Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The two slides that are allowed to be crowded are the first one that you leave up before you start while people arrive / argue about whatever was discussed immediately prior (I like to put a map of all the other slides on that, so nobody can read it but everybody knows roughly what's coming in terms of length and background images if they're attentive) and the last one you leave up at the end while everyone argues about what you just said (references, etc).

Edit: the worst snipe. Pretend I was angry about coffee.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

BigHead posted:

Then get a Nespresso.

I'm the guy hammering the button on the Nespresso to try to get more than a thimbleful of juice out of it. I guess you're supposed to just top it off with water if you're a barbarian americano drinker. But you're sitting there staring at a machine which doesn't give you hot water unless you run a whole 'nother cycle.

Then you get 2 more squirts of brown water.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 25, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

I picture that is what a PIP check in meeting is like.

This is a fabulous mental image.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Baddog posted:

I'm the guy hammering the button on the Nespresso to try to get more than a thimbleful of juice out of it. I guess you're supposed to just top it off with water if you're a barbarian americano drinker. But you're sitting there staring at a machine which doesn't give you hot water unless you run a whole 'nother cycle.

Lol yeah no one uses the nespresso at work because of this. The machine is nice, the taste is fine but jesus just a squirt for coffee. Everyone uses the flavia machine.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

There are two sizes of Nespresso canisters, a tiny espresso and a 7.7oz mug. Just buy the bigger one. I freaking love my Nespresso. Miles and miles ahead of the Keurig.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BigHead posted:

There are two sizes of Nespresso canisters, a tiny espresso and a 7.7oz mug. Just buy the bigger one. I freaking love my Nespresso. Miles and miles ahead of the Keurig.

The commercial/office ones come in these one size circular pods you drop in to a slot that make a teeny tiny cup and are not compatible with the home brewers (to prevent employees from taking them home I guess)

This is the kind we have in the office: https://www.nespresso.com/pro/us/en/order/capsules/pro/coffee-forte-box

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Reason the Office Isn’t Fun Anymore

The tl;dr is that many people that are now forced to come back into the office are seeking out the private pods and conference rooms, often staying in them all day and remaining in them for hours after zoom calls because they want privacy. They don’t want workplace collaboration and “office buzz”. Who’da thunk it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://archive.is/I0h0k

E: It's almost like people figured out you could get more and better quality work done when you have control over your own environment, a thing which was touted during the pandemic. And a thing nearly everyone forced to work in an open office has been saying forever - except the loud people. The rest of us spent all day with noise isolation headphones on.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 25, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was actually kind of excited to work in an office again (hybrid). Nice to get out of the house, commute under 30 minutes on a bad day, and had some friends who worked there so it would be cool to see them more often. Big emphasis on tracking “swipes” at this company, so at the top level, they want folks coming into their fancy new buildings too.

And then I get dropped into a team that is all located at a different office and is terrible at working remotely. Day 1 in the office, there’s no one to greet me. My manager set my working location in the wrong tower (and hasn’t fixed it). Didn’t find anyone that was even tangent to my team until months later, and I just get lunch with them sometimes as our day to day work doesn’t cross over.

So yeah, I’m at a random desk near my friend (and hopefully transferring to that team) or holed up in a phone room. Definitely no “chance hall way meetings” that execs love to claim is necessary for productivity and spark, and I’m looking to probably go back to remote work after my signing bonus is fulfilled and my resume doesn’t look like a complete mess after dealing with tech layoffs twice.

There’s some cool perks (good food, onsite gym for a really good price) but with a toddler & another on the way, I’m definitely not staying late to get drinks either. Dumb!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Nespresso is a great system for quickly and easily making half decent coffee, but does come with the baggage of being made by Nestle. And yes, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism, I do generally try to draw the line at the company that's depriving people of water so it can sell it for profit. Like, if you're Captain Planet villain levels of bad, I reckon that's a decent line.

Cacafuego posted:

The tl;dr is that many people that are now forced to come back into the office are seeking out the private pods and conference rooms, often staying in them all day and remaining in them for hours after zoom calls because they want privacy. They don’t want workplace collaboration and “office buzz”. Who’da thunk it?

Oh so people in the OFFICE like to have access to an OFFICE and not just the work equivalent of a Wagamammas where you're dumped on a bench next to a bunch of people you've never met in your life? How weird.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

https://archive.is/I0h0k

E: It's almost like people figured out you could get more and better quality work done when you have control over your own environment, a thing which was touted during the pandemic. And a thing nearly everyone forced to work in an open office has been saying forever - except the loud people. The rest of us spent all day with noise isolation headphones on.

We're all being punished by the extroverts too lazy to get a loving hobby so they don't have to make the rest of us suffer.

Go get some friends damnit!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I have an actual office (shared, but walls and a door) so I can tolerate hybrid but holy poo poo open floorplan feedstock experience? foh

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

in a well actually posted:

I have an actual office (shared, but walls and a door) so I can tolerate hybrid but holy poo poo open floorplan feedstock experience? foh

I am required to book a desk when I want to go in the office, but the booking tool only allows you to select a block of around fifty desks. All the blocks I can book can be booked by anyone, from any department, regardless of home office location so I can be sat next to literally anyone doing anything. One day I was sat in the middle of a bunch of front line operations people, the next I was sat next to a senior HR person aggressively explaining to people on a conference call that actually they should be grateful they get to do home working at all and their contract says 100% office attendance. And it's all open plan. Block of fifty desks, translucent wall, meeting area, translucent wall, another block of fifty desks. Anyone arguing that this encourages collaborative working is a liar, because even if you got fifty people doing the same task on the same block of desks (which you could only do by overriding the desk booking tool and shuffling anyone not from your workstream somewhere else), what are they going to be doing that they need to be in yelling distance of each other at all times?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'm definitely the guy that monopolizes the private pod all day, but I don't give a poo poo what people on the floor think because I don't have any idea who they are or what they do. None of my team works in this state so even if they're upset with me they don't know who to complain to.

Also I have misophonia and being isolated from noise keeps me calm. Also I think I'm the last person in this company still wearing a mask to work.

I hate how the people pushing for return to office are the same people that actually have offices with doors that close. I'd love to see how fast that would change if the CEO had to find a new cube every time he came in.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've made it clear with my teams that if I'm in the office I'm here to socialize. People see me, people ask me ad-hoc things, I ask people ad-hoc things, we do whiteboarding and meetings that are best done in physical space. If I don't physically have to be there, I won't be. I cannot work on large scale projects in the office.

So I'm usually in the office for a half/three-quarters day once or twice a week.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
It's wild seeing the CMO and CFO working at desks near me in the open office. They do spend most of the day in meeting rooms on calls, but I see them typing out emails and such fairly often. Of course our HQ goes online this year, and I'm sure they'll have real offices then.

Watching the lab workers loudly chatting at their desks on break ten feet from the CMO who is visibly getting more and more annoyed is amazing though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We're talking about doing a Tues-Thurs in office 1 week a month. I kinda like this idea as it means you still spend most of your time at home but then the "in office" time you actually have most of a week to find a flow. It'll also mean thats when our truly remote people will get to fly in, etc and not have someone come out to HQ and then only be around a small portion of the larger org.

We have some legit problems that have come up with teams getting too compartmentalized and sometimes having competing priorities. I think this could be solveable without RTO but there's a kind of tragedy of the commons going on where few teams are doing the right things because no one else is. I think actual face time and things like:

Vasudus posted:

People see me, people ask me ad-hoc things, I ask people ad-hoc things, we do whiteboarding and meetings that are best done in physical space.

will probably get people to adjust into better behaviors and habits and hopefully get us past this "Well I'm not going to check in with this other squad if they never check in with me"-type issues.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lockback posted:

We're talking about doing a Tues-Thurs in office 1 week a month. I kinda like this idea as it means you still spend most of your time at home but then the "in office" time you actually have most of a week to find a flow. It'll also mean thats when our truly remote people will get to fly in, etc and not have someone come out to HQ and then only be around a small portion of the larger org.

Are the remote people being asked to fly in to HQ every month? If I was hired remote I'd be loving pissed

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inept posted:

Are the remote people being asked to fly in to HQ every month? If I was hired remote I'd be loving pissed

No, like "If you are a remote person and were planning on flying in, align with the "in office" week when you do".

We'd like to target remote people flying in 1-2 times a year.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My experience being back in a real office after 2 years of almost completely remote:
* commute sucks at bad times of day, but my car is lovely to be in and has an amazing stereo
* I have already exhausted all lunch options within walking distance
* it is nice being around team coworkers again and having actual meetings around big table. My team is good though and no time wasters or jerks
* people slurping coffee drives me absolutely insane
* ditto people sniffing. Blow your loving nose already Jesus.

Work wise the setup is nicer than my home office with dual monitors and an adjustable height standing desk. I don’t stand but I put it up higher because I’m tall so that’s nice.

Overall I’m happy to be in an office again, although the commute does suck up more time than I’d like. It ranges from 25 minutes best case to over an hour if poo poo is hosed. In the case of snow events that can literally triple but that’s a once a year thing. There is a light rail next to the office but none near my house and would be about an hour and a half total if I bussed it to the train. It’s not even far there just are no good direct routes to the train!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So my small company got some new equipment installed by a vendor who, as part of the deal and transparently just to inflate their margin, insisted on a technician personally flying out to our location for a full day training, with our four (4) relevant people, in what is really a very simple interface even I can figure out just from its documentation. The guy literally flew in Thursday at like 4AM and flew out same day at 7PM. He himself cheerfully acknowledged absolutely nothing took place that couldn't have been, at most, a zoom call. Owner signed off on it (over my suggestion to tell them to stuff it).

Guess who has covid now?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The equipment were new lickable doorknobs??

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

priznat posted:

The equipment were new lickable doorknobs??

Knob licking would have at least made the price more reasonable I suspect

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eric the Mauve posted:

So my small company got some new equipment installed by a vendor who, as part of the deal and transparently just to inflate their margin, insisted on a technician personally flying out to our location for a full day training, with our four (4) relevant people, in what is really a very simple interface even I can figure out just from its documentation. The guy literally flew in Thursday at like 4AM and flew out same day at 7PM. He himself cheerfully acknowledged absolutely nothing took place that couldn't have been, at most, a zoom call. Owner signed off on it (over my suggestion to tell them to stuff it).

Guess who has covid now?

Thank you for your noble sacrifice. Without it our goal of collaboration wouldn't be possible.

Maybe if you're lucky, your VP will send you thoughts and prayers come bonus time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm actually the only one of the four trainees that's not currently sick (covid positive but asymptomatic, thank $DEITY), but the correct answer to the question "guess who has covid now?" is "everyone on both airplanes."

It's just dumb as hell.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It’s incredibly hard for me to work in an office anymore because I need to blast heavy metal to quiet my tinnitus and actually sit down and write a proposal. Yes I know headphones are a thing but I haven’t found any I like for my small lady ears. And it’s annoying as gently caress to lead a kickoff call surrounded by other people talking loudly on the phone.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm actually the only one of the four trainees that's not currently sick (covid positive but asymptomatic, thank $DEITY), but the correct answer to the question "guess who has covid now?" is "everyone on both airplanes."

It's just dumb as hell.

A friend of mine just flew NYC > CA for work. Went in, said hi to everyone, immediately tested positive for COVID. Spent a few days sick in a hotel room and is now flying back (masked, but still). Everyone on both airplanes is right.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 25, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Wearing a mask when jammed onto the plane ain't that hard folks. Not getting sick is cool, more people should try it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cacafuego posted:

Funnily enough I was seeing workplaces with "meeting pods" show up around 2018 so people didn't have to book a whole meeting room for a zoom call. Immediately before that I had a desk within two rows of the CISO and CTO and kept getting told to be quieter when saying things like "hey should I be able to access this server from here?".

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thank god I'm not important because I don't think I will be getting on an airplane again for the foreseeable future due this covid crap. That's where everyone I hear about seems to get it, though it might just be travel itself which is often planes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I have died. I am all the dead inside now. (Go green, stop recording meetings using the Google Meetings record function.)

Just call out the IP risks and the cost of server space or something; you don't have to make up some horseshit climate reason that probably legitimately has less environmental impact than us arguing about coffee.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And we're going completely carbon neutral!! I LOVE YOU NEW YORK!!!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Sorry all, when I last had to go into the office I'm afraid I was one of those people on a call all the drat time, often presenting loudly. And they had me sitting in the middle of a bunch of developers. They would laugh a bit (sarcastically) about being up on all my business.

There were conference rooms, but a) they were always booked up b) way harder to present off a laptop instead of my multiple screen setup and c) people give you the stink-eye if you're in a conference room by yourself. I ended up only getting a room if it was sensitive info or if there was another person locally on the call I could invite. The very few desks with a door were only for EVP+ .

The modern "in the office" dynamic is such a goddamn hellhole.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

The in-office parts of my org were in a remote work pilot in the second half of 2023. Everyone was allowed to WFH as much as they wanted, and they had to fill a survey every 2 weeks to say if they thought it was good.

The pilot ended on Dec 31, but they didn't tell anyone the results. They finally sent out an announcement this week stating (paraphrased) "while the results of the pilot were overwhelmingly positive, we find that it's better to be in-person. We expect everyone to have already resumed in-office work at the beginning of the year."

Surprising no one, people are upset about this communication.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

Sorry all, when I last had to go into the office I'm afraid I was one of those people on a call all the drat time, often presenting loudly. And they had me sitting in the middle of a bunch of developers. They would laugh a bit (sarcastically) about being up on all my business.

There were conference rooms, but a) they were always booked up b) way harder to present off a laptop instead of my multiple screen setup and c) people give you the stink-eye if you're in a conference room by yourself. I ended up only getting a room if it was sensitive info or if there was another person locally on the call I could invite. The very few desks with a door were only for EVP+ .

The modern "in the office" dynamic is such a goddamn hellhole.

Then I visited the offices in singapore, and people there were *sharing* cubicles way smaller than ours. Almost sitting in each others laps. I guess that's the future.

(hah, lemmee rephrase this)

Baddog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 25, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Then I visited the offices in singapore, and people there were *sharing* loving cubicles, cubicles way smaller than ours. Almost sitting in each others laps. I guess that's the future.

Boy I read this wrong at first

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

The in-office parts of my org were in a remote work pilot in the second half of 2023. Everyone was allowed to WFH as much as they wanted, and they had to fill a survey every 2 weeks to say if they thought it was good.

The pilot ended on Dec 31, but they didn't tell anyone the results. They finally sent out an announcement this week stating (paraphrased) "while the results of the pilot were overwhelmingly positive, we find that it's better to be in-person. We expect everyone to have already resumed in-office work at the beginning of the year."

Ahahahaahahha god drat that is loving hilarious

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

How much time do you think was spent debating whether they should acknowledge that everyone thought the wfh pilot was a good idea, and if so, how do we still tell them that we don’t care and they are going to do what we tell them?

Really took some time to polish that ol’ turd, didn’t they?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

I have died. I am all the dead inside now. (Go green, stop recording meetings using the Google Meetings record function.)

Just call out the IP risks and the cost of server space or something; you don't have to make up some horseshit climate reason that probably legitimately has less environmental impact than us arguing about coffee.

Please think of the environment before reading this excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Boy I read this wrong at first

In fairness, a cubicle like that, you WOULD want to be in each other's laps right? :v: