Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Araganzar posted:

Killing a child and replacing it with a different one is not a small cost to their mother or friends, even if the new child is better conceived and more balanced.

This boulder beetle had a pre-existing condition. He had to go. #MCGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LordSloth posted:

That wasn't a pre-existing condition! You just shot him with a curare needle!

So I have the worst elf 3 layout I think I've ever seen. Basically nowhere to hide.

Why am I not worried? Because you see that little stairs right outside the north exit to the vault? Here's where it leads:

ONE ELF ENTERS

NO ELFS LEAVE

WELCOME TO ELFS ARENA MR DEMONOLOGIST

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED DEEP ELF MAGE?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

LordSloth posted:

:deports all features deemed a little too 'exotic':

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Thanks, now the Devs are going to stop those stair-boxes from appearing in Elf.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

Thanks, now the Devs are going to stop those stair-boxes from appearing in Elf.

Didn't matter, got abyssed by a dancing longsword of distortion after I cleared the vault. Got me the abyss rune though. Did V5 to get enough $$$ to bribe Zot 5 twice. I have to say that was 6000gp well spent...

Pretty much walked to the orb. Even had enough bribe left to get a pan lord or two on the run out of Zot.

code:
             araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 264/264 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Air Elementalist on May 6, 2017.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on May 8, 2017!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Edit: Nope, I'm just an idiot.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 8, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I thought formicids were supposed to be a mediocre gimmick race, but here I am in a killhole I dug wielding an artifact large shield and an artifact dire flail.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

tweet my meat posted:

I thought formicids were supposed to be a mediocre gimmick race, but here I am in a killhole I dug wielding an artifact large shield and an artifact dire flail.

Turns out their gimmick is really pretty good for certain jobs, and murder holes are it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

tweet my meat posted:

And you get to ignore two of the worst malmutate consequences: zerkitis and portitis. And you can wield artifacts that have these sorts of things and -Slow without any blowback. So what if you can't wear a hat, hats are stupid anyway. Wielding an executioner's axe and a large shield together more than compensates. Antmen are tons of fun.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really like playing formicids, actually. Heavy armor and big melee gives you a much bigger room for errors than I have on blaster mages (or maybe I am just bad at knowing when to read teleport and/or run on mages), and murder holes are the best. If you go Okawaru and abuse murder holes I find FoFi's are tons of fun. Just watch out for Deep Troll Mages eventually. Or murder them with cleaving executioners axes.

Plus the cross-trained bonus means mace'ing Hydras isn't too bad, plus you can Heroism to chew through hydras more easily than is reasonable.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
And the Elf elemental mage guys that can ruin your beautiful little ant-hole!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

I really like playing formicids, actually. Heavy armor and big melee gives you a much bigger room for errors than I have on blaster mages (or maybe I am just bad at knowing when to read teleport and/or run on mages), and murder holes are the best. If you go Okawaru and abuse murder holes I find FoFi's are tons of fun. Just watch out for Deep Troll Mages eventually. Or murder them with cleaving executioners axes.

Plus the cross-trained bonus means mace'ing Hydras isn't too bad, plus you can Heroism to chew through hydras more easily than is reasonable.

I watched Mekire run several Fo streaks of various backgrounds using one main strategy: Pick up an axe and the heaviest armor you can find, go Oka. Finesse bypasses stasis and will get you out of almost any situation. Using an axe means less time spent in positioning when you are caught in the open which is really valuable for Fo.

The main thing I noticed Mekire doing was being really consistent about getting into the killhole. He was also very quick to use shaft rather than risk dying. Most races can lure guys in and take some damage doing so with the knowledge they can port out with just one thing beating on them if they have to. Formicid can only dig their way to freedom so they need to be a lot more cautious.

FulsomFrank posted:

And the Elf elemental mage guys that can ruin your beautiful little ant-hole!

Here is a trick. If they don't see you, they won't do that. So shoot a lightning wand into the Elf 3 vault then sit in your killhole shouting. I've only had a couple times one came into sight that was able to trash my hidey hole before I could kill it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Araganzar posted:

I watched Mekire run several Fo streaks of various backgrounds using one main strategy: Pick up an axe and the heaviest armor you can find, go Oka. Finesse bypasses stasis and will get you out of almost any situation. Using an axe means less time spent in positioning when you are caught in the open which is really valuable for Fo.

The main thing I noticed Mekire doing was being really consistent about getting into the killhole. He was also very quick to use shaft rather than risk dying. Most races can lure guys in and take some damage doing so with the knowledge they can port out with just one thing beating on them if they have to. Formicid can only dig their way to freedom so they need to be a lot more cautious.

Here is a trick. If they don't see you, they won't do that. So shoot a lightning wand into the Elf 3 vault then sit in your killhole shouting. I've only had a couple times one came into sight that was able to trash my hidey hole before I could kill it.

WHAT? Does that work for deep trolls too? That's super handy. Deep trolls are a little harder because you are usually exploring and run into the packs rather than baiting them, but still.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Araganzar posted:

Whoa, that's a good tip. Thanks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

tweet my meat posted:

Formicid are really good up until something goes wrong deep in the dungeon. If you can't shaft yourself you have no escape option other than walking away, which is probably not gonna be good enough. If you follow a god that lets you cover that weakness then they are fantastic.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

WHAT? Does that work for deep trolls too? That's super handy. Deep trolls are a little harder because you are usually exploring and run into the packs rather than baiting them, but still.

I don't think it does because they are using LRD and elementalists are doing it by summoning earth elementals. I'll test it next time I get a chance. Right now I am pissed because I splatted a good MiAK I had some time invested in. Was in Crypt 3, standing on stairs attacking a flayed ghost at full hits. I get flayed and same turn I see "A bolt of cold appears from out of thin air!" for 46 more pts (I've swapped rC for rN for crypt).

I go up the stairs, get flayed down to 49 pts and the lich bolts me for 50. RIP. Maybe I had a swing queued but even then I went down in 1.4 turns plus however far I was up the stairs when I died. Maybe I should have abyssed myself but it happened so fast I'm not sure I registered the danger until I was looking at a game over.

Maybe I should be playing Formicids instead of Minotaurs...I just wanted to get my 5th AK win....

edit: vvvvvv yeah, I'd seen the lich, it was that Crypt 3 with the glass walls vault. I should have just left C3 but I wanted gold for runed CPA. Guess they will spend it on my tombstone instead.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 8, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A Lich being invisible prior to you seeing it is IIRC impossible, barring summon shenanigans. Still sucks to be blasted that hard that quick, though. I'd have suggested ring switching to rC (0.5 turns) but pRNG being as it is you'd probably been hit by a bolt of draining instead. :v:

Deep Troll Earth Elementalists also have Dig in their repertoire and are more than glad to use it if they are tracking you directly and it would be faster to spend a turn on the spell then moving. I've done..stupid things with the Arena of Blood sprint and there's a monster with a similar moveset to prevent hiding in the walls.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Formicid are really good up until something goes wrong deep in the dungeon. If you can't shaft yourself you have no escape option other than walking away, which is probably not gonna be good enough. If you follow a god that lets you cover that weakness then they are fantastic.
I went with warper so I could use passage of goloburia to alleviate some of those issues.

So I have 2 decent weapons here. A +11 Dire Flail with crush,rc+, and mr+ then I have a +11 demon whip with *noise,freeze,rc-,str+9, and sinv (again not an issue like most of my gear seems to have sinv this run) Which one looks better? I'll still have 2 rc with the penalty.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

So I have 2 decent weapons here. A +11 Dire Flail with crush,rc+, and mr+ then I have a +11 demon whip with *noise,freeze,rc-,str+9, and sinv (again not an issue like most of my gear seems to have sinv this run) Which one looks better? I'll still have 2 rc with the penalty.

If this a formicid don't you already have sInv? The dire flail (13/6) usually a bit better than a dwhip (11/5) but the +9 str makes the whip the better choice IMO - closes the damage gap, it helps with encumbrance, and adds to shields. I'd keep the flail for MR if you need it.

Eventually you'll want a +9 great mace of something, preferably freezing. But now you can save your enchant weapon scrolls for the perfect one...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

I find murdering everything with finesse to be a pretty good escape option

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I like Formicids but Hydras gently caress my poo poo up- even with maces. WHY?!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You mentioned maces. Have you mentioned really loving high AC?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

I like Formicids but Hydras gently caress my poo poo up- even with maces. WHY?!

Hydras get multiple damage 18 attacks for every attack they perform, and the more heads they have the more attacks they perform at a 1:1 ratio of heads:attacks for each attack action. It's like getting hit by multiple broadaxe* wielding dudes every turn.

Killing solo hydras is like killing any other move 10 crawl monster: you either damage race it or you kite it. The rub is that damage racing a hydra with a (non-flaming) slicing weapon makes the hydra do more damage and heal when you attack it. I strongly recommend using at least one effectiveness multiplier like slow/haste/finesse/conjure fire (hydras are incredibly stupid and will gladly step into dangerous clouds to bite at you) if you want to hit the hydra in melee until it dies and you either don't have a flaming axe/longsword or you're really dedicated to only using one family of beatstick.

And even if you do have that flaming weapon I recommend using one of those because crawl is a game about surviving via risk management, a resource you don't use is wasted.

Since hydras are move 10, another option is walking away from them, if you're not a naga or a frogman or a che worshiper, and being about other business until your character is strong enough to deal with them. (This is my normal reaction unless I feel confident I can survive 1-4 rounds of hits from the hydra or I have A Cunning Plan TM to deal with one.)

*Going purely off damage numbers it's more like an executioner's axe hit per head, but I don't know how monster base damage/accuracy interacts with weapons they're carrying (i.e do vault guards just do 15 more damage than an identically-armed orc?) or an alternative contextualization. Maybe similar to fighting four or more ogres with giant clubs in melee simultaneously? The point is it's a lot of attacks and damage being thrown around every turn.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 9, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I gotta stop overcommiting to bad situations. I just burned almost all of my good consumables on a run that I was planning to take to the post 3 rune game. Wound up settling for a 4 rune win. It's crazy how much I've progressed though. I used to not be able to get to lair/orc consistently, now I can pretty consistently win.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its better to use consumables and win than not use them and die. You don't wanna end up like me and keep trying to force extended wins even when you're not equipped to do so. Learning to admit you won't be able to handle it and just ascending is important.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i have 9 of that script, i wish i had a way to identify it

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Wales Grey posted:

~good stuff~

The best way to deal with early hydra is to kill them before they can get to you. On formicids I like to get crossbows going, the mid level one can kill a hydra in a few good hits and even a handcrossbow will severely injure a hydra and make it a chump in melee. If you can't get crossbows or don't want to spend skill points in ranged weapons then firing wands will probably work, though it can be a little touch and go.

Formicids really benefit from a strong ranged weapon since they can wield longbows/triple crossbows from behind large shields and you can slaughter just about anything from range.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hydras are a primary target for all your damaging wands. Or at least they were before wands of cold/fire got removed and you're more often stuck with the garbage wand of lightning that will just miss miss miss. Though if you lucked into a wand of acid that is great for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Most trogolytes in heavy armour can just drop a spellbook, use the divine book burning, and press 5 until the hydra dies.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It used to be you could trick a hydra into moving behind a weaker target and have them walk into a conjure flame cloud until they're dead. I think they'll bully some monsters out of the way now though but I haven't played a mage in forever.

I just always grab the first flaming bladed weapon I find simply as a precaution for dealing with hydras because they're so threatening.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Honestly, a flaming long blade will take out most hydras really easily. They become a joke if you remember to grab any single flaming long blade between D:1 and around Lair. There's almost always one too.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's not, really. Most weapon drops before Lair are short blades or m&f.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Flaming long blade before lair is a bit of a gamble, but you will almost always have some damage wands. With 6ish evocations you can blast down hydras pretty reliably and it is pretty quick to get skilled.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Dip your head into Orc then and bump the odds of finding something on fire? If I haven't grabbed a flaming weapon that's usually a decent method.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Speleothing posted:

There's not, really. Most weapon drops before Lair are short blades or m&f.

I feel like you can step into Orc and grab a flaming long blade pretty easily. Otherwise, hydras are the same speed as most pcs, which means they're fairly avoidable for the most part. Like, I'm one of the most vocal critics of crawl so I'm not just handwaving. I just actually don't think of hydras as the same level of problem that most people apparently do.

If you're beefy, use a non-bladed weapon or a flaming bladed weapon. If you're not beefy, use spells or a wand. If you're a stabber with no wands somehow, just casually walk to the nearest stairs. Hydras are actually cool and have an interesting gimmick.

edit: nvm

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 10, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Did you get probated here or on the tavern?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just have all melee weapons cut hydra heads to make it fair.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

Did you get probated here or on the tavern?

Just use listgame, man...

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-50-g88ac8fd (webtiles) character file.

515613 CaptainMonkey the Phalangite (level 24, -11/241 HPs)
             Began as a Human Goon on May 8, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Lugoonu
             Probated by an sycophant
             ... wielding a +0 giant grudge
              (26 damage)
             ... on Forum 3 of the Tavern on May 9, 2017.
             The game lasted 04:12:40 (83867 posts).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
:golfclap: I look forward to the splat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why is the greek mythological hydra even in this game please remove it.

• Locked thread