Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phigs posted:

Conan Exiles not having a compass on the UI is driving me crazy. I like that it doesn't have a minimap because I spend more time actually looking at the game world that way. But without the compass I can't quickly double-check my heading so I have to open the large map. And with the terrain the way it is you're often having to bypass mountains and whatnot that make it hard to tell where you're headed if you don't have the map memorized.

I'd also like Bethesda-style point of interest icons on my compass when I get close, though with the range being much shorter than in those games. Some places are so easy to miss if you don't have a filled out map open on another screen.

At least you can just climb most of those mountains. Who needs to go around the slow way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dying Light.

You spend so much time showing me how I can climb on so many things. And yet you don't let me climb on so many things. I guess corrugated steel = unclimbable but why

For a game about so much freedom, I wish they did a better job of keeping me enclosed instead of resorting to invisible walls. I'm running from zombies and I run up a hill and there is kind of a natural rocky foundation, but these rocks clearly have space on which I could stand, and the game has taught me that most things of a certain height are climbable, but these rocks simply aren't. I know, the game needs to keep me enclosed, but gently caress invisible walls are so lazy and counter-intuitive for a game that seems built around the idea of freedom of movement.

And on that same subject kinda: invisible death floors.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Borderlands 3 are right now pissing me off. I have found so many places that at first glance look like they don't lead anywhere, like it's off a cliff, but sure enough there are enough platforms that allow one to maneuver downward, downward, until inexplicably there is just a spot where it's instant death. How do you get through QA and still allow players to even reach the invisible death floor? I'm not trying to break the game, I'm just exploring like the game suggests I should do.

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Feb 18, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bogmonster posted:

I am quite enjoying Nier Automata but was it absolutely necessary for every character to have the most irritating anime-rear end poo poo voice acting?

Skip through it and enjoy the amazing music. I do not like anime at all but I adore that game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phigs posted:

Conan Exiles not having a compass on the UI is driving me crazy. I like that it doesn't have a minimap because I spend more time actually looking at the game world that way. But without the compass I can't quickly double-check my heading so I have to open the large map. And with the terrain the way it is you're often having to bypass mountains and whatnot that make it hard to tell where you're headed if you don't have the map memorized.

I'd also like Bethesda-style point of interest icons on my compass when I get close, though with the range being much shorter than in those games. Some places are so easy to miss if you don't have a filled out map open on another screen.

Does that game still have the problem where you need to start skinning animals to advance but there's no way to actually craft the lowest level skinning knife?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

credburn posted:

Dying Light.

You spend so much time showing me how I can climb on so many things. And yet you don't let me climb on so many things. I guess corrugated steel = unclimbable but why

For a game about so much freedom, I wish they did a better job of keeping me enclosed instead of resorting to invisible walls. I'm running from zombies and I run up a hill and there is kind of a natural rocky foundation, but these rocks clearly have space on which I could stand, and the game has taught me that most things of a certain height are climbable, but these rocks simply aren't. I know, the game needs to keep me enclosed, but gently caress invisible walls are so lazy and counter-intuitive for a game that seems built around the idea of freedom of movement.

Dying Light (and maybe the sequel, I haven't played that one) suffers from the same problem as Assassin's Creed used to have: demarcating what you can and can't climb is difficult but essential.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

Skip through it and enjoy the amazing music. I do not like anime at all but I adore that game.

The music is the most anime thing about the game tho.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Total War: Warhammer 3 doesn't have the expanded army lists from Age of Sigmar for the monogod armies, and that makes me sad.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Feb 18, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

muscles like this! posted:

Does that game still have the problem where you need to start skinning animals to advance but there's no way to actually craft the lowest level skinning knife?

No but it has its own talent line (along with the cleaver) separate from the other tools.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Suleman posted:

Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair:
Golden checkmates. The game has some pretty tricky jumps and collectables that you get ONE SHOT (per life) to get, and if you respawn at a checkpoint five times, it gives you the opportunity to skip to the next checkpoint. And the living checkpoint reminds you of this in a patronizing way every single time. The way they presented the mechanic turned an anti-frustration feature into a frustration feature. Please shut up, I can't skip forward, I need that completely useless coin for my collection. Also, the enemy I need to jump off doesn't respawn unless I die, so suicide by sawblade it is.

Unsighted has the same issue.
*dies, respawns*
"Hey did you know that you could dodge? Yeah it's a thing you can do, you know, to not get hit, like you did repeatedly, you imbecile."

I'd be better if they didn't frame it like your robo buddy is trying to be helpful, because it's so loving patronizing to be told about basic gameplay features when you die, cause like yeah totally I forgot the fundamental gameplay features, that's why I died, not because there are four enemies on the screen at once and they can all kill you in three hits except for one of them that can kill you in two.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thank you, Halo remaster, for checkpointing me in a room near the end of a stage, after reinforcements had both arrived and died, with three waves of enemies still to go. Oh, and you say this room has an inaccessible upper floor the player can't access but the enemies can spawn on, too. Can definitely see why you were the seminal, era-defining FPS of the 2000s.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Feb 18, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Thank you, Halo remaster, for checkpointing me in a room near the end of a stage, after reinforcements had both arrived and died, with three waves of enemies still to go. Oh, and you say this room has an inaccessible upper floor the player can't access but the enemies can spawn on, too. Can definitely see why you were the seminal, era-defining FPS of the 2000s.

We were still recovering from the crippling disaster of Y2K and just wanted some simple joy in our lives, we didn't know better

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't quite pin down how much of this complaint is genuine flaws in builder games vs. personal bugbears vs. Youtube personalities being vaguely repulsive, but something that's gotten stuck in my craw this week is how gross and unpleasant a lot of builder games make me feel.

I was trying to get into watching one of the eight million Banished playthroughs on Youtube and there's just something fundamentally off-putting about the mechanics requiring the player to actively manage the population. See, Banished is a survival builder game evoking a specific historical rural society, and one of the cornerstones of the underlying metagame is not having your population explode past its ability to support itself nor create such a wave that suddenly years down the line 80% of them die of old age at the same time. Which means carefully building out homes little by little so couples can move in and start boinking at a measured pace, with the end goal being a slow but steady supply of new people that you can put to work doing all the poo poo that needs doing. This soup of abstractions, explicit game mechanics, and implicit intended strategies makes me incredibly uncomfortable! Not the slightest bit helped by the ~realism~ of said couples being of the :yikes:ages you'd expect for a historical, rural setting and Youtubers subsequently needing to laugh that off, drawing attention to the whole thing even more.

And while obviously that's a problem specific to Banished (and probably the handful of other games that immediately followed trying to be Banished but even more convoluted and overdetailed), other builder games have had similar problems. I know, at least before it was overhauled, there were weird issues in Cities: Skylines with education where industrial jobs needed low-skilled workers...so if you sent too many people through school suddenly your industries would die off because everyone was overqualified to work a factory job. Which incentivized intentionally creating worse districts, under-served by schools, to keep blue collar workers coming in. :barf:

To say nothing of a lot of ugly biases and assumptions baked into urban planning theory and obviously capitalism in general looming over everything. It's all very much a "actually barbarians in Civ are kinda hosed up" kind of realization and it bums me out. :(

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

John Murdoch posted:

I can't quite pin down how much of this complaint is genuine flaws in builder games vs. personal bugbears vs. Youtube personalities being vaguely repulsive, but something that's gotten stuck in my craw this week is how gross and unpleasant a lot of builder games make me feel.

I was trying to get into watching one of the eight million Banished playthroughs on Youtube and there's just something fundamentally off-putting about the mechanics requiring the player to actively manage the population. See, Banished is a survival builder game evoking a specific historical rural society, and one of the cornerstones of the underlying metagame is not having your population explode past its ability to support itself nor create such a wave that suddenly years down the line 80% of them die of old age at the same time. Which means carefully building out homes little by little so couples can move in and start boinking at a measured pace, with the end goal being a slow but steady supply of new people that you can put to work doing all the poo poo that needs doing. This soup of abstractions, explicit game mechanics, and implicit intended strategies makes me incredibly uncomfortable! Not the slightest bit helped by the ~realism~ of said couples being of the :yikes:ages you'd expect for a historical, rural setting and Youtubers subsequently needing to laugh that off, drawing attention to the whole thing even more.

And while obviously that's a problem specific to Banished (and probably the handful of other games that immediately followed trying to be Banished but even more convoluted and overdetailed), other builder games have had similar problems. I know, at least before it was overhauled, there were weird issues in Cities: Skylines with education where industrial jobs needed low-skilled workers...so if you sent too many people through school suddenly your industries would die off because everyone was overqualified to work a factory job. Which incentivized intentionally creating worse districts, under-served by schools, to keep blue collar workers coming in. :barf:

To say nothing of a lot of ugly biases and assumptions baked into urban planning theory and obviously capitalism in general looming over everything. It's all very much a "actually barbarians in Civ are kinda hosed up" kind of realization and it bums me out. :(

All I got from this wall of text is that you're bothered by teens loving.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bogmonster posted:

I am quite enjoying Nier Automata but was it absolutely necessary for every character to have the most irritating anime-rear end poo poo voice acting?

English or Japanese

Cuz they're both perfect

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vic posted:

All I got from this wall of text is that you're bothered by teens loving.

Banished has 'em pairing off younger than teens, actually.

Also, gently caress off.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Exactly

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Gameplay abstraction (for example: how old people in games are when they procreate) is a real problem. I agree with you about Cities Skylines, too. If C:S wanted to say something with its systems rather than just give you a fun city sandbox, you could make something out of the fact that you need to have underserved neighborhoods in order to work in your dirty industries. But alas.

If you're looking for a Youtuber who treats the subject better, check out KatherineOfSky.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just met Sera in Dragon Age Inquisition and I already hate her. Manic pixie girl is the worst loving trope and she seems that dialed up to 11.

The mission you meet her in has her stealing all of the enemies pants because it’s hilarious.

On the upside, this will be the first time I actively try and piss off a party member to see if I can get them to leave.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I don't know if there were ever different plans for her embarrassing personality, but concept art Sera was buff and tan and didn't look like she had a sinus infection, and I have no idea why they settled on the design they did.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

moosecow333 posted:

I just met Sera in Dragon Age Inquisition and I already hate her. Manic pixie girl is the worst loving trope and she seems that dialed up to 11.

The mission you meet her in has her stealing all of the enemies pants because it’s hilarious.

On the upside, this will be the first time I actively try and piss off a party member to see if I can get them to leave.

I think Sera is the only party member you can outright kick out after joining.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I loving hate the YT vids I look up to help me through a level or the tough part of a game and 90% of it is some dweeb talking over it and trying to be funny/get famous by cracking unfunny jokes and saying "Aw, man, that's SICK" every third sentence.

I'm pretty old and to be fair it beats buying strategy guides or (if you're REAL OLD) calling into a hint line that you have to pay for. But, Christ, just play the game, stream it and MAYBE comment once in a while.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I loving hate the YT vids I look up to help me through a level or the tough part of a game and 90% of it is some dweeb talking over it and trying to be funny/get famous by cracking unfunny jokes and saying "Aw, man, that's SICK" every third sentence.

I'm pretty old and to be fair it beats buying strategy guides or (if you're REAL OLD) calling into a hint line that you have to pay for. But, Christ, just play the game, stream it and MAYBE comment once in a while.

Gamename + Longplay

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I miss the old GameFAQs style of walkthroughs. Having to describe in words what something looks like led to some very detailed descriptions, and it was usually pretty easy to know where they were talking about. Nowadays it's either a series of screenshots (usually with any travel time cut out so you don't know how far you have to actually go) or a video guide with commentary that's 95% irrelevant and 5% what you're actually looking for, but good luck figuring out what part of the video that is!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Philippe posted:

Gameplay abstraction (for example: how old people in games are when they procreate) is a real problem. I agree with you about Cities Skylines, too. If C:S wanted to say something with its systems rather than just give you a fun city sandbox, you could make something out of the fact that you need to have underserved neighborhoods in order to work in your dirty industries. But alas.

If you're looking for a Youtuber who treats the subject better, check out KatherineOfSky.

Also to be clear, there's a greater level to it where those abstractions factor into the gameplay such that the player is then made complicit in it. Like with Banished it's not simply that the simulation relies on babies having babies, it's that the player is implicitly tasked with manipulating the population correctly in order to create a more favorable outcome in the overall gamestate. I guess it's partly down to the difference between "passively-observed fish bowl" and "winnable game with explicit strategies and tactics" and the often thin line between them.

Shout out to Civ 4 where slavery was a codified mechanic and a common tactic was to "whip cities" to rush production. Very cool.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

moosecow333 posted:

Please tell me you’re playing as an elf

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Little thing dragging this thread (and video game discourse at large) down: People describing everything in every videogame from Japan as "anime" without actually articulating what that means or what makes it good or bad. How the hell is the music in Nier "anime"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

"The gameplay was excellent but the control scheme was very anime"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JackSplater posted:

I miss the old GameFAQs style of walkthroughs. Having to describe in words what something looks like led to some very detailed descriptions, and it was usually pretty easy to know where they were talking about. Nowadays it's either a series of screenshots (usually with any travel time cut out so you don't know how far you have to actually go) or a video guide with commentary that's 95% irrelevant and 5% what you're actually looking for, but good luck figuring out what part of the video that is!

Sort of. I don't mind the video guides and it's often more helpful SEEING instead of READING a description of where you're at and what to do but I don't need the people playing it trying to do stand up comedy, never shutting up and trying way too hard to be internet celebrities and get likes. I usually just turn the sound off if I can't find a stream that is simply showing me what I need to look at and how I'm loving up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The story had all the narrative complexity of a Coppola epic, while the gameplay itself was infused with just a hint of Tarantino in its manic flow.

I did not care for the UI, anime as it was.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

somepartsareme posted:

Little thing dragging this thread (and video game discourse at large) down: People describing everything in every videogame from Japan as "anime" without actually articulating what that means or what makes it good or bad. How the hell is the music in Nier "anime"

Man this post is anime as hell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hmm, yes. All media is blood.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Everything is sex, except sex, which is power

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I didn't know Monae was quoting Wilde there

e: Except she probably wasn't, motherfuckers are always attributing quotes to people

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

somepartsareme posted:

I'm willing to bet everyone reading that post knows exactly what it means and good or bad is going to come down to how you feel about anime.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

rodbeard posted:

I'm willing to bet everyone reading that post knows exactly what it means and good or bad is going to come down to how you feel about anime.

I'd be really surprised if anyone who doesn't know anything about Nier would be able to accurately guess what the music is like based on it being called "anime". It's not exactly jpop magical girl anime ops

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

weeb

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

She's also the most reactionary and conservative person on the entire cast. She's an elf going "It's correct and proper for elves to be oppressed, actually."

Then if you try to romance her as an elf (she's the lesbian romance option), she pulls a classic tactic of real-life emotional abusers. Also, if you're an elf, she laughs in your face if your family dies during the story.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

On the other hand, video guides where the person doesn't talk can gently caress off forever. Don't make me read your guide in a video. That's the worst of both worlds and I cannot believe it exists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

I'd be really surprised if anyone who doesn't know anything about Nier would be able to accurately guess what the music is like based on it being called "anime". It's not exactly jpop magical girl anime ops

It's an impressively lazy way to describe things because it doesn't help at all. Like, this is all anime but aside from 'they probably used a computer to put it together at some point' I don't see how they're related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAPgPH9hsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUrIeteNvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDLBKpbXQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YGNo3_BoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA5MvVjawMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty easy to tell tbh. Like, it's hard to find a more anime game than Devil May Cry - it's about a white haired shirtless anime pretty boi with a huge sword

so to get a feel for what music is anime, just listen to its soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwIcZt0-g4

Peak anime right there.