Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly as a huge unashamed cocksucker cheerleader for Marvel adaptations half my life... All the Marvel TV stuff are varying degrees of bad.

I don't mean that in some "inaccurate to the comics" poo poo. I mean they are bad stories badly told, which is frustrating because I think they have a great casting department.

The Defenders is going to blow, but I'm going to watch anyway because gently caress it. I never thought I'd see the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Some parts of the Netflix Marvel stuff has been great. Fisk, Kilgrave, Elektra and Punisher have all been well cast and were highlights of theirs shows. This isn't unpopular I guess but whatever fits the topic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know I hated Fisk (that voice) and Electra, whom I've never ever found interesting. Punisher and Kilgrave were good, but even then I whine because I hate superhero properties that get taken over by the villains.

At the bottom of it I just find poorly written stories executed with mediocrity despite having the cast, concepts, and budget to do a lot more.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was never really into any of those characters in the comics, like I knew of them but that was pretty much it.

Fisk in particular turning out to be this weird man baby was interesting compared to what I thought of him before, which was "mob boss who is fat but also strong".

Legion is the best superhero show so far though, by far.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fisk had the same daddy issues in the 90s Spider Man cartoon

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's all about the voice. The forced gravel did not work for me at all. I get what they were going for but it made him sound very nonthreatening and not in a "he's so badass people are scared of him regardless" way. Too much baby, not enough man.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Should have just dubbed over his voice with Jim Cummings.

Blue Moonlight posted:

My PHUO: I really dislike the Hand on the Marvel Netflix shows. It seems incredibly cheeseball, and I hate that we will have three different seasons of it spanning three different shows. Plus, it seems like they can't decide what the Hand is - Daredevil has them being uber-ninja, Iron Fist had them being a paramilitary martial arts cult. I'm sure that it will be even more ridiculous on Defenders.

Ugh, Elektra and the Hand is what made me lose interest in Daredevil - if the Punisher wasn't so good I probably have dropped the series. Do they seriously take hold in Cage as well? :saddowns:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Elektra was boring as hell in the comics and she's boring as hell in the shows. She's just not an interesting character to me at all.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I thought she was hot and got turned on when she slit that ninja guys throat. :angel: :dance: :devil:

There is no hand in Luke Cage, but the whole Diamondback half of the season is kinda boring.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Modern style "fine dining" is a joke and you'd be much better off going to a non-pretentious rustic style authentic restaurant that uses fresh/local ingredients. At least there you might get an actual meal instead of an art project on a plate with a sliver of beef here or there.

Don't get me wrong, "modern" food is technically impressive and nice to look at, but if you're using rulers and poo poo to plate your food it's way too pretentious and you should come back down to earth.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You don't go to a fine dining restaurant to stuff your face, it's not a buffet. You go for the experience, think of it more like going to an art gallery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

You don't go to a fine dining restaurant to stuff your face, it's not a buffet. You go for the experience, think of it more like going to an art gallery.

There's a difference between getting a full meal and "stuffing your face". Why do goons insist on things being one of the two extremes with nothing in the middle?

There are plenty of high-end rustic restaurants that don't go overboard on plating over quantity. Those are what I was talking about.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is cracker barrel fine dining

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's good eatin

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cracker Barrel is pretty mediocre but they are basically the only restaurant that serves stewarts orange cream soda, plus in frosted mugs, so I have to give them credit.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There's a difference between getting a full meal and "stuffing your face". Why do goons insist on things being one of the two extremes with nothing in the middle?

There are plenty of high-end rustic restaurants that don't go overboard on plating over quantity. Those are what I was talking about.

I get it man trust me. Hell one of my favorite places to eat is a hole in the wall hot dog place. It's just when people talk about fine dining there's always a comment about how they don't give you a ton of food and that annoys me. If you're going into nice restaurant and you're concerned about portion size you're already in the wrong frame of mind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There are plenty of fine dining restaurants that serve good sized meals / meals consisting of multiple courses - definitely in Europe, which is where you are, isn't it. There are also cheap places that serve crap portions.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I get it man trust me. Hell one of my favorite places to eat is a hole in the wall hot dog place. It's just when people talk about fine dining there's always a comment about how they don't give you a ton of food and that annoys me. If you're going into nice restaurant and you're concerned about portion size you're already in the wrong frame of mind.

In my experience there are two types of michelin starred restaurants: the super arty kind like I was talking about, and ones that give you small (compared to a standard american restaurant) but reasonable portion, i.e. the full porkchop instead of a couple slices of it. I've never been to a 3 star place which seems to tend way toward the ultra-modern, but at a 1 star place i've never thought either "where's the rest of it" or "how the hell do i eat this".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

People go to art galleries too. Maybe they just wanna pay to look at and maybe eat some carefully crafted foods. Feel fancy while doing it. It's not a hunger thing, you'd cook some meat on your own for that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

As a goon, non-binary situations confuse and enrage me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I learned everything I needed to know about snobbery from Caddyshack.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Political

I feel really bad for our president, because he reminds me of my grandpa, and he always looks so lost and confused, and I honestly, don't think he understands what he's doing. I just want him to go away, but I also want someone to help him, because he is not surrounded by people who care about him and that must be so lonely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Political

I feel really bad for our president, because he reminds me of my grandpa, and he always looks so lost and confused, and I honestly, don't think he understands what he's doing. I just want him to go away, but I also want someone to help him, because he is not surrounded by people who care about him and that must be so lonely.

I heard him speaking for the first time a few days ago and it was pretty :monocle: since he's obviously either very very scared/confused or has some severe brain problem(s). Or both :shrug: He's not just a bad speaker, he's hardly a speaker at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Political

I think it's more of a case where he just does whatever the last person to treat him nicely told him to do, but he keeps getting conflicting/bad advice and they end up turning on him. If he did what he said he'd do and surrounded himself with true experts (not just the ones who sucked up the most) I think he'd be doing much better. I know people on here like to play up the dementia thing, but I think it's more that he's just out of his element than anything wrong with his brain, and people around him would rather see him fail than succeed so nobody says "hey maybe tone down the handshakes" or whatever.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I heard him speaking for the first time a few days ago

Have you been in a coma the past 1-2 years?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you have the option between a local beer or craft beer and bud light/coors/etc., for the same price and you choose the bud, guess what?

You're fuckin riff raff.

Texting and driving laws are stupid as hell. Its ok to eat and drive? Make up apply and drive? Google maps and drive? But not text, thats too far. We would all be safer if wr didnt bit the application of the law is poo poo.

Actually yes you CAN judge parents by what their kids do to a certain point.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Counterpoint: something being "local" or "craft" isn't a guarantee that it will actually be good/high quality. This applies to food in general, not just beer. It is true in many cases but I feel like people will give things too many passes on quality as long as it's locally made/grown.

That said, I think the only time I'd choose a beer like coors/bud/etc over something higher quality is if they are the only ones on tap. I don't like getting bottled beer at bars.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't care what anyone else drinks.....unless they mix good bourbon/whiskey with soda.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coors Light is good if you want to drink in a social setting but also don't want to get fat/drunk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think it's more of a case where he just does whatever the last person to treat him nicely told him to do, but he keeps getting conflicting/bad advice and they end up turning on him. If he did what he said he'd do and surrounded himself with true experts (not just the ones who sucked up the most) I think he'd be doing much better. I know people on here like to play up the dementia thing, but I think it's more that he's just out of his element than anything wrong with his brain, and people around him would rather see him fail than succeed so nobody says "hey maybe tone down the handshakes" or whatever.

Sure, he's the oldest person ever elected as president. And look at 2020. He'll be running for re-election at 74 while his most likely opponents (at the moment) will be 72 (Warren), 76 (Biden) and 80 (Sanders).

I don't think world leaders should necessarily have an upper age limit or anything but maybe there comes a point where you have to go, "Okay, let's be serious." :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, he's the oldest person ever elected as president. And look at 2020. He'll be running for re-election at 74 while his most likely opponents (at the moment) will be 72 (Warren), 76 (Biden) and 80 (Sanders).

I don't think world leaders should necessarily have an upper age limit or anything but maybe there comes a point where you have to go, "Okay, let's be serious." :shrug:

I like how we'll trust them to run the country, but not want to stand behind them in a grocery line.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Texting and driving laws are stupid as hell. Its ok to eat and drive? Make up apply and drive? Google maps and drive? But not text, thats too far. We would all be safer if wr didnt bit the application of the law is poo poo.
Well, practically speaking a cop can pull you over for any real reason they want including every valid reason you said (and label your examples under something akin to "distracted driving"). The sticking point is the enforcement and holding up whatever they charge you with via the word of law as interpreted by the local judicial bodies and any appeals courts above. Texting and driving just gets banner status because "the youngs" are doing it.

My PHUO along these lines is that automakers finally need to start making dedicated smartphone holders in their cars, legislatures need to allow this to happen without penalizing automotive companies for "encouraging distracted driving" or what have you, and smartphone makers like Apple and Google need to come up with viable voice-activated software specifically for driving (we're close, but as it stands I can't open my phone and open a music app or text app solely via voice and that is a loving problem). People are all doing it. It's not ok. But it's happening. gently caress all the fear of liability and start forging for real solutions.

Can't help with the makeup and eating though.

quote:

Actually yes you CAN judge parents by what their kids do to a certain point.
Oh gently caress yeah. I look at my parents, my aunts and uncles, and their kids. There are definite correlations between the parents' shortcomings and how all the kids turned out.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like how we'll trust them to run the country, but not want to stand behind them in a grocery line.

It's a good thing they get driven everywhere as elected officials anyway :v:

For real though I don't agree with the pity for our President. I can see the sympathetic logic, but I think it only goes as far as the end of the silver spoon in his mouth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ideally the voters would impose one naturally by just not voting for candidates that clearly aren't competent, but unfortunately too many people don't see anything besides (R) or (D) each election and vote for the party instead of the person.

In general I don't see a problem with a very elderly leader as long as they are still physically and mentally competent. If their health is deteriorating it does make our country look weak internationally which isn't good. Maybe being more strict about a thorough physical/mental health checkup by neutral doctors (with the results being made public) before being allowed to run would help.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

There is no loving way Trump is running for re-election unless WW3 starts before then or something.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Apparently unpopular opinion according to the last few posts: people should learn to exercise the self-control to not text while driving. If it's that important, pull over (however I guarantee that 99 times out of 100, it isn't). The answer isn't "well people do it anyway, oh well" the answer is "people shouldn't loving do it". We don't offer classes for driving while drunk so people can practise, we tell them too bad, that's the trade off you make for wanting to drive. And yes, if people are distracted doing makeup or eating or whatever else while driving, they shouldn't do that either. If you don't like it, get a self-driving car or find some other method of transport.

Or maybe I'm biased because I've come close to being seriously hit by someone texting while driving more than once. :iiam:

Related PHUO: people are too blasé about driving. Yeah, it's a normal part of daily life for many people, but it's still fairly dangerous, especially if people in the vicinity (driver, cyclists, pedestrians, whoever) aren't paying full attention to what they're doing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I respect your point Whitlam and agree. I especially appreciate your argument about not offering drunk-driving classes, and that driving is a privilege where sacrifices must be made to reap the benefits. I hadn't thought of it like that.

My point was more that automakers, legislatures, and smartphone makers all have an ethical obligation to fix the overall problem of texting while driving... but no one will because it requires multiple public and private bodies to band together for a common good where any one of them can be held liable for damage at the drop of a hat and there is minimal obvious profit motive... which is absurd because the problem of texting while driving isn't going to go away no matter how many "people shouldn't loving do it"s get said. You have to go out and buy a drink as an elective activity. A smartphone and texts are in the top three, if not the top form of communication in the developed world. You can't realistically minimize the access on a broad scale so thus the best solution is to mitigate how the access is handled. This problem is solvable for the majority populace-- docks in cars with improved voice activation--but it won't be done and that's serious bullshit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There would be massive amounts of work to implement something that works though. You can't just disable texting if the phone detects it's going more than 15mph because then no one can text in any vehicle even public transit. You can't have cars jam phone signals at over 15mph for the same reason. I don't even know where they could start figuring out how a phone/car could tell or block just one function from one phone at one position in the vehicle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The only thing I think that would work is make penalties for doing it at least close to the penalties for a DUI. "People are going to do it anyway" doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent it. Start suspending teenagers' licenses and they might start to think twice before pulling out the phone to send a text that could easily wait the 5 minutes until they get to their destination.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It won't stick because it's very easy to get away with texting and driving if there aren't cops around, or if you're in traffic and a cop doesn't notice you. You can play the odds and come up a winner a shocking number of times where you text, drive, and nothing bad happens. Now couple this with a teenager's impulse control. Even if 25% of teens were dissuaded by penalty, that would not be nearly enough. It's better to manage, direct, and modify the behavior in a way that is safer than try to suppress/punish it after the fact.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

It won't stick because it's very easy to get away with texting and driving if there aren't cops around, or if you're in traffic and a cop doesn't notice you. You can play the odds and come up a winner a shocking number of times where you text, drive, and nothing bad happens. Now couple this with a teenager's impulse control. Even if 25% of teens were dissuaded by penalty, that would not be nearly enough. It's better to manage, direct, and modify the behavior in a way that is safer than try to suppress/punish it after the fact.

We haven't been able to do that for something as simple as seat belts. What makes you think we'll be able to do that for a random floating device that needs to function for potential safety reasons for one specific person in a moving vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

You could say the exact same thing about drunk driving though. If drunk drivers were asked how many times they did it before getting caught (and they were honest) I would put my money on it being around the same fraction.