Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm Poochy, the rockin dog.

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

jojoinnit posted:

Someone is bad at removing the background in Photoshop

A S S T H E T I C

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

By popular demand posted:

FACT:You are now itchy.

The Bloop posted:

I'm more scratchy, really

I'm Bruno Hockaloogie

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fartbox posted:

Yeah, haha, lets see thos feet haha

I;m thinking about thos Toe Beans

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mocap animation will never not be hideous and lifeless.

thats just how madds looks

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's great for body movements, but as soon as you try and use it for facial expression, ugh.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's uncanny valley territory because the textures and especially the eyes are never quite right, but the face obviously moves in a very realistic way.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also gotten a whole lot better even just in the past five years.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bike tory posted:

It's uncanny valley territory because the textures and especially the eyes are never quite right, but the face obviously moves in a very realistic way.

Also some people are just more sensitive to uncanny valley stuff than others.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I should have screencapped this back when I saw it but in my area there was a craigslist listing for a circular saw that went something like this:

quote:

Wife is making me sell this saw
Pros: cuts through anything
Cons: cuts through ANYTHING
I took a second look at the picture and noticed his fingers in the pic were bandaged, from being reattached recently

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The truth is that anything from Slidell is cursed.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The truth is that anything from Slidell is cursed.

But definitely not haunted.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"THAT bitch gets to go in the space capsule and not meeeee?!"

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

bike tory posted:

While the eyes are a huge part, I think the minute facial movements in areas like the forehead, cheeks, and nose are usually off or underanimated as well, which makes the faces feel very stiff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MrXmas posted:

While the eyes are a huge part, I think the minute facial movements in areas like the forehead, cheeks, and nose are usually off or underanimated as well, which makes the faces feel very stiff.

This, if you ever see a CG mocap performance next to the real actor it jumps out immediately. I sometimes think they're doing really well with this tech (which they are, too be fair), but it jumps right back into looking wooden and robotic after that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a reason the Polar Express is widely regarded as the scariest film of all time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mocap looks perfect with near-humans like Caesar and Hulk

A ways to go on perfect humans though for sure

Catpain
Oct 9, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

I should have screencapped this back when I saw it but in my area there was a craigslist listing for a circular saw that went something like this:

quote:

Wife is making me sell this saw
Pros: cuts through anything
Cons: cuts through ANYTHING

I took a second look at the picture and noticed his fingers in the pic were bandaged, from being reattached recently

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Mocap looks perfect with near-humans like Caesar and Hulk

So you're saying it works just fine for landlords?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrXmas posted:

Corridor Digital does a series where they talk about good and bag CGI and what makes it good or bad, and they've done a lot on faces and facial capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4WrKeoeZhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJg1CZv_-Y

Simply put, there's a ton of very minor things about real faces that you don't consciously notice but tell you that something is real. This includes pores and wrinkles that stretch as the face moves, light reflecting and passing through the skin correctly at different angles (like having a little red sheen on the ears or end of the nose when lit from behind because of light passing through the skin, or stubble that catches the light properly), and the correct parts of the face moving when other muscles connected to it move.

One of the biggest mistakes with CG faces like Princess Leia in Rogue One is that along with the other problems, the wrong muscles move. She does things like lift her upper lip separately when talking, a motion that's physically impossible for a human and makes it look like it's being lifted for her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RareAcumen posted:

So you're saying it works just fine for landlords?

That cat is brave enough

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re dead 3d faces, this always makes me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

re dead 3d faces, this always makes me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc

They also had legit outtakes because of the facial and motion capture methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAo5hZCBZE

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I find that fascinating. It's like a legit milestone: bloopers from video game characters that aren't fake.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Gimme librety or gimme ded

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna guess that's a bit of Spanish wordplay.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

null_pointer posted:

Gimme librety or gimme ded

Free Ty!

For god's sake he's been in that hot bed all morning.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

chitoryu12 posted:

That's hilarious, and kinda works around the halfway-there models and movement. Burst out laughing at the random sneeze.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

To be fair that cat is failing hard at having fur which is a pretty basic cat thing.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shifty Nipples posted:

To be fair that cat is failing hard at having fur which is a pretty basic cat thing.

And here I was thinking a hairless cat wouldn't have hairballs, but this is much MUCH worse.......

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I really enjoyed a lot of LA Noir, and I think I'm less sensitive to the uncanny valley than some people, but my god I played through that game not being able to understand what people's faces were doing. It was kind of surreal to have a conversation with an NPC, and their face would make an expression, and I just wouldn't understand it even though I was clearly expected to.

I wonder if that's what some forms of autism is like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RoboRodent posted:

I really enjoyed a lot of LA Noir, and I think I'm less sensitive to the uncanny valley than some people, but my god I played through that game not being able to understand what people's faces were doing. It was kind of surreal to have a conversation with an NPC, and their face would make an expression, and I just wouldn't understand it even though I was clearly expected to.

I feel you. The facial capture wasn’t perfect so any expressions that weren’t exaggerated looked a little wonky, which is not good for a game that requires careful study of people’s faces and tone of voice!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

chitoryu12 posted:

not good for a game that requires careful study of people’s faces and tone of voice!

But that's not what LA Noir was. It was simply 'LA Confidential - the game' without the title. If you've seen the movie you don't need to understand the game characters expressions or vocalization baseline since you know the thrust of everything that's happening already.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RoboRodent posted:

They tried to market it with the face capture tech being a great tool for the autistic to learn facial cues, but normal human beings aren’t nearly that hammy in normal situations. Doesn’t help that they last-minute changed the dialogue choice labels from “coax/force/accuse” to “truth/doubt/lie” either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dewgy posted:

They tried to market it with the face capture tech being a great tool for the autistic to learn facial cues, but normal human beings aren’t nearly that hammy in normal situations. Doesn’t help that they last-minute changed the dialogue choice labels from “coax/force/accuse” to “truth/doubt/lie” either.

It's pretty instructive watching things like the impeachment hearings, and the slightest, subtlest deviation from "total Congress poker face" is hailed far and wide as a giant impact-font reaction meme.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DandyLion posted:

And here I was thinking a hairless cat wouldn't have hairballs, but this is much MUCH worse.......

Cactus balls was my nickname in high school. Don't ask.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/41Strange/status/1198777550333284352

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1199465242364928006?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

then stop inviting those questions by giving up perfectly battle ready horses!