Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I still remember the first time I beat Wiegraf by running around as a ninja and Yelling until I was getting like five turns for every one of his.

and then I realised that carried over to the Lucavi fight right after. it was a glorious day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was a Monk with Speed Save and kept using Accumulate between healing. I kept using Hundred Crack Fist on everyone.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, never ever using a single save is like FFT advice #1.

Yeah. I hosed up real bad. I started this game months ago and then got bored but picked it back up recently. Spent just enough time away to forget about the importance of multiple saves.

The weird thing is I just don't remember having any trouble with this guy in my first play through. Oh well.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh boy, so I've been playing through FFT on my iPhone again and I forgot about the Wiegraf 1v1 fight. I think I've managed to save-gently caress myself, but I figured I'd ask here before restarting my game:

So I'm stuck in a save point just prior to the Wiegraf duel at Riovanes, so I can't return to the overworld to train/buy stuff. My Ramza doesn't have the JP/abilities necessary to pull off the Tailwind/Focus strategy, nor the Dragoon strategy. I don't have Chameleon Robes or Float boots, and I'm not high enough level to just brute force my way past him. I was working towards getting Ramza to Ninja for Two Swords, but haven't made it there yet. So I'm kinda not sure what else I could try. Have I saved my way into an unbeatable game? Wiegraf has no chill.

It really depends on what jobs you have for Ramza. However, at absolute worst, chances are the option of "walk up, attack, hope for high damage crit a couple of times" is there. It's not ideal, but there you go. I mean, what have you been spending your time in? Go through all your jobs; chances are there's some ability or other you can get from spillover JP. Golem, Haste, Protect, X-Potion, Nature's Wrath :ducksiren:Auto-Potion:ducksiren:, Regenerate: these are all fairly low JP cost abilities in common classes that can supplement any bog standard Knight/Ubersquire sword swinging strategy. OF course, if you've got Black Mage/Summoner JP and an elemental/Wizard Rod, you can probably just throw down spells/summons. If you're concerned about HP, Ramza's Squire has less but still acceptable MA, can equip robes, and still has nice HP.

In short, chances are you have some sort of action. And seriously, how were you not clued in on having multiple save slots at this point? Lesson learned, I suppose.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My advice is to just skip ahead to Tactics A2

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics is the best game with "Final Fantasy" in its title. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best game with "Final Fantasy" in its title. :colbert:

It's not even the best tactics game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

When the revolution comes, you'll be the first against the wall.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

Yeah, Final Fantasy 9 Tactics is much better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

It's the most tactical.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tactics is so slow and boring

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

In Training posted:

Tactics is so slow and boring

Gotta have time to enjoy the amazing soundtrack.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
On the other hand, FFTA produced the "was Marche wrong" argument which never fails to disappoint.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
FFTA was great because you get to play as the villain and destroy Ivalice as part of the organization whose name is enough to send chills up anyone's spine: Clan Nutsy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite part about FFTA was the twist ending where it turned out Marche grew up to be Donald Trump.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My favorite part was Marche telling his crippled friend to get the gently caress over it and deal with being crippled.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sounds like a fun game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't that his crippled brother

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah he's his brother

cause he sure as hell ain't his friend

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Marche Did Nothing Wrong

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Marche wanted his friends to understand that a hard reality is better than an easy fantasy, it's just easier to take that lesson when your issue is minor ("in real life, I have white hair instead of pink!") rather than major ("I'm going to be wheelchair-bound for the rest of my life.")

I liked the situation they presented in the game because I think I'd honestly have trouble making that decision myself at their age. Ivalice, even fake-Ivalice, is such a cool environment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The cool part is that after beating the game they can go back any time they want because it's possible to have fantasies without them being at the expense of adjusting to reality.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Marche Did Nothing Wrong

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think maybe if at some point marche had been like "yeah the fantasy is cool but i really wanna see my mom again" maybe the whole marche was a villain thing wouldn't have taken off

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My favorite part of the Final Fantasy series is when a Chocobo articulates in its own way that it loves its partner and owner.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, I mean, it's important that Marche's motivation wasn't just to leave Ivalice, but to bring everyone back with him. It's important that Remedi rigged things so that anybody trying to deny Mewt's wishes would wind up with the same goal, subjectively, as Exdeath - destroy the crystals and unmake the world.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I mean, it's important that Marche's motivation wasn't just to leave Ivalice, but to bring everyone back with him. It's important that Remedi rigged things so that anybody trying to deny Mewt's wishes would wind up with the same goal, subjectively, as Exdeath - destroy the crystals and unmake the world.

And, like Marche, Exdeath was definitely right.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I couldn't imagine even caring about A1 when A2 exists.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CeallaSo posted:

And, like Marche, Exdeath was definitely right.
Bullshit. Unifying the two worlds was right, but the Dimensional Void has way too many goddamn random encounters that are a bitch to run from and nobody should live there :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Exdeath for President

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He'd be a better nominee than Sephiroth running on a platform of short term economic revitalization or Ultimecia running on a platform of free one moment of time for everyone indefinitely forever.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bullshit. Unifying the two worlds was right, but the Dimensional Void has way too many goddamn random encounters that are a bitch to run from and nobody should live there :colbert:

The void was just a setback.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baal posted:

Exdeath for President

i'm voting for kuja, he promises to build a wall, out of his enemies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Exdeath banished Gilgamesh from the world. He shall never be forgiven.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm voting for Caius because he runs on a platform of being voiced by Liam O'Brien.

His running mate is Grimoire Weiss.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm voting for Jecht because he's a celebrity and I'm a slave to shallow American consumerism

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

I'm voting for Jecht because he's a celebrity and I'm a slave to shallow American consumerism

Hey it worked for Arnold :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

He'd be a better nominee than Sephiroth running on a platform of short term economic revitalization or Ultimecia running on a platform of free one moment of time for everyone indefinitely forever.

We had such a sluggish recovery I'd consider a Sephiroth/Mommy Dearest ticket.

Saint Freak posted:

I couldn't imagine even caring about A1 when A2 exists.

Goddamn truth-telling ITT.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Garland/Chaos 2016
We will knock you all down...with our firm yet compassionate foreign policy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Dark Emperor for President, Light Emperor for VP.