Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ok Comboomer posted:

Unibody MacBooks are built like Volvo brick shithouses that you can wield as a weapon in a pinch—but I mean it when I say that the biggest danger you’ll encounter with them is drops and bumps.

I dented the corner of my old MacBook Air’s display dropping it off of my lap at work. Dropping a MacBook onto its hinge is a great way to gently caress up its ability to close properly without some expensive parts replacement

I have one of the sleeves coming to help protect it when I am not actively using it, but I can't make FedEx move any faster :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Posting on page 1707 in honor of apples worst choices all rolled into one model laptop.

All A1707s deserve their fate.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

retpocileh posted:

Everywhere I go online people absolutely adore the 14" and seem to recommend it most frequently as the ideal laptop. I just wanted to add a contrasting perspective. I've had an 16" M1 Max for the last couple of years and I absolutely adore this thing. The extra screen real estate is really nice for whatever you're doing, especially while traveling. I spent about a year and a half traveling nonstop internationally and had zero times where I wished I had a smaller laptop or felt like it was too heavy, bulky etc. I'm also not a big guy.

My wife has an M2 air and I get the appeal. It's tiny and nimble and weightless, and she loves it for all those reasons.

I'm just saying that, if in your heart you really want that bigger screen, like I did, chances are you won't find it cumbersome.

If you do regret it, with the holiday return policy in effect, as long as you order online directly from Apple, any items received between November 3rd and December 25th, you have up until January 8th to return.

As for which processor and how much ram to get, unless you're doing a lot of local ML inference, running a bunch of VMs, or gaming, then just the lowest end 16" with 18 gigs of ram will be more than enough to keep your experience on the OS buttery smooth for years.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve dailied a 15” 2013 Pro, which is arguably bigger than the current 16” model, for a decade and it’s never felt cumbersome or unreasonably big, but also I’m probably gonna switch to 14” for my soon-to-be new computer. Before the 15” I dailied a black Polycarb MacBook and then a 13” 2011 Air and I just love the sleekness of that form factor/general size.

Also, it sounds dumb, but Space Black 14” feels like the perfect synthesis of my favorite Macs from the past. I’ve been talking about the idea of a Son-of-BlackBook here for a fair bit now, but the 2013 is long enough in the tooth and Space Black is compelling enough of a finish to push me toward a buy soon.

You really can’t go wrong either way, but it’s probably worth seeing them in person if you can.

Thanks to you both for your input. I decided to order a 16"/18GB/1TB. I think I would have been happy with either the 14" or 16", but I'm going to err on the side of productivity.

Now to wait the couple of weeks for it to get here.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At what point should I be concerned about memory pressure?

Like my concern is that 18GB is not enough for my workload. Here's what it all looks like with what should be my heaviest set of dev tools running (Docker, WebStorm, PyCharm all at once).

It hasn't slowed down or anything but if I want to keep the computer for several years, my window for returning this one and buying a different one is closing.

I know the advice is basically "if you can afford it, go for it" but also if I'm being unreasonable and this memory pressure is fine then cool!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 15, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Like my concern is that 18GB is not enough for my workload. Here's what it all looks like with what should be my heaviest set of dev tools running (Docker, WebStorm, PyCharm all at once).

It hasn't slowed down or anything but if I want to keep the computer for several years, my window for returning this one and buying a different one is closing.

The bar is green, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Computers doing fine.

Are you running docker x86 via Rosetta or running ARM docker? My docker x86 experience was painfully slow before docker desktop updated to use Rosetta.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Twerk from Home posted:

The bar is green, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Computers doing fine.

Are you running docker x86 via Rosetta or running ARM docker? My docker x86 experience was painfully slow before docker desktop updated to use Rosetta.

I think it's ARM? I rebooted it to double check and the memory pressure did turn orange though.

Fake edit who am I kidding I'm going to be fine, I just need to remember to not leave EVERYTHING running at the same time like I do my desktop, which is not going anywhere, and in fact still has a role in my work because of the dedicate GPU :downs:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 15, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

I know the advice is basically "if you can afford it, go for it" but also if I'm being unreasonable and this memory pressure is fine then cool!

5GB of swap being used says to me that you have plenty of RAM @ 18GB.

I've heard Docker for mac kinda sucks/is resource heavy, though. I told myself I'd get 32GB of RAM the next time I upgrade my MacBook, but I'm not even sure I truthfully need it - I run dozens of background menubar apps and webdev apps on my existing MacBook Pro with 16GB and it only uses 10-12GB for apps and the rest as swap. I've got an Unraid server with 32GB of RAM that sits around 16-20GB being used.

I probably don't need more than 18GB, even if I need to spin up a VM occasionally.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 15, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Docker doesn't even need to be run constantly - it's for one project that I like to run LocalStack for because our work AWS is so locked down. So there was like 4-5GB of memory being used somewhere I could just free up anyway.

The bar being yellow (not orange, apparently my colorblindness has progressed) is apparently not a problem for M1 macs let alone M3 so yeah I'm making a bunch of worry about nothing, also because it hasn't even happened again

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The ideal is to have enough RAM that the computer doesn't have to swap at all, but if the $400 (ouch, goddamn apple, that's too much) to upgrade from 18 to 36GB is too much, you'll be fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I feel like swapping is less of a big deal in 2023 with how fast SSDs are these days. As long as you don't need to swap mid workload it's not nearly as noticeable. Back when we were running spinny disks as primary drives (or even early SATA SSDs to a lesser extent) avoiding swap even when switching between unrelated programs was much more essential.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Macichne Leainig posted:

Get more RAM. Trust me. 18 GB is a joke for a "pro" computer. I have 16 GB on my Air (which I truly enjoy using) but having the CPU/RAM usage on my top bar really opened my eyes to just how intensive some applications can be. Plus you'll be future-proofed and the Macbook will hold its resale value much better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol if it took staring at ram meters all day to get some idea of how much memory you might be using i challenge the assertion that it has been problematic

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I mean it's useful for me to know that just having a browser open with Spotify playing music means half of the available RAM is being used.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

I mean it's useful for me to know that just having a browser open with Spotify playing music means half of the available RAM is being used.

But it’s not. Most of that RAM is precaching other stuff MacOS thinks you might use soon. It’s been that way for years now, close to a decade. Your RAM being used is not the same as having no free memory for when you actually open other applications to do poo poo.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

But it’s not. Most of that RAM is precaching other stuff MacOS thinks you might use soon. It’s been that way for years now, close to a decade. Your RAM being used is not the same as having no free memory for when you actually open other applications to do poo poo.

That may be true but each person is going to use their computers differently. With 16GB of RAM I have definitely noticed that certain applications aren't very responsive when I need them to be, and I don't think the statement "8 or 18 GB of RAM isn't sufficient for really intensive applications" is controversial.

Opening a large CSV file with ~11 million rows with 16GB of RAM is a crapshoot sometimes on my Air. For someone that uses their computer for data analysis it can be a hinderance.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

intensive apps is highly variable tho. 16 is fine for the vast majority (i think 8 is fine if you don’t do much besides browse the web like a normal person but it’s still insane that apple starts there)

like i can edit 40mp images with layers and poo poo in 16 gigs fine but i’d still argue that can be in intense task if i have a bunch and i’m doing some stitching or stacking

someone who is doing data analysis on a huge set will need more (my so has 128gigs on their imac)

complaining that 18gb is silly because your ram meter has mistakenly convinced you you’re running out of memory for spotify is dumb tho

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

intensive apps is highly variable tho. 16 is fine for the vast majority (i think 8 is fine if you don’t do much besides browse the web like a normal person but it’s still insane that apple starts there)

like i can edit 40mp images with layers and poo poo in 16 gigs fine but i’d still argue that can be in intense task if i have a bunch and i’m doing some stitching or stacking

someone who is doing data analysis on a huge set will need more (my so has 128gigs on their imac)

complaining that 18gb is silly because your ram meter has mistakenly convinced you you’re running out of memory for spotify is dumb tho

I think you’re confusing or conflating two different users in your post. I don’t have 18GB of RAM and I never said I did.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I think you’re confusing or conflating two different users in your post. I don’t have 18GB of RAM and I never said I did.

this started because you were decrying how terrible 18gb is to another poster then as an example in support of that assertion talked about staring at ram meters and getting an incorrect picture of how your computer uses ram

both of those are your posts

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Yeah… I was surprised when the Monterey-running 2014 mini I was recently given showed memory usage of 4+ GB sitting at the desktop on a fresh boot, but prowling the activity monitor bore out that it’s just aggressively prebuffering for smoother performance. Good thing too, that little guy is pokey - it’s not far removed from the 2014 Air I had in grad school.

I’ve been talking about getting a Studio since they were first announced, and am finally close to pulling the trigger on a base model Max. But given how much less demanding I generally am of most hardware now, I’m tempted to just pick up a base M2 Pro mini for about $1200 at Micro Center instead. Most of its use case would be grinding through my entire backlog of physical media with Handbrake and possibly doing some low impact 4K30 editing of GoPro video. “If you can afford it, buy it” is good advice a lot of the time, but I just don’t know here. The Max would absolutely be all the machine I’d need for the next five years, minimum, I have no doubt there. But would the mini do the job?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

this started because you were decrying how terrible 18gb is to another poster then as an example in support of that assertion talked about staring at ram meters and getting an incorrect picture of how your computer uses ram

both of those are your posts

You are making very strange claims about the way I use my computer, I never said I stare at RAM meters but I do have a useful program that allows me to see my RAM usage and for the purposes of heavy-duty software usage my humble opinion is that 16 or 18 GB of RAM is not sufficient. It's nice that for your purposes you feel like you have more than sufficient memory but I was simply adding my experience to the discussion. There is no need to be so condescending to someone adding their thoughts on a thread about hardware. I've added an image showing my RAM usage just from running ArcGIS on Parallels and so people can more clearly see what I'm talking about. If you feel 8Gb of RAM is enough then so be it. There is no right or wrong answer for this because different people will have different experiences and perceptions.

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 16, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Remember, folks, free RAM is wasted RAM. All modern desktop operating systems will try to use as much RAM as possible aggressively and are very good at shuffling around RAM that isn't critical for other operations when another application comes around and requests more. Stop staring at your RAM usage meters; they're not always helpful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah… I was surprised when the Monterey-running 2014 mini I was recently given showed memory usage of 4+ GB sitting at the desktop on a fresh boot, but prowling the activity monitor bore out that it’s just aggressively prebuffering for smoother performance. Good thing too, that little guy is pokey - it’s not far removed from the 2014 Air I had in grad school.

I’ve been talking about getting a Studio since they were first announced, and am finally close to pulling the trigger on a base model Max. But given how much less demanding I generally am of most hardware now, I’m tempted to just pick up a base M2 Pro mini for about $1200 at Micro Center instead. Most of its use case would be grinding through my entire backlog of physical media with Handbrake and possibly doing some low impact 4K30 editing of GoPro video. “If you can afford it, buy it” is good advice a lot of the time, but I just don’t know here. The Max would absolutely be all the machine I’d need for the next five years, minimum, I have no doubt there. But would the mini do the job?

yeah like if the money's no issue go hog wild i guess. but it sounds like a lot of your use case you could automate to do while you slept, say, and the mini will handle 4k30 fine. i don't think you're going to be hamstrung by buying a mini now instead of a studio and then in some future pick up a studio and retire the mini to easier tasks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

That may be true but each person is going to use their computers differently. With 16GB of RAM I have definitely noticed that certain applications aren't very responsive when I need them to be, and I don't think the statement "8 or 18 GB of RAM isn't sufficient for really intensive applications" is controversial.

Opening a large CSV file with ~11 million rows with 16GB of RAM is a crapshoot sometimes on my Air. For someone that uses their computer for data analysis it can be a hinderance.

I didn't respond to you saying that at all. I just pointed out that going "oh no i used half the RAM with a single browser window playing spotify" is incorrect and misrepresenting how MacOS manages memory. Get the memory you need for your day to day tasks, your fun, your hobby or your job, but expecting a pure number like "40% of my RAM is full" is not how the OS works. Even your example image you posted of running ArcGIS on Parallels shows that, with none of the actual listings of memory being used matching up.

Basically stop janitoring your RAM and complaining that other people aren't janitoring their RAM like you are, because the way you are doing it doesn't even make any sense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BUUNNI posted:

You are making very strange claims about the way I use my computer, I never said I stare at RAM meters but I do have a useful program that allows me to see my RAM usage and for the purposes of heavy-duty software usage my humble opinion is that 16 or 18 GB of RAM is not sufficient. It's nice that for your purposes you feel like you have more than sufficient memory but I was simply adding my experience to the discussion. There is no need to be so condescending to someone adding their thoughts on a thread about hardware. I've added an image showing my RAM usage just from running ArcGIS on Parallels and so people can more clearly see what I'm talking about. If you feel 8Gb of RAM is enough then so be it. There is no right or wrong answer for this because different people will have different experiences and perceptions.

BUUNNI posted:

Get more RAM. Trust me. 18 GB is a joke for a "pro" computer. I have 16 GB on my Air (which I truly enjoy using) but having the CPU/RAM usage on my top bar really opened my eyes to just how intensive some applications can be. Plus you'll be future-proofed and the Macbook will hold its resale value much better.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

My eyes never leave the menu bar as I'm typing these posts :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

My eyes never leave the menu bar as I'm typing these posts :v:

turn off your monitor

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

I didn't respond to you saying that at all. I just pointed out that going "oh no i used half the RAM with a single browser window playing spotify" is incorrect and misrepresenting how MacOS manages memory. Get the memory you need for your day to day tasks, your fun, your hobby or your job, but expecting a pure number like "40% of my RAM is full" is not how the OS works. Even your example image you posted of running ArcGIS on Parallels shows that, with none of the actual listings of memory being used matching up.

Basically stop janitoring your RAM and complaining that other people aren't janitoring their RAM like you are, because the way you are doing it doesn't even make any sense.

No one is complaining about janitoring their RAM usage, but 8 or 16GB of RAM just won't cut it for most intensive applications. This isn't controversial.

Arivia posted:

turn off your monitor

But how will I meticulously track my RAM usage if my brightness is turned all the way down? Maybe the new Vision Pro® will help with this?

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

No one is complaining about janitoring their RAM usage, but 8 or 16GB of RAM just won't cut it for most intensive applications. This isn't controversial.

you literally are! you've been talking about it with like five people on this page!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have already spent $400 more on this computer than my desktop which has more RAM and a full RTX 3080 available for gaming and all that good stuff

I think I can make 18GB of RAM work :)

Really 90% of my time is basic rear end Python and NodeJS which is not going to make even a base model M3 Macbook Pro sweat under any circumstance. The other 10% is shitposting and if we ever get to a point where 16-18GB of RAM isn't enough for a handful of browser tabs and Discord in the next few years I think we'll all have greater problems

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 16, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I was transferring from an old iPad to a new one tonight and it has been the most frustrating experience I’ve had in a long time.
This used to work flawlessly and now it’s riddled with bugs and it’s quite terrible.

But this is just my latest frustrations with Apple software. There all kinds of bugs littered everywhere. And it just keeps getting worse.

So much for the "Apple magic" these days.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

xgalaxy posted:

I was transferring from an old iPad to a new one tonight and it has been the most frustrating experience I’ve had in a long time.
This used to work flawlessly and now it’s riddled with bugs and it’s quite terrible.

But this is just my latest frustrations with Apple software. There all kinds of bugs littered everywhere. And it just keeps getting worse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

That’s what happens when you transfer from an intel iPad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone having problems with notification centre in the new update? My M2 Air will get really hot, and the battery drains really quickly, and if I go into activity monitor it tells me Notification Centre is using 99% of the CPU, 400gb of virtual memory!! and the text for the entry is all in red. When I delete it from Activity monitor the laptop cools down. The only widgets I have on my desktop are regular stock Apple ones.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BUUNNI posted:

You are making very strange claims about the way I use my computer, I never said I stare at RAM meters but I do have a useful program that allows me to see my RAM usage and for the purposes of heavy-duty software usage my humble opinion is that 16 or 18 GB of RAM is not sufficient. It's nice that for your purposes you feel like you have more than sufficient memory but I was simply adding my experience to the discussion. There is no need to be so condescending to someone adding their thoughts on a thread about hardware. I've added an image showing my RAM usage just from running ArcGIS on Parallels and so people can more clearly see what I'm talking about. If you feel 8Gb of RAM is enough then so be it.

Yeah I think your perspective might be skewed just a little bit there. You're running software that chews through huge amounts of data, but not just that, you're running it inside a virtual machine, which has the memory overhead of an entire second OS. Trying to generalize that experience to all "heavy-duty software usage" is unwise. Some things that are heavy duty need lots of RAM, others don't.

I don't think anybody's saying 8GB is enough for anyone either, it's more like... the OP's 18GB computer was showing green memory pressure (with not a lot swapped out) running their workload, and that means if they want to keep it rather than returning it to get a bigger memory config, they're not dooming themselves to suffering for the next few years. It'll be fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 16 MBP carrying case? Really want something smaller that will hold the laptop, charger, mouse, and an extra cable.

I have water field case that I used with my 15 MBP but I never really cared for it. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something decent but not outrageous obviously.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 16 MBP carrying case? Really want something smaller that will hold the laptop, charger, mouse, and an extra cable.

I have water field case that I used with my 15 MBP but I never really cared for it. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something decent but not outrageous obviously.

would a padded sleeve that can go into something like a backpack/etc work? Because if so Herschel makes one that I really like.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

would a padded sleeve that can go into something like a backpack/etc work? Because if so Herschel makes one that I really like.

Yeah that could work I was just hoping to get something where I wouldn’t need a backpack.

Link the sleeve though!

Well I still need a sleeve because I just ordered this lmao

https://saddlebackleather.com/15-grandfather-briefcase/

I've been eyeballing it since it was released and it's a decent price cut.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 17, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

I just use a red Vera Bradley "laptop organizer and it fits all that. Although, I have the 13 M2 MBA, so not 100% certain it would fit a 16 MBP.

I was in the store with my gf when she was picking out a backpack and I came across this solid red cotton carrying case that looked perfect for me. I love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that could work I was just hoping to get something where I wouldn’t need a backpack.

Link the sleeve though!

Well I still need a sleeve because I just ordered this lmao

https://saddlebackleather.com/15-grandfather-briefcase/

I've been eyeballing it since it was released and it's a decent price cut.

It’s the Anchor Sleeve, by Herschel. To be clear, it doesn’t have a space for your charger or peripherals, it’s just a laptop (or tablet, depending on what size you get) sleeve. Those will have to go in the aforementioned backpack/etc.

But it’s very luxuriously padded and protective for your laptop, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Aer Tech Folio might be what you're looking for.