Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Whenever they start counting the pencils…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
As is always mentioned: coffee.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My company always had an exec who hung around despite changes, re-orgs, and, most recently, a seemingly made-up role.

She recently announced her plan to retire. Sure enough, today it came out they're not backfilling her role and her org structure is moving to another leader lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

My company always had an exec who hung around despite changes, re-orgs, and, most recently, a seemingly made-up role.

She recently announced her plan to retire. Sure enough, today it came out they're not backfilling her role and her org structure is moving to another leader lol.

God I want a sinecure

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Barudak posted:

God I want a sinecure

Fuckin same

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Atopian posted:

As is always mentioned: coffee.

On this topic: What do you do when the employees themselves ask you to get rid of the coffee? :v:

Context:

Four years ago, our old-fashioned multi-station coffee maker broke. I ignored it at first because I don't drink coffee, but people bitched about not having a coffee maker so I put in tickets to repair it. The site cafeteria crew refused, delayed, etc, until the pandemic hit and it really did become a super low priority. Last year, as part of my little attempt to welcome everyone back to the office, I made a list of everyone's worst pet peeves in the office and had them all fixed. Things like that one air duct that whistles irritatingly, that chair with the bad wheel, that one electrical outlet tied to a motion timer that keeps powering down a monitor, AC too cold above someone's cubicle, etc etc. On that list? The coffee maker.

Out goes the old one, in comes two induction carafes on a new unit with a hot water spigot and all. They wouldn't let us have the old-fashioned ones as an insurance risk anymore, and I didn't ask for a Keurig because they're an environmental nightmare (and because our side of campus just doesn't get the same level of maintenance / stocking that the other parts do). Still, this set is pretty snazzy.

Nobody wants them. They wanted Keurigs. They wanted espresso machines. They wanted the fancy ones that grind the beans like what downstairs hasThey didn't want any of these enough to answer my coffee poll when I first tried to get them replaced, of course.

They went for almost a year with only the cleaners using them. One of the principal scientists had, during the pandemic, put an entire goddamned espresso machine in his office. It's big. It takes up half a wall on his desk. The scientists go to his office for coffee, and my ops team doesn't have time for coffee. They're in the lab all day except for lunch time, which means no coffee for them.

So now they're complaining about not having counter space in the break room because "there's that coffee machine nobody uses hogging the whole thing." I pointed out that cleaning and maintenance use it early before they get here, and their response was "Who cares? It's not their breakroom." (If you ask me, the janitors who clean up your labs deserve some motherfucking coffee.) This month I've received three separate requests to clear out the coffee machine.

It was never my job in the first place to deal with the coffee machine. No good deed goes unpunished. :haw:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 24, 2024

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So, instead of just getting a Keurig or whatever for your workers. You got a coffee machine none of them wanted that only the cleaners use?

Should’ve just got the Keurig.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We have a nespresso with those small circular pods that give you like 2 sips of coffee and a flavia with the pouches that is actually quite good but those pouches seem like an environmental nightmare.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

fits my needs posted:

So, instead of just getting a Keurig or whatever for your workers. You got a coffee machine none of them wanted that only the cleaners use?

Should’ve just got the Keurig.

There are other reasons for "not a Keurig," but note the part where none of them bothered to tell me what they wanted. They just bitched about not having coffee, so I tried to get as close to what they had before as possible, as a result. (Also, they're not my workers. The ops team is my workers, the scientists are not. This is just me trying to be nice. :3: My ops team doesn't have time for coffee and can't have drinks in the lab anyway.)

1) First reason for Not A Keurig is that site services / cafeteria services almost never comes down here. Need pod refills? You're not getting them. Need the machine fixed? Eat poo poo. Need milk for your coffee? Even with the recurring charge to your cost center, they're giving you expired milk or just not restocking until next quarter (but still regularly charging you). This is a bigger reason for Not Espresso than Not A Keurig, but both require more cleaning and service than ye olde drip pots. I can guarantee you right now that nobody in my group would do the maintenance themselves.

2) There's this whole Green Lab Initiative thing where everything we do for a lab or office area has to hit a certain level of "green" to hit environmental goals. Putting in a Keurig makes your waste goal for an office environment crash and burn almost instantly. I don't have enough other areas I could cut waste from effectively to offset that, and I'm held to that goal by our management.

3) I have budgetary approval to order ground coffee. I don't have approval for Keurig cups. They're actually classified separately, probably because of the environmental poo poo. Plus the scientists picked the existing ground coffee types we've historically stocked, so you know... I thought they liked them? Silly me. :haw:

Keurig was effectively out of the question without support from the scientists, so really I should've just gotten them nothing given all I need is a cup of hot water for tea anyway. :v:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you should have either done nothing or asked them what they wanted and create an even bigger headache for yourself. Maybe delegate it to an intern I dunno.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fits my needs posted:

Maybe delegate it to an intern I dunno.

This is not the time to be assigning extra work to Sundae's intern :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Every office gets a Keurig because everyone wants to make their own ~special~ kind of coffee even though it all tastes awful anyway (and you're probably only getting a half dose of caffeine at best). But the real horror is how fast those things get utterly disgusting. No one ever cleans them. They need cleaning pretty drat near every day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every office gets a Keurig because everyone wants to make their own ~special~ kind of coffee even though it all tastes awful anyway (and you're probably only getting a half dose of caffeine at best). But the real horror is how fast those things get utterly disgusting. No one ever cleans them. They need cleaning pretty drat near every day.

My building banned microwaves, coffee makers, and water pots except in kitchens and there are a pair of Keurig machines on each floor. They are vile and from day one I've just boiled water in the microwave and made my own at my desk with a clever dripper and supplies from home.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We have the little flavia packet things and like 30 varieties to pick from. Is it good coffee? no. Is it free? yes. Thankfully it's cleaned every day and our kitchens are always pristine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wfh and make locally roasted coffee with a pour over like god intended

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vasudus posted:

We have the little flavia packet things and like 30 varieties to pick from. Is it good coffee? no. Is it free? yes. Thankfully it's cleaned every day and our kitchens are always pristine.

Do you have the dove chocolate packs for hot chocolate or mochas? Those are p good!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Fool posted:

I wfh and make locally roasted coffee with a pour over like god intended

Aeropress with a grinder in the plunger and a bag of beans even fits in a desk drawer for those of us hybriding. Although being in Europe, we have those train station lavazza vending machines all over. 0.80 for an espresso.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Aeropress with a grinder in the plunger and a bag of beans even fits in a desk drawer for those of us hybriding. Although being in Europe, we have those train station lavazza vending machines all over. 0.80 for an espresso.

Aeropress rules but you will have to put up with the office wag who comments "hey what's with the chemistry experiment??" Every. loving. Time he sees you making coffee.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Although being in Europe, we have those train station lavazza vending machines all over. 0.80 for an espresso.

I can't believe that's possibly better than the workplace Keurig or Nespresso.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Midjack posted:

My building banned microwaves, coffee makers, and water pots except in kitchens and there are a pair of Keurig machines on each floor. They are vile and from day one I've just boiled water in the microwave and made my own at my desk with a clever dripper and supplies from home.

Brewing alcohol in prison but it's coffee at your desk.
If anyone rats you out to the warden, you can shank them with a staple remover.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

~Coxy posted:

I can't believe that's possibly better than the workplace Keurig or Nespresso.

The machines fresh grind the beans so it tastes like mediocre dark roast espresso, which it is, rather than tasting like dust.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sundae posted:

I pointed out that cleaning and maintenance use it early before they get here, and their response was "Who cares? It's not their breakroom." (If you ask me, the janitors who clean up your labs deserve some motherfucking coffee.)

You have a straightforward solution here.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Apparently the meeting where grumpy CEO/salesguy/cofounder finally grokked that his team had hallucinated some work in progress began with him pulling my PM and a random line engineer on my team into a call and lecturing them about how we "don't know how to estimate." His rationale is that one project was estimated at N weeks and that sounds too long to him. His basis for this is just, like, vibes. The fact that he's prominently and indisputably underestimated multiple technical workloads in the last couple of months appears to have not crossed his mind.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

We have a mediocre bean grinder/machine combo that if you put two espressos in produces something approximating a reasonable coffee. There is a coffe shop but last time I used it it was awful so why pay for that.

Bizarrely, my train station on platform coffee shop does excellent coffee because their regular is 3 shots so it actually tastes of something. Then I still see people ordering an extra large one shot only cappuccino extra hot which is just :psyduck:.

priznat posted:

Aeropress rules but you will have to put up with the office wag who comments "hey what's with the chemistry experiment??" Every. loving. Time he sees you making coffee.

Better than "hey what's with the Swedish penis pump?" which the guy who actually brought it in said and then we all laughed and then never saw it again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quote:

Four years ago, our old-fashioned multi-station coffee maker broke. I ignored it at first because I don't drink coffee

What the gently caress is wrong with you? You don’t drink coffee so “broken coffee machine” was a problem that you didn’t think was important to fix? I felt bad for you for your HR INTERN CREEPY OLD MAN problems but you’re literally the worse for your attitude about not caring to fix the coffee machine the moment it broke.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? You don’t drink coffee so “broken coffee machine” was a problem that you didn’t think was important to fix? I felt bad for you for your HR INTERN CREEPY OLD MAN problems but you’re literally the worse for your attitude about not caring to fix the coffee machine the moment it broke.

Typical manager mentality lol, someone buy the intern or one of the underlings an account. Want to know what they’ve been thinking about this while their manager is fixing squeaky wheels or whatever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sundae was talking about it at the time... consider what 4 years ago means.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boris Galerkin posted:

My reading of the story is that Sundae is not actually directly or indirectly responsible for the coffee machine and only tried to upgrade it as a way of using his juice to gain some goodwill with non-reports.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Waking up early to go to a breakfast series for an organization I don’t know anything about with coworkers who may not even attend and I’m not even sure we’re registered. Bleh. At least it’s beside the office if we’re not registered.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

So now they're complaining about not having counter space in the break room because "there's that coffee machine nobody uses hogging the whole thing." I pointed out that cleaning and maintenance use it early before they get here, and their response was "Who cares? It's not their breakroom." (If you ask me, the janitors who clean up your labs deserve some motherfucking coffee.) This month I've received three separate requests to clear out the coffee machine.

It was never my job in the first place to deal with the coffee machine. No good deed goes unpunished. :haw:

Why are my underlings mad at me for getting a coffee machine they don’t use that takes up counter space in the break room? Well actually, the underlings are the ones who are wrong and need to be more appreciative.

lmao

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Our main IT department (several hundred people) had a meeting yesterday to talk about business context. It was Mardi Gras themed. They gave out beads and at one point the manager of IT--who reports directly to the CIO--was in front of everyone wearing a domino mask and beads presenting about our priorities for the year.

Nothing infuriates me more than people trying to make meetings "fun". Just say your poo poo and let us get back to work.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Handing out beads? Good job you don't work with Sundae or that could have been another HR incident!

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Cael posted:

Nothing infuriates me more than people trying to make meetings "fun". Just say your poo poo and let us get back to work.

I think "trying" is the key word. When it happens unintentionally it's the best, like that lawyer who couldn't turn off the cat filter or Vivek pissing on a livestream

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

please dial back the aggro, it's really not necessary. stop it.

but drat, coffee must be a priority

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I always find it amusing when people bitch about Keurig pods being an environmental impact and disregard throwing out a half pot of coffee at the end of everyday. The latter took way more energy and water to produce but because it went down the sink it's not a big deal. In this case it's not counted on some useless green metric. The greener solution is to not have coffee because growing coffee is an environmental hazard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gariig posted:

I always find it amusing when people bitch about Keurig pods being an environmental impact and disregard throwing out a half pot of coffee at the end of everyday. The latter took way more energy and water to produce but because it went down the sink it's not a big deal. In this case it's not counted on some useless green metric. The greener solution is to not have coffee because growing coffee is an environmental hazard.

I WILL BURN THIS SORRY PLANET TO DUST FOR THE SAKE OF MY COFFEE

Sorry, what was the question?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

docbeard posted:

I WILL BURN THIS SORRY PLANET TO DUST FOR THE SAKE OF MY COFFEE

Sorry, what was the question?

Wicked same

And no idea

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

Waking up early to go to a breakfast series for an organization I don’t know anything about with coworkers who may not even attend and I’m not even sure we’re registered. Bleh. At least it’s beside the office if we’re not registered.

I was not on the invite list and we didn’t have a table, but figured it out. I guess anyone can get in.

Social anxiety while in a primary business development role is rough. Bleh.

Then read my email to find out we have a utilization goal of 55% this year. :lmao:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

gariig posted:

If an office has an actual breakroom program then it should include Keurig pod recycling as a standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Boris Galerkin posted:

1) Not Sundae's job (but unfortunately the road to hell is paved with good intentions...)
2) Chill out