Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TGLT posted:

Is there a word for offensive rebranding? Cuz I'm all for that and we can call it the kneecap repeal or something.

Its a name among political nerds like us who follow it way too closely. If it passed, the GOP would probably call it the MAGA, most awesome health care, you'll get sick of winning when you see the health care you'll get, bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

https://twitter.com/EnemyOfBoth/status/890026550615306240

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TGLT posted:

They did not get through clean repeal, that is tomorrow. They just shot down the BCRA+Cruz Amendment. No one expects clean repeal to survive either. Fact they're not voting on it tonight is probably, as some one earlier said, McConnell buying time for votes for their real plan which is the skinny repeal.

Is there a word for offensive rebranding? Cuz I'm all for that and we can call it the kneecap repeal or something.

Starvation repeal.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

OddObserver posted:

Starvation repeal.

stop stealing mah jokes!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Rigel posted:

They have a score for skinny repeal. It feels new to us, but it was an old idea that got scored long ago. It is by far the least-bad serious idea the GOP has, which is why we are nervous that the moderates might accept it.

They actually don't. The CBO score you see being thrown around is this one https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/2016/52232

It only talks about the individual mandate. If there's one that covers all the elements I've heard about for skinny repeal I haven't seen it.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure decorum states this can only be brought up for vote on Hallows Eve, 60 votes in the absence of a full moon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should just call the legislation Project Death Spiral IMO

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Two Inch Bee posted:

"Wow, dilbert guy, you're a piece of poo poo."

"Ha ha! I forced you to compare me to poop! Another victory for the master manipulator!"
You gotta remember that Scott Adams believes that sweaters are a conspiracy to un-man real men by emasculating them because sweaters.

I couldn't make it up if i tried.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

America delenda est

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

The Glumslinger posted:

No, the 60 vote requirement for unscored amendments is when you vote on the amendment. After that, the bill would still only need 50 votes

So why not have 10 dems vote for it to amend the bill with the Cruz Amendment as a poisin pill because the GOP would never get 50 votes on the final bill?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I wish they wouldn't call it the skinny appeal because it still causes a death spiral of the insurance markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't skinny repeal leave Medicaid alone? Wouldn't it be ironic (still horrible) if the GOP hosed the private insurance market but left government health programs alone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

coyo7e posted:

You gotta remember that Scott Adams believes that sweaters are a conspiracy to un-man real men by emasculating them because sweaters.

Just how wrong do you have to put one on for it to be an emasculation threat?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Two Inch Bee posted:

"Wow, dilbert guy, you're a piece of poo poo."

"Ha ha! I forced you to compare me to poop! Another victory for the master manipulator!"

"Now off to pretend-rape women with my masterful powers of ~erotic hypnotism~! I'm *totally* a master hypnotist - women just don't pretend to go into trance because I've got a 75 million dollar net worth."

Aves Maria! posted:

skinny repeal bc you're literally starving to death trying to pay for your family's health care

"So you're saying that by being good Conservatives that we'll also solve the nation's diabetes and obesity epidemic? Score!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 26, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

So why not have 10 dems vote for it to amend the bill with the Cruz Amendment as a poisin pill because the GOP would never get 50 votes on the final bill?

Because then it's "bipartisan," which means Democrats surrender "we were all against it" and the GOP moderates have cover to vote for it.

God you're stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mantis42 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't skinny repeal leave Medicaid alone? Wouldn't it be ironic (still horrible) if the GOP hosed the private insurance market but left government health programs alone.

What do you think is going to happen when people have to choose between having a job and being poor so they can have health insurance to live.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

coyo7e posted:

scott adams looks like a castrated worm so it's strange to hear him talking about real men

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I can't tell exactly what his point is with this. I guess he's implying that older reporters are too nice about McCain?

I'll play devil's advocate -- is it really inconsistent for him to be against the whole process and new bill as it has been stated, yet still be for a debate that could potentially improve the bill, and at least in the broadest theoretical sense improve healthcare given the possibility of actual debate and actual non-partisan consensus?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This thread must be confusing as hell to foreign goons with all the hyper-detailed and technical legislative talk about how evil legislation that could kill a horrifying amount of poor Americans may or may not pass.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Because then it's "bipartisan," which means Democrats surrender "we were all against it" and the GOP moderates have cover to vote for it.

God you're stupid.

That seems like a pretty stupid political logic. I don't think Moderates are going to vote for a bill that will destroy healthcare for everyone in America just because Dems voted on it during procedurals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mantis42 posted:

That would be one weird rear end reversal of fortune. So wouldn't it cause a greater amount of people to ditch private insurance in favor of Medicaid?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I can't tell exactly what his point is with this. I guess he's implying that older reporters are too nice about McCain?

I'll play devil's advocate -- is it really inconsistent for him to be against the whole process and new bill as it has been stated, yet still be for a debate that could potentially improve the bill, and at least in the broadest theoretical sense improve healthcare given the possibility of actual debate and actual non-partisan consensus?

too late buddy he voted for the absolute worst version of the obamacare repeal immediately

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What do you think is going to happen when people have to choose between having a job and being poor so they can have health insurance to live.

They'll probably die because Medicaid is hard to get on in a lot of states.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

That seems like a pretty stupid political logic. I don't think Moderates are going to vote for a bill that will destroy healthcare for everyone in America just because Dems voted on it during procedurals.

Motherfucker are you not familiar with the GOP

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The starvation plan still get's rid of the employer an individual mandate without those then that basically poisons the entire concept of Obamacare.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I mean if you expect them to pass some kind of bill you should tip their hand at passing a bill that will destroy the entire market for everyone and blame it on them. That's the only really winning strategy to fix the issue.

You prioritize killing the least amount in the long term by killing a lot more now and fixing it within 4 years then having a lower amount of people killed over 8 or 16.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

This thread must be confusing as hell to foreign goons with all the hyper-detailed and technical legislative talk about how evil legislation that could kill a horrifying amount of poor Americans may or may not pass.

nah we're used to how you people roll by now. playing calvinball with death is just another tuesday

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

never gave any indication that he gave a gently caress what colorado thought

He's backed by oil and gas in a big way. He needs Koch money to have a chance at winning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rigel posted:

Oh I think the election more or less exposed that America was waltzing over the cliff edge.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm going to sleep. I'm hoping to wake up to 800 new posts about how Sessions was thrown out on his rear end in the middle of the night.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

So they still have to vote on the 2015 Repeal and the Skinny Repeal, yeah?

I'm not confident the Skinny Repeal will fail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

He already said he's voting for the skinny repeal, per this thread. God I hate that I had to use that name.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Now off to pretend-rape women with my masterful powers of ~erotic hypnotism~! I'm *totally* a master hypnotist - women just don't pretend to go into trance because I've got a 75 million dollar net worth."

To be fair, they could be gold digging and have a hypnotism fetish at the same time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

too late buddy he voted for the absolute worst version of the obamacare repeal immediately

well at least he corrected that one old lady who called obama a muslim once in that town hall meeting

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OddObserver posted:

Just how wrong do you have to put one on for it to be an emasculation threat?
Learn for yourself. It's an MRA screed of glory.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/146361457021/the-humiliation-of-the-american-male-in-2016

Just remember that it's all about ethics in games journalism

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/shakeitrecords/status/889963865072689152

Tom Price thinks this is good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

skylined! posted:

i'd like to get a tally of those in this thread that honestly know people who will do whatever they can to mooch off the government so they do not have to work. i would wager that the problem is a lot more overblown than this nice gentleman makes it out to be.

i am almost 32, and have met 3 people like this in my very not-sheltered life. all 3 of them had crippling addictions and 1 of them had a terminal illness.

Few pages back but I feel it's worth mentioning that I have a friend that HATED Obama, was disgusted by the policies he put in place, thinks Trump is the second coming, and oh also he took advantage of Obama's housing relief programs to walk away from his underwater mortgage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

That's only like 10 percent of the thread, it's also about 30 percent people responding to Trump tweets with "I dare you!" and 60 percent a bunch of whining about what hypocrites we are for not being as angry at the inventor of the car as we are at Brain Drain McCain and his Repeal Pain Train

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Actually doesn't the Skinny Repeal have to get thrown back to the House where the HFC may very well strangle it in its crib? That's basically what we originally thought this whole process was going to be. The House passing an abomination, the Senate rejecting it and passing something a lot less terrible, and then the House rejecting that basically killing it. It took longer with more steps as it looked like that the Senate might end up passing something worse than the House bill but it seems the original theory of how this was all going to go might be exactly what happens.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crabtree posted:

To be fair, they could be gold digging and have a hypnotism fetish at the same time.

"I ain't sayin' she's a gold diggah, but she ain't fuckin' wit' no broke wigga."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

and yeah the individual mandate is kind of the linchpin of obamacare given that there is no universal option and if you only vote against that you're basically just being a dick that is screwing over everyone, people AND health insurance combined, just to say "har har, look at how we didn't go far enough, better get rid of medicaid"

• Locked thread