Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

There's one quote that has stuck with me, and I think it's one of the more profound things Pterry has written. I just can't remember exactly how it went or in which book it is, but it goes something like: "When things become more important than people - that's when you know things are starting to go wrong." Anyone know the quote? Was it Vimes or Granny or someone else?

Anyway, I think that's an excellent moral guideline all in all. Money becomes more important than people? A red light should go off in your head. Principles more important than people? Same. Religion, geography or ideas become more important than people? Bad things are likely to happen. And so on.

Also, his point about the torturers in Small Gods has stuck with me: They're just ordinary people with families and mugs that say "worlds greatest dad" or something, who happen to have a job where they horribly torture others. The point being that ordinary people can do terrible things to others if it's made into a part of whats "usual", "ordinary" or "expected". I think that's a pretty important thing to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
RIP Terry. One of my biggest influences as a writer and a human being. Been reading Discworld books since before I was ten. I still remember when my mum pressed her copy of The Colour of Magic into my hands. Terry Pratchett taught me to really love literature. I think he may have taught me a few things about loving my fellow human beings as well. Sad to see him go :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Oh precious katana posted:

There's one quote that has stuck with me, and I think it's one of the more profound things Pterry has written. I just can't remember exactly how it went or in which book it is, but it goes something like: "When things become more important than people - that's when you know things are starting to go wrong." Anyone know the quote? Was it Vimes or Granny or someone else?

Carpe Jugulum? I'm pretty sure the speaker is Granny. It seems like her :unsmith:

Possibly Granny Weatherwax posted:

"It's not as simple as that. It's not a black-and-white issue. There are so many shades of gray."
"There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
"It's a lot more complicated than that-"
"No. It ain't. When people say things are more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes-"
"But they starts with thinking about people as things…"

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you mean the quote is in Spanish? It doesn't sound like a saying or adage that I know of. Could you give me the original?
No, the quote has to be from a Discworld book. In fact, I seem to vaguely remember something like that, probably in a footnote. Anyway, in Spanish it goes "La banca es un juego muy viejo que se llama 'A ver hasta dónde cuela'". Oh, it's actually "...a game that's called...". :confused: And I don't know what "colar" is supposed to do.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Fat Samurai posted:

Carpe Jugulum? I'm pretty sure the speaker is Granny. It seems like her :unsmith:

Yep. It's Granny and Oats.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

supermikhail posted:

No, the quote has to be from a Discworld book. In fact, I seem to vaguely remember something like that, probably in a footnote. Anyway, in Spanish it goes "La banca es un juego muy viejo que se llama 'A ver hasta dónde cuela'". Oh, it's actually "...a game that's called...". :confused: And I don't know what "colar" is supposed to do.

It's the oldest game, called 'what can I get away with?'

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh.

quote:

Dear Mr Bent, it is a game, and it's an old game called “What can we get away with?”

Also, another phenomenon is, I think, called "confabulation", because this is from Making Money, and I haven't read that yet.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Oh no :( I was dreading this day ever since I heard about his condition. Still, I refuse to believe that he died of complications, I choose instead to believe that he did manage to make his own arrangements. Death liked Terry's portrayal of him so much that he did him a solid.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks! I think I got the quotes mixed up. There's also this, from Interesting Times:

Interesting Times posted:

In the foetid sack Rincewind grimaced. He was already beginning to take a dislike to the first speaker, as one naturally does with people urging that you be put to death without delay. But when that sort of person started talking about things being more important than people, you knew you were in big trouble.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Interesting Times was my first guess, too.

Rincewind posted:

"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

quote:

'But there are causes worth dying for,' said Butterfly.
'No, there aren't! Because you've only got one life but you can pick up another five causes on any street corner!'
'Good grief, how can you live with a philosophy like that?'
Rincewind took a deep breath.
'Continuously!'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lprsti99 posted:

Oh no :( I was dreading this day ever since I heard about his condition. Still, I refuse to believe that he died of complications, I choose instead to believe that he did manage to make his own arrangements.

You are literally wishing that he suffered more before he died, you stupid loving twat.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

How they do rise up.

minema
May 31, 2011
My grandma introduced me to Terry Pratchett when I was about 13 and mostly reading rubbish fantasy, and after that it was always 'ours', she'd always get them for me for Christmas :3: I remember visiting her in the hospice and she was reading Going Postal, unfortunately she never finished it. I inherited her Discworld books and ever since then they've had more meaning to me than any other books. Every time I re-read them I see something new that I didn't before, and I love having books where I know that the older I get, the more I'll find in them. Feet of Clay was the first I ever read, sitting in my grandma's living room, so I think it's due a re-read. :unsmith:

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

You are literally wishing that he suffered more before he died, you stupid loving twat.

That's not what he said. He (or she) said that he chooses to believe that the complications of Terry's disease were not the cause of death (i.e. that it was not sudden and unexpected), but that Terry arranged his own death for himself to happen when and where it suited him best.

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 13, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh precious katana posted:

That's not what he said. He (or she) said that he chooses to believe that the complications of Terry's disease were not the cause of death (i.e. that it was not sudden and unexpected), but that Terry arranged his own death for himself to happen when and where it suited him best.

Yes, and Terry was quite clear that he would only arrange his own death if life became too much to bear. Dying of natural causes meant that it didn't ever become unbearable and he didn't degenerate too far. Dying by his own choice meant that it did. Get it?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Sorry too see you go Sir Terry, one of my favourite authors from the last 20 years. Strangely enough I'm dog sitting a dog called Igor tonight

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Yes, and Terry was quite clear that he would only arrange his own death if life became too much to bear. Dying of natural causes meant that it didn't ever become unbearable and he didn't degenerate too far. Dying by his own choice meant that it did. Get it?

Oh, now I understand what you meant. No need to be so aggressive about it, though. I don't think anyone here wanted him to suffer, and I hope he had a peaceful death.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress this hurts more than I thought it would. Thank you for your wit, your charm, your kindness and your worlds.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm sure the first German translator did. Those translations are by repute pretty dire.

He used to mention one old European translator - I think it was in Germany or possibly Russia - that used to insert adverts for soup right in the middle of the text. Which, in typing that, reminded me of those adverts for Discworld miniatures that used to be printed right at the end of the old paperbacks.

I've still got my ancient, raggedy copy of Small Gods sitting in my closet, I think I might retrieve it this weekend...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That was in Germany, but it was the publisher's doing (and Terry actually changed publishers over it) and not as such "in the middle of the text", more like an extra page inserted somewhere that had the ad, although they did make clumsy attempts at integrating it with the current scene ("couldn't our heroes go for a bowl of soup right now"). Here is a more comprehensive account of the whole business, but sadly it seems to have lost its example image.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I started reading Pterry when I was just starting high school and was a lonely kid who had moved to a totally new area and who knew nobody but the librarian. I started out with Equal Rites, since it had the most colourful cover and I was an easily distracted boy. By 20 pages in I was hooked. When I was in hospital with lupus I was given every single Discworld book and I read them all, drawing strength from them and finding reasons to fight and live in their humour and genius. When I learned of Pterry's struggles and illness I reevaluated my beliefs and became more compassionate towards situations I have no way to directly draw upon. His literature has given me laughs, friends, tears and memories, and I shall always treasure his collected genius and celebrate his wonderful love of life. Much as I don't believe in an afterlife, I hope he's at peace now, and I hope his family is in as good a spirit as one could possibly be in this situation.

“Sometimes the only thing you could do for people was to be there.”
― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

You were, and you enriched so many of our lives.

Thank you.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

I was operating off of a quote I'd heard that he had already started preparations for his assisted suicide death back in 2011, so I believed that he'd intended to do it before he got to that point. If I was mistaken, then of course I'm glad he passed before he reached that point (as glad as I can be that he passed, period, anyway :(). Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

E: And you ignored the second part, when I added that Death itself was what assisted him because he liked Pterry's portrayal of him.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Warbird posted:

If anyone could or would, it would be him. I never got around to reading And Another Thing..., but I'd like to think Colfer did Adams justice. Gaiman was close to Terry and I think he'd do his damnedest to make the best possible book he could if given the chance.

Colfer didn't do Adams justice. It was a bad book of basically nothing but callbacks to previous jokes. Usually if a book is even moderately ok I can push through it in a couple of days. It took me a month to read the non Adams hitchhikers book.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One Cecil Wormsborough St. John Nobbs was caught pilfering from the deceased.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I couldn't find my copy of Reaper Man anywhere, so I picked it up to re-read this weekend. It's hard to explain, but this feels akin to a personal bereavement...

I met Terry Pratchett once when I was about 13. He was at a book signing, and I was running late to get there. He was packing up as I arrived, but he still took the time to sign a copy of a book for me, and asked which was my favourite. I was so awestruck I could barely speak. He just smiled, and wrote 'Boo!' next to his signature.

:smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Interesting Times was my first guess, too.
I'm glad that he did resolve one thing: Rincwind got his wish of not living an adventurous life fulfilled. He got to live a boring life at Unseen University, even when something happens there (like in Unseen Academicals) he manages to stay clear of it :unsmith:

Also, this is seriously the only "celebrity" (he was so much more than just a celebrity) where I actually felt sad. A light has gone out in the world and it we shall not see it lit again.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This made me laugh and cry at the same time

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
drat.

This is the first time I've gotten all teary-eyed over the death of a famous person. God, I love his books. I've never read a Discworld books just once. I'm in the middle of a re-read of the Watch books right now, too. I think I'll break it up and read Reaper Man, though. I feel a need for that.

He was an amazing writer and the world feels just a little bit smaller, darker and colder now. Time for a flamethrower, I guess.

Favorite quote: "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Heavy sad. I donated a chunk of cash to the UK Alzheimer's Soceity this morning. Too little and too late, but I hope he would have appreciated it.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Visiting a friend of mine this weekend who has a 12 year old showing strong signs of turning into a well read grown up one day. What's a good starter book that will really get the bit between the teeth? I was thinking Small Gods

I've been in a malaise since yesterday so if anything it will be cathartic to introduce someone to these books. March 12 should forever be known as Embuggerance Day.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

I couldn't find my copy of Reaper Man anywhere, so I picked it up to re-read this weekend. It's hard to explain, but this feels akin to a personal bereavement...

I met Terry Pratchett once when I was about 13. He was at a book signing, and I was running late to get there. He was packing up as I arrived, but he still took the time to sign a copy of a book for me, and asked which was my favourite. I was so awestruck I could barely speak. He just smiled, and wrote 'Boo!' next to his signature.

:smith:

"WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK?"
" 's"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PJOmega posted:

" 's"

Beautiful.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bhaal posted:

Visiting a friend of mine this weekend who has a 12 year old showing strong signs of turning into a well read grown up one day. What's a good starter book that will really get the bit between the teeth? I was thinking Small Gods

I've been in a malaise since yesterday so if anything it will be cathartic to introduce someone to these books. March 12 should forever be known as Embuggerance Day.

Guards! Guards! might also be a great starting point.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Bhaal posted:

I'd go with Guards! Guards! or the Tiffany Aching books (Wee Free Men is the first one, isn't it?). The Tiffany books are made for that age and Guards is a great all-round intro.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bhaal posted:

"Guards! Guards!", " Wee Free Men," or "Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" would be my suggestions. "Small Gods" is utterly amazing but as a first Pratchett book it's a lot to take in.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

PJOmega posted:

" 's"

Ha! Maybe I did my little bit to inspire Hogfather. :unsmith:

With regard to first book, I know it's one of the early ones, but I've always liked Equal Rites. In some ways, it's a good introduction to feminism as much as anything else.

Edit: or yeah, the Tiffany Aching books are great for younger readers.

Edit 2: Oh man, pre-death Windle Poons in Reaper Man. I'll never consider him annoying again.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2015

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I've read my first discworld book in my early teens, remembering parts of his sci fi works from more than a decade ago, and just finished Long Mars about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't aware how much of my lifetime can be described in Units Of PTerry until now. :(

Fun Fact: was born a day after Colour Of Magic has been published.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
We can always try and request his return.

I'm on my nth tour through the entire series of Discworld, going in main character order at the moment(Started with Watch, then Witches, followed by Tiffany Aching, now on Rincewind, happen to just have started Interesting Times)

I'll finish off by re-reading his other works as well. Been a while since I read Strata and Good Omens.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wipfmetz posted:

Fun Fact: was born a day after Colour Of Magic has been published.

I was born around the same time too. I turned up at a signing when I was 21 or so and with cheerful tactlessness informed him of that fact, which he said made him feel quite incredibly ancient.

My copy of Going Postal is dedicated to "Irisi, as old as the Disc".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pidmon posted:

Shamelessly stolen from Tumblr:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Stroth posted:

GNU
Sir Terence David John Pratchett
1948 - 2015
A man is not dead while his name is still spoken.

So I stole this from you two and am trying to make it--well, the text of the second quote--a bit of a Thing on twitter. Thank you/sorry. It's probably pointless, all told, but I wanted to do something.