler training scene in the HTC.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Cabba is obviously King Raditz's son.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Oh man, what's gonna happen when Cabba goes back to Salad and teaches the entire planet SSJ.

Can you even call it a bargain sale at that point?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

visceril posted:

Oh man, what's gonna happen when Cabba goes back to Salad and teaches the entire planet SSJ.

Can you even call it a bargain sale at that point?

You know how in Star Trek Spock teaches Mirror Spock about pacifism and completely fucks over the balance of power in his universe? Well replace pacifism with 'insane power multiplier' and the subjects being a race of belligerent, maurauding space-dicks, everything is going to go fantastic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's fine, I don't trust cabba's ability to make anyone else angry

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nah, from then on all competitions will be decided by who can made their golden aura flare up bigger.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

projecthalaxy posted:

:suicide:

Kild posted:

actually it'll be Bardock and Caba is goku's lil bro.

I would be fine with this. Cabba does not say that the prideful King is his father or anything.

multijoe posted:

You know how in Star Trek Spock teaches Mirror Spock about pacifism and completely fucks over the balance of power in his universe? Well replace pacifism with 'insane power multiplier' and the subjects being a race of belligerent, maurauding space-dicks, everything is going to go fantastic.

Oh, so they get an arch around finding Planet Vegeta V2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Pureauthor posted:

Nah, from then on all competitions will be decided by who can made their golden aura flare up bigger.

Or turn blue, I suppose. Unless Cabba's universe is the GT universe.

• Locked thread