Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
So far the debates have been more of a risk than a benefit for Trump and Carson. With their combined ~50% polling, they benefit from making the debates even more of a clown car mess. If there are 15 bozos up there no individual will have enough screen time to get a knockout performance and challenge them effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Anecdote from a guy in Florida time: of my Republican coworkers, they loving hate the RNC and cheer trump for sticking it to them.

(Jeb is of course also a non entity here. Seriously seen more Carson bumper stickers)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of the demands should be to take that picture of Gil from the Simpsons and tape it to a podium since Jon Gilmore still hasn't qualified for a debate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Have Jim Gilmore debate Lessig. Or Alvin Greene.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Post-debate FL poll from "Viewpoint Florida."

Trump 27
Rubio 16
Carson 15
Cruz and Jeb! 12
Fiorina 4
"Other" 5

They asked Jeb supporters about second choices and literally all said Rubio, so without Jeb Rubio narrowly leads 28-27.

Also there's a pre-debate Georgia poll from Survey USA.

Clinton 73
Sanders 16
O'Malley 4

Trump 35
Carson 28
Rubio 12
Cruz 8
Jeb! 4
Fiorina/Huckabee 3
Kasich 2

Georgia is Super Tuesday (March 1st).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Possible campaign craziness, Donald Trump's new book, expected to cover parts of his life that make him out to be a relatable, presidential figure, actually is about a terrifying future America where everyone is given a severe disability by non-disabled dystopian ruler Beb Jush

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 18, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I simply cannot contain my excrement.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jeb! says he eats nails when he wakes up, seemingly in an attempt to signal he's tough?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I simply cannot contain my excrement.

I wouldn't try it. It's bad for your colon.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Baloogan posted:

go to sleep oli, the internet will still be around when you wake up.

Huh

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

I love it. the Republican party is freaking out and attacking itself more then its attacking the other party

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jeb! says he eats nails when he wakes up, seemingly in an attempt to signal he's tough?

He's the next LA beast

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

So far the debates have been more of a risk than a benefit for Trump and Carson. With their combined ~50% polling, they benefit from making the debates even more of a clown car mess. If there are 15 bozos up there no individual will have enough screen time to get a knockout performance and challenge them effectively.

I think there are two sides, one: Cull the low-polling clowns for more time in the debates and control narrative that way or, two: give all the low-pollers airtime, and keep them in the race - thus splitting the natural constituencies.

If Trump did advocate for everyone to be in, I think that makes sense for him- as rightfully pointed out in this thread - , his biggest weakness is not looking 'strong' in the polls. The longer he can dilute narrative, and keep candidates from gaining momentum, the better for him, as he can keep his polls in the lead and avoid in-depth scrutiny. Plus, it provides a target-rich environment for Trump to use his natural skills.

I think the worst thing for Trump would be the rapid dropping of folks like Jeb and Christie - as it might allow Rubio (or whoever) to start polling above him, and he would lose his polling strength.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aliquid posted:

tbh it was neil

Isn't Neil the one who got mixed up in the S&L scandal of the 80s?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pinterest Mom posted:

With or without milk?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Joementum posted:

These negotiations are good for everyone except Trump. If you're one of the C-list candidates, anything is going to be an improvement over what you've got now. One of the demands is apparently equal time for each person on stage. Rand Paul and John Kasich are going to benefit from that a lot more than Trump and Carson. There's talk of either having a debate will all 15 candidates or mixing-and-matching, which benefits Graham and Santorum. The only person losing by doing this is Trump because he does best when he can complain about the media and he won't be able to do that as effectively if he's the one making the rules.

I dunno that I'd agree with that. Trump is pretty horrible at actually debating, and 15 idiots on stage all struggling to talk over each other really plays towards his strength of picking off the weak with sick burns. He seems perfectly happy to sit back and watch the garbage fire, complain later on twitter, and act like the whole farce is beneath him. The bigger the garbage fire, the easier it is for him to pull that off. His leadership (or not) of behind closed doors dealmaking is way too inside baseball for even the above average voter, and if someone actually confronts Trump on it he's shown he has no problem outright lying about objective reality.

Who I think it really hurts are candidates like Jeb! and Rubio who are running a more traditional campaign and need to put forward a strong stage presence. More manchild candidates on stage hurfing about blurfing means there's fewer opportunities to really shine and show off Leadership. Rubio's 11th commandment shtick hit it out of the park last time, and it's far harder to not "attack" candidates who exist solely for extremist single issue voters. Doubly so when the underdog has no incentive to play by the same rules.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jeb Can Fix It is trending big on Twitter, which is always a good sign except people are pointing out the slogan is apparently ripped off from Bob The Builder?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jeb Can Fix It is trending big on Twitter, which is always a good sign except people are pointing out the slogan is apparently ripped off from Bob The Builder?

Also a slight similarity to Yan Can Cook!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And, y'know, Wreck-it-Ralph

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Joementum posted:

These negotiations are good for everyone except Trump. If you're one of the C-list candidates, anything is going to be an improvement over what you've got now. One of the demands is apparently equal time for each person on stage. Rand Paul and John Kasich are going to benefit from that a lot more than Trump and Carson. There's talk of either having a debate will all 15 candidates or mixing-and-matching, which benefits Graham and Santorum. The only person losing by doing this is Trump because he does best when he can complain about the media and he won't be able to do that as effectively if he's the one making the rules.

I think the 'complain about the moderators/media' angle was usurped by the other candidates last debate so it's time to move on. Trump and Carson now want to cripple the impact of the debates, which plays right into their hands. The story now becomes the poo poo-show, and not the substance of the debates.

Also the only candidate with any power in negotiating with the Networks is Trump. If Trump walks away from a debate the Networks will potentially lose tens of millions of dollars in ad-revenue, the same cannot be said for the other candidates. He's holding the entire process hostage and is gutting one of the tools the GOP tried to use to destroy him.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
In the news I'm seeing Chris Christie complaining about the candidates taking control of the debates. The few good moments CC has had so far have been times in the debate where he acts all outaged about something a moderator said. Neutering moderators and diluting to the debates with more candidates would potentially take away the one spotlight where he temporarily shines.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I hope more people connect it with "Jim'll Fix It," but I guess that's unlikely since even that Cameron pigfucking story didn't really blow up in the US.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Montasque posted:

I think the 'complain about the moderators/media' angle was usurped by the other candidates last debate so it's time to move on. Trump and Carson now want to cripple the impact of the debates, which plays right into their hands. The story now becomes the poo poo-show, and not the substance of the debates.

Also the only candidate with any power in negotiating with the Networks is Trump. If Trump walks away from a debate the Networks will potentially lose tens of millions of dollars in ad-revenue, the same cannot be said for the other candidates. He's holding the entire process hostage and is gutting one of the tools the GOP tried to use to destroy him.

Yeah. It's a pretty big win for Trump and it's awesome in a cathartic "gently caress you GOP" way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Montasque posted:

How much ad revenue is really on the line? The CNBC debate was all nearly all house ads - they didn't manage to sell a thing.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cnbc-republican-debate-ads-sold-834891

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

How much ad revenue is really on the line? The CNBC debate was all nearly all house ads - they didn't manage to sell a thing.

quote:

CNBC has sold out its commercial inventory ahead of Wednesday’s GOP debate, the network told TheWrap on Tuesday.

Spots are reportedly selling at $250,000 for 30-second commercials, and in some cases, even more.

That amount is 25 percent more than CNN pocketed for its GOP debate in September and a huge increase from CNBC’s normal primetime rate of $50,000.

http://www.thewrap.com/cnbc-sells-out-gop-debate-ad-space-at-hefty-price/#.dpuf

We're you watching a stream of CNBC international/Europe like I was? If so I doubt they had much ad-buys.

EDIT: It's really rough out there in TV land - Ratings are down almost across the board, and cable is suffering as internet streaming becomes more and more popular. The fact that Trump is bringing ratings/ad revenue in a time when networks are struggling gives him even more power over the process.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 2, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This "Jeb Can Fix It" thing has made me somehow feel embarrassment for a political campaign

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If Jeb opens every speech with this song from now on, he's guaranteed to drastically rise in the polls.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't Neil the one who got mixed up in the S&L scandal of the 80s?

Neil is also the one who claimed that he didn't realize that the strange women he had sex with in Hong Kong were prostitutes...they just showed up at his door unrequested, had sex with him, and left without payment. How was he to know his clients had purchased their services?

Edit: this was while his brother was President.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

reminds me of another photo of a guy in front of a banner

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

oddium posted:

they should have putin moderate the debate and just cut to the chase

Would be amazing if for no other reason than he'd infantilize the candidates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flC---s2moA

Montasque posted:

http://www.thewrap.com/cnbc-sells-out-gop-debate-ad-space-at-hefty-price/#.dpuf

We're you watching a stream of CNBC international/Europe like I was? If so I doubt they had much ad-buys.

EDIT: It's really rough out there in TV land - Ratings are down almost across the board, and cable is suffering as internet streaming becomes more and more popular. The fact that Trump is bringing ratings/ad revenue in a time when networks are struggling gives him even more power over the process.

The terrible live stream they had on their site for cable subscribers didn't have any ads at all, just some melodramatic action-y music playing over a CNBC REPUBLICAN DEBATE: YOUR MONEY. YOUR CHOICE. or whatever the tagline was

ATribeCalledKvetch fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fabricated posted:

This "Jeb Can Fix It" thing has made me somehow feel embarrassment for a political campaign

You have a larger reserve of sympathy than I do, though Jeb! became governor when I was in 9th grade so I think I get a pass for being pleased with how his political ambitions are dying a slow, lingering death. gently caress Jeb Bush. Florida wasn't exactly Vermont when he took office but he hosed the place up something fierce and being embarrassed on a national stage to the point where his family name is toxic for a few generations is at least a small bit of karmic justice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh boy, Carson is showing up here in Tallahassee for a campaign event!

(spoiler: It's at a books-a-million to just shill his book for sale)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Carly talking 3rd person

quote:

ROBERTS: Is there a double standard here, Ms. Fiorina, for Republican women? I can’t imagine that they would say things like that about Hillary Clinton.

FIORINA: Yeah. I think there’s a double standard. It’s funny, you know. I was on “The View” several months ago. They said none of that to my face.

There is nothing more threatening to the liberal media in general, and to Hillary Clinton in particular, than a conservative woman. So of course there’s a double standard. And conservative women — from Sarah Palin to to Michele Bachmann to Carly Fiorina — are long used to this.

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/11/carly-fiorina-nobody-mocks-hillary

Yes, because Hillary Clinton has never been attacked on her looks

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

reminds me of another photo of a guy in front of a banner

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Carly talking 3rd person

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/11/carly-fiorina-nobody-mocks-hillary

Yes, because Hillary Clinton has never been attacked on her looks

Male politicians get no heat for their looks. Just ask Chris Christie!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
W at least looked good in his staged photo, and had a pretty badass lead-up to it with Navy One landing on an aircraft carrier. Jeb just looks how people feel when they get off work from being a cashier at Wal-Mart.

Back on topic, this whole RNC exclusion thing is great for Trump. He gets to look Presidential and tough for being the one calling the shots, while at the same time seeming egalitarian, magnanimous, and professional by calling for the C-list candidates to be included. While it serves his interests directly to pile more poo poo on the fire, doing so in the way he is doing makes it look like he cares about the process of democracy: he doesn't want any potentially valid voice to be excluded, and he's willing to sacrifice his own chance to be the star of the show in lieu of propping up the little guy who's struggling to pull himself up by his bootstraps. He comes off as the idyllic compassionate conservative, and that ought to be the spin he puts on it: that he's not only so great that he's winning this thing but also that he's willing to help out other people even though it might hurt him (lol).

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Trump slams Wasserman Schultz as 'crazy' and 'highly neurotic'

quote:

On the Democratic side, Trump said, "[y]ou have this crazy Wasserman Schultz — Deborah Wasserman Schultz — who is in there, a highly neurotic woman."

"This is a woman that is a terrible person. I watch her on television. She's a terrible person," Trump continued. "And in all fairness, she negotiated a great deal for Hillary because they gave Hillary all softballs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Please replace 'Mission Accomplished' with Jeb Can Fix It tia

• Locked thread