Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fknlo posted:

There may not be anyone on the planes, but there are still a good number of planes in the air. Way, way less than a week ago of course and it's supposed to continue dropping but they're absolutely still flying. The bumfuck Wyoming Skywest rush is still going on, but I'm sure they have to do that for whatever subsidies they get to carry corona virus to Gillette and Sheridan, Wyoming and all the other places in the middle of loving nowhere that they're flying to multiple times a day.

We can’t let everything go to seed, but airline executives need to cut the crap about the lost jobs and get realistic about how many planes we need in the long term.

Delta’s dead.

Let the most recalcitrant airlines fail. Cut the others to size.

This isn’t austerity. This is prioritising real resources on things people need to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why do you think Delta is dead? Delta is probably the most likely to stay alive out of the US big 3.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

We can’t let everything go to seed, but airline executives need to cut the crap about the lost jobs and get realistic about how many planes we need in the long term.

Delta’s dead.

Let the most recalcitrant airlines fail. Cut the others to size.

This isn’t austerity. This is prioritizing real resources on things people need to survive.

So in a "let's let the market suss this out" sorta situation (which to be clear, I support) who wins and who loses?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why do you think Delta is dead? Delta is probably the most likely to stay alive out of the US big 3.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So in a "let's let the market suss this out" sorta situation (which to be clear, I support) who wins and who looses?

You two know more about the airlines’ conditions than I do.

My thinking on Delta is that their fleet is the least efficient to run and it’s only going to get harder to maintain.

Why is Delta most likely to survive on their own? Simply because they didn’t spend every penny they had on stock buybacks?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

You two know more about the airlines’ conditions than I do.

My thinking on Delta is that their fleet is the least efficient to run and it’s only going to get harder to maintain.

Why is Delta most likely to survive on their own? Simply because they didn’t spend every penny they had on stock buybacks?

If low demand keeps fuel dirt cheap, Delta’s operational inefficiency might be more than offset by the fact that their fleet is essentially paid for.

Long live the Mad Dog!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If France continues to not be greatly affected Delta might end up with the youngest fleet among the US majors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

If low demand keeps fuel dirt cheap, Delta’s operational inefficiency might be more than offset by the fact that their fleet is essentially paid for.

Long live the Mad Dog!

Gently used planes will also be dirt cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wonder if there have been any studies on disease spread and air-route design.

For example, I live in Pittsburgh and with a few exceptions if I'm flying somewhere I'm going through Charlotte, Atlanta, NY, DC, or Houston. That stop seems like a prime opportunity to mix and spread a virus to other travelers as opposed to flying non-stop somewhere when I can just get in and out of an airport with as little interaction as I can manage.

I really wonder what structural changes we may see as a result of all this both in routes, boarding procedures, security lines, and how airports themselves are designed.

There are so many places in air travel where you bunch up with other people and interact with shared surfaces. I can't even begin to image how many security bins are tainted with coronavirus at this point. Think of how you hand your ID to a TSA agent. Even though that agent is wearing gloves, you are essentially touching everyone that passed through that line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oil is super cheap so there's not much disadvantage to running older hardware like the 717. efficient to keep flying was largely a maintenance and spares availability problem for MD-88s and 90s so you just accelerate the retirements and cut their flight hours since your demand for flight hours is low. since those planes are ancient they're fully depreciated assets and you don't owe lease money on them.

delta is carrying 10 billion in debt, and has five billion in cash and cash equivalents including receivables, vs AA is carrying roughly 40 billion in debt and a bit over five billion in cash and cash equivalents. they're still in a bad way but they are not in as bad a way as the others.

delta spent a ton of money on stock buybacks, but they had the best balance sheet going in to the stock buybackstravaganza

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I wonder if there have been any studies on disease spread and air-route design.

For example, I live in Pittsburgh and with a few exceptions if I'm flying somewhere I'm going through Charlotte, Atlanta, NY, DC, or Houston. That stop seems like a prime opportunity to mix and spread a virus to other travelers as opposed to flying non-stop somewhere when I can just get in and out of an airport with as little interaction as I can manage.

I really wonder what structural changes we may see as a result of all this both in routes, boarding procedures, security lines, and how airports themselves are designed.

There are so many places in air travel where you bunch up with other people and interact with shared surfaces. I can't even begin to image how many security bins are tainted with coronavirus at this point. Think of how you hand your ID to a TSA agent. Even though that agent is wearing gloves, you are essentially touching everyone that passed through that line.

how much money do you want to pay for 1x/day frequencies?

the answer for me as a extremely frequent business traveler is zero dollars

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

If France continues to not be greatly affected Delta might end up with the youngest fleet among the US majors.

France is the 4th most affected country in Europe (behind Germany, Spain and Italy in number of cases) and surpassed South Korea in number of cases.

France's death rate is pretty high too. They have had over 600 deaths compared to Germany with under 100 despite having fewer total cases.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how much money do you want to pay for 1x/day frequencies?

the answer for me as a extremely frequent business traveler is zero dollars

The strict adherence to money/cost is one of the contributing factors to all of this. I mean we can just go right back to the way things were, but this is going to happen again. And again. And again with increasing frequency as animals are forced into closer proximity to humans. We kinda need to look at every tool at our disposal for mitigation and prevention in the future.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 23, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The strict adherence to money/cost is one of the contributing factors to all of this. I mean we can just go right back to the way things were, but this is going to happen again. And again. And again with increasing frequency as animals are forced into closer proximity to humans. We kinda need to look at every tool at our disposal for mitigation and prevention in the future.

That doesn’t make number go up, so lol at it ever happening.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wonderful

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are still way too many flights going in and out of Aspen and Eagle. The private jets are mostly non-existent but Skywest is still doing their thing putting people in and out of a legitimately plague ridden area. I don't understand it at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fknlo posted:

There are still way too many flights going in and out of Aspen and Eagle. The private jets are mostly non-existent but Skywest is still doing their thing putting people in and out of a legitimately plague ridden area. I don't understand it at all.

Get ready to understand it less because there's every indication that the president is going to start countermanding closure orders soon to get things 'back to normal.'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...VS5oJ_N51ytAOUE

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1242131361130926080?s=19

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

It only took someone literally dying of covid at Everett for them to shut the place down

Wonder how far Spirit Aero will be behind them, already a bunch of our smaller customers in Ohio, California, etc are shut down

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Who would be wanting delivery of aircraft right now anyhow?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Boeing stock is way up on the news. I imagine everyone knows they've been hosed with the 1-2 punch of the MAX and CoViD, but them shutting down production in a big way is a sign they'll take drastic action to weather the recession.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nationalize boeing and the airlines hth

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

NightGyr posted:

Boeing stock is way up on the news. I imagine everyone knows they've been hosed with the 1-2 punch of the MAX and CoViD, but them shutting down production in a big way is a sign they'll take drastic action to weather the recession.

Stop paying the workers so we can pay our quarterly dividend to the stockholders

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

Stop paying the workers so we can pay our quarterly dividend to the stockholders

It's the American way :911:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Nationalize boeing and the airlines hth

Nah. But don’t bail them out either. Make stock buybacks illegal too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm somewhat of an aviation fan, and since I was a kid I've always loved fighter planes and jets. One of my all time favorites is the F4U Corsair. Just browsing youtube I found this great little video about the history of the Corsair so I thought I'd post it here. I learned a lot about the plane and have even more respect for it now, such an awesome aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6rD-BdY5w

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

Nah. But don’t bail them out either. Make stock buybacks illegal too.

I would like to keep my job, doesn't seem terribly likely if Boeing goes bankrupt

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I dunno, considering the North American automakers already idled all their plants, I'd say Boeing's hand was forced, so the message I hear is "we're dumb and learn nothing"

Dubai International has closed itself to passenger traffic.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

Long live the Mad Dog!

Fuel’s cheap because Russia and Saudi Arabia are having a price war. But either way, high fuel costs are not going to be a problem.

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious

Nebakenezzer posted:

Found some aeronautical insanity I've love to know more about :

Watched Everest (2015) - it's all about the 1996 Mt. Everest climbing disaster. Really good, nightmarish, and the CG for actually making it look like Mt. Everest is quite lovely. Josh Brolin's character, big Texan Beck gets the award for "least likely survival", because he's left for dead, and later manages to wake up, and walk to a camp on his own. The RL dude lost a hand and his nose to frostbite, and frankly even that seems cheap considering how impossibly hosed he was.

Anyway, they get a ride down Everest. Some impossibly brave Nepal SAR pilot flies his helicopter to Everest Base camp at 17,000 ft. He then loads beck, and then kinda falls down the mountain just on the edge of not being able to fly at all. Did this happen?

Hub Cat posted:

There is a first hand account in this video with more pictures (starts at 18:50) https://youtu.be/Bgqc2m7aBzs?t=1131
Edit: In real life it was actually at Camp 2 which is around 21,000 feet.

And here is a CNN article from the May 13th 1996:http://www.cnn.com/US/9605/13/everest/index.html

While I realize that this is an aviation thread, I think it's necessary to point out that this movie is total Hollywood and heavily biased against the well-regarded first person account of this disaster, as detailed in Into Thin Air by journalist and experienced climber and mountaineer John Krakauer, who both summited the mountain and survived the disaster. Primarily, the film portrays Anatoli Boukreev, a guide from the Mountain Madness group, as trying to rouse Krakauer to come help with attempts to rescue other climbers. Krakauer said that this interaction did not take place. Regardless of whether this conversation did take place or not, Boukreev was a guide of a different expedition who chose to summit without supplemental oxygen and did not baby sit his clients in their final descent, and casting aspersions at Krakauer, who was essentially just a client of a different expedition, is a clear red flag of this film.

To form your own opinion, I'd recommend reading thought the Wikipedia page for the disaster, the book Into Thin Air, and also the made for TV movie based on this account.

Regardless the Nepalese pilot was extremely brave and helped save the lives of those two climbers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lenny Nero posted:

Regardless the Nepalese pilot was extremely brave and helped save the lives of those two climbers.

TBH even looking up the wiki page of the disaster I got the impression that what actually happened was contested. Since we're here, I have to ask a question about Anatoli Boukreev. (Also: know almost nothing about mountain climbing.)

Given everything that happened in the film, I get why Boukreev was slightly disdainful of supplemental oxygen. But, I don't get how Boukreev could stay alive and functioning up in the death zone. Was he incredibly acclimated to high altitudes, an olympic class breather, or what?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arson Daily posted:

Make stock buybacks illegal too.

They'd just do the buybacks through a rathole/intermediary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They'd just do the buybacks through a rathole/intermediary.

Is that even possible?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that even possible?

When in doubt, write laws that *make* it possible or open loopholes to make it quasi-legal.

Dark money already exists - no reason you couldn't use it to buy/hold stock.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sure but the point of a stock buyback is that the company itself has removed shares from the market. Doing it through a back channel doesn't remove those shares from the market.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure but the point of a stock buyback is that the company itself has removed shares from the market. Doing it through a back channel doesn't remove those shares from the market.

But it does lock them down.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nebakenezzer posted:

TBH even looking up the wiki page of the disaster I got the impression that what actually happened was contested. Since we're here, I have to ask a question about Anatoli Boukreev. (Also: know almost nothing about mountain climbing.)

Given everything that happened in the film, I get why Boukreev was slightly disdainful of supplemental oxygen. But, I don't get how Boukreev could stay alive and functioning up in the death zone. Was he incredibly acclimated to high altitudes, an olympic class breather, or what?

One time I got into a mountaineering disaster binge and developed a small library out of it. They're all cobbled together from the inconsistent accounts of people motivated by various degrees of ego/glory preservation and filtered by barely-aware mental states under severe hypoxia, or pieced together by asynchronous events of who was seen at which camp at such and such time, or a climber wearing a X color suit at such and whatever time on whatever place on the mountain was seen through a telescope, or heard a radio transmission, or heard of an event through a telephone game of people who don't speak the same language, etc.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nebakenezzer posted:

The death zone isn't quickly disabling hypoxia like on a plane at a high altitude, it's more like you're very drunk and exhausted the entire time and if you persist long enough eventually you will die. You can acclimate to altitude(Everest expeditions typically have an acclimation period at the various camps) but people are physically unable to acclimate to death zone levels of oxygen deprivation. Boukreev was a very experienced climber and guide with over a dozen 8k summits including multiple on Everest, it seems to come down mostly to experience, fitness,talent, and good luck.:shrug: There is decent evidence that Tibetans and Sherpa people have a genetic adaptation to high altitudes, but it's unlikely Boukreev had anything similar.(There's around 200 known ascents that have summited Everest without supplemental oxygen including 3 by Boukreev and 19 climbers have done it on all 14 of the accepted eight-thousanders)

vessbot posted:

One time I got into a mountaineering disaster binge and developed a small library out of it. They're all cobbled together from the inconsistent accounts of people motivated by various degrees of ego/glory preservation and filtered by barely-aware mental states under severe hypoxia, or pieced together by asynchronous events of who was seen at which camp at such and such time, or a climber wearing a X color suit at such and whatever time on whatever place on the mountain was seen through a telescope, or heard a radio transmission, or heard of an event through a telephone game of people who don't speak the same language, etc.
This is true, I haven't seen Everest(2015) but I've read a handful of the accounts of the 1996 disaster and I would take all of them with a huge grain of salt. Even if they are all unbiased accounts(which to be clear they are not) you're reading something written months or years after an incredibly stressful event where everyone involved was exhausted, sleep deprived and hypoxic.
But I will say it's incredibly unfair if the movie took a shot at Jon Krakauer he was 100% there as a client and journalist and had no duty to rescue anyone and given he had no 8k experience likely wouldn't have been much help in any case if he didn't become a casualty himself.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 24, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The front fell off.

https://i.imgur.com/ibosIQM.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bro you gotta flare at least a little

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pilot has a flair for the dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is it me or are there -0- flaps dialled in?
e: poo poo, broke a float

This reminds me of that Widgeon trying to land at a bend in a river & winds up eating a gravel bar

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2020