Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wait, people use STR weapons but then don't 2H them at all times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thanks for the recs, the RNG has not given me a single rare drop so far despite walking around with 9 soft humanity so I might just end up farming the Manserpent Greatsword when I get to Sen's. And the Axe Black Knight is in Tomb of Giants right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

multijoe posted:

Thanks for the recs, the RNG has not given me a single rare drop so far despite walking around with 9 soft humanity so I might just end up farming the Manserpent Greatsword when I get to Sen's. And the Axe Black Knight is in Tomb of Giants right?

No, in the bottom of the Catacombs, on a ledge just above the room with all the bonewheels. The Tomb has a halberd guy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's going to be a worse grind to 30? Vertebra Shackles or Proofs of a Concord Kept?

Should either one just be NPC grinded if my character isn't particularly good at PVP? Playing a sorcerer. Currently level 50 and not in NG+ yet. Got most of the rest of the covenants done. Except Farron. Ugh. Not sure if I should NPC grind that or try in NG+ because I think it's probably too late by SL50 in this current run.

Just grabbing all the sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/rings/gestures.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zesty posted:

What's going to be a worse grind to 30? Vertebra Shackles or Proofs of a Concord Kept?

Proofs infinitely because you can just grab a guy from Reddit and summon him thirty times as a red phantom

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If you were to actually grind the mobs, vertebra shackles is going to take less time but be way more infuriating because the large skeletons are assholes strewn all about the catacombs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If I grind them out, I'll do it just before moving to NG+. So that should help. Just don't know what to expect from that. Extremely low drop chance and all. Already feel like I'm definitely going to do it with Farron.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Zesty posted:

Got most of the rest of the covenants done. Except Farron.
Farron is one of the easier ones to grind solo. Keep Ruins bonfire, pop a coin, fight the 3 Ghrus, back to bonfire. Rinse, repeat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you want to grind vertebra shackles just invade the aldrich faithful area and stab the infinite aldrich covenant dudes in the back.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zesty posted:

Should either one just be NPC grinded if my character isn't particularly good at PVP? Playing a sorcerer. Currently level 50 and not in NG+ yet. Got most of the rest of the covenants done. Except Farron. Ugh. Not sure if I should NPC grind that or try in NG+ because I think it's probably too late by SL50 in this current run.

Just grabbing all the sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/rings/gestures.

Grinding mobs is the absolute worst way to get PvP tokens, the droprate is abysmal even when stacking item discovery+coins, and it's a 100% drop from dunking other players. There are many players who stink out loud in PvP, just kill them. If you lose there are literally no consequences to dying as an invader, simply try again. Purple invasions let you really stir poo poo up because everyone is on the menu and you benefit from killing other phantoms as much as killing the host (but kill the host too if you get a chance).

Darkmoon invasions can go by fairly quick since you'll be assisting the host who may very likely be trying to build a gank squad. Killing someone who belongs to Rosaria's Fingers specifically gives Proof of a Concord Twice Kept, which counts for double.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Mound makers is such a brilliant covenant idea lol. Just mad phantoms who show up, will they attack you? Will they help you? Who knows!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Proofs of a Concord Kept are the worst pvp item to farm because the summoning is entirely passive and automatic (and way less frequent than aldrich/farron).
You can't just sit down to an afternoon of blue-phantoming like you can for vertebra or sunlight medals, you've gotta do something else and wait to get autosummoned. At least the fights are easier since you'll almost always outnumber the baddies.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Darkmoon invasions can go by fairly quick since you'll be assisting the host who may very likely be trying to build a gank squad. Killing someone who belongs to Rosaria's Fingers specifically gives Proof of a Concord Twice Kept, which counts for double.

It's actually Aldrich Faithful that drop the twin Concords, not Fingers. I guess it's appropriate considering the current relations between Aldrich and Gwyndolin :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Grinding mobs is the absolute worst way to get PvP tokens, the droprate is abysmal even when stacking item discovery+coins, and it's a 100% drop from dunking other players. There are many players who stink out loud in PvP, just kill them. If you lose there are literally no consequences to dying as an invader, simply try again. Purple invasions let you really stir poo poo up because everyone is on the menu and you benefit from killing other phantoms as much as killing the host (but kill the host too if you get a chance).

There is one consequence of dying as an invader - you drop your souls. It's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but it is a downside.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Mound makers is such a brilliant covenant idea lol. Just mad phantoms who show up, will they attack you? Will they help you? Who knows!

It really is, and I have seen it played brilliantly too. I summoned a Purple right after Pope Sully, because gently caress it - why not? So he pops in, seems friendly. I point where I'm headed (to fight the gatordogs) and he heads off that way, killing mobs - correctly assuming I wasn't gonna lead and turn my back on him. We get to the ladder having murdered everything outside save the Silver Knights, so we go up instead and kill all of them. It's been a good 10-15 minutes at this point, so I'm pretty trusting of him. He hasn't even hit me accidentally.

So we head back to the ladder down to the gatordogs and I'm not even thinking about it, but I let him go first. :(

It was so perfect that I sent him a message telling him so. A+ FriendOrFoeBro would summon again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

It really is, and I have seen it played brilliantly too. I summoned a Purple right after Pope Sully, because gently caress it - why not? So he pops in, seems friendly. I point where I'm headed (to fight the gatordogs) and he heads off that way, killing mobs - correctly assuming I wasn't gonna lead and turn my back on him. We get to the ladder having murdered everything outside save the Silver Knights, so we go up instead and kill all of them. It's been a good 10-15 minutes at this point, so I'm pretty trusting of him. He hasn't even hit me accidentally.

So we head back to the ladder down to the gatordogs and I'm not even thinking about it, but I let him go first. :(

It was so perfect that I sent him a message telling him so. A+ FriendOrFoeBro would summon again.

Purple phantoms like that are amazing because you KNOW at some point there'll be an impromptu square-off that you're both expecting to break out at any moment. It's like some kind of social experiment, really; when will the alliance break down? How long can you keep up the facade that you trust each other? Usually until you get to a ladder or elevator :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

GrossMurpel posted:

That was me before I learnt the true glory of pancaking enemies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GrossMurpel posted:

If you're a cool kid you'll use a fast fire weapon in your offhand with the Vordt hammer so after a frostbite proc you can quickly 1h it and give the enemy a flaming cestus slap. The fire damage resets frostbite status so you can apply it again for even more damage. Great against frostbite-weak bosses that get the status from 1-3 Vordthammer hits.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also nobody seems to talk about the fact that Sunbro invaders are aligned differently from other invaders? I tried to bump off some people to get my last few medals and on top of constantly getting summoned into 1v4s the few times I did delay long enough to get more reds on my team I would often accidentally kill them, because that's greathammers for ya. These weren't purples of any stripe, I'm pretty sure, either regular reds or fingers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Reds can always kill other reds. But if they're not a mound maker they don't get anything good out of it.
It's a big problem when chasing after a host with a big giant strength weapon -- sometimes the host will dodge my running/rolling attack but it'll hit another red phantom right on the chin.

Having the sunbro covenant equipped does weight your invaders towards worlds with more players though. 1v4s mean the host has used the dried finger, which allows a fourth friendly phantom but also means a second red phantom can invade. And sunbro invasions prioritize those two-red-phantoms-at-once worlds.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 25, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wow, that's kinda dumb. Also makes targeting an absolute nightmare. No, I don't want to lock onto the guy that's on my side, From.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And sunbro invasions prioritize those two-red-phantoms-at-once worlds.
Oh snap did not know that, thanks for the tip.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Invading as a sunbro always amused me because their idea of co-op is pretty twisted.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I had a moundmaker guy join and immediately eat two great soul dregs to the dome and explode. God I love this game. I feel like magic in general is pretty tough in the ringed city. Feels like everything has lots of hp, hits for a metric poo poo ton, and is fairly resistant to dark. Not a great combo for a little guy like me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Decided to give this another shot now that I've got a computer that doesn't run it at a slideshow and I'm enjoying it a lot more, especially since I learned from Bloodborne to just rush stuff down with twinblades instead of trying to block. I usually like to level health/stamina before damage stats, is doing a Raw infusion in the early game good until I start putting points into stats? Just killed Vordt

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

StashAugustine posted:

Decided to give this another shot now that I've got a computer that doesn't run it at a slideshow and I'm enjoying it a lot more, especially since I learned from Bloodborne to just rush stuff down with twinblades instead of trying to block. I usually like to level health/stamina before damage stats, is doing a Raw infusion in the early game good until I start putting points into stats? Just killed Vordt

Yes, that’s the way to go. Health is really good in this game

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Raw is extremely good in this game; you likely won't be need to have anything else until you hit the +6 range. Some weapons seem to take Raw infusions much better than others too, like the Mace, if that's your jam. Health and stamina are always crucial to the point I'd actually just recommend gunning to 30 VIG as soon as you can, for a nice round 1100 HP. Get your base weapon requirements and BULK UP :black101:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
If you don't have a claymore yet, you can definitely get that. It's at the part where a dragon breathes fire over all these guys and roasts em. It is a really good weapon. I don't know for sure if it's great for raw, but I do know that the move set is really good. It allows a good long range poke, has a good one hand and two hand moveset, and can be used all the way through the game. Claymore is love, claymore is life.

I made a bleed build and am going to play that later tonight. Anyone wanna co op on PC?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

Yes. My current run, I basically instantly Raw Infused my Sellsword Twinblades. I kept them raw until I could +4 and Sharp Infused them, even then it was technically a small AR loss until I hit like 20 DEX.

Before then, I spent all my points in VIG and END, more weighting on VIG. SSTB feels very stamina efficient, it's no Ultra. Your PvE bread and butter is the L1-L1-L1, and PvP is L1-L2-R2. Neither of which dump your whole stamina bar.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DishonestHeavenlyInchworm-mobile.mp4

ok.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

vandalism posted:

Anyone wanna co op on PC?

I am always up for jolly cooperation on PC!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Naked in DS3 :chloe:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Playing a low-middling SL sorcerer with no vitality and I want fast roll. :shrug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That one is severely bugged, I only get the ring about half the time

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My understanding of DS3 rules is that there is a straight up defense malus for not having your slots filled.

May as well put on the lighest possible armor. That means Master's Set + Ragged Mask + Loincloth.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

My understanding of DS3 rules is that there is a straight up defense malus for not having your slots filled.

May as well put on the lighest possible armor. That means Master's Set + Ragged Mask + Loincloth.

My caster looks like a swaddled baby raisin, a chewed-up cigar in a robe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is the first half of the game. It's fine.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

https://media.giphy.com/media/HNLcnQHNal5sguIFwC/giphy.mp4
Hitbox on point

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Reading the DS3 reddit, it appears that there are some nasty hacks going on. Has anyone successfully used the Blue Sentinel mod? I wanna protect myself but I don't wanna get in trouble. I have modded plenty of games before, but never dark souls. It feels like something sacred to me, and therefore I don't touch it. If it saves me from random shitlords, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You should use it.

Part of the reason I didn't do much with DS3 hack-wise is because on release I near-immediately realized it was going to be an immense shitshow, and it was not worth doing ridiculous hack arms-races.