Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Phoenix prize event starting Thursday. Good luck goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cythereal posted:

Phoenix prize event starting Thursday. Good luck goons!

Are the Phoenix boxes worth buying outside of the event? I'm not really sure what I should be spending dilithium on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The phoenix upgrades are by far the most efficient way to upgrade items outside of the omega upgrades, but the anniversary event's running so that may skew it a bit.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Are the new ones just named cold cases if I wanted to search for them?
Hahaha no, that would be too easy. Boxed up they're cold cases, unboxed they're case files. If you're searching on the exchange, 'ash c' without the quotes should pick up both. Similarly, 'arch rear end' will pick up all the old lockbox research assignments.

quote:

As well on a more question of gearing, I have all the old romulan plasma mk12, and like dyson ship components and a lot of the older universals, like plas leech. What would be the best way to go about upgrading my gear to current end game? Slash good rep gear to target.
Plas leech got heavily nerfed awhile back, and I'm not sure if any universals from back then are still any good. Your weapons are probably still fine, but will need to be upgraded to mk XV. Phoenix upgrades are the most efficient way to do that. Tac consoles and DECS will generally be a mix of rep and fleet gear. The DPS league guides are good, fairly up-to-date lists of good current gear. https://www.sto-league.com/how-to-cannons/ and https://www.sto-league.com/beam-ships-in-the-current-century/
They have a good sci-anomaly guide too, but setting one of those up is a lot more expensive.

I said come in! posted:

Could I please bother you for a more detailed guide on how to do this? Like what missions to pick, and items to buy? The goal is to just be able to take on every single available mission in the Duty Officers tab, right?
First off, some caveats. This will cost a fair amount of ec. Normally research assignments are around 1-1.5m each, meaning that during XP weekend you could probably max out while spending less than 20m total. But thanks to the current recruit event, prices for anything that makes leveling useful are fairly high. Last I checked they're running 2-3m. That's why I put in the tip about running Q's omega particle daily mission and grabbing the XP pool from it. You can run it daily on each char on your account, and not only will they help level faster, they sell for a decent amount of ec too.

Also, leveling up this way will leave you with a level 65 char with almost no expertise (needed to level reputations and train boffs), and a small amount of mk ii gear. This is fine if the alt will spend the rest of his life parked in front of the contra turn-in officer, but you'll need a plan to gear it up otherwise. Sending over account-bound gear from other chars, crafting gear, buying a bunch of max-level gear (this can get expensive), begging in chat for someone to craft some basic stuff for you are all possible options.

Anyway, here's the detailed write-up. Start a new char. Skip the tutorial if possible (you can't for kdf recruits), and just play the early story missions. They're usually pretty fast and you'll probably gain a level after you finish each one. Your goal is to hit level 12. The doffing system unlocks at level 11, but for some cryptic reason most (but not all) of the lockbox doff missions can't be used until you're level 12. Once you hit level 12, you'll need some doffs. Higher quality are better, but whites will work in a pinch. You can't fail lockbox doff missions, but critting them will give you a much larger level boost. You should get a free compliment of low quality doffs when you hit level 11, but that's been bugged for years and many players don't get the doffs. Claim any z-store ones you've bought or received from promos, mail some over from other alts, or hit the exchange and look for duty officer packs and duty officer cadres. Grab the cheap ones, you're not looking to get lucky with a promo ship or anything.

Finally, search the exchange for research assignments. There are a lot of different ones to choose from. Though for some weird reason the terran and mirror ones don't give as much XP as the others, so maybe try to avoid those ones.

Then, just run as many of those assignments as you can, and then check back in 4 hours. Each one will probably give you 2 or 3 levels when you complete it. You need to gain 40 levels to unlock the Admiralty system, so roughly 20 assignments should do the trick. You can't run duplicate assignments simultaneously, so this will probably take 2 or 3 sessions of claiming finished assignments and starting new ones.

After you hit 52, the admiralty system unlocks. At that point you can get lots of free XP just by running admiralty missions. The XX of 10 Tour of Duty assignments probably give the most, and odds are that at least one will be available right away.

This is not the funnest way to level a character, and you really need to have a plan on how to gear up the character after it hits max level. But it's absolutely the fastest way to level a char, at least in terms of amount of time spent logged in to that character. On XP weekend I've managed to hit max level with less than 45 minutes /played, and I know others that have done it faster. In real time terms, my kdf recruit was 62 by the time I went to bed the first night, and hit 65 the next morning when admiralty missions were done.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Cythereal is right, for KDF space magic you want the Khaimas. Great seating and the clicky has an innate exotic buff on the console. It's fleet equivalent too!

You don't need a secondary deflector to do space magic though, I have been having lots of fun in the Fleet vo'DevwI Support Carrier built as a science monster. The regular T6 is worth buying for the skin alone, not to mention and the fleet module discount for the fleet version. It's Klingon as gently caress. I don't miss the secondary deflector at all.

For not science, these guides are pretty much unbeatable for building in the current meta:

Cannons

Beams

There's not much difference between the two and you basically just build what you can afford.

TLDR

You can go pretty crazy with disruptors using House Martok Skirmisher Configuration from "Brushfire" and Entoiled Technology from "Echoes of Light"

Phasers with the Quantum Phase Catalysts from "Sunrise" and Trilithium-Laced Weaponry from "Beyond The Nexus" are nice too.

The DS9 content has some nice stuff for Polarons but I personally haven't used any of it. Plasma is gated behind Lobi stuff. There's a fair amount of antiproton gear you can score but the really good junk costs Lobi or comes from event ships. Tetryon lags behind in the broken set department.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Someone remind me if the two Mk and Rarity Omega upgader variants are good/not good ? During an upgrade event the Mk one would be applying like 250k points or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No dil vs costs dil is pretty clear in the former camp, assuming you have a fuckload farmed

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

MREBoy posted:

Someone remind me if the two Mk and Rarity Omega upgader variants are good/not good ? During an upgrade event the Mk one would be applying like 250k points or something.
I would need to quantify it with tests on Tribble, but the Rarity might be useful in the Mk II upgrade niche, if you aren't going to use an Ultimate upgrade.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

bij posted:

Cythereal is right, for KDF space magic you want the Khaimas. Great seating and the clicky has an innate exotic buff on the console. It's fleet equivalent too!

You don't need a secondary deflector to do space magic though, I have been having lots of fun in the Fleet vo'DevwI Support Carrier built as a science monster. The regular T6 is worth buying for the skin alone, not to mention and the fleet module discount for the fleet version. It's Klingon as gently caress. I don't miss the secondary deflector at all.

For not science, these guides are pretty much unbeatable for building in the current meta:

Cannons

Beams

There's not much difference between the two and you basically just build what you can afford.

TLDR

You can go pretty crazy with disruptors using House Martok Skirmisher Configuration from "Brushfire" and Entoiled Technology from "Echoes of Light"

Phasers with the Quantum Phase Catalysts from "Sunrise" and Trilithium-Laced Weaponry from "Beyond The Nexus" are nice too.

The DS9 content has some nice stuff for Polarons but I personally haven't used any of it. Plasma is gated behind Lobi stuff. There's a fair amount of antiproton gear you can score but the really good junk costs Lobi or comes from event ships. Tetryon lags behind in the broken set department.

You can also get some nice Polaron-related items that buff your space magic from the Time and Tide mission set.

And the Dyson Rep weapons, mainly the Gravitmetric Torpedo with Torpedo Spread, will just crap space magic everywhere, it's great.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So I've got a T6 coupon and a T-6x upgrade lying around that I'd like to use on a good non-science ship. Any suggestions?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^^ The Gagarin, or the Jem'Hadar Vanguard Warship are some of the best z-store ships for non-sci DPS.

MREBoy posted:

Omegas are really only good for getting mk II items to epic cheaply (though this is a lot harder now that you can't buy the omega parts and have to farm them yourself). The omega [mark] variant is generally useless - yes, it costs less dil than using phoenix upgrades, but the time involved in farming the 18 of each trace required is high enough that you're better off just farming more dil instead.

For upgrading rarity, things get more interesting. Starting with mk II VR items* and using a single omega upgrade and a major research boost, you have a roughly 2/3 chance to hit epic before the omega runs out. Given the expense of omega upgrades, it's usually better to just throw away any failed upgrades on the exchange. In other words, if you want 6 epic weapons, you should probably start with 9 of them, along with 9 omegas and 9 major research boosts.

There is a trick you can do with the omega [quality] upgrades, though. If you start with a mk II VR item and hit it with an omega [quality] upgrade, the chance to upgrade will jump to 100%. However, that chance will fall to 0% after the first upgrade. The trick is to immediately use a single green basic upgrade on the item - it will upgrade to UR at mk III, and then keep upgrading (staying at UR) until probably mk V or VI. At that point, you can use another omega [quality] upgrade to set the upgrade chance to 100% again, and then finish with phoenix upgrades. It will hit epic, guaranteed. Note that there's a good chance that this trick won't work during upgrade weekend - the green upgrade might upgrade the weapon to a high enough level that the second omega [quality] won't give 100% chance anymore. Note that due to the weird way that omega [quality] upgrades work, using them at mk XV doesn't actually help all that much at all.

Doing the math, using one omega (made from 3 fragments) and getting 67% chance of hitting epic, or using two omega [quality] (made from 2 fragments) and getting 100% chance of hitting epic ends up working out to about the same amount of omega fragments per epic item. So you might as well use the regular omegas, since they're less fiddly to use. The only exception would be if you need to upgrade something that you can't afford to throw away if it fails. Like one of the lockbox omni-beams or wide-angle cannons.

For rep/mission/fleet gear that you get at mk XII or higher, it's probably best to just forget about omegas altogether. If you really need to get those to epic, either use an ultimate upgrade, or wait until upgrade weekend and be prepared to throw dozens of phoenix upgrades at it.

*In general this is going to be crafted gear and lockbox weapons. You can't get rep and fleet gear at this level.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So what's the current best method of farming EC as a space poor who hasn't played in ~6 months?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Butternubs posted:

So what's the current best method of farming EC as a space poor who hasn't played in ~6 months?

Admiralty system probably. Assumes you have the admiralty ships to make it work though. Also time gated and RNG. Do your dailies too.

Honestly I no longer have any idea. EC farming the traditional way has been nerfed so much IDK anymore. RIP foundry farms.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

has this game been crashing a lot for anyone else? im getting crashes to desktop from the character picker

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

bij posted:

as a longterm goal for science hax builds is to get enough EC for the Verne (can be flown by everyone now) or if you like the KDF and Rom counterpart, the Qul'poH or Sui'Mor - the latter two dont have a cloak
what makes these ships so great is not the console or trait but the boff seating - temporal spec and alot of universal seatings means you can slot three science officers and stack them up with anomaly powers and thanks to the Spore-Infused Anomly trait from the Somerville/KDF Space Bus you will see alot of explosions

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DancingShade posted:

Admiralty system probably. Assumes you have the admiralty ships to make it work though. Also time gated and RNG. Do your dailies too.

Honestly I no longer have any idea. EC farming the traditional way has been nerfed so much IDK anymore. RIP foundry farms.

EC farming is basically all done via flipping poo poo on the exchange at this point. Do some admiralty or missions or whatever else to get yourself a few million as a bank roll, find some basic commodity item that people always seem to want to buy, watch it for a month or so to get a feel for when it's cheap, and just do the buy low sell high daytrader routine.

I've maxxed my EC on a couple of characters by having 2-3 things I'm constantly watching and just logging in once a day for five minutes to fiddle the exchange.

Frankly the exchange is the end game for me at this point. I

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Am I doing something wrong or are the account-wide reward boxes for the Klank recruit chain not working? The 25/25 boxes you get for each storyline completed that is.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The 25 mark boxes have been unopenable since the event launched it's not just you.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

STeelseries is doing the same giveaway that Intel did, still worth grabbing it for the extra inventory and bank slots: https://games.steelseries.com/giveaway/1507754604

note that when you get the key to only use the first word, the rest is some leftover coding gibberish

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dangit, I got my first phoenix prize pack and it gave me a phoenix replica - but as I hadn't unlocked shuttles on my Klingon at the time, I have no idea where it is or how to claim it.

What's the good stuff to get from the various offerings? I'm eyeing up the shotgun - does that still count for the melee kills part of the recruitment event?

Also, can I get an invite to TheNextGooneration? My Feddie is Cara@yvonmukluk#2219 & my Klingon is Karmar@yvonmukluk#2219. I think that's the right format?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 4, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dangit, I got my first phoenix prize pack and it gave me a phoenix replica - but as I hadn't unlocked shuttles on my Klingon at the time, I have no idea where it is or how to claim it.

It's in your admiralty list automatically, it's a one-shot phoenix token and comes with every phoenix box.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's the good stuff to get from the various offerings? I'm eyeing up the shotgun - does that still count for the melee kills part of the recruitment event?

Also, can I get an invite to TheNextGooneration? My Feddie is Cara@yvonmukluk#2219 & my Klingon is Karmar@yvonmukluk#2219. I think that's the right format?

shotgun doesn't count for melee, sadly. Neither do your boffs.

Your melee pets do, so your jackal mastiff can help out. Easiest way is just automating a blender on the infinite scorpion/mugato/targ spawn in partisans

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Spent all my dil on Phoenix packs. Got a single Ultra Rare token. I've already played with the Voth Vibe and the Luxury Yacht. How is the Chel Grett?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Re: The Omega Stabilization Daily listing all twenty locations

Teron D Amun posted:

you only need to do 3 of them and it completes
Once I knew this I actually liked the Omega Stabilization more since it was easier to just hit 3 of whatever co-located places among the 20 I was already near and complete the daily...

...but that turned out to be a glitch that they fixed today. It's now back to just listing three disparate locations. gently caress it, I'm gonna start soloing Defense of Starbase 1 like someone else in this thread suggested.

OTOH, I'll admit it was fun watching the STO Reddit poo poo all over this "fix" in the Patch notes thread today.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Could I get a channel invite as well? Valura@melisande77 for my fedrom and main.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hunter Noventa posted:

Spent all my dil on Phoenix packs. Got a single Ultra Rare token. I've already played with the Voth Vibe and the Luxury Yacht. How is the Chel Grett?

Honestly, unless you really want one of the UR ships I think the two experimental upgrades is by far the nicest pick from the UR phoenix prize. They're account bound, but give you a lot more flexibility in picking ships to upgrade.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Taerkar posted:

Am I doing something wrong or are the account-wide reward boxes for the Klank recruit chain not working? The 25/25 boxes you get for each storyline completed that is.
This got fixed with today's patch. You'll automatically get the 25 Fleet Marks as soon as you pick up the box but you can wait to open the box until later to claim the other 25. And you're looking for more Fleet Marks when you open the box you can choose to get that 25 as Fleet Marks as well.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The bird of prey is surprisingly fun to fly. Not a big fan of the Klingon side of things but I look forward to unlocking it cross-faction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Peyote Panda posted:

...but that turned out to be a glitch that they fixed today. It's now back to just listing three disparate locations. gently caress it, I'm gonna start soloing Defense of Starbase 1 like someone else in this thread suggested.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Yvonmukluk posted:

Eimi posted:

Could I get a channel invite as well? Valura@melisande77 for my fedrom and main.

Channel invites have been sent. Type "/channel_join TheNextGooneration" into your chat box. Ask for fleet invites in there and someone will get you sorted eventually.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bremen posted:

Honestly, unless you really want one of the UR ships I think the two experimental upgrades is by far the nicest pick from the UR phoenix prize. They're account bound, but give you a lot more flexibility in picking ships to upgrade.

Yeah I've still got a couple of the free ones they handed out hanging out in my bank because I'm indecisive and don't really have a ship across my alts that they all fly.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Not gonna lie it was very convenient to be able to just go ESD-> Wolf 356-> Sierra system for omega bits, but as people were trying to do all 20 spots I can see why they "fixed" this. Heck on 2 occasions for me the event completed itself when I had only finished 2 colors :downs:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

Channel invites have been sent. Type "/channel_join TheNextGooneration" into your chat box. Ask for fleet invites in there and someone will get you sorted eventually.

Thanks.

MREBoy posted:

Not gonna lie it was very convenient to be able to just go ESD-> Wolf 356-> Sierra system for omega bits, but as people were trying to do all 20 spots I can see why they "fixed" this. Heck on 2 occasions for me the event completed itself when I had only finished 2 colors :downs:

I hope it keeps the price on the exp booster from bottoming out too hard, been relying on it to get some income for my space poor rear end.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What's the reward option for the exp booster, mystery box?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

MREBoy posted:

Fortunately, it did let you know as soon as you completed any three locations (and they didn't have to be separate colors, you could just grab reds at SF Academy, ESD, and ESD orbit and be done) that you'd completed the Daily. And you can still collect Omega Particles even when you're not working the Daily at any of the locations.

I have to admit that while I was initially annoyed at the Omega Dailies going back to the old system, there is something adorably Cryptic about a QoL improvement that was getting positive feedback on multiple forums turning out to be a cock-up that they fixed ASAP.

Eh, still having fun with the Anniversary event and Klingon recruitment!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What's the reward option for the exp booster, mystery box?

Emotes for whatever reason.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

The reason is that emotes are an account-unlock, and they needed something to put in the box for players who had already unlocked all the emotes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eimi posted:

I would never have figured that out lol.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like Alexander K'mtar's revamp design. It reminds me of a Klingon version of My Hero Academia's Aizawa

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Vor'cha stats are out. Command spec, but otherwise it looks like a decent ship ... almost. For some bizarre reason they've made a 5/3 ship that can use dual cannons but only has a turn rate of 6.5. The existing T6 Vor'cha has a turn rate of 10. The trait might be ok, depends entirely on the actual stats which we don't have yet.